Nothing Lasts Forever— Not Even On The Internet.

from NYTs

Social media is broken. It has poisoned the way we communicate with each other and undermined the democratic process. Many of us just want to get away from it, but we can’t imagine a world without it. Though we talk about reforming and regulating it, “fixing” it, those of us who grew up on the internet know there’s no such thing as a social network that lasts forever. Facebook and Twitter are slowly imploding. And before they’re finally dead, we need to think about what the future will be like after social media so we can prepare for what comes next.

I don’t mean brainstorming new apps that could replace outdated ones, the way Facebook did Myspace. I mean what will replace social media the way the internet replaced television, transforming our entire culture?

To find out what comes next, I went on a quest. I was looking for a deeper future than the latest gadget cycle, so I spoke to experts in media history, tech designers, science fiction writers and activists for social justice. I even talked to an entity that is not a person at all.

Collectively, they gave me a glimpse of a future where the greatest tragedy is not the loss of our privacy. It is the loss of an open public sphere. There are many paths beyond the social media hellscape, and all of them begin with reimagining what it means to build public spaces where people seek common ground.

, , , , ,

17 Responses to Nothing Lasts Forever— Not Even On The Internet.

1. Corinne Roonan December 3, 2019 at 3:27 pm #

The title of this really made me laugh, but the kind of laugh where you think “that is so preposterous… but wait.” The thought of the internet ending as a whole is almost insane to think about. It is probably just as insane as the thought of the internet existing was to those people who lived when the internet was introduced to society. While this focuses on the downfall of certain social media platforms and the difference of where social media is heading, the idea still stands.
    What will the next social media platform look like? Is it going to be a version of the same type of thing that we have now? It is hard to think of an entirely new social media platform, and that is the horrifying part about it. Anything new to exist on top of the social media platforms we have currently have the potential not only to continue to infringe upon personal rights to privacy, but on the rights of speech and the ability to have a difference of opinion.
    What happens when there is no room for a difference of opinion? That is an easy question to answer. All you have to do is look around at the current political climate we live in. There is no room for difference of opinion because everyone is so focused on “cancel-culture,” or the idea that it is okay to completely cut someone off if they do or say something that does not agree with your own opinion or set of beliefs. While that, in itself, is an incredibly outrageous idea to me, it is how people function in society now. So, it makes sense that any future social media platform is going to continue with that trend, only continuing to perpetuate that idea.
    That is what is really horrifying about the way the internet and social media is progressing. No longer is the internet a place where ideas and expression are possible, it is a place where ideas and expression are possible if your ideas fit the standard of ideas among the main population of online users.

2. Stephen Hoffman December 3, 2019 at 3:37 pm #

This article was a very interesting read, and one that led to a significant amount of reflection about what the landscape of social media looks like and the ways that it impacts our everyday life. We are truly more reliant on social media for contact than ever before. We now use social media more than any generation, and the ways that it is woven into our society is appalling to stop and consider. Companies have paid positions for individuals to manage their social media accounts, responsible for the marketing through Facebook or outreach on Twitter. More people get their news from Twitter than the newspaper, and use the site as a message board for all of their ideas (good and bad). Political speech has transformed itself into becoming available at the tips of our fingers, as American leaders use Twitter extensively to reach out to their constituents. The level to which we are reliant on social media is concerning, and American’s inabilities to perceive this as dangerous or a slippery slope only adds to the potential issues.

One portion that I disagree with the contentions made by Newitz is the idea of permanent replaceability, or that these social media platforms are destined to phase themselves out after their cycle of success in the markets. When we look purely off of history, solely viewing what has happened in the past, her hypothesis would predict this same outcome. Just as Myspace and Friendster were replaced by Facebook, which has since been replaced by Instagram and Twitter, one would think that the newest social media platforms would later be replaced by something new and different. However, I think it is important to consider the way that these specific platforms are interwoven into our society. We now have people paid to be on Instagram, with titles like “Instagram Influencer” or other variations. People can become Twitter famous with 140 characters, allowing them to have their 15 minutes of fame before a new viral tweet replaces theirs. These values are more than just platforms, they are a part of society that may be harder to replace than we think. Companies have tried introducing new platforms, but we continue to flock to the Instagrams and Twitters of the internet to fill this desire. While her points are logical and reasonable, Newitz seems to take on an almost doomsday perspective on the issues, which I tend to disagree with (besides those concerning political usage of Twitter and social media-these we have absolutely reached doomsday with).

3. Jackson Beltrandi December 3, 2019 at 11:17 pm #

Ah. The classing saying about the internet, is that it lasts forever. Wait, what? Ever since I was in middle school, I have been taught that the internet is dangerous an to be smart about what you put on there, because it is held onto forever. However, this author, Annalee Newitz, wants to focus on the inevitability of change in social media. I completely agree with her opening remarks. She says, “(social media) has poisoned the way we communicate with each other and undermined the democratic process. Many of us just want to get away from it, but we can’t imagine a world without it.” This statement resonates with me well because lately I have been tracking my time spent on social media, and trying to reduce it. I have been practicing this because I have noticed how poor my social skills are. The more comfortable we get saying lol, lmao, or hahaha over text the less and less we can interact in effective communication. If you look at my text messages, you will se correct grammar and punctuation. While it may be kind of weird to talk like that over a phone nowadays, I don’t want to lose sight of the important skills I was taught as a youngster. I have always cared about how many likes I’ve gotten on my posts, but recently I have just given up against it. Now, if I take a picture with my friends I’ll post it and if the people I truly care about react to the post, I’m happy. I think this is important when we talk about mental health as well. Many of those who suffer from depression get it from not feeling included due to things such as Snapchat stories of people hanging out. Although social media is a good tool to stay in touch with people we care about, it is something that doesn’t last forever and should not cause any loss of sleep.

4. Kevin Orcutt December 4, 2019 at 10:20 am #

I think this is a well written opinion piece with multiple sources supporting her claim of the matter of what is happening in our society today in regard to the ever expanding market of technology and social media. What she tries to shed light on is the dark side of social media which needed to be done and posted in a big paper like the New York Times. She tries to uncover what may be next in store for us past social media and the way we communicate today while exposing current social media platforms. One thing she touched upon to expose companies was the topic we have been talking about in class for a while. This is the fact that big companies like Facebook on social media are requiring personal data to use their websites that are not really needed. This data is then not heavily protected, and we are at the mercy of this when companies have data breaches and our information is leaked to the world. She also brings up the topic how she thinks social media is going to implode on itself soon. I completely agree with this for a couple of reasons. The first is that people are getting more conscious of the fact that these companies are not worried about our information getting leaked and less people want to be exposed to this. Another reason is that people are getting tired of social media. Social media has become a negative place where it is not just interacting with your friends when you aren’t physically with them anymore. It has become a place of random garbage that is posted all the time and filling our minds with useless things rather than filling it with knowledge. Social media has almost made this recent generation into zombies because they do not stop using their phones to check what is going on in all of their friends’ lives constantly, which genuinely has no use to their personally life. I personally have cut back hours a day of useless surfing through social media and is a start to mostly cutting it out. I think that more people have to get on this trend so that social media companies are more aware that they are not the ruling body and cannot control us. The people are the ruling body in this exchange, but we just give the social media companies all the power when we sign up and give multiple rights away. Her suggestion at the end of the essay is that she suggest a slow media and truly private media between groups of people that you choose. Currently there are billions of pieces of media uploaded a day and by reducing that, it reduced the negativity and an open, unsafe place. Also, having something truly private, with no monitoring, would allow people to feel safe with their friends and voicing opinions that are only shared between them because they think alike and not with the rest of the world.

5. Samantha Russo December 4, 2019 at 1:10 pm #

Social media impacts every aspect of our lives. It’s hard to imagine it ever going away. Just this past week alone according to my “Screen Time” on my iPhone, I used Twitter for a time of 9 hours and 36 minutes and all social media for 15 hours and 7 minutes. I’ve picked up my phone a total of 502 times in just three days. People can easily get news on social media, like Twitter or Facebook, without ever having to turn on the television or read a paper. Presidential campaigns are being fully run on social media and hire people to run their accounts. In my campaign management class last semester, my shared role was running the Twitter account for our fictional candidate. We barely touched screen time on the television, rather spending our “money” on all things social media. We have become a country who fully relies on social media and our apps to communicate and get our news.
    I agree with the author that social media is going to implode soon. People are becoming more self aware of what kind of information the sites are taking from us and how we have no protection when it comes to being online. While there are so many positive things to social media, like staying in contact with family and friends who have moved away and seeing the latest breaking political news, there are also so many downsides that are going to cause people to become possibly stop using data. Someone I know had to stop using Facebook because her mental health, which was already bad, became even worse when she saw what her family was leaving her out of. Another important thing is that our data isn’t protected and these big companies don’t care about the average user. It doesn’t make sense for people to continue using these sites when it can cause serious problems when it comes to mental health or just your privacy. I know it’ll take a while for people to cut down on social media use (as I type this, I have Twitter running on another tab) but I think it’s where this country will eventually begin to head. Like the title says, nothing lasts forever – not even on the internet, and eventually people will realize this and drop it for their own sake.

6. Samuel Kihuguru December 4, 2019 at 9:06 pm #

I was simply blown away by this article – an opinion by New York Times describing what the future of social media means for us decades into the future! Social media has become an increasingly imploding factor in the way we live our lives. I was born in the age of the internet, but I remember what it felt like to first start up my Facebook profile. At the time, my understanding of the giant social media platform was in its ability to create for me a digital presence. I was able to define who I was and create an identity supported by the people, hobbies and culture that I was attached to. But as this media outlet has developed over the years, we identify the risks that come with an unregulated pool of information, such as the rise of fake identities, abusive or toxic content and news-replaced conspiracy theories.

Mr. John Sclaz poses an interesting suggestion for what the future should hold for data regulation on these platforms – curation where your online profiles would begin with everything and everyone blocked by default. Not only would this shift the power of content privacy back into the hands of the user, who would only receive news and entertainment if they directly opted into them, but data-selling companies like Facebook and Google would be restricted from violating its consumers’ rights to privacy without consent. What I found most striking, however was Ms. Safiya Noble’s research on how media algorithms have been found guilty of amplifying human biases about everything from race to politics. In describing the concept of slow media and the possibility of curation by setting limits on how quickly content circulates, one can visualize the benefits that would come from quashing dangerous conspiracy theories before they lead to harassment or making sure that they have permission to post pictures of someone else (mitigation the hells of Instagram tagging!).

But I wonder who should be deemed curator…media content sieving comes at the preference of a certain group, often failing to reflect the interests of an entire consumer base. As the old saying goes, “What is one man’s meat is another man’s poison.” What should happen is not a full curation of content by human moderators who could find it different to deem what is unsuitable or not in an age where freedom of speech has become a hot contemporary moral issue. But instead a way to distinguish distribution platforms for accredited news stories from the common vlogger’s conspiracy tweet.

We are not denying the blogger from sharing a piece of his opinion on the free market media, but we must differentiate what our society, laws and institutions deem close to the truth versus the make-believes.

7. Victoria Balka December 5, 2019 at 12:47 pm #

Today, many people cannot imagine a world where they would not be able to use their favorite social media apps whenever they want to. This article was shocking to read because based off the way people are living today, it is hard to imagine a world where social media is not how we know it. Most people cannot go very long without posting or sharing something on social media and people are increasingly spending more time on it instead of doing other things. While it is not certain what will come to replace social media in the future, the idea of slow media was extremely interesting. I liked the idea of there being a period of time between you creating the post and it being posted. This feature will have many benefits because it will help users rethink what they are posting and be able to stop it from posting before people can see it. It will also be helpful because it would likely lead to people posting less since often people are posting what they are currently doing to show off. If there is a waiting period between posts showing up, it will also protect people’s safety in real life since people would not know everyone’s location as easily.
    While it seems like more people are aware of the dangers of social media and how it can impact them, I feel that some of the platforms will fall faster than others. I believe that the social media platforms that younger people are using will fall faster than the ones older people tend to use because younger people tend to be more educated on these dangers. Because of social media, people are interacting less in person and this can lead to other dangers since their posts can be read by strangers online but, in person you can choose and fully know who you are interacting and what you are sharing with that person. While it is hard to picture a world without social media as we know it today, it will eventually fall leading to the next big thing which would hopefully protect users private information more than today’s social media.

8. Alyssa Lackland December 6, 2019 at 11:37 am #

This article was terrifying but also super interesting. I understand Newitz is saying because millenials are definitely becoming pessimistic in their views on social media. As we have discussed endlessly in class, the internet and social media are an invasion of privacy, where all of the companies who reside online have access to our personal information in one way or another. Because people are becoming more aware of this every day, the pessimism is certainly increasing. Hence, I agree that the next generation of children who are born (who have parents that also grew up with full internet access and social media) will grow up with the mindset that social media is an invasion of privacy, and they shouldn’t trust just anybody on the internet. Mr. Scalzi’s idea to turn the whole system on its head with “an intense emphasis on the value of curation” then seems like a good idea. He says “your online profiles would begin with everything and everyone blocked by default” which fits the mindset that nobody can be trusted on the internet. While this idea may protect a lot of internet users privacy, it also poses the question of what online businesses would do. The world we are living in is in a transition phase– where every business seems to be implementing an online component. If businesses can no longer connect with consumers via online platforms, how will they conduct business? This question can also be applied to the part of the article where Newitz discusses eliminating social media all together in the near future. I personally don’t see this happening because social media is like a drug, and everybody who grew up using it is addicted to it; I’ll admit it, I’m definitely addicted to it. Social media provides instant gratification to everybody in one way or another, whether that be getting attention through posting a pretty picture or having fun “gaming” with your friends on Xbox live. So, while people are beginning to talk about social media with a negative connotation, they are still addicted to it. The real question is, what form will social media take on in the near future and how businesses will find a way to infiltrate it’s borders?

9. Daniel J Cambronero December 6, 2019 at 11:44 am #

All the commenters are right about one thing—social media is imploding. Many of the dire predictions about our future are predicated on this brief passing moment in internet history. And if we know anything, it’s that the internet changes all the time and so quickly we can barely keep track. Where did I leave my pager?

And I would suggest that whatever comes out of the disputes between countries (President Trump is currently threatening French wines with tariffs because their online regulation is biased against Google, Facebook, and so on) and within countries over the power of the internet (like the Russiagate probes) will be tailored to address some of this. Europe already makes demands on their internet servers we do not. In Congress they talk about that all the time.

Capitalism has given these entities unimaginable power, but the same was true of the railroads in the early 20th century. Now they’re a docile part of the economy. Things change. Sometimes for the better. Everything we point out about untrammeled fake news and misleading internet info helps people to learn how guarded they need to be about what they read on the web. People used to believe double exposures on a camera plate were pictures of ghosts.

10. Mia Ferrante December 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm #

Social Media has had a profound impact on many lives across the world. Our lives become increasingly more public, as we all share information on a variety of networks such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. This transition hit us like a truck, I remember when I was a kid there was no such thing as Facebook, and the internet was a place to find information. First, it was people spending time on Friendster, Myspace, and then eventually Facebook came along. Now, it’s rare to find a person who does not have a social media or networking profile. There are both pros and cons to social media. Some positive effects include becoming more informed about current events, research, interaction, and job search. Negative impacts of social media include cyberbullying, isolation, productivity levels, and privacy. Annalee Newitz poses a very good question in the article, “what will replace social media the way the internet replaced television, transforming our entire culture?” This got me thinking. Social media blew up within the last 10 years, so it is sure to change soon within our generation’s lifetime. I think the most important aspect of technology that will change is the user’s privacy. Today, more and more data about each of us is being generated faster and faster from more and more devices, and we can’t keep up. This is partially due to the amount of personal information those on social media give out, and partially due to hackers. The conventional wisdom is that the easiest way to stop social media companies like Facebook and Twitter from tracking and profiling you is simply by deleting your social media accounts. However, social media has had such an impact on the world today that it is hard to imagine a world without it. For this reason, I do not think social media is going anywhere. If anything, it will only evolve into something much greater which is scary to think about. Like Newitz, I am curious to see what the next big thing after the internet and social media is, and how it will continue to change each generation to come.

11. Ryan Geschickter December 6, 2019 at 6:35 pm #

After reading this article, one can totally make the assumption that social media plays a large role in our lives each and every day. Apps such as Instagram and Snapchat take a large chunk of our time away from our families and friends. There is some responsibility that comes with every post that we carry out in various sorts of social media. For a while everyone always said that we should always think before we texted or posted anything to make sure that we are being sincere due to the fact that jobs companies look at our social media profiles. These companies do this because they want to see what type of client they are getting and how they would be an asset to their company. It’s crazy that now we can put our name into the google search bar and get pictures of us or descriptions about us from different sources. While this is a terrific tool in the business standards one can feel that this method is a method of privacy invasion, very similar of what we did in our past TID assignments. But as time has gone on, these companies have in a way given up due to the immense amount of data that it receives consistently. In addition, we see that people are concerned with the constant surveillance by the internet and social media outlets. These social media platforms (i.e Facebook, Twitter) consistently monitor what we look at on other sites and advertise it through their individual site or app. To combat this constant surveillance, the only real solution is to just get rid of or delete their social media profile in general. Social media continues to be more ever growing and there doesn’t seem to be any signs of slowing down. Social media is both a blessing and also a hurtful tool, but we can always hope that it will be used for positive purposes only.

12. Alexander Nowik December 6, 2019 at 7:45 pm #

I found a lot of this article to be at the very least thought provoking. The part I found the most interesting however, was the idea of “slow media.” I think one of the biggest problems with social media is the idea that anything posted gets the user almost instant gratification. The idea that a website would take intentionally more time to review any information before it is spread sounds interesting. And I guess it comes down to whether or not companies like Facebook have the responsibility to control spread of (pardon the expression) fake news. If we are in a society in which people believe everything they read on an internet forum, then do the moderators of that forum have the responsibility to restrict that content, and how does free speech factor into that argument? A part that made me laugh in this was the AI spitting out – “You may not transmit a child virus, via Bluetooth, Group Connection Beans/Sweets, or bee Collision Marketing Eradia virus with your Student or Student Solutions Phone.” This part gave me just a glimmer of hope and lightness in the face of the dark future of AI and the internet.

13. Julia Garlock January 18, 2020 at 3:58 am #

This article caught my attention, growing up everyone is always told be careful what you say or post because once it’s on the internet it’s there forever. After reading the article, I realized that that’s not what it was about at all. The article was written to express the unknown. This was not about how things last forever on the internet, but rather how the internet won’t last forever and eventually something is going to replace it. The question is what will replace it? Eventually everything gets outdated, but change happens over a period of time and usually we don’t see it coming.
    We are never going to have a definite answer on how the internet will get outdated or replaced until it actually happens. We have all grown up with this lifestyle where we always have access to the internet, we are always updating our social media accounts, and we are always on our phones. It is brought to our attention all the time, like it is something bad about our generation. Is it really bad though? That times are changing the world is modernizing with technology, or the fact that technology has become apart of everyday life. Why is this always brought to our attention is the real question. We are constantly told that we don’t know how to socialize, our people skills our poor, and that our manners are dwindling. What not everyone can see is that social media is where some people feel most confident, where they feel like they can be heard, or voice their opinions. The sad part about all of this is that just as much judgement is received on social media as what is received everyday in life. Yet people are still too scared to voice their opinions and hide behind a screen. What happens when the internet is gone? How will some people continue voicing their opinions? With times advancing people will have to progress too, but that’s not always in our best interest because to face the facts not everything is improving.
    Internet was a period of globalization and advancement in technology. It has been made into a platform unique from any before with, different apps and pages that do many people have access to. Without it there is really no future look at what we will do, how things will change again or how people will have to change again. We don’t know what is going to happen, all we can do is hope things continue to improve. While at the same time people improve and better themselves at the same time.
    A final thought I had is why do people need to be protected from social media apps like facebook? From tenth grade on I can remember watching conspiracy theories on iphones listening through facebook, explaining the relevant ads to products spoken about with phones and computers present. With this advantage of information it seems to me that people would be much better of being careful about personal information and keeping it away from technology period including these social media apps. People only become victims of social media if they allow themselves to. In my opinion because the internet is the main way for all different types of people to communicate evolution away from it seems unlikely in the near future.

14. Steven Kang January 23, 2020 at 10:54 pm #

I knew after just looking at the title that I had to read this article. In nearly any technology course or any lesson on internet safety, the teacher will say something along the lines of, “be careful what you post on the internet because that will be on there forever.” Nonetheless, Newitz brings up many significant points about the role of social media in our lives. Her opening remark about how social media has, “poisoned the way we communicate with each other and undermined the democratic process. Many of us just want to get away from it, but we can’t imagine a world without it” (Newitz) is completely relevant in our society today. Giant social media sites like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter dominates many of our interactions today. It is completely expected when we live in the golden age of digital information.
    I honestly can’t imagine another platform or genre even coming close to the impact of social media, never mind replacing it, so I was interested in Newitz’s “quest”. The first thing that interested me was the idea of social media being more willing to “bow down” to the government authority. Newitz proposes, “Is it possible to create a form of digital communication that promotes consensus-building and civil debate, rather than divisiveness and conspiracy theories?” (Newitz). Social media is great in that we can interact with each other so easily, but what about the information we spread to each other. Social media can be seen as lost souls guiding lost souls, which describes its main flaw. Newitz even touches on this topic when she talks about the original intentions of Facebook and Twitter. Their original plan of a public square turns to, “1970s network television, where one person at a time addresses the masses” (Newitz).
    As person that does not use any public social media like twitter or Instagram, I know it leaves me in the dust. I have always believed that managing social media was too tedious, but it feels much more worse knowing that I need it for my future. After reading this article, I’m curious to see where social media takes us and its role in our society.

15. Trevor Olivas January 24, 2020 at 11:37 am #

Nothing truly lasts forever in the world. Technology and the internet have become a greater part of our life in recent years. It has become easier to communicate with people in our society through social media but simultaneously, companies also have the ability to communicate with us more. In our society, the question of what role the internet will play in future generations is a looming question. The biggest issue users face is the regulation of information shown to them and the management of private data. While big companies are currently being pressured by the public to stop the collection of private data for business purposes, the truth is that we won’t see any improvement. We can see potential improvements by using a method such as slow media and by developing a new digital communication platform that can act as a regulated and safe environment.
    Interestingly, I agree with most of what the article is proposing. An internet experience in which everything starts off blocked seems like an idea that should already exist. This would allow users to completely personalize their internet experience. People will then continue to think more about the information they are consuming and sharing. However, a potential con in this method is the limitations it may place upon people. I feel like this feature would only go to further produce a society of limited mindsets where they are only focused on what we want to see instead of other important areas such as the news and politics.
    Additionally, the rules of these 3-dimensional environments mentioned by Ms. Kendall seem to be quite unreasonable. These rules were put into place to combat fake people in order to make the chat room as secure as possible. Various issues arise by basing your online validity or credit on meeting face to face. First of all, it seems to make the use of reality like VR pointless as one would basically be required to spend my time offline to prove who I say I am. By then, it would seem as though spending time in the real world with someone you already know would be a way better idea. The concept of meeting up in the real world with an anonymous stranger is very dangerous. The company running the experience would have to either be informed of where they are going or have designated spots to meet in order for users to feel some sense of security. Overall, this requirement seems useless as some people simply want to enjoy the experience and talk instead of having to go through the process of meeting in person and additional other steps.

16. Tim Foo Siam January 24, 2020 at 12:50 pm #

After reading the title of the article, the content that followed was not what I expected. I inferred that the article would be about social media posts and something contradicting the fact that a post you make on the internet is never really gone. Instead I was led down the rabbit hole that is Newitz research on the future of society after social media.
    In my opinion, the results that Newitz received from asking the A.I. about the future seems silly. I don’t believe we will be using things like “detachable drones” and “Group Connection Beans”. Just saying those phrases out loud confuses me. However, we are making such large advancements in technology and research that it would not surprise me if something of the sorts were to occur. If we do approach this new era after social media where we are using beans to talk with our friends and other people around the world, it may mean that our society will no longer have our noses glued to our cellular devices.
    In my opinion, the fact that we are worrying about the world post-social media is scary. It shows that we are too attached to social media. Social media has such a large presence in our everyday lives that it is scary. App developers form their apps in a way that it appeals to the users because it reminds them of other social medias. An example being Venmo, an app that allows you to transfer money to friends. Venmo has incorporated a component to their app that allows you to attach a comment to a payment you make, and all of your contacts who use Venmo will be able to see what you say. Social media is even encroaching into things that are as simple as online payments, and I feel that it is unnecessary.
    People are too worried about how many likes or retweets that they get on social media. I think that it is crazy that people are able to make a living solely off of making posts on Instagram. I feel that if someone were to tell us ten years ago that making money off of sharing pictures of yourself with a caption to the internet could pay for your house, we would all laugh. But now it is reality.
    I am somewhat fearful for what will happen after social media, but I hope that it will be something that will help people be less glued to our phones. Our youth has become so addicted to staring at screens all day that it has become difficult to find someone who isn’t.
    I hope that the “real-life spaces” that Newitz discusses in the article can become a reality. It is something that has worked well in the past, but our current generation has never really experienced. Talking with another person face-to-face is becoming less common and it has taken a toll on our youth as well. It has handicapped our public speaking skills and prevented us from reaching our true potentials. We can only wait and see for where technology will take us.

17. Kyle Spivak January 24, 2020 at 2:11 pm #

The article itself is interesting, in the sense that (in my opinion) it is almost a contradiction. The writer states that nothing last can forever, however, we have been taught and told that everything that is posted and shared on the internet DOES in fact, last forever. We all have a digital footprint, one that which cannot be completely erased. Even if Facebook or Twitter disappear the data is still there. The data will forever be there; Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. all have keep servers with backlogs of our search histories, our posts – which again, establishes and creates our digital image/footprint. Wherein that Social Media itself does not last forever, I do agree with. The way the platform exists in its current state is toxic (as noted in the article). There are no concrete checks and balances for checking what is true and what is considered fake, clearly evident within the 2016 Election when Russian News Outlets posted and shared fake articles that were then shared by the masses.
    Social Media, and the way the internet works today is due for a change – and in that case, I guess it will not last forever. The way we as a society view the internet as a news source needs to change, and we need to adapt. Journalism itself as been infatuated with getting the “best scoop” in the fastest way possible, which helps the spread of misinformation. Not to mention, “influencers” on Social Media, more often than not, are not doing any influential work.