Why You Need a Password Manager. Yes, You.

from NYTs

You probably know that it’s not a good idea to use “password” as a password, or your pet’s name, or your birthday. But the worst thing you can do with your passwords — and something that more than 50 percent of people are doing, according to a recent Virginia Tech study — is to reuse the same ones across multiple sites. If even one of those accounts is compromised in a data breach, it doesn’t matter how strong your password is — hackers can easily use it to get into your other accounts.

But even though I should know better, up until a few months ago I was still reusing the same dozen or so passwords across all of my everything (though at least I had turned on two-factor authentication where I could). It’s just too difficult to come up with (and remember) unique, strong passwords for dozens of sites. That’s why, after much cajoling from co-workers, I started using a password manager — and it’s why you should be using one, too. Aside from using two-factor authentication and keeping your operating system and Web browser up-to-date, it’s the most important thing you can do to protect yourself online.

, , , ,

19 Responses to Why You Need a Password Manager. Yes, You.

1. Emily Rodger September 6, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

After all the years I have spent online, not once have I ever thought about using a password manager. After reading this article and coming across some of the good points it has made, I might have to look into start using one. I too am at fault for using the same or relatively the same password for many of my different accounts. I have always been aware that it is probably not a good idea to use the same password for everything, but in the end I still end up using what is easy for me to remember. Even if the only accounts I have are social media ones, I still do not wish to have my privacy accessed and accounts hacked. I have noticed that many apps make you have special requirements like having an uppercase letter, lowercase, and a special symbol in order for your password to be strong. In many cases, I have found it sort of a hassle to have different passwords for every new account simply because I end up not remembering and will have to eventually change it when I forget. Honestly, before reading this article I did not even know what a password manager was or that people really used them all that much. As said in the article, password managers seem to be very beneficial because it not only holds all of your passwords for every account, but it also makes up new strong passwords that hackers cannot get into. I find that this is actually a useful resource that I have never thought about using before. If I simply start using this resource, the only password I would ever have to remember is the one for the password manager meanwhile it remembers all the rest for me. Although I do not have that many important accounts that would matter if they ever got hacked, I should start becoming more aware for future cases when I do have important matters. Overall, a password manager is something everyone should think about looking into, and I know that I definitely will too.

2. Joe Antonucci September 7, 2019 at 11:27 am #

The thought of using a password manager, at face value, seems very logical. Obviously using the same password for everything is not a smart move, even if the password is tough to crack. If someone were to crack it, you’d potentially be in a lot of trouble and it would take a lot of time to compile all the websites and programs you’ve used that password for that now need to be changed. On the other hand, I see why a password manager may not be such a great idea. Having one password for your password manager presents a similar issue: once it’s found out, you’re in trouble. At the end of the day, it’s a third party you are trusting with your information, and that third party may have some kind of security loophole that could be exploited.

My view is that the only person you can undoubtedly trust is yourself, and so the only place you can store your passwords is one that only YOU have access to. For me, that would amount to a physical copy of your passwords, hidden in some obscure location that only you have access to. Writing them all down and keeping them stowed away is, in my view, the safest move. There are drawbacks, such as that your house could burn down or you could be away from home and forget a password that you do not know off the top of your head. These are realistic concerns and so a password manager may thus be the preferred option for some people.

All things considered, the password manager is probably secure and people probably won’t ever come to regret using it. But everyone should definitely weigh the options they have and make a judgement based on that, because everyone goes about things differently and a password manager could be a great help to some people while a physical copy of passwords could make more sense to others. As for me, I use the same password for everything and I tell myself I’ll stop soon but for now I’ll probably keep kicking the can down the road.

3. Ryan Geschickter September 9, 2019 at 11:46 am #

After seemingly being on the internet for a very long time, since I was a younger kid, there was never a time where I thought or even knew about a password manager. After looking into what a password manager is I can thoroughly say that I wish I had known what it was much sooner. Passwords have become one of the most important things in modern day society as they are the key to accessing a ton of important information such as bank accounts, college accounts, and various other accounts that are extremely useful. Sometimes people breach accounts and gain access which is dangerous, and potentially, devastating as they can act as you or spend your money and steal information. Having a password manager is a great thought and should be greatly considered for various reasons in today’s ever so growing technologically sound society and generation.

The main reason why someone should have a password manager is because people forget their passwords if they haven’t accessed an account in a significant time period. Some people write down their passwords but notes are often lost and thrown away as mistaken scarp paper. Having a password manager ensures that forgetting passwords will never happen again as one will usually use password manager everyday. Overall, password manager looks to be a secure way of preventing the hacking culture that one hears on the news ever so often.

4. Samantha Russo September 11, 2019 at 12:11 pm #

I probably shouldn’t be openly admitting to it but I’ve made a bad habit of continuously reusing old passwords across multiple sites. Sometimes, if I’m feeling super lazy, I will just use my name and my lucky number or the name of the site itself as a passcode. My accounts are definitely easily hackable. In my family, we have a small little notebook filled with all of our important family passwords to bank accounts, Netflix, and our phone company. The notebook is tiny and it’s so easy to lose but it hasn’t stopped my family from putting every single important password down in it. Even in the age of digital everything, we still insist on our notebook.
    As someone who uses her phone and laptop for nearly everything, I’ve never heard of a password manager before. I know on Apple products, it’ll tell you when you’re using the same exact password across multiple sites and I know that when you sign up for websites, it’ll tell you how weak or strong your passcode is but I did not know that it’ll generate strong new passwords for your accounts. My only, and main, problem with that is that I would never remember half of these passcodes it creates, especially when the computer gives you suggest passcodes with a bunch of letters and numbers. Depending on how secure on my account is when I decide if I want to save a password or not which wouldn’t help me with these random character created ones. I don’t know if I would be able to trust a third party to keep all my passwords secure when my little notebook, despite getting lost in my house often, still works just fine. I’m so used to my plain passwords and knowing that if I forget it, it’ll be in a notebook for me to find that I don’t see the benefit to spending money for someone to do what my family has been able to do for years.

5. Tyler Abline September 12, 2019 at 1:12 pm #

I’ve never used a password manager before and although some people might find it useful, I don’t really see a need to use it myself at least right now. I don’t see a need for myself to get one right now for free much less for a yearly subscription, and I also don’t have too many accounts that I desperately can’t afford to have hacked. I’m not great at computer programs anyway so it’s entirely possible that having a password manager is counterproductive for me because I bet that I would mess up due to using the program. I’m currently comfortable with the way I manage my passwords so if my method isn’t broken, I’m not going to fix it.
    I personally don’t see a need for this program at least for myself because I think it would be safer to have them all written down in a secure place rather than having them stored online in the management program. The article mentioned that a master password is required and in order to make it easy to remember I would probably just end up using a similar password to my other ones. If I do end up getting hacked, I’d prefer for only a few of my accounts be compromised rather than having all of them compromised due to now having a password that can unlock my other passwords.
    While I understand that there are pros of using a system like this, for me personally the inconvenience and potential for me to make my passwords even less secure make it not worth it to get a password manager. I don’t really see how keeping my passwords stored in a database online is safer than keeping them written down in a secure place, so as of right now I don’t intend on using a password manager. I might have use of one in the future, but as of right now I have no need for a password manager.

6. Jackson Beltrandi September 13, 2019 at 5:45 pm #

As a millennial and someone active in the digital age it is important to use different passwords, and be organized through a password manager such as the free one that Wirecutter suggests – LastPass Free. Although I’m not willing to pay $36 for the full version, I will certainly sign up for the free version. As someone who uses multiple emails, social media, streaming services, investing apps, and bank accounts, I could definitely look into a software which not only keeps record of my login information but offers suggestions for new passwords, and shows when I’m at risk.

Although this program may seem like an easy choice for anyone who uses an account online, there are some risks in the way I see it. This FREE program is collecting and accessing your data through its own database. This company uses your cookies and search history to serve you with extra advertisements, listed in their privacy policy. The company also has relaxed view on information sharing, which makes me feel uneasy. Said directly in their information sharing tab on their privacy statement, “We may share your personal information with (a) third party service providers; (b) business partners; (c) affiliated companies within our corporate structure and (d) as needed for legal purposes.” Although this type of information sharing is used in very rare and specific scenarios, it is frightening to think that a company or service you are unaware of has access to accounts such as your bank statements, or social media log-ins.

Personally, I would do more research to find a reliable password manager. I feel more safe writing down my different usernames and passwords onto paper, tucked away where no one can see them. Even though it is the digital age, there are many things that I would do to prevent my information from being shared or held by a third-party service online. Also, I like to memorize all of my log-in information so being reliant on a computer software to do that for me would be something I’m not interested in.

7. Juliet Akcay September 15, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Password managers are becoming more well known and popular as technology grows. After reading this blog, I realized why it is important to have different passwords and a password manager. The main reason to have a password manager is because people forget their passwords, like I do and will guess every password they have had until it locks you out. With the password manager, all of the passwords are there for your use. The first step is figuring out a password, which is something that shouldn’t be easily guessed. All a hacker would need is your username and they can hack your account on multiple sites. It is important to change up your password on sites and make it so it isn’t easy to guess. With a password manager, it will alert you if you’re using the same password or a weak password. It doesn’t mean that you can’t use that password, but it shows you should put more thought into it as it your personal information on that site. This blog also mentioned that the master password of all the passwords behind the password manager should be one that is easy for you to remember but hard to guess. This password should also not be used again for other sites.

After reading this article, I now realize how important it is to change up your passwords because, more recently, it has become easier to hack accounts and steal information. It is important to store your passwords on another device in case it gets deleted or lost. There should always be more than one way to access important documents in case it gets destroyed and to make sure it is stored safely. It should not be on paper for multiple reasons; it is very easy to lose and if found, words, letters, and numbers will be faded and hard to read. This article taught me the importance of a password manager as well as how to properly store information so that I have a decreased chance of becoming a victim of identity theft or other online crimes.

8. Nicole Shubaderov September 16, 2019 at 6:25 pm #

With the countless accounts that I have created to play games, shop and access school content, managing all my passwords is a hassle. I am guilty of reusing passwords, but after reading this article I never thought it was as dangerous as I thought it would be. I always had some knowledge that if a hacker accessed my password, he/she could probably use it to hack my other accounts. But what I never knew was possible was using a system such as a password manager. This system is secure, and it saves passwords, personal information, credit card information, etc. When it comes to using such information, the system would fill the information based on the saved content in the password manager which saves time and helps those who cannot remember their passwords and personal information. This may be one of the best inventions other than a pen and notebook, but how secure can this be?

Although the article stated that password managers are very secure, how can we entrust the system with our credit card information and passwords? Although we can lose the notebooks, why should we take the chance of risking our entire life into the hands of a computerized system? These systems get hacked all the time and if hackers are getting cleverer by the day, then wouldn’t the risk of getting hacked also increase?

Not surprisingly, bugs were found in password managers and that is just as risky as using the same password for countless accounts. These bugs make “secure” systems more susceptible to hackers and it brings concerns to my mind. Now that I know not to use the same password for different accounts, knowing that password managers could be hacked scares me even more. That is why I would prefer to use a notebook because I could always have it stored somewhere and not have it be susceptible to hackers. But, using a notebook is not a final decision because if anything does happen to the notebook, I would need my passwords somewhere else. Thus, I could use a password manager as a backup plan but only use my passwords and nothing else. Although I could save my credit cards onto this system, I do not think it would be that safe to keep it there. I am not fully against the use of password managers, but I am against the sole use of it as a primary way to save important information.

I find that before I use a digital system to save my passwords, I would need to do some more research into what different options I have, and which ones are the safest options. In this Digital Age, I do believe that we should be steering towards digital systems and remembrance programs. But what I am worried about is hackers since they have become more dangerous and I cannot risk my important information leaking into the hands of dangerous people. At this point in time, I will continue to use a notebook to save my passwords but until researchers can prove that password managers are super safe, I will continue with my own makeshift password manager.

9. Jess N September 17, 2019 at 10:30 am #

With the sheer amount of digital accounts that each suggest that you use a unique password for their site, its easy for the number of passwords you have to remember to become overwhelming and realistically unfeasible, and a password manager does help with this problem. Even for those who wouldn’t trust a digital site for this, finding a place and method to write them down could be helpful too (example: writing half the password for the site, enough to remember the rest, or providing a ‘clue’ as to what the password is for each login that would help you remember it). Especially considering the strict and often times absurd password rules that many sites enforce, a password manager is something that could be helpful to a lot of people. However, one has to also consider the question of whether digital password managers are truly secure. These days, people’s lives are tied to their online accounts, and any breach of security for one could ruin a person’s entire life for years. How can a person truly determine the reliability and safety of trusting one password manager for everything?
    Password managers could help solve a problem that many people run into with password creation requirements (must have one uppercase letter, one special character, one number…). While I agree that it’s super important to have a strong password, I think that modern password requirements are becoming counterproductive because they are so specific and have so many requirements. One issue that I’ve recently heard an older member of my family complain about is that one of the websites she was trying to sign up for had so many restrictions, the biggest one being that you could not use any word found in the dictionary. After adding up all the restrictions and requirements, most passwords become an incomprehensible string of random characters and number, a password most people cannot realistically remember. People in this situation are either left with this unmemorable password (that often gets forgotten and needs to be reset every time one logs into their site) or resort to a short and insecure password out of sheer frustration. In both situations, their accounts are left less secure than they could have been otherwise. While a password manager could help with this problem by giving them a place to put those passwords, it is not a thought that occurs to most people.

10. Sarah C September 26, 2019 at 8:07 pm #

I agree with the author of the article about how using the same password for many different accounts can be a poor decision on the user’s part. In my time on the internet, I have found that the criteria for creating passwords vary from each account that I have. I feel that if an account is important enough to me that I could remember to write down on paper what the password was, but I generally memorize all of the different passwords that I have. The author mentions Apple’s Keychain application and seems to suggest that its interface is not as strong as a “good password manager.” I agree with the author in that Keychain is not as secure as it could be. However, I believe that with a few improvements Apple could mold Keychain into a stronger password manager, and I also believe that it would be possible for it to increase in popularity because it is free to use.

While I see and understand the benefits of having a password manager, I am uninterested in using one because I would fear that having one master password to see all of my passwords for everything that I use is too risky. I also wouldn’t want to spend $36 per year to store my passwords while I could write them down on paper and offline for free. At the end of the article, I was surprised to read that the author advocated for writing down passwords on paper and storing them in a fireproof document safe. While this article provided reasonable support for password managers, I think I’ll continue to keep my information offline.

11. Noelle Arrighi September 27, 2019 at 5:53 pm #

A password manager is something that was extremely unfamiliar to me up until very recently, when getting your account hacked is more common than ever before. As technology advances for the better, unfortunately it is also advancing for the worst. As technology progresses it is easier to hack into accounts than ever, and not easier to protect your account. This becomes even more dangerous when people use the same password for multiple accounts. Once one person gets into one account it is too easy to find any other accounts with the same password or similar and get access to an unprecedented amount of information. The wrong information getting out can be detrimental to one’s life, specifically financially. Nearly every day large corporations get hacked and they have the means to protect themselves, which makes it even easier to get hacked as any individual, with little means to protect themselves. I currently do not have one but according to this article it is the best thing I can do in order to protect myself online. I am rather notorious for using the same password or different variations of it across all of my accounts. Personally, I always thought this would be beneficial because it would make the passwords easier to remember and then I would get locked out of my accounts less, something I tend to frequently deal with. I am very convinced about getting one because not only would I be to enhance my security online but as long as I do not forget one password I will never forget any of them. Although I understand the necessity for this new technology, it does make me wonder about the digital age and how with changing times comes changing technology. However, in this case it somewhat implies that technologies are changing in a way that is making the world less safe, because one of the main purposes of the password manager is to prevent hacking and feel less secure, but this was not always a problem.

12. Hannah F October 3, 2019 at 1:35 pm #

This article is very unique because I think many of us use the same passwords for almost all websites and accounts. I agree with the author that coming up with different passwords for all different accounts that are not easy to guess is very difficult. Aside from creating unique passwords, people almost always forget their passwords, especially if they have many different passwords. I have never given it much thought to have a password manager, but this is something I would definitely consider using. Having all my passwords stored in one place and all important information in one place, I think is very useful.
    I also think this could be an issue too because if someone were to hack into this system, they would then have all your information. The idea of the app or software coming up with passwords that are not easy for hackers to get is very unique. I am always having to reset my passwords because I forget them often, but with a password manager I will no longer have this issue!

13. Britania B October 3, 2019 at 6:54 pm #

In reading the first paragraph I know I am doing something wrong. I realize I am one of those 50 percent of people who are reusing their same password across multiple sites. The reason being that it is easier to remember one password than multiples. I do agree with the author when he said that it is too difficult to come up with and remember unique, strong passwords. Just recently I had made a new Gmail and I had to deal with the password requirements. The requirement for a password was that it needed a special character, a number, a capitalized letter, and more than eight words. How should I personally remember not just that password but many others that they have created that was a strong password. Writing a password down does not help because a person could lose it. Typing a password in a phone does not help either because the phone could be stolen, or a hacker could hack the phone. I do understand the risk involving has the same passwords, but it was not a big deal when I was a little child making a password for myself. Now as an adult I see that it is highly important that I change my password. In the future, I do want my name out there, but I do not want to be at a high risk of getting hacked.
    The password manager is not a bad idea at all, but they are still risk in it. How will a person know that it is 100% secure? My dad always said never put your personal information on the internet because there is always a way for people to find out about it. Even though the password manager could be helpful to many people, I still would not use it. I am not all for everything to be protected with a single strong master password. To me, it is the same as creating your password with the requirement that is needed. For a full-featured password manager, you must pay roughly about $36 which in comparison to a paper and pen, it is a lot more expensive. I will gladly stick to the way how I remember my passwords, but the only thing I will do differently is changing all my password to not have the same across multiple sites.

14. Zachary Crockett October 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm #

As someone who pertains to the recent Virginia Tech study of more than 50 percent of people reusing a password across multiple sites, it is alarming to know that these data breaches are more accessible than that of a person who uses different passwords for each account made. And so, in the article, Andrew Cunningham, a lead editor at Wirecutter, the product recommendation site owned by The New York Times Company, exclaims the necessity for a password manager, and to a certain degree, I agree. Having a password manager essentially allows one to protect themselves online more efficiently. They generate strong new passwords when creating accounts and do much more in alerts and keeping tabs that passwords are not being reused and exposed by hackers. And so, having password managers seems to be a beneficial component with databases for the company’s wanting to protect their information. If the operators of these password managers are not promoting any activity that uses their clients’ data for anything. This idea could be a very interesting and controversial event in history, based on the growth of technology and have protecting personal data seems to be neglected in society in current times.

15. Alexander Nowik October 4, 2019 at 2:56 pm #

Recently I had multiple accounts hacked due to them all having the same password, so I can strongly relate with this article. While I agree with the articles main points about basic security, I don’t think necessarily an online password manager is important. There are ways of creating passwords that follow a pattern in your own though process without making an easy pattern for a would be hacker to discover. 2 factor identification is definitely a good idea whenever possible as having a OTP (One time password) sent to your phone, makes it very hard for someone to get into your account. A lot of this seems a little self explanatory to me, but clearly even I need to be more careful with my online habits.

16. Mikaela Battaglia October 4, 2019 at 4:33 pm #

Reading this article put a lot of things into perspective. I am embarrassed to admit that a lot of my accounts that I have, whether it be email, for work, or social media, have the same, or similar variation of, my password. And while I had heard from other people that it was not a good idea and that I should change some, I sort of laughed it off and never got around to doing it. However, now that I know how easy it really is for hackers to gain access to ALL of my accounts, I am definitely going to be changing some.
    I think that this password manager is a very good and smart idea to invest in and download. With the price tag being $36 per year, I could see a lot of college and high school students not utilizing it because of the fee, but more so adults who have important bank account information and that sort of stuff to worry about. I think that being able to put all of your passwords in one spot, and even getting better recommendations for a good password is a great idea, because it helps out users who are forgetful or, like me, use the same password for a lot of things.
    Not only is this good for that, but also protecting your things against any intruders or malware. Aside from individual people getting their accounts “hacked”, the other well known instances of hacking we see are when celebrities are hacked and their information is threatened. The hackers threaten them to expose images and private information to the whole world, which is incredibly disturbing. I am sure that many of these celebrities also do not have password managers, considering they were able to be hacked.
    The transparency of these websites and how exactly they protect you and they tell you what happens if their servers ever get hacked, is incredibly helpful. Because many people do not know technical talk, they put it in laments terms so anyone can understand how they work and in the end, they protect your information. However, the concept of “master password” brings me some concerns. Although the author of the article strongly suggests you write down your master password and keep it on a piece of paper, I think that is also tricky. The user may lose the paper of forget the password, and then they are screwed because all of their passwords will be locked and they are all so difficult that the user would not be able to remember them. However, keeping it on a piece of paper (as long as it is kept safe), is indeed the most secure way of keeping a password. Because although hackers want your data, I do not think they would go to the lengths of intruding your home to try and get your password from a sheet of paper.

17. Javier Tovar October 18, 2019 at 6:50 pm #

After reading about password managers I can see clearly why many people around the world can find them useful. With the help from a password manager, many people can store all their differing passwords for all their accounts and information in one place; protecting all their information including credit card numbers, addresses, bank accounts, and other information with a single master password. Password managers also generate strong new passwords when a user creates a new account or changes a password. So instead of having to think of a new password, I can simply use a password manager to generate a strong new password for me. Password managers will also tell user’s when they reuse a password, or when passwords are weak and easy to guess or hack.
    That is one of the biggest problems that password managers solve; the horrible habit that fifty percent of people have which is reusing the same password for all or most of their accounts and important information. Unfortunately, I too have had issues with reusing the same password for everything. When I had this bad habit, I didn’t want to go through the trouble of memorizing a thousand different passwords for all the accounts I began to create. This wasn’t an issue when I was maybe ten years old. Unfortunately, when you grow up in the age of information and technology, the older you get the more accounts you begin to create; basically once I entered high school that’s when the number of accounts I had to my name began to rapidly increase. Therefore, as a growing human in this world I didn’t want a million passwords. This is very bad because if someone hacked me, they could have access to every single one of my accounts that held that same password. With that being said, it is very clear why password managers can be very useful keeping your information safe and secure. These managers also have may different plans including a family plan if you and your spouse need to store passwords and information on things like mortgages and joint bank accounts. They also have free options as well, which can be useful for very frugal college students like myself. Even though managers can be helpful, I personally wouldn’t use one right now. First, you have to create a master password that has to be very strong; if you forget it you can los access to all of your passwords and information. Therefore I would rather use two factor authentication and write down all my passwords where they cant be close to being touched by anyone; I don’t fully trust the internet and that’s where password managers are held.

18. Danielle Blanco November 6, 2019 at 10:54 am #

The article discusses a password manager and why people need to start using one. A password manager is a secure, automated, all-digital replacement for the little notepad that you might have all of your passwords scribbled down in now but also generate strong new passwords when you create accounts or change a password, and they store all of your passwords. All your passwords are protected by one master password. The point of the password manager is to prevent users from using the same password for multiple sites. Once a hacker gains access to one of your accounts, they will gain the access to your other accounts. There are many benefits for users to take advantage of by using a password manager. The application will store all your passwords so you will be able use different passwords for each site and all will be stored in a secure location. It also ensures that your password is strong. The application does so by letting you know when online accounts are hacked and your passwords have been exposed. This reduces that chances of being blindsided by hackers and gives you the chance to change your password. The are still downsides or concerns for the application. Although it was created to store and protect all passwords, what guarantees hackers from hacking the applications system. Now they will have all your passwords and it will specify which account the password is to, which is far more dangerous. A simple system cost 36 dollars. Some people would be willing to invest their money but speaking from my point of view, I would rather save that money. Others could not afford that expense but still want to have their passwords protected. Another issue is that the user must create a long lengthy password. Since it is a complicated password there is a strong chance that the user could forget this password. In the article, it does not specify if there is another way to access the passwords or the user loses access to them. By losing access to the passwords, the users will lose access to their accounts. Before reading the article, I was unaware that if a hacker got one password, he or she would have the ability to use that password for my other accounts if it is the same password. Or it would be easy to get if the passwords only have slight differences. I am a forgetful person and write my passwords on a piece of paper so I remember them. Speaking for myself I rather use that method than use a password manager

19. Dominic Caraballo November 6, 2019 at 12:44 pm #

With the majority of information being digital nowadays it does create more risk for users. People log into their personal bank, email, and even their subscription service accounts using the same password. This is because it is complicated to keep track of all the different passwords you need to create due to every site or app you visit asking you to create another account. One startling statistic that puts it all in perspective is that there is a hacker attack every 39 seconds. (HostingTribunal.com) Everyone is aware that they should change their passwords or write them down but people always revert back to their same old habits.

The reason their old habits keep recurring is because of a couple important reasons. If you decide to be responsible and create a new password for each site, you’ll simply end up forgetting them all because of the sheer volume. Nothing is worse than forgetting your password and having to go through the process over and over again to reset a new one. Perhaps you are indeed proactive and write them all down on a piece of paper or in your phone, but what happens when you lose either of those items? You guessed it, you are back to square one of not knowing any of your passwords and even then, those aren’t the most secure precautions you could be taking. There are simply too many passwords being created on a daily basis that it is almost silly not to invest in the security of your future by downloading a password manager app.