Thoughts On “I’m Bored”

from Seth’s Blog

If you’re under 14: “Good.”

It’s good that you’re feeling bored. Bored is an actual feeling. Bored can prompt forward motion. Bored is the thing that happens before you choose to entertain yourself. Bored is what empty space feels like, and you can use that empty space to go do something important. Bored means that you’re paying attention (no one is bored when they’re asleep.)

If you’re over 14: “That’s on you.”

As soon as you’re tired of being bored at work, at home, on lockdown, wherever, you’ll go find a challenge. You don’t have to quit your day job to be challenged, but you do have to be willing to leap, to take some responsibility, to find something that might not work.

I’m glad you’re feeling bored, and now we’re excited to see what you’re going to go do about it.

, ,

30 Responses to Thoughts On “I’m Bored”

1. Matthew Pavlik April 29, 2020 at 10:37 pm #

On Saturday, they’re allowing NJ citizens to golf again — then, and only then, will I stop being bored.

Just kidding, but it will give me something to do. Being bored in life is dangerous, as it fosters nothing but itself if no effort is made to get out of it. As an adult, I don’t just wait around for someone to tell me I am doing something so that I cannot be bored; life in quarantine is a great example. I’ve spent a lot of my extra free time in creative projects. By making videos, “memes”, art, and studying things that I like, I feel that, at worst, I’m not going to be left “worse for wear” after the pandemic “goes away”. Maybe one day I will be able to use the skills I am learning with certain software to do a job or get one, and I am sure of a few ways to do it, but it’s much better than doing nothing. The real trick will be to do things that I do not want to do, like real learning for example, but when I have no school work to do and truly have nothing but free time, I will either fall back on work or learning (hopefully both).

Finding something that might not work, however, is the best “easier said than done” that anyone can do during a time like this where there are virtually no consequences for failing, especially someone like me who is locked into school for the next few years no matter what. Let’s say I spend a month doing some LinkedIn learning and come out of it thinking, “Wow, that was bad. I’m never doing that again!” I still have it under my belt that a) I did it and b) I know I don’t want to do it. That’s horribly pessimistic, too, because odds are I’ll derive something from a month’s worth of work, as would anyone else. Thinking about that in this context, there’s literally no reason not to try something new in a time like this.

2. Colleen O'Keefe April 30, 2020 at 2:28 pm #

As the final two weeks of the semester are coming to an end, I am longing for the days that I will be bored. Since being home as a result of the schools shutting down, I am not facing the boredom that I usually face when stuck at home, though that is not to say that I am not bored sometimes. I’ve gotten lags in my schoolwork every so often that has prompted me to do something productive for myself like work out or clean my room. However, there are rarely times that I have not had at least one assignment or another looming over my head which doesn’t allow any long-term projects that I can commit my time to. I feel like I am constantly moving from one assignment to the next, figuring out what to prioritize first as all of my work for my classes has either remained the same or increased. Any breaks that I have usually consist of me sitting on my phone which ultimately leads to me feeling guilty and unproductive. With the summer coming and less to do because of the pandemic, I am somewhat excited to welcome this new boredom and find myself a new challenge as the author of “Thoughts on “I’m bored”” suggests. I know I will likely regret my initial statement when I have no more work to do and still can’t go out and do the things that I would like to. However, I am hoping that this will encourage me to take up a new hobby, or rediscover one that I have been wanting to do but could not find the time to as a result of school and working during the academic year and working over the summer. Whether this is gardening like have done in the past or making masks and donating or selling them (as my sister has begun to think of doing), I look forward to the new things that my boredom will spark.

3. John McKenna April 30, 2020 at 9:12 pm #

Over the course of quarantine, I’ve kept in touch with many friends I met on campus. I talk to them frequently, and I always mention to my one friend that I’m always so bored. And she always replies with the same type of response, “So? Go do something about it.” This type of attitude is the same that this blofpost has, and it’s a position that is critical to have for those looking to get something done. Boredom hits all of us, even outside of quarantine. It happens during work, at home, even when you are doing something that should be fulfilling or engaging. This boredom is a biological tool, a weapon that all of us have and can use to the greatest extent. Boredom is a driver for new horizons, it inspires people to do better in their jobs, or find new things to do with their life. It’s counterintuitive to think that boredom it intrinsically tied to productive and social behaviour. But its exactly that sense of meaninglessness and helplessness that fosters the need to take action. I mean really, what else is there to do when you are bored? Humans are pattern loving creatures, we see figures in the clouds and faces in the dark, but this doesn’t mean that you should lead a life of monotony. That isn’t to say boredom can lead to negatives as well. Many become aggressive or angry when bored, in an effort to find ways to stimulate themselves. In that sense, boredom is really a double-edged sword; it can be used to broaden horizons, or it can cause you to be further depressed. It is really how u spend your time, what you do with that bored feeling when it happens. The decision to go and learn something new is completely in your hands, boredom is just a kick in the butt to get started sooner than later.

4. Wasima Rashid May 1, 2020 at 1:27 pm #

This pandemic forced millions of people throughout the world to stay home. According to Johns Hopkins University, there are 3,276,373 confirmed cases around the globe recorded till now. All of the schools, colleges, most of the workplaces, shopping malls, gyms, theaters, museums, etc. are closed down due to the executive order of the State and Government. Fortunately, Schools, colleges, some companies, and non-profit organizations like Google, Microsoft, Apple are capable of using the digital or virtual platform without halting their daily activities. Although people those activities are keeping people busy for a while but it’s not enough. People are getting stress and anxiety from these sudden changes. A person who spent at least 8-12 hours outside and met and talked with at least 10 to 40 people every day, it totally makes sense he could freak out and get bored by sitting home.

The article “thoughts on “I’m bored” on Seth’s blog is really interesting. In this article, the author defines the feeling of being bored as the awareness of the conscious mind. “It’s good that you’re feeling bored. Bored is an actual feeling. Bored can prompt forward motion. Bored is the thing that happens before you choose to entertain yourself. Bored is what empty space feels like, and you can use that empty space to go do something important. Bored means that you’re paying attention (no one is bored when they’re asleep).” This is something about which I never think about it before. Rather than just getting the feeling of being bored, people can think and do any other stuff to remove just this boredom and can utilize this properly.

The author also said that “As soon as you’re tired of being bored at work, at home, on lockdown, wherever you’ll go find a challenge. You don’t have to quit your day job to be challenged, but you do have to be willing to leap, to take some responsibility, to find something that might not work.” People can make art, learn a Language, plant some seeds, read a good Book, make music, catch up with friends, etc. to eliminate the boredom and to use the time effectively. These are going to help them for sure and to be more creative.

Reference:

5. Morgan Mooney May 1, 2020 at 1:40 pm #

I liked this post and agree that boredom is a feeling that we all get. Being bored means that you have nothing in front of you to entertain yourself. Nothing is challenging your brain to grow or develop. When someone is bored, they will look for something to do that will challenge them to entertain them for some time. I also agree with the author’s take on how boredom is what empty space feels like and how it gives us an urge to fill that emptiness with something of importance. Boredom can be used for good in how we go fill our time with when we are bored. If we go and be productive then that feeling of boredom was good. Boredom can also cause us to stop paying attention or to get out of the flow of things. That means when I get bored in class, I will not pay attention because I will look for something for entertaining to watch or look at.
    Boredom is a big topic right now because no one can do anything. Everyone is trapped inside and forced to just look at screens all day. People always complained about how kids spent too much time on their phones or complaining about kids staying inside and playing video games. Now, that is all anyone can do. Parents are having to watch their kids all day while trying to be on conference calls and Zoom meetings. There is not even anything to watch on TV and there’s not much new content coming out because not many people are filming movies or television shows. No sports are playing and there’s nothing to really look forward to in sports because we have no idea when they will be playing again.

6. Austin Minogue May 1, 2020 at 3:42 pm #

The reasoning for doing nothing or being lazy has always been “I’m bored” or something along those lines. Nowadays the term boredom bas been brought to a whole new level, with most of us stuck in our homes with not much to entertain ourselves with. Most businesses are closed and even parks and beaches. However, there are many other things that can keep us preoccupied in the time being. The article “Thoughts on “I’m bored””, explains just that. If you are under 14 years old around the time you are in middle school that is a valid excuse. Anything older, there is always something better that you could be doing with your time. Find something challenging, take a problem that you may be having or something that is a problem and try to find a solution, and it will solve all of your problems with boredom. A great quote from the article says “Being challenged at work is a privilege. It means that you have a chance, on someone else’s nickel, to grow. It means you can choose to matter.” I think that it shows us how good being challenged can feel. It is the satisfaction that one gets after solving a problem or completing something that for me is one of the best feelings you can get. There is no excuse to being bored, with something always out there for you to do. Boredom can lead to innovation so it is a question of ‘how bored are you, to do something special’.

7. Lucas Waraksa May 1, 2020 at 4:16 pm #

My parents have always hated when I would say, “I’m bored.” They are always quick to retort with, “well the dishwasher needs to be emptied” or “the floors are little dirty,” implying that their is always something for me to do. As Ive gotten older I have grown to loath the phrase myself. I tend to overthink everything. When I’m bored, I feel like I am wasting time. I then think about the definitive time I have left on earth, and I’m never going to get any time back. In short, I always want to occupy myself with something. As the author alludes to you, if you are bored than you are not being challenged. its easy to be bored doing the same thing every single day, because you grow used to it. For instance, math problems become tedious to me if I already know how to do them. The challenge and thrill of solving new problems gives me excitement and a feeling of accomplishment. Then once I master the next set of problems I have to move on again. This cycle is called growth. In order to grow you have to be continuously challenging yourself, and you have to fight the urge to stay complacent. In everything you do in life, if you really think about it, there is more that you can do. For instance at work, when I have taken care of all my deliveries and food orders, I can still stock inventory. When Ive stocked inventory I can clean. When I am done cleaning I can help out others. In order to be the best at anything, you have to be willing to do what others won’t. If you ever find yourself bored, chances are that you aren’t doing everything you can do.

8. Roger McCurdy III May 1, 2020 at 5:19 pm #

Boredom is a horrible thing. This article says, hey why don’t you just not be bored, or something to that extent. It’s actually a pretty logical point as well. There is always something to do, especially with our computers in front of us. In fact, there are endless possibilities. Of course it is better to fill our time with activities that will hone our skills or teach us something new, but even useless time wasting activities can combat boredom. For me, I have been playing more video games that usual during the pandemic, but looking at it I have actually been learning a few things. A few games I have been playing are on a Minecraft server, Call of Duty Zombies, and Monopoly. The Minecraft server and monopoly have a very distinct business atmosphere to them. The idea of the Minecraft server is to make money and advance, and there are quite a few ways to do this. You can make a mob farm where you are essentially paying someone (a mob spawner) to make you money, mining which is similar to manual labor, or scamming. There is also a complex economy involved and it includes a server shop, trading, and a public, server-wide auction house. The use of all of these allows us to make money and advance. Monopoly does not need much of an explanation, but making good trades is key. Call of Duty Zombies has complex quests and recently I have been trying to complete them in the fastest time possible with my friends. This has led us to push the limits of what we can do and innovate new strategies.

I also have wanted to start a YouTube channel for awhile, and I think that I will finally make that leap when school is wrapping up for the semester. There is always something to do, so don’t be bored.

9. Mya Jackson May 1, 2020 at 6:12 pm #

Bordem. A feeling that everyone gets at one point or another when there is seemingy nothing interesting to do. I often hear people say that they are bored because there is “nothing to do”. In reality, there is always something to do even if that means going for a walk. We just have to be willing to get up and go find something to do. We may even have to create an activity. Kind of like how Seth said, if you are 14 years old or older and you ate “bored”, that is on you. Being creative and looking for challenges is what sparks new interests in my opinion. You might find something that you are good at or something that you can improve at. If Covid-19 has taught me anything is that just sitting around doing homework all day is extremely boring and unfulfilling. This is why I have begun to meditate more and continue to exercise to keep myself sane and in a good head space. The time we have spent in quarantine and isolation has not been easy on anyone that I have heard, seen, or know. However, finding interesting and productive ways to pass the time is the best solution. As an adult, I should not have to have someone tell me when to get up or what to do on a daily basis (now that I am home, my parents feel the need to boss me around haha), but instead it is my day and chance to make that day whatever I want it to be. Being home has had its ups and downs. I love it here with my family but I do miss school and my friends. I have made the most of my time here though, whether that is playing games with my family, spending time with my little brother, or just Facetimeing family members to stay in touch. I cannot personally say that I have done an interesting new activity other than meditation, so maybe I’ll try to learn a new language:)

10. Kevin Orcutt May 1, 2020 at 8:30 pm #

I have always been a fan of most of Seth’s blogs. He mostly talks unbiased yet opiniated at the same time, which is hard to do, so hats off to him. In this specific post he is talking about the subject of being bored in this pretty much global quarantine we are faced with today. In essence, what he is trying to say is that if you are under 14 you can be and not really do anything about it if you feel like. On the contrary, if you are over that age, it is unacceptable if you are not trying to do something to fill that boredom. This only gets worse the older you get if you are not doing anything about it. I completely agree with him on this one. With all this free time, if you are bored, you better be finding something to do. There is an endless number of things that you can do in the world just waiting to be conquered. A lot of these things should also give you the opportunity to grow as a person and be someone that you are proud to be instead of moping around the house doing nothing. I personally have been anything short of bored at home during this quarantine. My list on interest just never seems to end. First, I have been working out daily because I like to stay physically in shape and get muscularly bigger. Second, I have a huge passion for cars and working on them. Last year I bought a second vehicle with the sole purpose of learning how to do body work on the car, paint it, and do anything else I want to it. It is almost like an open canvass for me to learn skills that not many people know which will allow me to get better deals on cars in the future knowing how to work on them in their entirety. I also have my “fun car” that I do not touch as much and do less actual work too and more enjoyable work to. This includes putting in a stereo system that requires me to build two custom subwoofer boxes to fulfill the third thing that is not keeping me bored during quarantine which is woodwork. I have always wanted to learn from my dad how to properly build anything out of wood and I am finally getting to do that. The moral of the story is, take Seth’s advice and you will be nothing but happy in life.

11. Arthur Knowler May 1, 2020 at 8:46 pm #

I think that the issue of true boredom has not really been as noticeable as it has been in society as it does today with this pandemic going on. I believe that because as a culture we have grown so glued to our phones and laptops, being bored did not really happen. If you were bored, you could just go online and find something to keep you entertained. However, amidst a global pandemic, the only thing people really can do for a good amount of time is using the internet. Now, I think people are beginning to realize that without the entertainment of their phone, they do not really know anything of value that could perhaps benefit them, especially during the quarantine. I have read several articles and post encouraging people to find a way to better themselves during the quarantine. I think, for the most part, people who are productive and determined have not had a particularly hard time doing this, but what I have noticed is that technologically illiterate people are having an incredibly difficult time. People on the older side I think have a much more difficult time than those in their youth. I know a few people who just sit around and watch TV during quarantine, and then there are people who constantly go on runs or exercise in some way. I think that in times like this it is crucial to find a side hustle or some sort of activity to keep one from going insane. There are a number of hobbies that people can pick up during quarantine. If anything, people will come out quarantine with a better lifestyle or career path than before everything happened.

12. Marshall McGrath May 1, 2020 at 8:49 pm #

On the precipice of the coronavirus reaching the United States and showing its deadly powers, we were all told to stay home, only to leave our homes for an essential reason, in an attempt to help slow down the spread. With this being the case, the majority of people find them self’s having an abundance of free time at home as they aren’t out doing the usual things they might do. Thus, with no one completely used to spending all this time at home, we have all experienced the feeling of being bored, and dreaded feeling that way, as it makes us feel useless. That being said, however, a recent post on Seth’s Blog titled Thoughts on “I am Bored” the author presents a take on maybe how being board isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The author presents his interesting take by initially stating that if you’re under the age of 14 and are bored, then that is ok as “Bored is the thing that happens before you choose to entertain yourself”. Now, if you over the age of 14, then being bored is on you, but isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as the author says if one is bored, “its good because that means they are paying attention”. After all, to be bored, that means one as to be awake. Transitioning from this to say exactly why he finds that being board is so good, which is because it can be used as motivation “As soon as you’re tired of being bored at work, at home, on lockdown, wherever, you’ll go find a challenge… Being challenged at work is a privilege. It means that you have a chance, on someone else’s nickel, to grow. It means you can choose to matter”. This point at first may seem like an obscure one; however, the more it is reflected upon, the more sense it makes as when your bored, you need to find a way to make yourself unbored. Therefore, the need to make one’s self unbored can help provide motivation to finally go out and do that one project you may have been waiting to do or using that motivation to learn a new language or practice a new hobby. The fact that your bored at work could be even better as that means you already fished your work, as to why else would you be bored. Then with this free time at work, you can practically be paid to go out and try something new along the confines of what one can do at their job, showing how there is precisely no risk as your trying something new and getting paid for it. Substantiating, the authors claim that being bored is good is because then it leads to people going out and trying to do something new as they don’t want to be bored continually. The next time I am bored, I will remember this article and take its advice on the fact that me being bored is a privilege. Using that to help motivate me to go out and find something new to partake in, which can help expand my resources of what I already know.

13. Ndzalama May 1, 2020 at 9:14 pm #

This is extremely interesting because when you think about it, it is really easy for you to become bored especially now that we are all social-distancing and quarantining it is easy for one to be bored. That article talks about if you are under 14 then it is completely normal for you to be bored but in my opinion I think that at all ages it is normal for you to become bored whether that is of school, work or just an activity you have been doing once you have had enough and you begin to get bored than that is normal after that you have a couple of options available to you. First you can continue with what you are doing but find a way that you can challenge yourself while completing whatever it is that you are doing. I do not think that anyone gets bored once they are being challenged because it requires you to actual think and burn more energy than you usually do when completing a task. Another option is you can just give up which personally I do not think that is good advice because we are told to never give up no matter what it is that we are doing but if it were easy to never give up then everybody would be able to do it and we would be living in a different type of world maybe one that is brimming with success. Lastly, I think that the last option that you have is to just find something else to do which is by far the easiest option out of all of them. It is really easy to just find something else to do once you get bored for example if you get bored of reading you can watch some tv when that gets boring you can play some videogames if that gets boring then you can pick up a new hobby such ass cooking, writing or exercising. I think that it is much easier to get bored once you get older because when you are younger you can find entertainment from almost anything whether that is playing with sticks outside, playing with insects or playing with dirty. I know that these are some weird examples of forms of entertainment, but they are still ways you can entertain yourself. So, bottom line of what I am trying to say is that begin bored at any age is completely normal.

14. Maria Brock May 1, 2020 at 9:25 pm #

I think this article is a refreshing opinion, and something I needed to read during the pandemic. I positive I’m not the only one whole parents are constantly nagging them for “not doing enough”. As it is I’m on my laptop hours each day doing homework. Now, I should be cleaning the house, doing my laundry, applying for more scholarships, filling out financial forms, and the list goes on. I don’t have a problem facing my responsibilities as a 19-year-old college student. I find difficulty in the fact that I have to do things at someone else’s pace. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else, I sure hope it does.

I like that the author described bored as the period before action. Often times I’ll take a break from homework and feel guilty that I’m relaxing. Not all boredom is bad as long as it leads to something proactive. In the past, some of my most rewarding experiences have spawned from boredom. One day last year when I was bored I started looking into college programs for first-generation students and found that there was one at Seton Hall. That has lead me to be apart of an amazing group on campus.

After reading this article I looked up “what to do when I’m bored”. Immediately I got a thousand hits. Articles popping up from just about every source from every year. Whether it be a blog post or an academic article, what this told me is that I’m not the first person who has struggled with boredom. Maybe I can’t visit one of NJ’s top 10 fun things to do, but being stuck at home doesn’t limit my ability to find something to occupy my time.

When our brains aren’t stimulated enough we end up finding things to do to fix that. Wheater boredom comes in the form of a break from being overstimulated, or boredom sparks interest in new things, I now realize that being bored isn’t a bad thing.

15. Erin Shaklee May 1, 2020 at 9:41 pm #

This quarantine canes as a shock to almost everyone the first few days, and everything happened so suddenly. When school first became online, I didn’t worry about being bored because I figured I could just work more hours and workout, then within a matter of hours my job was shut down effectively immediately. Then quickly I realized that things were reaching a new level of catastrophe that our nation has never experienced. Because of this, everyone’s life is going to change regardless. While the virus was not an immediate threat to my family, it still put us in positions we were never prepared for. When I was younger,both of my parents worked full time and I am an only child. It was only when I started living on campus that I knew what it was like to be with people for the majority of the day. Because neither of my parents are essential workers, I find myself occupying my time with them. While these are extremely unfortunate circumstances, I am happy that “isolation” isn’t something that I have been having to handle alone. At times I find it hard to find a balance between being bored, and being productive. A lot of what I have seen on social media recently has revolved around self care; the idea that people should care for themselves physically and mentally during a time like this. While I wholeheartedly agree that people should prioritize this at certain times, it’s also important for people to understand that ultimately there are still things that need to be done. I know for me I go through phases of being productive; getting all my schoolwork done, keeping my room clean, working out. Then there are times where I only get out of bed to eat and shower. Personally, I know this is due to the fact that everything seems out of order for me. I am used to waking up, and physically going to work and class. It’s disorienting and demotivating when I have nowhere to be at any specific time. I tend to make myself feel guilty if I’m not as productive from one day to another, but I know that these are the circumstances everyone is under. It’s important for everyone to acknowledge that even doing something simply to challenge your boredom is a step in the right direction.

16. CJ Happ May 1, 2020 at 9:48 pm #

This article has taken a new viewpoint over the feeling of boredom. Instead of looking at it with a negative continuation, boredom is viewed as initiative to be creative or grow. Boredom is telling you something is not right, and it is usually correct. Stagnation directly correlates with boredom. Whether you be an employee or a student, you will become bored from time to time. But instead of flocking to social media or mindless hours of Netflix to fill the void you have found in your life, you should look outside to what you really desire and how you can really benefit the world and yourself from your passions. In the blog post that contains the start to the conversation on boredom, the author considers the fact that to be challenged at work is a privilege and it should be viewed with excitement and creativity. After all, if you are given the opportunity to face a challenge at work is almost always at the expense of someone else and you should use that opportunity to better yourself. In modern times, within the United States have access to almost unlimited amounts of information, you should never be bored. Being bored is the plight of mankind, it is anything but unique, we all have an obligation to fill that time with something meaningful instead of mundane.

17. John LaFrance May 1, 2020 at 9:59 pm #

As usual, Seth provides some great insights in this blog post. His first point about being bored is what can happen as a result of it. Boredom means we have to find some way to entertain ourselves. This, no doubt, promotes a lot of creativity. This first part really resonated with me as we have all had to become more creative to stay in touch with the people we love. My birthday was April 2nd and I was not able to get together with my family due to quarantine. My parents facetimed as many family and friends as they could to all wish me happy birthday. It was a creative solution that still allowed me to be with my family on that day. Boredom has also brought us closer together. Since we can’t see each other in person, my friends and I have been playing video games together or getting together on zoom calls. The need to conquer our boredom has actually led to us interacting even more.
    Seth’s second insight is about boredom for people past their teenage years should lead to taking on new challenges. Being challenged is great for growth and development, but I don’t think it necessarily only applies to those older than 14. Younger people can still find new challenges in their lives that motivate them to grow through boredom. They could practice sports, learn a new instrument, do some extra studying to raise their grade. We also talk a lot about being digitally literate. Learning coding skills or more about the digital world in general is a great challenge to take on. These challenges can lead to tremendous growth and are all more productive than sitting around on their phone or watching TV. One of the bright spots of the pandemic will definitely be the lasting innovation and creativity as people find ways to go on living their lives while being stuck at home. This will be a period of time we never forget, and let’s hope we never forget all of the amazing things we have done to rise above the boredom and challenges that came with the pandemic.

18. Christopher McGowan May 1, 2020 at 10:09 pm #

I always find Seth’s blogs posts to be very insightful, in this post Seth talks about boredom and how most kids and teens are being faced with it everyday in the midst of Covid-19, Seth starts off the post by say If your under 14 its a good thing to be bored as it prompts forward motion, as a kid being bored can suck but Seth believes you are actually doing something right if you are bored as a child, I wish I had someone like Seth telling me this when I was growing up because I was always remember being bored. Seth then goes on to say if you are over the age of 14, being bored is on you. Seth says once we are done being bored locked up in our houses we should go and find a challenge, it doesn’t have to be some kind of crazy change, but it should be some kind of leap that you wouldn’t usually make. I feel this could be some way to help my community or get involved with more programs at my school. Seth then makes a great point by saying “Being challenged at work is a privilege. It means that you have a chance, on someone else’s nickel, to grow. It means you can choose to matter.” I loved this as I think about this a lot when Im working at my job as I am given a great opportunity while representing the company, corporations put a lot of trust into its an employees to challenge themselves everyday. I feel a lot of the brightest minds from the past suffered from being bored but what you do with that boredom is what really matters, Seths blog posts always seem like there directed at me and my life so I feel this was almost a call to action for me to make that leap Seth talked about in his post.

19. Connor Strack May 1, 2020 at 10:16 pm #

Albert Camus once said that “The truth is that everyone is bored, and devotes himself to cultivating habits” which shows us that often time boredom has a way of positioning us on the right path in ways that we would have never considered if we had an occupied mind all the time. It is often not appreciated because it is associated with being lazy and unproductive instead of being in the interim period before you are launched in a certain direction. As the author states, “ored is what empty space feels like, and you can use that empty space to go do something important.” This is essential for people to understand because it lets them know that they have the power to create something from their own boredom and put an end to the feeling with no external pleasure. This is not to say that boredom can never be indicative of laziness, as there definitely is cases of people simply not doing the things that are truly innovative with their free time because they just do not feel like doing them. The most important thing for people who ignore the opportunities given to them through boredom is perspective. Once people can see the privilege that it is to be alone with your creative thoughts, we can see a lot of creative solutions come out of the woodwork that is unlike anything we have seen before. During a time where we are all stuck inside with nothing to do, it is critical for people to remember that boredom is a sign that there is an opportunity to learn something new or better yourself in some way. College students, in particular, should remember this message and use the quarantine as a chance to complete some extra work that will expand their horizons and increase their skill sets as they enter some of the most substantial changes in the economy since the industrial revolution. If I could give advice to any of my aspiring classmates, I would ask them to utilize this time as best they can (prioritizing their own mental health) to complete certificate programs online or take a master class to add more marketable skill that will help them adapt to the coming circumstances, not just beef up their resumes.

20. Justin Mathews May 1, 2020 at 11:23 pm #

This is interesting. Once again, Seth’s blog has resonated within me. “Bored” is such a… weird term for me. I can’t remember ever being bored, save for when maybe a teacher has poor delivery within a classroom. In my opinion, I just find it hard to be bored. Especially when it’s on my free time. I have plenty of friends who claim to be bored at any hour of the day, but those complaints only fall on deaf ears to me.

I think that at any point, there is always something you could be learning. Maybe I have some free time? Well, the internet is a thing; with a simple google search, I can look up almost anything, find someone else’s opinion on it, and so on. Maybe one day, I don’t have much to do. Whelp! I can go learn how to program in C++, via a guide on the internet. Maybe I’m feeling a bit artsy? Great! There are a million tutorials on Youtube about how to paint a portrait. Even if you’re not looking to learn a skill, there are so many websites and encyclopedias at my disposal. In an afternoon, I search for information about some random time period and come out knowledgeable about it.

What I’m saying, is, the internet is an infinite expanse. Therefore, I find it hard tough to be “bored” in this day and age. If anything, I feel like there are never enough hours in the day to do what I want to accomplish. But maybe that’s just me.

21. Shane Keledy May 20, 2020 at 11:45 am #

In this blog, Seth does a great job on pointing out the positive and negative aspects of being bored and what it could mean for our daily lives. Seth says, “If you’re under 14: ‘Good.’ It’s good that you’re feeling bored. Bored is an actual feeling. Bored can prompt forward motion” (Seth). I can connect with this in many ways and when I look back, being bored has prompted me to becoming who I am today. Of course when you are younger you are always wanting to do something, or be moving around to entertain yourself/ give you something to be challenged with. As I grew up, I found that playing sports kept my boredom at bay while giving me a challenge which gave me something to always look forward to. Being bored motivated me; if I was bored it would tell me that I was not doing enough to get better. Like Seth said, if you are young and bored, it is a good thing. When boredom hits, it pushes you to try new things, it motivates you to try things that you might have never done before. I believe boredom and new hobbies go hand in hand. Especially when you start getting older, those hobbies could turn into professions. Therefore, the things you pick up when you’re bored could turn you into who you are when you join the workforce and the things you do in day to day life.

Seth then goes on to say, If you are growing up “‘That’s on you.’ As soon as you’re tired of being bored at work, at home, on lockdown, wherever, you’ll go find a challenge.” It is all on you to find something that can keep your interest. Many times, when we work a 9-5, things start to drag out. We find ourselves doing the same thing day in and day out. It is our job to, every so often, get out of that loop. It is on us to get out there and uncover a new challenge that will peak our interest. We may lose our motivation during our day job and it is up to that individual to take a chance and find something new or take on a new responsibility. It is important for us to stay motivated and if we find ourselves bored, like Seth said, it is our job to discover a new way to get ourselves out of that.

22. Joshua Han May 20, 2020 at 4:56 pm #

To me, the most dangerous part of boredom is not the unproductiveness or anxiety it can cause by having a seemingly unlimited amount of choices and no direction to go in but the perpetual mindset it instills. This is something I believe Seth failed to properly mention. While I do agree with his general message about how people should relieve their own boredom instead of just saying that they’re bored and not doing anything about it, boredom is more of an unconscious expectation rather than a simple feeling. If someone is bored, then that attitude can easily shift into other areas such as finding new things boring if they do not provide immediate enjoyment. People need to understand that boredom is a mindset and look beyond that in order to relieve it. Overall however, I find Seth’s argument to be reasonable. A good way to relieve boredom is by experiencing new things and enjoying it along the way. The internet provides many different types of “challenges” for people to take on. Online lessons for learning different instruments, learning how to draw, or even furthering your career all exist and are readily available. Certifications that cover various topics such as Java or Tableau exist and are a great way to prove to employers that you understand those topics. Many cooking videos are on sites like YouTube to help keep meals healthy and affordable during lockdown. So it’s hard to say that there’s a good reason anyone should be bored.

23. Marc Consiglio May 22, 2020 at 4:54 pm #

During this quarantine we all have felt different emotions including happiness when you get to do something out of the ordinary, sadness when you realize summer 2020 could not happen, and bored when we feel like there is nothing to do. The feeling of being bored can push us out of our confer zone or make us crawl up and not want to do anything. The mindset you take this quarantine can make or break you when everything gets back to normal. For the kids under 14 Seth states that the feeling of boredness comes before you entertain yourself and do something. The kids/adults over 14 can learn from the kids and when you are feeling bored from work, cleaning, or chores find something to entertain yourself with so you can get into the right mindset to do your work the most efficient way. Seth says for the kids/adults over 14 find a challenge when bored, so finding something to entertain for a few minutes can help have a better mindset.

Being a swimmer, bored is something I am very used to… I stare at a black line for four hours a day. I have been in touch with all my swim friends and have been seeing how they have been. All of them say the same thing “Im so bored”. Now there is a point in sports where coaches and players will be able to tell who was training and who was not. Being bored can be a motivator to get better and work with what you have or it can be a negative where you can’t see others putting in work so you don’t. As a swimmer I see this quarantine as an opportunity to get better and make sure I can do everything in my power to make myself a better swimmer and better with time management.

24. James Brady May 29, 2020 at 9:23 pm #

Boredom is something that everyone is struggling with in this time of the Covid-19 pandemic. The article breaks it down into two age groups, 14 and below and above 14. For the age group of 14 and below there is such an opportunity to grow as a person, with having little to no responsibilities and a ton of free time. As a young child, your mind is full of ideas and is so creative so this time can be used to explore those wonders. Children now a days are so technology dependent that they have lost some of the creativeness so this is the perfect time for it to be reinvented. They can only play video games for so long before they look for new and more interesting things to do with their time. Thus bringing back an element of the mind that has been lost in the decade or so.

As for the age group above 14 there is no reason to be bored. This is where people start to grow into adults and need to find ways to challenge themselves. People tend to fall into patterns and do what makes them feel comfortable, but nobody has ever grown doing something they feel comfortable with. For example, when you lift you start off at a weight that feels good, but a month later you can’t lift that same weight and expect to get stronger or look different. Same goes for anything the more you push yourself the more you grow.

This pandemic, as bad and horrible as it is, maybe isn’t as that bad for society in terms of self growth. People now more than ever are taking time to exercise, learn new languages, and start new hobbies that they probably wouldn’t have if this whole stay at home order never happened. For me, this is the case 100% I have lost 32 lbs and started to learn Spanish with all the free time that I have. If I didn’t have all this free time these things might have happened, but not at such an accelerated rate that they are now. With everything in life you have to take the good with the bad and make the best of every situation.

25. S Warner May 31, 2020 at 7:08 pm #

I found this article to be very relatable as I have been in quarantine for a few months now and have had to find things to keep me from being bored. I like that Seth had mentioned “I’m bored” from two different views, one for those under 14 and one for those over 14. I think that it is a good thing as well for children to be bored and to take time to find things to entertain themselves. Boredom allows for hobbies and passions to grow within a small amount of time. This time can help children find new things that they may have never thought about trying. I also enjoyed that Seth mentioned “being challenged at work is a privilege” as I think the same way. I have worked a few different jobs and have only enjoyed the ones that were always fast paced with little to no time to relax. I personally do not like to be bored or to sit around while getting paid as I rather learn new things and be challenged. I think many people take this for granted and do not realize what they are getting out of it in the end. Quarantine has stopped me from working, but I have been able to find different ways to challenge myself and avoid being bored. I was able to take the time to pick up additional classes, start painting again and even taken care of my health by working out. I think that everyone needs to feel bored every once in a while, to understand how to make the most out of their time. Many people will complain about being bored instead of thinking of things that could be done during that free time. Who knows you could even find a talent and turn it into a side business.

26. E Farrell June 1, 2020 at 12:46 pm #

Throughout this time where we are going through a pandemic, I’m sure everyone can relate to feeling boredom. While I’ve been keeping myself busy with summer classes and work, there are still times in which I am bored. While we all find various things to do to keep us from being bored, after a period of time, we all get bored again and are back in the same spot we began in. Throughout reading Seth’s blog, I liked how he split the boredom into two separate categories, which involved people under 14 and people over 14. Being bored at age 14 and below, is overall a good thing as one learns and picks up new interests and hobbies that they can continue to do in the future. While being bored could cause one to feel defeated, it allows them to pick up new hobbies in which they enjoy and while continue to do even after the current pandemic that we are in. On the other hand, within Seth’s blog, he also talked about boredom in people over the age of 14. At the age of 14, I feel as if most people have found hobbies and interests in which they enjoy doing. Seth mentions within his blog how after all the boredom, how we have to go out and be challenged. This is something that I agree with, as we all need to go out and explore and learn new things that will challenge us and make us stronger and smarter. While we all experience boredom, we have to find ways to cope with it from picking up various hobbies, interests, and challenges.

During this pandemic, I have been keeping busy as I work multiple days a week, have been taking summer classes, and have been doing various activities such as playing sports with my family to taking online fitness classes. Going through a difficult time like now is allowing us to pick up new interests and activities that we never would have before. I have been able to keep myself busy with all these activities during this time, and while at various times I do feel bored, I try to challenge myself with new things that I would have never tried before. If I had more free time, I would probably pick up more hobbies and interests, such as learning Italian, maybe even something creative such as drawing or painting. Throughout this time, when we are experiencing boredom, it is a way to get out there and find various new interests and hobbies in which we will enjoy doing.

27. Alex Subryan June 5, 2020 at 6:35 am #

Seth wrote a blog based on Professor Shannon’s article “ thought on I’m bored ” written on 29 April 2020, categorizing the aspect of boredom into two levels: people under the age of 14 and those over 14 years of age. Shannon points out that for people under 14 years, it is good to feel bored; it is an actual feeling; it can prompt motion. Shannon defines boredom at this level as what happens before a person decides to entertain himself or herself. For home, boredom means a person is not attentive.

It addresses people above 14 years by giving them solutions to boredom generated from the workplace, home, and lockdown. He points out that people should find a challenge whenever they are bored; people should not take quite their job day to be challenged. I tend to agree with the point highlighted by Shannon that regardless of being challenges in any situation, it should be regarded as a privilege to grow. The article has inadequacies. Foremost, the writer does not give the general definition of boredom for the two categories of people; instead, he narrowly defies boredom for those below 14 years. Secondly, for those below 14 years, whenever a person is bored, I don’t think they can do something else but could opt to take some time and relax. Nevertheless, Shannon’s work still provides a basis for the research on the ongoing debate on boredom since it has highlighted some causes and remedies.

28. Matt G June 5, 2020 at 7:34 pm #

With everything that has gone on in the past few months, with many Americans losing their jobs and the whole world turning to staying indoors as a result of the coronavirus, one feeling that many have experience during this time is boredom. Boredom is something that we will all experience through our lifetimes but finding things to do while staying inside recently has added another dimension to finding ways to overcome your boredom. The options of going out in public to do things has been cut short and as a result, people have had to find other creative ways to keep themselves entertained. There are a lot of options to start off with such as watching TV, movies, or playing video games or board games, which was how my experience started off when the quarantine had started. It was easy to get into a cycle of doing things like playing games and watching shows all day, but eventually that became repetitive and not as satisfying and left me back to a feeling of boredom where I was only doing things to move time and distract that boredom. As a result, I realized that I was still bored with what I was doing for the most part but I was also losing motivation to do other things that I would have normally been doing before the virus outbreak. The article talks about two different age groups and how people under 14 it is good for them to be bored as it shows they are paying attention and can be used to prompt action to resolve the boredom. After though it talks about how if you’re over 14 you need to be the one to make the change and find a challenge, and I think that is advice that a lot of people can use during this time to help. Obviously the situation is not the best currently and there is a lot of uncertainty and worrying going around, but this is also a great opportunity to be able to grow and develop yourself with an abundance of time that hasn’t been there beforehand.

With the extra time that is available from the quarantine, instead of just being bored this Is a great opportunity to pick up something new or do something that you would not normally do. There is a lot of things that you can do from home that you would not even consider and will be helpful to help you from stopping the feeling of boredom. Exercising is a big one, and with a lot of the gyms closing finding a way to still stay physically active during this time is a great way to spend your time improve yourself. For me I was never too motivated to go to a gym but with the only opportunity now to be to workout at home I have started to get myself in a routine to try to stay in shape and keep myself active. Learning new skills is also something that can be done during this time, such as learning to cook new meals for yourself because of the lack of options of eating at restaurants now. There are a lot of different options to learn new things from researching online and a lot of ways to help yourself stop feeling bored during this time, it just requires the first step from someone to want to do these things instead of losing their motivation during this time. Overall, even though the situations that we are all in currently isn’t the most ideal, the steps that we take during this time to challenge and better ourselves are crucial to how we will return to our normal lives as things start to wind down.

29. Martina Attia June 11, 2020 at 3:03 pm #

Being bored is a common feeling that everyone feels during those quarantine days. A lot of people have felt bored more than usual. Since the Coronavirus has hit the entire world, a lot of people were laid off from their jobs, students had to study from home since all of their classes were switched to be online. The people who are used to be busy the whole day every day, are the ones who are bored the most. Boredom lead the individual to either be creative or to do something that is useless that would not be helpful for them. Being bored is a choice because an individual can choose whether they want to keep in their boredom, or they choose to come up with something to do. Fast Company defined boredom as “a general lack of interest, excitement, or motivation and experiencing one’s current situation as monotonous, tedious, or irrelevant.” If boredom wasn’t followed by a new skill, then it’s affecting the individual in a bad way.
    Sometimes being bored can lead to great things. Boredom might be beneficial for some people. Most people when they feel bored, they think about learning something new that can fill up their free time. Some people manage to use this time to come up with something creative. In the Fast Company article, Sontag says, “the life of the creative man is lead, directed and controlled by boredom.” Also, Premuzic says, “boredom will increase creativity and curiosity.” If there was a survey that was made for the people to tell what is one thing they did over the quarantine period, everyone will come up with something different. The quarantine has made everyone to think about something to do which they never thought about doing before the Coronavirus Pandemic and the quarantine. The boredom during the quarantine has unfortunately, been beneficial to most people who are now have new interests, hobbies, and new ways to entertain themselves.

30. Safiyya B June 12, 2020 at 1:54 am #

When I was younger and I would say “I’m bored” it would usually result in lectures and steered towards household chores. My parents would hate when I would say “I’m bored” and tell me to do something, make myself busy. Now that I have a grasp and perspective of a world I realize how right they were. When you find yourself bored, it’s important to challenge yourself. The more you face challenges and the will to overcome them, that’s when you start to show growth. I have also realized that it is a privilege to be “bored”. Our first world problems can include our power going out, or the internet not working. Especially during quarantine, we rely on the internet. Nevertheless, we have the privilege of free time, long breaks in our day. During this time we must continue to be productive and challenge ourselves to continue growing.
    We have the opportunity to fill out time with something meaningful and do something creative. However, we must choose our time wisely and avoid becoming complacent. While we all have our own choices and life and we can each individually choose how we spend our time, we must strive to challenge ourselves to grow and become a well-rounded person. There is so much to learn and it is important to educate ourselves to be aware of everything and avoid becoming complacent.