PSA: You Can Now Clear Your Facebook History, Disconnecting Apps And Websites

from Fast Times

After a delay caused by a court case last year, you’ll now be able to clear your Facebook history – or, more precisely, force Facebook to forget everything it knows about your off-Facebook activity thanks to connections with apps and websites…

Facebook first promised the feature back in 2018.

In a post on the platform today, Mark Zuckerberg noted:

He notes that this is similar to clearing your cookies, cache and history, meaning that clearing your Facebook history will also force the platform to re-learn everything about you and your preferences.

, ,

41 Responses to PSA: You Can Now Clear Your Facebook History, Disconnecting Apps And Websites

1. Tim Foo Siam January 31, 2020 at 1:40 pm #

I found this article to be interesting, considering the content of the lecture that we had on Wednesday. In the second half of class we discussed cyber security, and more specifically, why Professor Shannon keeps his presence on the internet so limited. Professor Shannon shared that his goal is to limit the amount of information that people can find about him on the internet. This minimizes the chance that his private information is shared with the wrong people or sold off on the internet. One thing that Professor Shannon emphasized, and that I found interesting was that he has his Facebook account “locked down”. This confused many of us in the class, but he decided to elaborate on it for us. He told us that he has more than a hundred follower requests, zero posts, and hardly has any of his information on there.
    After reading this article, it has further opened my eyes to what Professor Shannon is talking about. Facebook is capable of collecting so much information about us that we do not even know. This is information that we do not think other people would have about us, but Facebook managed to collect it. The ability to clear the history of the information that Facebook has on you is something that allows Facebook users to understand how much the internet knows about us.
    I believe that this new Facebook feature will not only help people limit their information that is held by Facebook, but also help people become more conscious of how much of their personal information is on the internet. It can be unnerving to know that the internet is capable of gathering that much information on us. This article, as well as the comments that were made by Professor Shannon in class have inspired me to keep track of my presence on the internet and to make my information harder to get. Professor Shannon proposed to us the concept of a password safe, which can help you formulate lengthy and strong passwords for the many different accounts that you may have. It keeps all of these passwords safe, with only access by a master password.
    I hope to think that we can all agree that we prefer to keep our information private, to only ourselves and the small handful of people that we trust, instead of in the wrong hands and being sold off for money. This new feature by Facebook will help us limit the amount of our information shared on the web and will make us a little more aware of the footprint that we have.

• Bonnie Zackson Koury February 17, 2020 at 2:54 am #

I find this article fascinating. I am extremely happy that you can finally clear activity interactions on Facebook. Let’s just hope it is not a fallacy. To be perfectly honest it is quite disturbing how little privacy we have today. There are so many pros and cons about the us of data mining. To be realistic we are getting a free social media network in exchange for mining the patterns of our usage. Which can be beneficial if used correctly. However, not everyone has good intentions. I do think Facebook as well as a few other companies have gone overboard with the information and how it is used. Depending on the data platform and the type of information that is being collected can be damaging to an individual’s reputation. The fact that you are being labeled by the activity on the social media platforms associate through Facebook is creepy. It is downright unethical. We as an individual of society should have much more control over the information. We should have the right to delete all data at any given time at free will. Not just on Facebook but with all social media platforms. Our information is private and in the wrong hands can be detrimental.

2. Cameron Nuessle January 31, 2020 at 5:27 pm #

As has been stated previous times in class, it has become increasingly concerning the ability Facebook has to get every piece of knowledge from you and how they can obtain your information through other apps as well. You may give them permission and you have no clue. Thanks to a delay caused by a court case last year, you are now able to clear your Facebook activity and you will now have the chance to force Facebook to forget all of your ‘off-Facebook’ activity. This gives people the ability to keep their information more private on and off the platform. During my social media experience, it has been brought to my attention that Facebook has tried to obtain my data by asking for permission while I am accessing other apps. This has forced me to decline permission but now due to the ability to clear this information, it will benefit my privacy a ton. This article interested me because recently cyber-security has been a topic of discussion in class and this has opened my eyes to the affect this has on your privacy. Professor Shannon has noted multiple times the importance of keeping all of your profiles private and being aware of the information you put on the internet because you do not know who will obtain it or what they will proceed to do with it. This has made me interested to research and be more conscious so that my internet actions don’t have a negative effect on my future. This new feature on Facebook gives people the ability to limit unauthorized activity on your profiles which will help you in many ways. The more information you provide the internet, the more prone you are to be subjected to things such as identity theft, giving people the chance to retrieve your login information for various websites or even commit cyber crimes such as tax fraud. According to a report, 16.7 million were victims of identity theft in 2017, and this number is likely to increase as the Internet becomes a bigger part of our lives every day. Social Media awareness should be emphasized more to the youth and this will protect their privacy for the better. Being aware on social media can be deal breaker for employability, maintaining your reputation, and protecting your freedom.

3. Matthew Pavlik January 31, 2020 at 6:33 pm #

I am really not surprised that it took so long for Facebook to let its users control what it knows about you, considering the billions of dollars it has made in the past off of selling information to other businesses. However, I do find it interesting that a judge, who is not affiliated with Facebook, delayed the launch of this feature in an attempt to help a defendant sue Facebook. Theoretically, the judge gave them over a year of extra time to profit off of more data than they even thought they would have access too, despite many people openly disparaging Facebook’s collection and selling of users’ data. Still, the case has been resolved and, for the time being, people can wipe their data from Facebook — at least, the data of other websites that Facebook can see. Termed as “Off-Facebook Activity”, users can erase all off-Facebook data that is connected to Facebook; in effect, Facebook is allowing its users to wipe all data that Facebook has on its users that was not taken from Facebook’s website itself.

For a quick laugh, I decided to see what information Facebook was giving and receiving about me, to and from outside sources. Many (14 sites) of the websites are those that I had logged onto recently via web browser, although no instance of Facebook had been open on the laptop which I used for it. Many (9 sites) were school related, because Seton Hall can not get enough of me and Cengage wants my money. Otherwise, I either gave direct permission to (40 sites) or had never heard of where my data was going (23 sites). Pessimism aside, I fully understand Facebook’s ruthless desire to make money and these companies’ desire to have my information so that they can sell me something. Still, it is really funny to me that a site that I barely use and only keep up with for family purposes is selling my data to hundreds of different companies. It feels like those fake “free inspection” people who walk up to your door, offer you a free evaluation of your property and, when you tell them to bug off, they start peeping in your front windows and around your fences to see if they can figure out things about you (they have x amount of cars so they probably have money, the cars have private school stickers, their living room is blocked off by a massive TV in the bay window, etc.). This digital stalking will never go away, but it feels good to be enabled to limit it as much as possible.

4. Kevin Orcutt January 31, 2020 at 7:14 pm #

This is a very interesting article to read in this day and age in a time where privacy only seemed to be continuously taken away. There is absolutely zero privacy in anything we do. This lack of privacy comes from anywhere in real life and over the internet. While trying to be private in day to day life may be easier than on the internet, both are still near impossible. Everything we search and do on the internet is data that is sold to companies for information on us. As outlined in the article, it then allows websites to target ads specially to us because of our search habits and things that we post about. When you are on your phone specifically, Facebook can see everything you do. If you have the Instagram app, which is owned by Facebook, running in the background while searching things on your phone, it can see what you are searching. Almost immediately, it will have ads relating to what you just searched on the app. I recently was looking at houses for sale on my phone one time for fun and not five minutes later when I checked Instagram, there were ads for real estate. This is a huge issue if you would like to keep what you are searching private. This new edition will allow that, even though it isn’t complete privacy. Every time you delete their previous knowledge of you, they are still able to re-learn everything almost instantly. This is through scanning preexisting posts on your page and also seeing things you follow or like all of the time. Just because you may be able to turn off if they can see what you are doing on the internet outside any Facebook owned websites, doesn’t mean that they still won’t have a semi accurate profile of who you are and all of your interests. I don’t want this post to sound negative about the new implementation because it is absolutely not. Anything that is a step in the direction of more privacy for the people is a step in the right direction. I just fear that this is only a way to please people without really doing anything at the same time in terms of hurting the way they still target ads towards users.

5. Tarun Yetrintala January 31, 2020 at 7:41 pm #

One day during class we were talking about the power the internet has to access your personal information. We talked about and compared different search engines that has better privacy setting towards your personal information than others. For example, DuckDuckGo is more secure with your information than Google chrome. Professor Shannon did state to always be careful to what you put on the internet and to have private profiles because the world has access to all your information, and you don’t know what the people out there can do with it. This is leading to things like identity theft which is a huge problem in the world. In 2018, new account fraud accounted for $3.4 billion in losses, up from $3 billion in 2017, according to Javelin Strategy. I was very interested reading this article, it gave me a wake-up call about how easy Facebook can collect all our information without letting you know. This article made me more careful about giving my personal information out on the internet because it can negatively affect my future. I feel that people all around the world should be notified on these kinds of things, which will protect lives and the people privacy. Cause of a court case last year, Facebook has made a new feature to have the ability clear your Facebook activity and have Facebook to forget everything it knows about your off-Facebook activity thanks to connections with apps and websites. After downloading new applications, Facebook usually asks me permission for your data which I usually don’t care about it, but this article changed my mindset towards my personal information. This new feature gives people the chance to keep their information more secure, be able to see information about the apps and websites you’ve interacted with and be able to clear this information from your account.

6. Paavo Riihijarvi January 31, 2020 at 8:04 pm #

After the lecture on Wednesday, this article is very interesting to me. Personally I have never thought about how much data Facebook and other apps gather from my activity. I am not the most careful with my internet use, but I don’t believe that I am in high risk of getting into large amount of trouble if/when I get hacked. Dr. Shannon asked a question “What is something that you wouldn’t want your Mother to know?” -I have nothing to hide from my mother, but I do understand that my credit card information, social security number etc. are in risk of getting hacked but so is everyone else’s. Dr. Shannon explained how he is using the Internet very carefully, and it makes perfect sense, but I couldn’t do that. I use Social media a lot and there is a lot of my information that is easily accessible. I understand it is a big risk to have such amount of my personal data available, but I’ve grown into the “social media generation” and a lot of my interaction is trough FaceBook, Instagram, Snapchat and WhatsApp. It is part of my everyday life and I wouldn’t want to give it up. I know it is ignorant and that it will someday get me in trouble, but I just have too much of my life connected to social media.

From this article, I doubt that Facebook is actually erasing your information and they would stop gathering data on you. It is such a huge business for them and there is too much money to lose if they do that. I think it is great that they are acknowledging that they shouldn’t gather so much information on their users, but I doubt that they will stop it. As I’ve said, there is millions and millions of dollars to be made with the amount of information Facebook gathers and sells forward.
    Last words on this subject. I purchased myself a mattress from MattressFirm earlier this semester and now all my social media ads are about Mattresses. I find a little humorous, as the ads think that I am interested to buy multiple mattresses in the span of few weeks.

7. Felipe Salas January 31, 2020 at 8:09 pm #

Cybersecurity is a topic that, in my opinion, is not of constant relevance to the average internet user. Many of us are unaware of the potential dangers that the internet implies as our personal information and activities may be exposed to other parties. It is interesting how this news hasn’t gained emphasis on any of the renowned media outlets of this nature. It seems as if Facebook doesn’t want its users to know about this. But even if this is true, I don’t see why. First of all, Facebook has already compromised the information of millions of users. This means that, despite the new features that seem to protect the information of the user, it is highly probable that, Facebook has already gotten ahold of your information even if you are not an active user. As discussed in class, Facebook, throughout all of its platforms, is able to track the general activity of internet users. The sole purpose of data collection is business, either for advertisements or for other matters, the information that Facebook has from us is valuable. However, we all have things to hide, and having personal data exposed makes the users vulnerable and gives Facebook the upper hand. New users are not safe either. We can all agree with the fact that, when it comes to the internet, we cannot trust anything. Erasing the record of our online activity will just achieve that, erasing the record. This doesn’t mean that you can erase the data that Facebook has collected. By recording our activity, Facebook can apply its AI and tracking tools in order to adjust the platform based on said activity. By erasing our activity records, we will only be able to reset the platform and the adjustments that had been made based on it, this doesn’t mean that our personal information is guaranteed to be safe. Overall, I believe that Facebook is becoming a little more reasonable regarding data collection from its users (although mostly because of legal disputes). I believe that what is left for us to do is to be more prudent with our activity online so that we don’t get ourselves exposed even further.

8. Austin Minogue January 31, 2020 at 8:43 pm #

Privacy is a concern of everyone in today’s society, but most people do not realize how much of their personal information is out there for companies and sometimes other people. Companies like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have more access to our information that we can perceive due to the user licensing agreement that most people do not ever take a look at. So, something like clearing your history on Facebook is a big step in the right direction of privacy. The ability to now do this disallows apps from receiving your information from Facebook. With them announcing “You’ll be able to see information about the apps and websites you’ve interacted with, and you’ll be able to clear this information from your account. You’ll even be able to turn off having this information stored with your account.” This ability will allow people to have the ability to see what apps have access to your information and what they are able to do with that info. You can then use this new feature to limit what they have the ability to do with your information. If you choose to do this you might start to see less ads that feature something that you may have just looked earlier in the day, because the company no longer knows as much that you do online. This is a great improvement in terms of internet privacy and will actually give you a choice of how much of your information is out there. Although this is now an option everyone still has the option to not use programs like Facebook and your information will not be out there at all. Even the search engine that you use such as google, there are many other options for search engines that are better for your privacy one such being DuckDuckGo. There are many options that better your internet privacy but are not known by the average consumer so they stick to the big companies like google, Facebook, and Instagram that keep your information and make a profit off of it.

9. Arita Gega January 31, 2020 at 8:50 pm #

I’m glad that Facebook has no choice in the matter of giving people their right to clear their Facebook history. Since the company had no problem collecting all the data, and adding newer terms and conditions to their policies and not giving users options to opt out of it other than not using the account. In my opinion it is very creepy how little to no privacy users online have with social media companies and any other online sites that can track a persons online browsing history. Down to every link you clicked. Although I will say that I’m not surprised, Facebook has only been online since 2004. I don’t think even they expected to get as popular as they did and once a company receives that much influence and power, they probably felt like everything they did would go unquestioned. Although as much as people like Facebook, they also like their privacy. It is creepy knowing that a company has access to everything you’ve done online. It gets even more unsettling when you cannot be sure that they won’t have a data breach. There is just too much that can go wrong. I’m glad that they have no choice in showing people their search history too. It will most likely limit their time on Facebook or just make them more aware of the fact that they have an online profile that companies like to target. I also think this will lead to more pro privacy court rulings hopefully and limit the normalization of collecting data on users. I hope this will lead to more interactive terms and conditions agreements. Not ones that are so long and boring that even if you do read through all the way you can not disagree with if you want to use the application. I hope this was a step in the right direction for privacy rights. I think we will go further with different cases in the future. Ones that will have options for users to agree and disagree with details of the user agreement. It may be a far fetched idea, but you never know it could happen with enough support.

10. Ryan Luckman January 31, 2020 at 8:51 pm #

As mentioned during class, the use of technology grows every day. As technology grows, the use of social media is bound to follow that. Facebook is one of the oldest forms of social media dating back to 2004. Facebooks allows users to make friends, view pictures and posts,chat, and play games with their friends. What is not mentioned is the privacy issues, as well as cybersecurity involving social media. Facebook is the prime example of how nothing on the internet is private. Many social media outlets inform their users that their content is private and safe on their site. However, this is not the case. Facebook has the ability to view anything and everything on one’s phone and or computer. Facebook uses cookies, which verifys the account. These cookies keep the user logged into their account the whole time. Facebook uses this to their advantage. Facebook can see previous search results, interests, hobbies, etc, and can turn them into ads. Facebook has leverage over the ad companies while doing this, since they can specify their target market. This was also seen in the 2016 election when Russian ads were placed all over in order to try to get Trump the upper hand. These should be enough examples to scare anyone and make them wary of their use of social media. The article did give some good tips on keeping privacy, but there is nothing private on the internet. Internet users must be very careful as to what they put on the internet because of the lack of privacy.

11. Robert Farawell January 31, 2020 at 8:57 pm #

Years ago, I created my very own Facebook account. I used it to chat with my friends and obtain my daily news. I remember one day while browsing the website think to myself that it was odd that so many of the media and products on my feed seemed to fit with my interests. It’s funny now to look back at those times and realize that every article I shared and every post I like was be tracked and recorded by the website, even worst that any websites I traveled to from Facebook was recorded. All the information I saw interested because Facebook new what I liked.

Since learning about Cambridge analytica I haven’t used my Facebook account. It seems bizarre that the didn’t release the “Off-Facebook Activity” then, but after reading that article about the law suit it makes sense that why the Texas judge would not allow Facebook to implement the feature. The main issue with this whole fiasco is that they could’ve just informed their users of what they were doing years ago. Yes, this would have turned off many users, such as myself from using the website, but telling from their still large userbase a lot of people would continued using the website. Facebook could have pushed it as a feature for their website, that users could inform companies if they would be interested in their products. This would have allowed users to take advantage of the feature to optimize their accounts to show only the information they would be will the most to have in the public sphere, instead Facebook decided to go down the path that will probably prove the most harmful to them in the long run.

It is disheartening that Facebook didn’t start out with the “Off-Facebook Activity” feature. If Facebook started out with “Off-Facebook Activity” as a feature they probably would have gained a lot of respect and trust from the general public. The fact that they didn’t is just a further sign that the social media industry has disrespected the privacy of their users for far too long. Facebook and other social media companies have shown themselves to be untrustworthy and in great need of government regulation. This is a problem that has be building up for years, and it can no longer wait to be addressed. The federal government must take actions to stop the deceitful conduct the industry has take against it’s users.

12. Vasudave Taneja January 31, 2020 at 8:58 pm #

Our lives have been opened and exposed, leaving us standing like a deer in the headlights of a Ford F150. In this case, that giant vehicle that is exploiting people and taking over all other vehicles is Facebook, one of the largest data-collecting businesses of all time. As we continue to move closer to a fully technology and cloud-based world, we accept the risk of having our internet activity monitored. What started off as algorithms that suggested you items based on your search patterns, has morphed into unique and complex monitoring which tracks how long we spend on sites, how often we search the same thing, what demographic our searches relate to the most, etc. This leads us to ask, how much of us do they already know, and how will this go on to affect us in the coming years?
    Facebook is notorious for being a massive data tracker and has recently been exposed, thus causing them to bring a new feature onto their site which allows the user to essentially ‘go offline’ and not be able to be monitored. This, in effect, lets people start their digital lives over and wipe out what these firms knew about them. A feature like this should have been available from the start and other big companies should take this practice and allow their users to decide what they want visible and what is private. The information of ours that is recorded is used to curate our internet preferences since it is sold to data-mining companies who analyze and show us what we want to see in a mysteriously accurate way.
    Being a part of what genuinely seems to be a New World Order, revolving around the extreme presence of social media, we must play our hand in being educated enough to safeguard ourselves against the distribution of our data. We cannot be entirely sure whether Facebook is genuine about completing what they claim so there is no room for complacency regarding this topic. I hope that this action bring good faith into other companies and convinces them to quit these practices before they get even worse and work against what technology is here to build.

13. John LaFrance January 31, 2020 at 8:59 pm #

We are all aware of the data privacy controversy with Facebook over the last few years. Mark Zuckerberg’s highly publicized testimony was a topic of debate for Americans. Ben Loveyjoy outlines an important update with Facebook’s privacy policy. Lovejoy writes that you are now able to clear your “Facebook history.” You can, “force Facebook to forget everything it knows about your off-Facebook activity thanks to connections with apps and websites” (Lovejoy). Many people are now much more aware about the activity of social media companies in regards to user data. This worldwide Facebook update will provide users with the opportunity to create a safer, more secure, Facebook account. I believe the issue of data privacy is not discussed enough. While more and more users are becoming aware of the dealings of these companies, a majority of people still have no idea what happens to their data once they log onto Facebook and use other apps or websites while logged on. Education on this subject is a must. I believe it is especially important to teach children about the consequences of linking your phone number or email to a social media account. Social media users are getting younger as kids start to receive phones at younger ages. If we begin teaching them about this now, in the future most people will be aware of the dangers of data privacy infringement. It is frightening how much these companies can find out about you just from the information that is linked to your account. I believe this update is a step forward for Facebook in terms of protecting user privacy. They still have a long way to go in many people’s book, but nonetheless, this is a good step in the right direction.

14. Alisha A February 2, 2020 at 4:42 pm #

The topic of Facebook and the data of its users have been a known topic for many years. A few years back the company was involved in a court case that charged the company with the misuse of user data. Facebook partially defended themselves by claiming that the misuse of data was not their crime but instead the crime of a third party user. During this misuse, Facebook continued to refer to the misuse as a possible occurrence when it was already happening. The whole Facebook ordeal does bring into the question of cybersecurity and what laws are put into place to protect the users of the internet. Because for a while Facebook has been breaking or skating around laws and not offering its users to keep some of their information completely private. When this issue came to light for the public it was now known that Facebook could access your personal information just from using their site. Then it was known that when you use your Facebook information to log into other sites that not only is your information being recorded but also the information of people who you are friends with on Facebook. It is like there is a continuous connection from other apps and websites that will always lead back to Facebook. However, it cant be extremely shocking that Facebook would now allow its users to delete their Facebook history and to make it possible that their off-Facebook activity is no longer visible to the company. I believe that this new tool that Facebook is offering is a way of trying to get its users to trust them more. After the Cambridge Analytica scandal, which was the third party user who misused user data, user trust in Facebook experienced a 66 percent decrease. With this new tool Facebook, I assume is trying to get user trust to increase. I personally don’t use Facebook often, in fact, I only made an account because I graduated from high school and was entering college. I do believe that this new option for users will benefit the company. Users will have more trust and they are now more aware of what could be happening with their data. Which means Facebook isn’t breaking the law anymore by informing its users. Meaning that hopefully in the future Facebook will continue to be open with its actions with the public and the law.

15. John McKenna February 6, 2020 at 1:28 pm #

This article comes to me as a surprise considering how Facebook has been tracking its users’ actions and siphoning their data since before people realized they should be aware of such things. Facebook has a history of listening to its users and using their information to influence the content their users see. There is also a history of distrust between Facebook and its users, and even with the US government, who has even rigorously questioned Mark Zuckerburg about many shady aspects of their business. Whether it comes to filtering certain ads, sharing information on its users to companies who can target advertise them, or even specifically choosing the types of adds its users see itself, Facebook is on the hook for many controversial projects and practices it has observed in the past few years.
    It makes sense, then, why they would come out with a feature that would allow its users to control their own information. Facebook is an app that partners with hundreds of other websites and apps, and chances are if you have tried to login to one of these apps or websites, it will ask you if you want to sign in with your Facebook account. Convenient, right? Well, this convenience is what allows Facebook to access and store the information in said app or website in i’s database, which allegedly stores all your past information on websites like these. While most people were woefully aware that their information wasn’t private, this is not only a wake-up call but a big step for security online. Now that users can limit the data they are sharing, it may make users more conscientious about how they use the internet. I am also interested what this move will do for other media platforms and such, since once people utilize this feature on Facebook, will there be a push for more platforms to allow their users to limit their flow of personal information?
    This of course is affecting a social media platform, but where does it leave other platforms that are accused of such practices? Google has an incognito mode on their browser but is only a surface level protection against websites that will save your information. Google’s incognito mode will prevent cookies from being stored in your browser, but little else. Many of the ways to protect yourself from losing your info are third party programs and methods, which begs the question if these platforms are really safe enough for our everyday use.

16. Morgan Mooney February 6, 2020 at 2:26 pm #

Reading this article was very interesting to me because I have heard many people complain recently that we are being recorded and tracked from social media apps that we use. These social media apps are thought to be selling the information that they record to other companies or governments. This is alarming because someone else can know everything that you do and all your preferences. This could be used in a good way because of the social media that you see is all built around topics that you like. “One way that data can be used is to help businesses find the right audience to show ads for things you might like – such as a deal on backpacks. These ads are what make most of the Internet available free of charge, including Facebook.” This is an example of how it could be used in a good way. It can be used in bad ways too however and can lead to leaked information and other pictures or videos that people would not like to have out in the public. Privacy is a big issue in our society today. Nothing is private anymore for anyone. Everything that we do on our phones whether it is at work or even in your own home, is being stored somewhere. This is what scares us the most. We do not know where it is being stored and who has access to it. We just do not know and we will probably never know
    Hearing that Facebook is letting us clear our history on the app does not surprise me. They have been collecting data on us for such a long time and Mark Zuckerberg has already made his millions for our data, that he does not need to deal with all the trouble and drama with the public over storing their preferences. Now he has given the public a way to feel more secure about themselves and feel safer. He put this to give those thinking about this a way to relax, but that does not mean that everyone is going to clear their history. Some maybe are complacent and like how their Facebook account is centered around them and do not feel like having to start all over again. All in all, I believe this is a good move for Facebook to make and I think it can bring a little more peace of mind to Facebook users worldwide.

17. joseph penagos February 7, 2020 at 2:32 pm #

After reading this article it is definitely a nice sort of relief knowing Facebook will no longer use my data. Its especially nice that I will no longer have to look at Nike adds while looking at my aunt post another family picture. The best part is that I now think people know some things that they haven’t before. As Austin Minogue says in the beginning of his comment “most people do not realize how much of their personal information is out there” (Austin Minogue) so they will put a lot out there for not just companies to take to make it easier for their adds but also for other individuals to take whatever information on you they want. The biggest problem on this is due to the rights that we wave, the user agreement. During class we did touch on this topic, the only way we can use let’s say an iPhone is if we accept the user agreement or else it becomes a useless piece of wires and glass. The same idea applies when it comes to using social media applications.
    In the article it also states how Facebook has had this information stored for some time. It also says that “View a summary of information that Facebook receives about your activity on other apps and websites” (Ben Lovejoy) which is very concerning knowing that Facebook can see what I do, view, or buy through apps like adidas, the app store, and other department store applications. I think this information needs to be made public to the masses because many of them are in the dark about these things. Sadly, since many elderlies are unaware when it comes to things like data mining, I feel they will be the target of such instances. I have and use Facebook, until reading this article I had no idea I was able to turn off the activity. Mark Zuckerberg should have come out to the masses to address this problem despite the backlash he would take, as well as other companies. Once politics catch up to these big internet problems then I think we will see substantial change for the people.

18. Roger McCurdy III February 7, 2020 at 4:49 pm #

Facebook has long been a controversial company on the public landscape. Their change to allow user to clear their off Facebook data from the site seems like a good idea, if it were honest. The main issue I have with it is the fact that the website will immediately attempt to relearn everything about you as soon as you clear the data. You cannot stop Facebook from intruding on your privacy, just make it reset what it knows. This isn’t a surprise coming from Mark Zuckerberg, but it is still an issue. I have a facebook account I rarely use, but there is no doubt that it is constantly collecting data about me from the websites I have connected to my Facebook. Privacy in the digital world is nearly non existent, however there are some necessary steps to take to protect yourself. I am beginning to take Professor Shannon’s advice to use VPNs and password safes. Despite this I have little doubts that nearly all of my personal information is for sale on the dark web or being sold to companies. As much as I would love to erase my digital footprint it is nearly impossible at this point. That is where this innovation helps, Facebook erasing your data is likely the first step in other websites offering the same. In the future we may be able to delete all of the saved data on us from major websites. The court backing up this decision is also an encouraging sign for the future of privacy. Another concern I have about the data delete feature is whether the data Facebook collects has already been sold to data collection agencies. Just because Facebook deletes its information on me does not mean that the data is gone. For now everything is okay as far as privacy, but the future is bleak. As I see it, if a major data collection agency suffers a major leak, no one is safe. Identity theft and other related crimes would be widespread and rampant. The fact is that it is likely to happen in the future, even if it is not in the next few years. I hope I am not here to see it.

19. Derek Diefenderfer February 7, 2020 at 4:59 pm #

After learning about the power Facebook has within the realm of user data, I feel that this new feature that Facebook and its CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, put into place on January 28th 2020 is a groundbreaking feature when it comes to users data safety. I found it very interesting that this feature was delayed in 2018 because of a court order which temporarily blocked Facebook’s Off-Facebook Activity feature in the United States. Facebook had been sued for negligence by a woman who alleged the company facilitated human trafficking because of the amount of freedom users had on the platform. The attorney of the woman needed Facebook to provide all information possible about the alleged trafficker, so the Texas District Court Judge Tanya Garrison, blocked the features rollout until 2020 when the case was solved. Rolling this feature back in the U.S. meant that users did not have the ability to control what data Facebook was able to use to their advantage for off-Facebook activity. To me, user data is one of the most important issues we, as a society, need to tackle in the near future. As technology advances, people can start gathering our personal data from what we look at online easier and more efficiently. I can see this when I online shop on my iPhone and on my computer when I go onto Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms, the advertisement for the products I have just been viewing are plastered all over the page. This confirms the suspicion that Facebook and other companies are gathering user’s data from other websites to make money from advertisements. With this feature now that Facebook offers through their site, users can feel safer with regards to their data. You can now see the information that apps and websites gather about you, along with this you can turn this feature off completely. This stops information from being stored and collected through your interactions. Overall, I feel that Facebook gathering data from your interactions on other websites is completely wrong. In my opinion its okay for Facebook to gather data from their users when on their website, but when Facebook gathers data from other sites and companies its very invasive. After reading about this topic I will definitely be turning this off and protecting myself from having my information breached.

20. Christopher McGowan February 7, 2020 at 5:06 pm #

Growing up in the age of social media, I always would hear “everything you put online is permanently there forever” I always would take this information with a grain of salt mainly cause I didn’t really post anything that went over the line, but I always did realize everything you put out on social media can be seen by anyone depending on your privacy settings and could possibly be saved. I have been using Facebook for over 10 years now and I have noticed Facebook has changed a lot in that time, it has gotten much “smarter” and much more Ad driven. Facebook now receives data on your history with apps and websites you have visited recently, Facebook uses this data to market adds based on what websites or apps you have been using. At first I didn’t realize how spot on the advertisements were that I was getting on my feed, but soon you realize the ads on your feed are exactly the items you may have been recently looking whether it be on amazon or another website. Another thing most average Facebook users don’t know is that when you sign in to a certain website or app through Facebook, Facebook can now take this information and use it to market advertisements with other companies. In the Article it talks about how you can stop this data collecting of your “Off Facebook activity” by clearing your Facebook history which forces Facebook to forget all information involving your “off Facebook activity”. At first this was a limited trail to only a few countries but now it is accessible to all Facebook users. This new service will allow you to see the information Facebook has and gives users the option to clear this data. Personally I’m glad there is a new option to stop Facebook from using your history from other apps and websites, I understand Facebook does this to make money and gain more users but it is a pretty sneaky way to do so.
    This new service is definitely a good look for Facebook mainly because over the last few years Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook have taken alot of heat and even legal actions have been taken over what information Facebook collects and what it does with that information, with that said this new service definitely advocates for users privacy. I realize being able to clear your “off Facebook activity” gives the user more control over what information Facebook gets, but I still feel Facebook has way to much access to are information and data involving other apps and websites we may use.

21. Trevor Olivas February 7, 2020 at 6:22 pm #

As most people know, a large amount of data that we generate on the internet is collected, shared, and even sold with other companies or websites. The obvious objective of these practices is the attempt to advertise their products to users in order to make a profit. However, they violate some of our basic rights of privacy as the personal and sensitive information that we post on the internet pertaining to content like a place of employment, location, and even who our family and friends are. The environment of the internet is already harsh and dangerous as we are susceptible to scams, phishing, and identity theft. Phishing is a term unknown to most people but is a very serious threat online. Phishing is a false attempt used by cybercriminals to acquire private information. Most internet domains that people sign up for have safeguards in the event of signs of threat or suspicious activity. However, the hardest problem with this issue is that there are limited counters to the impacts of breaches in privacy. This becomes increasingly difficult when, as daily internet users, we often are unaware of the issues presented. Internet website companies are often able to get away with this by embedding provisions that give them the ability to share such information. An example would be the user terms and conditions that need to be accepted before being able to access the features of the app. Most people don’t even know that they are actively signing away this right to begin with when they download the app or visit the website.
    So while Facebook is taking steps toward showing users the places where their information is being shared, I still think they are sharing and using our data in ways that affect our privacy. The implementation delay makes the program suspect that the product was missing components to begin with. Additionally, I also find it suspect that trial versions were not tested within the United States but instead in countries, such as Ireland, since they have previously had issues with user data sharing in the past and went to court in the U.S. Companies will always seek to make a profit more than put in the effort and money to ensure total and complete user privacy.

22. Cj Happ February 7, 2020 at 8:22 pm #

In a surprising turn of events, you are now able clear your Facebook history, which is like clearing your search history in your internet browser. Because of the utilization of personal information by the unregulated data industry in the United States, I am surprised Mark Zuckerberg has confirmed this to be a new part of Facebook. There is an immense about of money in selling your information to data companies and I do not believe this new feature of Facebook will diminish that at all. You might be able to see all the information Facebook has collected about you and make it relearn all that data, but I doubt it has completely vanished form the cache of data stored by Facebook. There is a setting on your iPhone to put your safari browsing to “private” mode and it does not collect your search history. At least it claims to not show you the search history that can bee seen if you were not using the private mode. Although, I believe my search history is still being collected even though I am on the private mode and I also could see Facebook doing the same exact thing with their implantation of “Off-Facebook Activity”. Data collection lets businesses online target you online with ads and this data is collected by Facebook and other social media platforms. Perhaps this new feature in Facebook will put an end to ad targeting for the most part, but there is no way that your personal data isn’t still being collected. This being the negative side I see, but it is positive that Facebook has created this feature and will be letting all users obtain. At least now you can what information Facebook is collecting on you and you can discontinue it on the surface at least. I believe this is the first step toward more privacy on social media and many other platforms will follow the footsteps of Facebook. Being able to let Facebook relearn everything about you is a great tool that will be used my many in the months to come. In the grand scheme of things, this a step forward for privacy in the digital age.

23. Connor Kupres February 7, 2020 at 8:47 pm #

Up until 2018 Facebook has been legally untouchable. They have been able to take the billions of users they have and collect data on everything you search on and off the app. Once this was revealed to the public a storm began to brew. Up until this point people have always been thinking about why randomly they will get an add for a toaster after looking certain things up on Facebook. “Much of what you do online generates data – such as when you’re searching for holiday destinations or buying a backpack. Occasionally, businesses share that data with Facebook” This sharing of data means that any business can find anything they want about you once they purchase it from the said data collectors. When Facebook is watching what we do it means in a sense we are doing there dirty work for them. Users own footprints are the marketing that these companies should be doing to make us want to purchase their product. Instead these companies are staring at data seeing what searches mean in correlation to the time in between the search and the purchase of there product. This code did not exist until Facebook brought upon the world their creation. The Market is now saturated with businesses that are trying to create a product that can be sold to customers in any mood at anytime and trying to find the ideal times to throw an ad at you while you are searching the internet. While there is only forward progress to make, I am weary that any companies can completely change there ways. This new change of search history clearing is a great first step to make. The court case wins will be the glue that hold the movement of internet privacy together. Letting companies constantly have tabs on everything we do can create the feel of an authoritarian government and as the constitution says we are a government by the people, of the people, for the people. This will make certain that everything fair for all and people feel safe searching for things on the internet. Companies out today are wolves searching for prey and the wild west seems to be slowly fading away.

24. Philip John Mabalatan February 8, 2020 at 1:05 am #

With Facebook being able to access valuable information about you, that can unsettle most people. The idea of a company having your interests and other activities in their control is very scary, unfortunately this is what many users unknowingly sign up for. At its core, this sets up a unnerving precedent. As technology and software advances, if policies aren’t set in place to limit what information companies can take from users, then it will breed a generation of people who are selling their persons over to the internet. Mark Zuckerberg has been under fire for this ability in the past, claiming that he was fully aware of taking users’ information, hopefully this form of cache clearing can be a work around this. Although it may not give privacy to personal information or connections, it does give some influence in the way of monitoring what Facebook knows about you. Depending on random searches or online avenues you take, the advertisements that are recommended to you can be skewed from what you’re interested in. This cache clearing process is valuable to refresh your interests and what Facebook recommends to you, thus creating a more accurate representation of you. Personally, I know that I have this problem with YouTube. I go down a rabbit hole of auto playing videos, and the next day my whole timeline is filled with recommendations on videos of which I only watched once. To have this option on various websites makes it a valuable tool. Inversely, this algorithm works very well. Many times, this program appeals to what you would like, working well for both the manufacturer and the consumer. But when these ads would appear, it’s hard to really believe that it’s the work of programming behind the scenes, a common person would believe that it’s purely coincidence. Which begs the question, what other resources or sites have this same power over us? In this advancing society, less of our privacy is purely within our control and this trend will continue to happen. The worst part of it is, it is likely happening to us and we aren’t knowledgeable of it.

25. Connor Strack February 10, 2020 at 1:32 am #

Reading this article left me both relieved and confused as to why a firm who has handsomely profited off the nonchalant collection and distribution of data would ever even remotely consider allowing users to increase privacy settings. The impact of having a truly comprehensive “clear history” button on facebook would be a critical step in the right direction towards online privacy and freedom. I am unsure as to why Facebook, with its less than perfect track record of paying attention to moral issues, made an apparently responsible decision to have this feature made available to it’s customers, but my hunch is that there are more malicious undertones that influenced Mark Zuckerberg and his team to think this would not hit their profit margins too much. Perhaps they believe that only a limited amount of their users will actually take advantage of the new feature, or they are trying to appear more innocent to the policy makers who have the power to obliterate their business models with intense regulations which are much needed, or perhaps they are not being fully truthful with what data is being stored in various means by there algorithms. No matter the reality, it is absolutely imperative that any users of this social media platform fully utilize this privacy setting to keep facebook from controlling what we see online.

As new technologies like “cookies”, “footprints”, and targeted ads become common place on businesses popping up across the internet, it is more than necessary for citizens to do their research on what the implications are for roaming around the internet and freely giving away personal information. The Information Age has driven people to a craze of data collection that threatens the individual freedom and privacy of nearly everyone online. Besides the near term issues that have presented themselves with behavior modification and targeting misinformation, the unseen long term effects may include things much more malicious in nature. We must see that the potential for collected data to be used against us in the worst ways possible is not outside the realm of possibilities when corporations run with the sole intent of turning profits.

In an increasingly interconnected society with the means of infringing on personal freedoms like we have never seen before, it may be necessary to amend some of our foundational legal principles and documents to reflect this new type of environment. The line between what is considered private and public information has become much thinner simply to do the means at which we can access sensitive information increasing exponentially. A reality where others can abuse information like your 24/7 gps location, media consumption, even your genetic information was obviously not taken into account when drafting things like our constitution. For this reason we have to take a responsibility to lay the groundwork for how these business can operate while reminding themselves that the freedom of the customers comes first. It will be interesting to see the developments of public policy as our government becomes more aware of the issues of the horrible misuse of data that goes under the nose of everyone except for some of the largest companies in the world.

26. Christopher Clark February 10, 2020 at 2:22 pm #

Christopher Clark
    Prof. Susan A. O’Sullivan-Gavin
    Blog Response 1

In today’s day in age, the advancements of technology have made privacy and increaslingly pressing matter. First of all, this partly due to the factor of the free will to subscribe to these online social services. Privacy policies are discussed in the terms and agreements of social media programs, but are more commonly overlooked. A lack of privacy presents a host of issues that can effortlessly jeopardize the security of one’s personal information. Facebook has recently announced that they are now making it possible to clear information regarding interactions on other apps or websites. It is also possible to disable the servers ability to execute the collection of this information.

Facebook utilizes the concept of control to promote their new feature. I find it extremely interesting that such a large corporation is partaking in such a significant policy. I also express my curiosity in the form of how this will affect facebook’s alternate platforms. From a business perspective, this could negatively impact many different organizations who utilize these platforms as data analysis tools. Over the last two decades consumer data analysis has switched over to a heavy online majority. I predict that facebooks has gone through with this policy in order to jeopardize competing business along with the goal of advertising their accommodations to gain subscriptions. The extremes presented in this situation have clear success or fail projection due to the unexpected circumstances of the policy revamp.

Effective advertising is accomplished through the sustained memory of the advertisement and the third party distribution of the advertisement. Facebook, while already having the advantage of being a leading social media site due to its subscription and interaction rates, has made the decision to elevate their upper hand with this policy revamp and with increased user accommodation. I am eager to see the differences this change makes regarding facebook’s own franchise and affected businesses.

27. Koji Sakulrat February 12, 2020 at 7:07 pm #

Blog Response I:

Many of the social media sites that people use today have come across the issue on privacy for all the users who sign up on the social media websites. When people put down their information when they are signing up on a site like Facebook, they often don’t realize the issue until later about companies learning everything about you for those long time users of social media. Since profile pages are made public for everyone to look at, there is very little amount of privacy that most might not feel very comfortable especially in society today where hackers can leak private information to everybody. When users interact online on a site such as Facebook, every action online won’t really go away.
    Having an option to clear the history and all the activities on Facebook can help Facebook regain a better reputation ever since the privacy issue has become a major topic of conversation on the internet. I think Facebook is taking a step in the right direction by giving the users a better sense of privacy since they won’t have to worry about their information on the site since they now have the ability to delete their history and online activity. Given that Facebook is a free sight to use, this can potentially start bringing back people back on this site and become as popular as it used to be years back. With Facebook introducing the idea to delete activity online, I wonder if other popular social media sites will join in on this action and make it become a common thing for all sites to do with deleting information. For businesses, they need information in order to target their audience for their products so I am curious how they will implement that since people now have the option to not share the information. Down the line, I am interested in the success of Facebook when more people realize about their new feature because almost everybody has privacy concerns on the internet and this can help shape the future of the internet with all the websites

28. Sabrina Wojcik February 12, 2020 at 9:03 pm #

Being a marketing major, I understand the benefits of a site using cooking to track users and better to advertise them. Being a consumer, I understand the invasion of privacy and the need to protect our information. From research I have done in past classes, I know that many social media sites put disclaimers in their user agreement that your information, once posted, will be public and can be used by or sold to outside parties. Being that nobody ever takes the time to read the fine print, these large corporations can get away with taking the information. It is scary that information that you intend to only be seen by your close friends and families can be accessed by so many, even when your account settings are private.
    I think it is great that Facebook is finally making it an option to clear your history, like you would with your internet browser. This can keep companies from tracking your internet usage and getting to know you as a consumer. Facebook has run into many privacy issues recently as people have become more and more aware of how they handle our data, so I think this is a good step in the right direction for them.
    Advertising is now significantly easier for companies now, as they have their target market flagged right in front of them. Now, with just a few clicks they can have their advertisements on potential customer’s screens. I think this can be beneficial for consumers too, because we are seeing less and less ads that do not pertain to us. I still do believe that we deserve privacy and should be able to go on social media and certain websites without having to worry about being tracked. Facebook is finally taking steps in the right direction to protect its users, and I think this will serve as a model for other large corporations to follow in the coming years.

29. Sarah E February 13, 2020 at 1:59 am #

Privacy concerns everyone, however, most people do not realize how much of their personal information is out. Facebook collects a lot of information about what websites you check. This way those websites could show their ads to the right audiences. Facebook helped now people to protect their privacy by letting them the advantage to clear their history. So now people will have the ability to disallow apps from receiving their information from their accounts. Also, people could use the new feature so they could limit what Facebook could do with there information. When people choose to do so they will realize that they see fewer ads because websites that they have been visiting have no longer information. This feature gives people who are concern about their privacy the choice of how much information about themselves they want to be out.

Facebook makes money from collecting data about people and getting ads from this website/company that the individuals are interested in. It is nice seeing Facebook removing people information and stop collecting data on people. However, people will still doubt that Facebook will stop collecting data because that is there business in the first place. The question is after Facebook will stop collecting data about people how they will continue making money? because they made millions of dollars just by the about of data they collect about people.

30. Kyle Spivak February 14, 2020 at 2:01 pm #

I remember one of the first things we had discussed in class this semester was how unknowingly, we all leave a very large digital footprint on the internet. In my opinion (as well many others) this all starts with facebook and instagram. As presented within this article and many other findings, facebook is not just a social media platform but is also a data collector and storage. This company, like many others builds profiles for all of us and sends us targeted ads and other forms of media based off of connected search history and the like. To be able to disable this, is a huge plus for the average citizen. Granted we have all consented to this data collection when we agreed to use facebook’s (or google’s) services, but we should also be protected in the sense that we should be able to opt out of the “collection pool” when we are no longer using the service. Not only this, but it is also damaging to our sense of security and privacy when we realize that our phones (or laptops, or tablets) are also part of the main components to this data collection – which, hopefully changes in the near future.

31. Robert Adelson February 14, 2020 at 5:32 pm #

This article is another example of the power of the internet and the ability that companies like Facebook have in regards to having our personal information. This “Off-Facebook Activity” feature was something that was long overdue, it has had its complications but better late than never. There are all types of information about ourselves, it could be personal information or even our activities on Facebook. Facebook has been able to keep this information, and the scary thing is that they could do whatever they want with it. They could sell our information to the highest bidder, or even store it somewhere and we would never even know. This new feature basically gives us users more control over account, which is justified because after all, we are the owners of the account. When creating an account, we believe that we are fully in control, but that is not really in control because these companies have more control through the internet than we realize. For example, I remember I was looking at jewelry on my phone, it was necklaces and rings that I may buy. Later on, I began seeing advertisements for jewelry on Facebook and even Instagram, which is owned by Facebook. It was shocking to me that something like this could occur. My activity was being monitored without me even knowing, it was like I was being followed. It opened my eyes to even more instances like this, I realized the sponsored advertisements I began seeing were not random at all. I was even more surprised at the complications Facebook faced when making this feature. They had to deal with a court case that argued “valuable evidence would be lost.” This is a silly take because the evidence does not belong to them. In order to have evidence you have to obtain it rightfully. This is private information about users that they really have no business obtaining. I believe more companies should follow Facebooks footsteps and give their users more control over their information. If “Off- Facebook Activity” succeeds, meaning the feedback for users is good, other social media corporations will face pressure to have their own version of this. In today’s world, it is very unlikely that a person is only on one social media platform. They will look at all their platforms and begin to question the companies and what they do with their personal and private information. They will receive backlash, and will be forced to create their own feature.

32. Lucas Waraksa February 14, 2020 at 8:15 pm #

There is something off putting about large companies spying on you and exploiting your personal search history. It was always a mystery to me how social media could be free. The reason industry giants, such as Facebook, are able to downloaded free of charge is because companies pay to advertise their products. To get the most out of their investment, these companies also share their consumer information to find their target group. With outside information about their users, Facebook can choose who sees what ads. Facebook has just recently allowed its users to disable their search history, in effect, preventing Facebook from receiving any outside information and forcing Facebook to “forget” any of their existing information.

This is major progress, but will hardly impact Facebook’s ability to form a profile on any of their users. Facebook will still have the ability to find a persons preferences. If this rule made that much of a difference, then Facebook wouldn’t be able to be free anymore. Ad companies would be up in arms about the effectiveness their advertisements that they pay Facebook a lot of money to showcase. The lack of financial support of the ad companies would force Facebook to start charging their members. This new rule just lets users feel like their privacy is being respected. A step in the right direction, but not the answer.

33. Alexander Silverstein February 14, 2020 at 8:19 pm #

This article is very interesting because Facebook is clearly lying. The article begins by stating, “After a delay caused by a court case last year, you’ll now be able to clear your Facebook history – or, more precisely, force Facebook to forget everything it knows about your off-Facebook activity thanks to connections with apps and websites”. I do not believe for one second that by clearing your Facebook history, Facebook will forget everything it knows about you. Most likely that information is stored in a data center, and will continue to be stored even if you clear your Facebook history. It is hard to believe that a company as big as Facebook is willing to not hold information of consumers, when every other tech company in America is doing it. In 2020, everyone’s “private” information is public. Facebook would not put itself in a situation where they are at a disadvantage. I do believe that the practice of learning information through connections with apps and websites is unethical because people’s privacy is being exploited. However, when a person purchases a smartphone, they’re automatically opening themself up to be tracked, and have their personal information taken to advertising companies.

In class, Professor Shannon has explained several times how companies like Facebook, google, Amazon are exploiting people’s information without their knowledge. If a person made a simple google search about buying a car, they’re likely to see an ad similar on their social media feed. The New York Times reported in 2018 “that Facebook had provided highly privileged access to the social network’s platform to more than 60 device makers to allow them to build their own “Facebook experiences” in the era prior to smartphone apps became popular and that this access continued at least in part through earlier this year”. Facebook has shown time and again that they could care less about the well-being of their consumers information and are willing to go above and beyond to make as much money as possible. To be fair, every company ever existed tries to make as much money as possible, but I do think it is unethical for a company as large as Facebook worth a hundred billion to be exploiting people’s information over a little extra money.

This article and Professor Shannon’s class has taught me to be more aware of what these companies are doing on a daily basis and to be more careful with my information. I recently purchased a VPN, which is something I wish I knew about years ago. As technology grows, companies and governments will continue to use the internet to manipulate our lives.

34. Vincent Vitacco February 14, 2020 at 10:14 pm #

This article is very interesting for many reasons. Facebook is now allowing you to clear your Facebook history which most people find pleasing. Facebooks CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that you will be able to see information from the apps that you interacted with, and you will be able to clear this information from your account. He also states that you will be able to turn this off full time and never have information stored into your account. This is essentially the same s clearing your cookies. Almost every website that you visit stores information about you without you even knowing. In my personal opinion I feel that this could be seen as a really smart move for Facebook and give people a good sense that their information is not being stores for many other reasons.
    Privacy concerns are really important to many people because they feel that it is there private information and it is. Social networks such as Facebook should not be able to collect peoples information likes this without the person knowing that it is happening. The new feature that allows them to “clear” all of the information is unique. I also feel that this will help Facebook continue to grow even bigger because this will help eliminate people that are turned off from people thinking that there not private. I do see other social networking platforms taking this route in order to make there users feel more safe and private while enjoying there favorite social medias.

35. Christopher Clark February 14, 2020 at 10:29 pm #

Christopher Clark
    Prof. O’Sullivan-Gavin
    Blog Response 2

Article title: We’re Banning Facial Recognition. We’re Missing the Point.

Technology is a rapidly paced industry and the controversies of its advancements are becoming increasingly apparent. Recognition, regardless of the form ?,of operation has become a prevalent part of our day to day interactions with technology, whether we know it or not. Recognition and surveillance can be executed in several different ways including, visual, auditorial, and laser based methods in order to track bodily functions such as heart rate. This information can be alarming to some users due to the fact that the majority of this information is collected without notification or consent. The more knowledge the public gains on this subject, the more resistant they are against its operations. In May of last year, the city of San Francisco began the ‘rebellion’ with their cities ban on facial recognition. This raised a great deal of controversy due to the fact that internet users were most likely unaware of the reasons why corporations utilize the surveillance tactics that they do.

The basis for operations of consumer surveillance include identification, correlation, and discrimination. Identification is the most simple as it is just a brief analysis of one’s personal information and electronic ‘identity’. Corporations market more broad advertisements based on these collections of data. Correlation is the process of gathering information from online interactions, such as online shopping, and marketing information or advertisements to a more specific demographic of users based on their interactions history. The concept of that action can be described as discrimination. In other words, the personalization of advertisements discriminates and separates information based upon its relevance to your identity and internet history. I do believe that there could be improvements on how these corporations educate their users and consumers in order to alleviate hysteria or fear of exaggerated levels of surveillance. That being said, I don’t necessarily agree that the conditions of surveillance that we are under is necessary, but it has proven to be effective in personalizing our internet experience. There is always room for improvement in these operations.

36. Lauren M February 14, 2020 at 10:57 pm #

The article discusses how a Facebook user can now see his or her information about the apps and websites that he or she has interacted with and will be able to clear this information from his or her account. The purpose of this is to help protect a users’ privacy and give him or her more control of his or her account.

I found this article to be very interesting because the article is telling its readers that you can now clear your Facebook history. Personally, I think that this is false information, because searches are never really cleared from history. Even if a person clears their search history, his or her history can always be found. Another issue about a Facebook user being able to clear his or her history is parental advisory issues. If a parent allows his or her child to use Facebook, the parent may want to see the what the child is doing on the account. If the child is deleting his or her history, the parent will not be able to see what the child is doing on the Facebook account.

Overall, I think that this article is false advertising, as it is still possible to find a Facebook user’s search history, even if he or she deletes it, as search history can always be rediscovered.

37. Omar Perez Hernandez February 17, 2020 at 5:46 pm #

Privacy is a concern for many when using accepts and most users agree to terms and conditions that we do not even read because we want to use the app immediately. Not every user is going to sit down and read through terms and conditions, we just immediately hit accept. Social media like Facebook and Instagram collect data for free and then sell it to third parties that flood are social media with ads. Its concerning that anything that is searched through our web browsers; finds a way in the form of an ad into our social media and apps. There is no sense of privacy with anything we search, there is essentially no privacy in anything we do with our computers and phones. Facebook taking the step to allow user to be able to eliminate their Facebook history is a great step for users to regain some of their privacy back. But regaining privacy is ironic because it should have never left the user in the first place. The concern that comes into question is if Facebook would erase the history of a user when they want; or would they just back that information into servers incase someone accidently erase their whole history. Facebook can collect so much information about us without us even knowing; even if there is not a lot of details on our Facebook page. Facebook also owns Instagram which ends up interacting with Facebook for example when I follow someone new on Instagram and if they have a Facebook, I would receive a notification from Facebook saying “people you may know” with the name of the person that I just follow.
    The New Facebook feature is a great step for users to regain the amount of information that is used and gathered by Facebook. It would also be great if other websites and social media allow users to limit the information that is gathered from them; which ultimately ends up being sold to third parties. Like Facebook, many phone products also gather information from us. They track locations of where you go, where you took photos, how long you spend time at a certain location, etc. Then they either sell this information or gather it into a data base to help improve their products and apps that work with their products. Phone companies tell us that we have the option to turn suck location features off, but they should be off by default. We as the users should have the power to turn in ON not to turn OFF. They also give an incentive to keep things off. A security feature like find my iPhone or any other app that allows us to track our phones or computers only works by GPS working in the background. The problem is not the GPS but the data that our phones gather while using location in the background. That information could be sold or it might be explained in the terms and conditions however many can agree that they do not read them. Many other apps also only “work better” if location features are on. We can all agree that we do not want our information that we find confidential to be gathered and sold for money. Our privacy should be important for us, we should keep track of how our information is used and have all the right to allow what information they can and cannot use.

38. Shivani Parekh February 20, 2020 at 10:13 am #

Technology has enhanced tremendously throughout the years. It has evolved into our lives and has become part of our daily routine. Without the internet, many businesses wouldn’t have the success they have. The internet gives businesses the ability to advertise their company and products worldwide. It gives a company access to recent search history and sees what’s the most popular search is. May websites have suggested ads that relate to the customer’s recent search history. This gives businesses the opportunity to keep customers interested in their products and buy them. Many websites have the ability to keep track of their customer’s searches in and display them on websites they look at.
    Facebook is a well-known social media platform that has access to an individual’s information that anyone is able to see. With Facebook being so public, many are worried about their privacy. In the article, Mark Zuckerberg states, the new accessible feature of being able to delete information from your account. It would also allow individuals to see their recent history and the websites they have visited, while also being able to turn this information off. This tool benefits many customers of the app and gives them the ability to control their data which can be gathered from cookies and other recent logins too websites. Being able to track the data, can help businesses understand the interest of their audience to show the appropriate ads. This activity helps companies keep track of their data and learn who their target market is. This information can help companies broaden their advertising market by promoting their company on social media sites where a ride range of customers can see them. This article showcases the importance of social media and privacy. For social media companies, it’s important that they focus on protecting their customers and their confidential information.

39. Ndzalama February 21, 2020 at 7:35 pm #

Hmm, Honestly, I don’t know how I feel about being able to delete my off- Facebook activity. It all comes down to a matter of whether you care or not, if you do care then this is a big win for you because now you can secure and protect yourself even more. But if you really just don’t care then this does not impact you at all. It explains how Facebook has been able to send you certain ads and everything just always seems perfect according to your preferences. What was interesting was the type of information that Facebook gets from you and how they do it. It has never occurred to be that Facebook can get information about you through apps that you use Facebook to sign in through, its just that most of the time it’s easier to just sign in with Facebook because most of the time you are already signed in so its just a quick click and continue and there you go you have an account through your Facebook. To certain extent it can be considered scary, just think about everything you are doing is being monitored, he article said that there are some business that share data that you generate online with Facebook and maybe it is not just Facebook but all businesses are sharing information. That means that everywhere you go they already have a ghost-profile of you before you even decide to create one. That would make a lot of sense because there are times when you click on a website and before you even create an account for that website all your information s already filled in. I am not talking about the auto-fill feature that Google has I mean the website or app that you are on already fills out your information for you. That’s extremely creepy it also makes you wonder what type of information or what information in general is out there of you. This is information based on data alone and now if we had to factor in social media then our whole personas are online and everything there is to know about us is known by the internet already.

40. Mike B March 6, 2020 at 10:00 pm #

Rather than disclose this after a preamble about this article’s information about Facebook allowing users to clear out their history, and to disconnect apps and websites that they either deliberately or tacitly connected to their accounts, I am just going to get right to it.
    I hate Facebook.
    At the risk of sounding an old, stodgy, elitist, I feel like Facebook began its fall the moment it went from its original form (only accessible with a working college (i.e. .edu) email), to accessible to everyone. I did not even join Facebook when I had a valid college email. In fact, I only joined Facebook years ago because my girlfriend (now wife) got me hooked on a game called Mafia Wars, wherein you received bonuses (and other mafioso “stuff” (i.e. guns, drugs, money, “favors”, etc.) from your other Facebook friends who were in on the game. I stuck with Facebook for a few years after that, as it was the only medium I used to communicate with some relatives and former classmates.
    I never liked the part where I would be browsing for something on Amazon, only to log in to Facebook and see a banner ad for the very thing I was just viewing on Amazon. I understood the reasoning behind it, and the economy of the websites integrating with one another to each’s mutual benefit.
    I also did not care for the quiet monitoring of my web activity, despite its highly benign nature. I accept that there are plenty of people out there who enjoy the convenience this kind of integration brings. I can appreciate the idea that people dislike commercials and advertisements, and that (if needed) they would prefer to see ads that are more closely aligned with their interests – even better if they have spent the last few weeks trying to find a new pair of boots, only to find the perfect ones in a banner ad.
    I never trusted this technology, and I have always been a proponent of the public being able to control who has access to their data. I understand the economy of selling information, and that it is not something that only came about as a result of the internet (as companies would sell phone numbers and addresses to other companies for things like catalog distribution, etc.).
    But Facebook seemed to do it on a more nefarious level, and I had an inherent distrust in every answer I ever saw given by Mark Zuckerberg on television.
    As time moved on, and Facebook got more political – well, rather, the users got more political – I started to distance myself from it. I found it upsetting to see family members posting memes and fake articles that were easily discredited by fact-checkers like Snopes and Politifact, or that were downright xenophobic or otherwise embarrassing to me.
    Then came the astoundingly interminable (22-month!) buildup to the 2016 election, and a cornucopia of rotten garbage was birthed on the social media giant. Whether it was misinformation, awful memes and posts, or the already unbearable amount of emphasis added to stories of ill-repute (and poor reporting), I found Facebook to be a completely unbearable website. I do not recall the exact date that I deleted my account completely, but I think it was around 2014-2015. In the two years preceding that, I had almost completely stopped logging in, but had maintained the account. Deleting completely was a liberating experience.
    In the subsequent years, we learned – partially via the Mueller Report (Volume I) – that Facebook’s algorithm to promoting stories, tolerance to all opinions and posts (save for the really threatening ones), and free-dealing in user information was capitalized upon by Russians, who used these things to aid in the election of Donald Trump to the American Presidency. Facebook denies culpability, but continued to do absolutely nothing (save for supply lip service to concerned Congressmen and women) about this.
    As recently as December, Facebook made statements that they would be cracking down on misinformation, bad-faith political posts, and fake/troll accounts that take advantage of the algorithms like the time leading up to the 2016 election. Mark Zuckerberg said that they would be attentive to inaccurate news reports, and troll/bot posts that spread damaging propaganda.
    As recently as last week, Donald Trump and his campaign had posted and/or reposted thousands of claims about the recent coronavirus pandemic that were riddled with errors and misinformation. This is a virus that has sickened thousands, killed hundreds, and is wreaking havoc on the world economy (Wall Street continues to tumble, in addition to airlines and service industry companies being forced to reduce labor, and a myriad of other industries being adversely affected). Yet, as this happens, and as this disinformation is posted and perpetuated, Facebook has said that they will not take down, delete, or otherwise address these posts.
    So, while I came to the conclusion years ago – even before the Mueller Report – that Facebook was a greedy, nefarious company with no ethical scruples to speak of, as long as the money kept rolling in, I find myself revisiting and reinforcing myself on this, and attempting to do so for those around me.
    Everyone should delete Facebook. It’s a ridiculous bone that they have thrown to the public to allow you to clear your history and disconnect apps.
    Delete Facebook. It needs to die.