6 Ways To Get Ahead When You Don’t Have Connections

from Fast Company

Impact investor Nathalie Molina Niño gets a lot of emails from people looking to connect, and for good reason. After dropping out of college at 20 to run a startup, the former engineer spent several decades as both an intrapreneur (advising corporate giants like Microsoft and Disney) and entrepreneur (most recently as founder and CEO of BRAVA Investments, which backs high-growth businesses benefiting women). Her Rolodex spans not only business and technology but also politics, entertainment, and activism. Networking guru and Never Eat Aloneauthor Keith Ferrazzi called her a “super-connector.”

Still, the challenge of cultivating professional connections isn’t lost on Molina Niño. She grew up in Los Angeles far more exposed to the garment industry her immigrant parents worked in than to venture capital. Her experience outsmarting the status quo and seeing other entrepreneurs from underrepresented backgrounds do the same inspired her new book, Leapfrog. In it, she shares 50 hacks crowdsourced from leaders in her network to help others without pre-existing cultural and financial capital reach their business goals.

While she knows getting your foot in the door can be daunting, she is equally adamant that, with the right ingenuity, anyone can cultivate the connections and capital it takes to succeed. Looking to break in? Here’s where to start.

45 Responses to 6 Ways To Get Ahead When You Don’t Have Connections

1. Nora Trapp September 27, 2018 at 8:36 pm #

Reading this article was like finding that one pair of socks that went missing after doing laundry: you always knew they were missing, but you never knew where to look. To start, I am currently a senior in university who decided to change my major to entrepreneurial studies right before the start of my last year. I don’t know how my phenomena with entrepreneurship started; however, I always loved the idea that you were able to create something and make something else better. I also always liked the idea that you only get out what you put in, and being an entrepreneur is exactly that. In this article Sanders (or to credit Niño) gives any aspiring entrepreneur the checklist to getting noticed. As there are six ways covered in this piece I would like to focus on the two that I believe will be the most significant in my practice (as of now). The first: “expend energy in the right places”. This makes so much sense; however, I never considered the impact until of course someone had to write it out in front of me. You could spend thousands of hours trying to reach out to investors, but none of that matters if the investors you’re trying to get a hold of don’t even invest in your target area. Sanders states that according to Niño, “Energy is a currency, and she recommends budgeting accordingly.” As intangible as that sounds, this could so easily be quantified. Moving on to number two: “nail your story”. I’ve experienced this first hand; however, I’ve never actually had anyone tell me that I should use this to an advantage. The way I’ve applied this idea is through my interactions with professors at my university. When I grew up in an international school I wasn’t special, my story wasn’t interesting. To state an example, one of my friends had already lived in over 10 countries by the time she was 16, and that’s just one example. However, when I moved to the US for university I wasn’t like everyone else. Today, every time professors ask me where I’m from I so naturally say: “I’m from Germany, but I was born and grew up in Indonesia.” Now all of a sudden I’m different, but to me I’m exactly the same person. Like Sanders says, “If there’s one thing Molina Niño sees even the most networked people take interest in, it’s an authentic, well developed story.” Which in my case, is my story.

2. Daryna Chumak September 28, 2018 at 4:38 pm #

This article hit home for me. Being an immigrant myself and moving to a country without speaking a language is something I went through. This presents a lot of challenges that I personally needed time to figure out how to approach. When it was time for me to get my first internships and foot in the door, I felt as if I was behind. Molina Nino recommends starting by expending energy to the right places, stating your intentions upfront, starting each approach fresh, capitalize on targeted resources, and nail your story. Back in the time at my first college career fair, I did not have this advice from the article but I received advice from other students and faculty who were in the similar situation as I was. Out of the whole article, Molina’s advice to extend your energy to the right places and to always start with a fresh approach related the most to my experiences. It is important to identify for yourself your goals and interest and based on that Identify which connection you would like to make. While in today’s society it seems that the more people know you the better it is, professionally you want people to know you but it is more important to have fewer meaningful and useful connections. With that in mind, over my years in college I have maintained and evolved my networking relationship with a number of firms that I was truly interested in, rather than every company just to say that I know everyone. With those companies, not every connection turned into a mutual interest. This is why it is crucial to start with a fresh approach for every connection you would like to develop. As a result of these two main strategies that I practiced, I have completed 3 internship in the first two years of my college career with one multinational corporation and two U.S. based medium sized companies. Additionally I have participated in two leadership conferences with two of the big four accounting firms, from which I was offered internships for next summer.

3. Aaliyah Wideman September 28, 2018 at 5:30 pm #

No matter what career path you want to go down, networking is key because in the business world it is all about who you know and not so much of what you know. Not everyone has connections, like myself which makes it harder for me to land a job/ internship. I am a sophomore accounting major looking for opportunities to gain experience from an internship in accounting and later down the line an actual career, but these employers do not know me so it’s up to me to make a mark and stand out just like Molina Niño. At Rider University they have different networking events throughout the year for us students to go to and make an impression on these companies. I had recently went to the Career Fair at Rider and had the opportunity to speak to future employers and hear about their companies, and what they have to offer a student like me. Before I walked into the event, I was nervous and sick to my stomach, wondering if they would like me or not. In the end I began feeling more confident after employers asked for my resume and continuously reminded me to email them. That is why I can relate to this article by Sanders and she also discusses great ways to start “getting your foot in the door”, which could later help me for another event like this.

There were a couple of suggestions that stood out to me. The first being capitalize on targeted resources. Molina Niño states, “With these efforts comes new opportunities for those who’ve been historically left out. There’s no question that there’s bias in some corners, but in other corners there’s money sitting there waiting for us”. Me being African American in the world today, I witness other opportunities given to others, where I would have been more suitable to fit the position. As well as in careers today others are receiving more than minorities who are in the same position and possess the same amount of work ethic or more. Another suggestion given by Sanders that I like is, “nail your story”. Your story of what you been through in your life and how you overcame it tells employers the type of person you are, and the characteristics/skills within you based on that one story. Sanders mentions that you should practice it confidently and concisely presenting it because you will never know when you will be given the opportunity to be face to face with an employer. One phrase that stands out to me by Sanders is, “Strive to be so compelling that anyone with a conscience is going to want to support you however they can”. Your story should move them and grab their attention, let them want to get to know more about you and what you can do for their company.

This article opens up my eyes to the business world and makes me realize that nothing can just be passed down/ handed to me, if I want it I have to go out there and get it. From this point on I will put myself out there more, develop my story in order to show employers another side besides the workplace, and look out for resources that might be right in front of me. With that being said, in the future I hope to land an internship with an accounting firm and have that lead to full time employment.

4. Tyler Peteraf September 28, 2018 at 7:08 pm #

Something that I’ve noticed in my life is that a lot of people actually rely on prior connections when it comes to achieving their goals in business or life. However, their is also the portion of people in the world who really don’t have any connections but still have to find a way to make it in life. That is essentially what this article is going over. How does a person find a way to make connections in the intimidating business where it can be very hard to find them? As the article states, it is about making sure you use your energy on the right kind of things, and being completely up front with your approach when talking to people. In a world where people are able to get jobs because of their connections, it is important for the people who don’t to be efficient with their time and and try to connect with the right types of people. Far too many people use all of their energy on situations and people who in the end really wouldn’t be able to help them anyway. Time is invaluable when it comes too the people your trying to make connections with, and as a person that is asking something from them, it is important that you just tell them what you want. Looking at from a personal perspective, I will one day have to make my way through the real world and make something out of myself. Whether I do find a way to make connections or not, I believe that it is important to recognize the steps it takes to get there. Some people are fortunate enough to have these pre-made connections in life and are able to achieve their goals through it, but some people don’t have that luxury. For those people it is important that they know how to gain connections and make it on their own work ethic,

5. Warren Vetter September 28, 2018 at 7:17 pm #

As a business student you are always told that connections are a major key to getting a job in the future and especially out of college. It was extremely surprising to me when I first read the article that there are ways to get jobs in the United States without having any connections. This article also gives the reader great hints to finding success with and even without connections. Out of the six tips that the writer tells us the most intriguing tip to me is to expand my energy in the right places. For example, if I am starting my own company and looking for startup investors I’m going to do my research and look up top investors that will invest in startups. I’m not going to waste my energy and look up investors that I know do not invest in startups. To continue, another important tip that I read was when you call to speak to someone be direct. Do not ask them out to breakfast because that will most likely turn them away from you. Instead, be direct and tell them exactly why you are calling and what you are looking for. Investors and CEOs do not want to go out to breakfast and waste their time with someone they don’t know with a startup company that they have no interest in. Furthermore, nailing your story is also an important tip to know when you are speaking to an investor or possible boss or client. Give them a story that will really grab their attention which will give you a better chance of nailing your meeting. You will have a much better chance of getting them to sign a deal if you give them a story that’s a little personal. This is important for people because nailing a story is a helpful thing to know.

6. Amanda Nitting September 28, 2018 at 7:24 pm #

An enormous part of trying to be successful in the world and career field one is striving for is to obtain effective connections that will further one’s goals. For example, this article delves into the background of an impact investor named Nathalie Molina Niño. She went off the beaten path of attending college and ended up dropping out to later become known as a “super connector” that participates in various entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship activities. Through her experience, she has learned and now is advising others on the proper approach to attract investors and make connections. The methods Nathalie Niño highlights in this article include expending energy in the right places, stating your intention upfront, starting each approach fresh, capitalizing on targeted resources, and nailing your story. A well-thought outperformance of these ideas should lead to connections that will benefit an individual into making them successful with their business.
    For instance, the television show Shark Tank allows entrepreneurs to speak with multiple investors to try and get them to help finance their idea. The tips that Ms. Niño presented relate to this show because the ones that usually get one of the investors to invest are the ones that are direct with their information and progress, and have a credible story for the reasons behind their product or service. The last step Nathalie Niño gave about nailing your story is something is very interesting and important to remember. It is all about being able to draw your audience in and with that persuasion also becomes more in one’s favor. Emotions are crucial and dangerous in the sense that if an entrepreneur can get an investor to relate or sympathize that could be the first step in receiving their attention.
    The method that states “start each approach fresh” was one that also really stood out due to the fact that for most people it is easy to hold a grudge. However, this is a bad habit that should be broken or never started. For example, over the summer I was applying for a job and I was having trouble hearing back from them. When I would call the place of business up I would have to redo introduce myself and get the information again. In the article, it states that “When you contact someone, strive to make them feel good, not guilty.” This advice should be taken seriously because it is coming from someone that is respected and has proven herself.
    This article was very informative and can be taken as a reference in the future. By a college student, it is important to research these types of tips because it will be beneficial for the real world that is approaching very quickly. This counseling can be used in interviews for jobs and internships because it is crucial to understand what your employer is looking for. Communication and time such are key factors in every aspect of life, that lacking in one of these areas could potentially set an individual back pretty far. By learning how to communicate effectively to investors or employers will eliminate wasting anyone’s time which will better one’s chances of being successful.

7. Pedro Navarrete September 28, 2018 at 7:57 pm #

Relationships and connections has been something I always valued since I’m a marketing major. It has always been my goal to reach out to everyone I can and have them as my friend. The world was composed for everyone to work together, so I believe the more people in your network, the stronger support base you have and the more opportunities that can be available to you. This article really helped me to become more efficient for when I reach out to a mentor or someone who might be able to help me in my field. It showed me that people will appreciate if I am straight to the point. Nobody likes their time being wasted, so I learned to state my intentions upfront and capitalize on every interaction. Everyone you meet is a resource so it is important to learn from them and use what you learn to help achieve your goal.
    This article also taught me to make everyone feel good about themselves. Everyone is busy so any negative they might receive will immediately be disregard and then I start off with rough start with that person. I need to be genuine and appreciate any time this person have given to me. I also learned that if I am lucky enough to receive any attention from them, I have to interested them in what I have to say. Whatever my story is at the time has to impact them and motivate them to help me in whatever situation I am in. I have to be very compelling for everyone in order for them to support me.
    Having no connection at the start might feel discouraging at first, but the tips the article highlighted will push you ahead of the competition. The author Katie Sanders understands that the most successful people get a ton of emails from other individuals to connect, but it is important to be confident in your approach and expend your energy in the right places and individuals. I personally will be using these tips in hopes to add someone in my network to guide me into the right direction.

8. Chris Vena September 28, 2018 at 8:00 pm #

Everyone always says, it is not what you know, it is who you know. I really enjoyed this article because this is an issue for so many students like myself. Even students with many connections still may not truly know how to network. There is a big difference between knowing people and networking along with creating professional relationships. This is what Molina Nino addresses in one of her points, expend energy in the right places. I eventually learned this on my own. To get an internship, I tried to keep relations strong with people in firms that I was applying to. This did not work out for me because just knowing people is not always enough. In Molina Nino’s example she talks about connecting with the right people, while in my situation I believe I was connecting with the right people in the wrong way. Instead of being able to just know someone’s name I began to learn more about them and what they do. This resulted in my first internship last spring, at a firm I did not know anyone at, but knew a lot about people in that same profession. Another point the author made that really caught my attention was that someone should state their intention upfront. This is a good point I think I struggle with. When trying to make connections and get a job, it is easy to be shy. Being straight forward not only helps, but I believe it always shows confidence, which is a key factor in getting any job.

9. Joseph Capouch September 28, 2018 at 8:19 pm #

Throughout the process of reading the article “6 Ways to Get Ahead When You Don’t Have Connections”, I found myself becoming intrigued for a variety of reasons. Both the author of the article, Katie Sanders, and the subject of her article, Nathalie Molina Niño- a successful intrapreneur, entrepreneur, engineer, and more, help to make things interesting. To begin with, the title itself works well to gain a reader’s interests, because it is portrayed as an advice article. The title is especially appealing to a person in my shoes, a college student, pursuing a business degree, and originating from a rural area that offers few connections.
    At the beginning of the article, the author sets the stage well. She introduces the Molina Niño, who will be giving the advice, and immediately gives a bit of Niño’s history that will impress the reader. Doing this not only is interesting, but it also portrays why this woman’s advice is valid, and should be heard. Afterwards, the author gives some of Niño’s childhood history, showing a more personal side, and allowing the reader to potentially relate to her more than if they simply knew her business side. I found this particularly valuable, because factual and straightforward texts can sometimes lose my attention, or fail to impact me as fully as they could.
    Moving forward into Niño’s advice, a lot of it is helpful for someone inspiring to be an entrepreneur. This interested to me, because I come from a family of entrepreneurs, and have an interest in becoming one myself, at least some point in my life. My parents have had their own business for their entire adult life, and have always involved their kids, including me, in that business. Not only was her advice especially appealing to me, but it seemed well thought out, and very clearly came from personal experience. When advising people on how to get a person’s attention or properly engage in conversation, she brought into account how the other person will be affected by certain types of words, or phrases. By using her own experiences to give insight into the mindset of someone who could be an investor, or otherwise important person to impress, she is able to articulate very clear do’s and don’ts to her audience. Overall, I was able to appreciate the way this article was written, along with its subject matter, allowing it to keep me interested: and I believe that will be true for other people in my age group, or who otherwise hold my perspective.
    ?

10. Henry Steck September 28, 2018 at 8:42 pm #

I thought the point made Katie Sanders made about the importance of how we invite professionals to a networking lunch is super important. People are always stretched super thin these days, and like the author says this is why a vague invitation is a huge no-no. Beyond the point the author makes about such invitations putting the professional you are trying to network with on a need-to-know basis (awk), this to me also makes you look like you are disinterested and have done very little prep. When you send a pointed invitation with clear objectives, people are much more inclined to help. This ties in to a big theme in networking, which is striking a balance between keeping what is nuanced on the DL while also keeping your motives generally clear.

“Start each approach fresh” was another great point. I have seen numerous emails posted on finance meme accounts on Instagram where students are made fun of for glaring errors in an email. For me, if you are networking with BP, your email probably should not read “It was great meeting you at Chevron today.” The author also talked about keeping things straight to the point. People don’t have time to read through paragraphs of summary. There is something to be said for being too blunt, but keep things succinct. It is also easy to guilt someone with the “I have emailed you two times” line (or phrases of that nature). This is easy because it can be frustrating trying to network with professionals who will not respond. We have all been in this situation.

I remember reaching out to a top recruiter at a firm I was very interested in via linkedin. This happened about a year ago. My uncle somehow knew the recruiter from college, and I just wanted to better understand if there were even summer opportunities available at the company. This was not a hunt for an immediate internship offer… I was just reaching out to connect. I remember looking back at the message I sent a day later and seeing that the recruiter had read it, and had decided not to respond. I was extremely angry and heartbroken at the same time. However, in this moment of frustration, it would have been the wrong move to include a guilt trip in my follow ups. With these types of phrases, I knew there would be nothing to be gain but enemies. He never ended up responding, but at least I can look back and know I said nothing I regret.

Finally, the author also touches on the importance of nailing your story. Some people pass on this by thinking “I speak well, interviews will be easy for me.” This is totally false. You need to think about, write down and practice speaking to your story a ton to make sure it is absolutely perfect. As the author says, without nailing your story at the beginning, how can you continue further in an interview?

11. RyanL September 29, 2018 at 1:15 am #

The author of this article, Katie Sanders, expands on effective ways to pursue advancements without connections that can apply to college students, business owners, investors, or anyone who firmly believes in the value of self improvement and has a strong grasp on something that they are truly passionate about. From my own personal experience, I can relate to a couple of points that the author mentions in her writing such as expending energy in the right places. When I was job-searching last fall semester, I made sure to allocate my time on applications for companies that I knew were heavily involved with on-campus recruiting and had a strong alumni presence from my university, instead of ones that were “out of reach”. The reason being is that chances are statistically higher for obtaining an interview with companies that meet both of the above criteria, than with companies that were less familiar with my current university. In this case, I was proactive in the sense that I was strategizing my recruiting process around attainable goals within my scope of resources.

Another relatable point Sanders mentions is the importance of stating your intention upfront. While utilizing Linkedin and other professional networking resources, I had a higher response rate when I “set the record straight” as she puts it. To clarify, instead of sending out a vague response such as a request for a quick phone call or a coffee meet-up with little to no context, I made sure to include specific information that entailed the main reason of why I initiated the message in the first place and expressing knowledgeable interest on the subject matter. For example, when I contacted a private equity analyst working in the healthcare industry, my question did not singularly include a simple request for a phone call, but also an inquiry on the various impacts of purchase and exit multiples in an LBO model within his industry, and his general experience on supporting live deals. He responded within the same day, and we were able to meet up and discuss. Collectively, I was able to connect with other seasoned executives (managing directors and partners) working in both the financial accounting and investment banking practices, which was helpful in regards to gaining insight on what to focus on in respect to technical knowledge required in those fields. I would like to add that having no connections, receiving low response rates, or facing other extenuating situations is not the end of the world, and I advise to keep on trying and maintaining persistence.

12. Alexa Shello October 1, 2018 at 1:55 pm #

In this article, author Molina Niño discussed important ways people, especially entrepreneurs can put them in the best position to meet important connections, grab people’s attention, and keep people interested and wanting to help you. As an entrepreneurial studies major, the tips on how to be effective in meeting people that can be vital for your success (ie. Investors, mentors, etc.) is very beneficial to know. Starting in my speech class here at Rider my sophomore year with Professor Howard Joffe; he touched on the proper way to communicate with someone and a lot of the tips he offered translated to this article as well. Being clear about the reason for a meeting will be more likely to strike a response than just asking for one, not sending long paragraphs of emails that people don’t have time to read because they simply won’t read them, and having your “elevator pitch” always ready. While some of this seems like common sense, it is very easy to put someone off by seemingly wasting his or her time. As an entrepreneur it is important to show why someone needs your product or service without having to do a lot of convincing. People should want to support you and what you do if you present all of the information in the right way and ask for what you really need from people.
    Business is all about using your contacts to your advantage and building a resume of people that you trust and that can trust you. Most people we know in the business field had some kind of family member, friend, or a loose tie with someone in the industry that they want to be in. The strong and loose ties are important to building a group around you that supports and mentors you in any way that they can. For someone who does not go to college or was not raised with family in he industry that they want to be in, building these connections can be extremely difficult. This is why Niño is such a good writer and businessperson to hear from. Her credentials are very strong and she was able to build up success from the people around her even though she was not born with the connections that many of us have. My favorite line from this article stated, “Like a buffet at a party, these resources may not be delivered directly to your plate. But they are there for you to consume. They’ll likely go to waste at the end of the night if others don’t get to them first. Enjoy them.” This specific line speaks to anyone who is looking for funding, mentorship, or a job in any field. There is always opportunity out there if you go out and grab it, you cannot expect it to come to you first.

13. Hannah Roselli October 2, 2018 at 10:45 am #

This article was an amazing find for me. I say this because I am a senior in college, but I have changed my major quite a few times so I do not have the most experience in my chosen field. I started as education, so my experience is all with student teaching, but now I am a business major specifically studying Human Resource Management.
    While reading this article I thought to myself everything that was stated was extremely helpful, and extremely relevant and is something a lot of college students or adults looking for jobs should read. Many important points were raised. This article somewhat served as an advice column in a way because it explains how to really get your foot in the door in an effective manner.
    I found this extremely important especially to me because as I said most my experience is not in my chosen field, so these are steps and tips I will be using when it comes to researching companies, and reaching out to the certain companies that really catch my interest and grab my attention. The most important tips I found from this article would be when contacting someone start fresh, it is extremely important to “make them feel good, not guilty”. This is extremely important because if you have reached out to your top company once or twice you cannot reach out again stating they have not responded. It should be considered that they are busy as well as you are and you must respect their time. Another point is also stating your intention upfront. This is extremely important and relevant regarding the point I just discussed because you need to make sure your first attempt regarding reaching out to the company was upfront, and straight to your point. Personally, I am not one for reading long and lengthy emails, so I completely understand why getting to the point is important.
    While reading other responses I couldn’t help but agree with Aaliyah and how she touched on how networking is key. Since we are in the business world it really is about who you know, and not much of what you know. This is also why it is extremely important to go to career fairs, and reach out on handshake, and LinkedIn and other job recruiting websites when you see something that catches your attention and your eye. I am thankful I stumbled across this article because it is extremely helpful, especially since I am not in the position where I am looking for full-time jobs, and a career path that I can be following once I graduate from university in May.

14. Christopher P. October 2, 2018 at 11:51 am #

When I saw the title for this article, it caught my attention immediately. I said to myself, “This is a must read.” Sure enough, I’m Glad I read this article. Reading this article as an inspiring entrepreneur provided great insight on how to get funding for yourself but make-the most of your time in pristine opportune situations.
    My favorite part of the article was when the author bought up nailing your story and how she would pick a company with a story. Making it a focus to pique someone’s interest. It bought up a memory of when I was in a program called YEA, Young Entrepreneurs Academy.
    At the end of the program, we had to pitch our company to a panel of potential investors. I started to explain the logo for the company and went into a personal story. After I shared my own story, I saw the investor’s become more intrigued with what my business had to offer. In the end, after all the entrepreneurs presented, we found out how much each company got. I got one thousand dollars towards my company. Then, we had a meet and greeted with the investors. Each investor I conversed with told me they invested because of the background story that I shared along with other informative information.
    The article also shared don’t waste your time in areas where you may not benefit. Spend your time where its beneficial to you and your company. While searching for whats useful, you will come across more Opportunities. I Interpreted as focus more on your strengths and continue to build up. I found this article to be helpful if you have a chance to make a connection or use a useful resource, do it.

15. Erica Glover October 2, 2018 at 11:58 am #

This article I can really relate to because I am now almost a senior In college and one of my biggest fears is that I don’t have enough connections. I fear that I do not know enough people to succeed in the real world. I find now a days its more important who you know in the business world, rather than what you know. What also questions me most is, can we make it in life without having these connections? Do we have to solely rely on people we know to make it in life? After reading this article I felt a little more at ease. Some things that caught my eye while reading this was how the article talks about how people tend to try to connect with the wrong types of people and that you should focus more on using your energy to find the right connections. I find seeking positive energy’s in people has gotten me far in my life so far. The article also discusses when trying to approach someone or find a connection to skip the small talk and go straight in for it; waste no ones time. I find that a little intimidating to just go straight for it since I tend to be more introverted but I see where the article finds that more time consuming.
    Overall the article states ways to “get in” and find connections but one of the things I found interesting was when it talked about trying to gain interest in people who are already highly connected and influential. I think the best way to network and find connections in the business world, would be to find out what matters most to people, what interests them and gets them going. Then try to connect with them by finding a way to help them out. Another way I think to better network is to come prepared, do your research and show the person why you think they are the best person for the connection. Lastly dealing with the person personally and going into personal matter such as what they like to do, their hobbies ect; could really help you “get in” with a connection better.

16. Amber Stile October 2, 2018 at 12:02 pm #

As other comments have stated, we’re all primarily college students, and, from the looks of it, a lot of us are business majors. Networking is crucial to our survival in the corporate world. Niño understands that it’s intimidating, but she refused to back down from her aspirations. Growing up with immigrant parents, primarily surround by garment businesses, it’s so inspirational to see her transition to a successful entrepreneur. Her advice for how to make valuable connections is incredibly helpful for college students of all years – networking has neither a starting nor an ending point.
    Energy as a currency is an interesting opinion, but it’s valid. We all feel exhausted at the end of a busy day because we’ve used all of our energy at work or at different events. There’s no point reaching out to a whole industry when your interest lies in one facet of it. My major is business analytics, and while it may be helpful to reach out to financial firms and supply chain corporations, my primary concern needs to be with the technology department of that corporation. Accounting employees will have no interest in my analysis, they care about my final numbers. Information technology will be more interested in what I have to offer. The rest of Niño’s points focus on being straightforward, forgiving, seeking out resources, and knowing your background.
    This article isn’t geared towards only future, potential entrepreneurs, it’s for anyone who wants to enhance their networking and communication skills. Regardless of your field, business or not, communication is key and some of these points are necessary for just simple conversation. There’s no point in holding grudges, or avoiding what you really want to ask. Molino Niño is a truly inspirational person.

17. Paul Lee October 2, 2018 at 10:46 pm #

As a Junior that is part of the Stillman School of Business, one of most prestigious University schools around New Jersey, this article is a serious learning tool to establish business relationship. I highly encourage many of my peers and those who choose to join our Business school to read this article. It will surely help many to talk to professionals and establish those desired relationship. Reading this article, it shows important and very helpful tips on how to create professional relationships from, “Super Connector”, Nathalie Molina Nina. It tells you how to effectively grab a professional’s or investor’s attention to how to properly state your intention. Nathalie Molina Nina had such simple tips that I had no clue. For example, how one can can leave a long-lasting memory on professionals. I also thought it was interesting to learn that if a professional does not contact you again or does something to you that you do not like, do not be negative or make them feel guilty. But you should make them feel good, this way it keeps a fresh start each time. If you were to make the person feel good, they will think highly of you. This where it starts to the beginning of professional relationship. This is such a key factor that I overlook, I always feel frustrated when professionals or employers ignore me or forget about me. I occasionally point their mistake out but, now, I learned that was a terrible mistake. That does not create a relationship but a terrible memory of yourself. Just one of the little details that make a huge difference in connecting with others.
    With so many business college students in the tri-state, competing very heavily with one another to be accepted for an internship or job position. Each one of them must market themselves to professionals and businesses, make themselves appealing as a first rate and efficient worker.
    As a junior myself, our business school and the career center teach business student to always refine yourself and market yourself. If one can do this, then he or she can find an internship or establish long lasting professional relationships. When I was showed what one must do to create professional relationship, I thought it was difficult and an overload of details to know. One must know how to properly greet a professional to a 30 second elevator pitch. Nonetheless, I was overwhelmed and only thought this was the only way to establish business relationships. However, this article on six different ways to connect with professionals elevated my knowledge of how to interact with others.
    This article has taught me so much on how to properly advertise oneself to establish professional relationship. Nathalie Molina Nina changed my knowledge of how to move forward in establishing myself in the career market and, especially, as a person. I am currently finding summer 2019 internship by attending the university’s career fair to applying over Linkedin.com. Through all of this, I find myself very nervous for interviews or simply talking to professionals about myself. I always worry that I am not differentiating myself from others, not showing professionals what I can do to why I am talking to them. I worry that I am too formal, I did not say the right words, or I am way too laid back. Through these different fears, I could not talk to professionals to the best of my ability. After reading this article, it has opened my eyes when trying to advertise oneself on the job market or establishing professional relationships.

18. Jordan H October 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

The author of this article comes from immigrant parents, so her insight on how to network yourself to gain capital or connections comes from experience. For students or individuals who want to start their own business this article provides some really great advice for those who do not have friends or relatives already in their field of interest. She shares tips and tricks that she has accrued over her career, all of them being helpful in some way to those looking to incur capital or industry connections. Not everything that worked for her will work for your own interests, but the theoretical application can be applied to nearly any situation.

Recent generations have a stigma of being impatient and wanting everything done for them, and Nathalie Nino explains that patience in the business world is a virtue. Do not give up and get frustrated, instead look to improve and try again. Ingenuity goes a long way, but it makes more sense to narrow down your field of view before expending too much time and effort on the wrong people. Nino offers up advice on how to re approach a situation that did not pan out in the first or second attempt. Start up companies can face difficulty finding funding early on and as a result many of them do not last more than two or three years, but with proper steps and careful allocation of resources Nino expresses that it is possible to obtain funding for companies that would otherwise be overlooked. Do not give up after failing once or twice, stay adamant on what you are trying to do and every time you fail it will bring you that much closer to success.

Nathalie’s final point of getting potential investor’s attention and focusing on why they would want to work with you or invest in your startup is probably the most important. A compelling story that brings out why you have such a driving passion for what your company is trying to do is pivotal. Nobody is going to hand you a large sum of money if you do not seem interested or compassionate about what you are selling. Connections in the business world are not hard to come by, you just need to be looking in the right places. Even college students looking to get a job after graduation can use her advice to help further their chances of landing their dream job, or any job for that matter. Whether you are looking for an industry connection or a lead on a potential investor it is important to be clear, concise and compelling in your approach.

19. Alexis Pateiro October 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm #

Reading this article, made me realize how crucial it is for everyone entering the business world to network or find connections in order to start moving toward your career. No matter how much you know about business or the career you chose to pursue, it is very important to find someone in that business to open opportunities for a career. Without connections it makes getting the job ten times harder, I realized this when it was time for me to look for an accounting internship to work at before I graduate. When I applied to many internships that were available on Handshake, I realized I had a long list of companies but did not know anyone in those companies. That is when I knew it was very important for me to go to the career fair Rider University offers so that I could introduce myself and to become familiar with the recruiters of each companies. Standing out and being social with the recruiters opened many doors for me and creating those relationships allowed me to have options for internships.
    After many interviews, I ended up choosing to intern at one of the “Big Four” accounting firms that Rider University invited to the career fair. The reason I chose this company is because I became close to the recruiter and received a lot of information about this company. The internship itself was set up so that I worked with a small group of auditors. It was extremely important that I had a good attitude and created relationships with my co-workers and supervisor. I got along with everyone on the team and always went to networking events that the internship offered. Going to these events lead me to meet the partner of the firm I was interning for. I tried to speak to her as much as possible in order for her to recognize me and to leave a good impression. When it came to the end of my internship I was called to the firm to meet with the partner in her office. She looked at my work that I have done and the relationship I created between my co-workers and I and she was very impressed by the feedback I got from my supervisor. I ended up getting a job offer where I start as soon as I graduate, which leads me to believe that if I did not network and make my own connections I would not be on the path that I am on now. I cannot stress how disconnected I was from the business world when I first started, but putting myself out there and meeting people really benefited my career in the long run.

20. Victor Prieto October 4, 2018 at 7:25 pm #

This article struck home, as I was raised by two immigrant parents myself. Given that they lived in the United States after being raised in Ecuador their entire lives, my parents were never much help to me when figuring out important decisions to make in my professional career. My sister and I had to figure it out by ourselves, and our parents were there for support when they could be.
    Needless to say, now that I am in college, I had to make my professional network from scratch and it has been a work-in-progress over these last four years. I do my best to reach out to any co-workers or professionals I meet in every position that I hold. I recently started thinking to myself: “Ok, they have accepted my LinkedIn request. Now it has been three years since we have seen each other or spoken. Now what?” I commend Nathalie Molina Nino for her ruthless entrepreneurial ways that have bought her much success. When expanding energy in the right places, I find it fascinating that even a first-time founder who could use any help that comes their way, should still be more selective and have a strategy as far as networking with the right people.
    Molina’s advice regarding how to talk to professionals does not just fit in the workplace, but in day-to-day situations as well. Communicating clearly and concisely makes your intentions transparent. As opposed to being vague, speaking your intentions from the start ensures nobody’s time is wasted. Communicating to people with a fresh approach is important to make it clear that the past is history and you are set on working well with that person in the future. I am very impressed by Backstage Capital founder Arlan Hamilton for her wonderful funding to invest in diversity in the workplace. In a day where Twitter is used for any little reason, using social media platforms for powerful messages and helping in anyway should be appreciated. The biggest takeaway is to actually use these resources rather than letting them go to waste. When networking with professionals doing wonderful things, it is important to come off as your authentic self: Not only to make an impression, but to be sure that an actual connection between both parties is being made. Everybody has a very unique life and have overcome their own battles and challenges: Being able to talk about them accurately and honestly is what separates you from everybody else.

21. Gabrielle Bram October 5, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Networking is a main component of the business world, and no matter what industry someone is in it is important to connect with people. This article contains many good networking tips and ideas to help connect with important individuals. I think personally this article will help me network in the field of accounting. I have been interviewing for internships, and some of the evidence given by Molina Niño could help me through the interview process and network with the company’s recruiters. Networking is something I know I need to improve on to be successful and reading an article with diverse information can really improve my networking abilities.
    I recently went to the Rider University Career Fair and have had several interviews this past week and it has been very stressful. Molina Niño discusses how to get right to the point and state what you want from them when talking or emailing someone, and that could help me with my interview process. Molina Niño also discusses placing energy in the right places, which means don’t waste time trying to contact someone that really cannot help you. This information applies to be because I shouldn’t waste my time applying or interviewing for a spring internship when I can’t work in the spring because I am on the softball team. I also research a company and see if I’m a right fit before applying for a position. Molina Niño also talks about creating a story for what you are trying to sell or get someone to invest in something. It makes a lot of sense to make a story that someone can connect with to gain their attention. This strategy could be very useful to me in the future.
    I currently read an article “How to Diversify Your Professional Network” by Amy Nauiokas and the article is about how to separate yourself when connecting with new people. The article talked about similar strategies including straight forwards emails. I think both articles are important to read to help prepare for professional networking.

22. Michelle Vekshteyn October 5, 2018 at 1:05 pm #

The one thing that I have learned so far from being at Seton Hall is that networking is a super important aspect in the business world, and life in general. People will always constantly be trying to make new connections throughout their entire lives. Platforms such as LinkedIn are used specifically for these networking benefits. Some people may think that using these platforms is just a temporary thing until you find a job, but in reality it never stops. Knowing people will never harm you, in fact only lead to more opportunities. I recently went to a marketing club meeting where we had a guest speaker talk about all of the different ways that networking impacted his career. He knew so many random people that had a connection with a person of a high position in the companies he was interested, which is how he was able to get the internships and jobs that he did. Even now to this day former coworkers and bosses reach out to him, and they continue to do each other favors.
    The name of this article suggests that not everyone has it as easy as just knowing someone that can provide them with an incredible opportunity. Not everyone in this world is handed benefits, most people must work hard to build connections and “get their foot in the door”. This article talks about immigrants and how coming from another country and not knowing anyone is especially difficult. My parents immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1991. They had zero friends here and barely knew the language. I understand how hard it must have been for them to get to where they are now. Currently, my dad’s success in and exposure to the business world has lead him knowing so many people. He constantly knows a guy, as people say.
    While your own parents can have connections and be able to help you get on your feet, it is important to understand the steps that Molina Niño has written about. After reading what she had to say, I feel good about myself as an individual because I am very straight forward and have a good approach on things. Obviously, I have not had as much experience as her or older adults, but I have a good understanding of what to do and what not to do in the scenarios that she explains. My business writing teacher is a huge advocate for asking employers for a meeting instead of calling it an interview and being very specific as to what the goals of the conversation will be. The only difference is that Niño states that, “It doesn’t matter if you’re asking for 15 minutes of my time or two hours. You don’t get any of my time when you keep me on a need-to-know basis. Tell me what it is you want it for.” If you’re fundraising, say so. Looking to speak with an employee at a specific company about the organization’s culture before accepting an offer? Lead with that. More than making an ask small, focus on making it clear, so as to waste no one’s time.” And my teacher says to ask for 5-10 minutes. I like both approaches because my professor’s way shows that you’re well-rehearsed, motivated, and have a point to make, but coming from the employers perspective, they want to know what it is that you want and then the amount of tiime will be decided depending on how it goes. even when pitching an idea, give a good straight forward explanation instead of being vague and not unique. I will definitely keep these points with me as I continue to network in my life.

23. Michael Robins October 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm #

Networking is something that everyone has done beginning at an early age. When we were all kids, we tried to make as many friends as possible. This was so that we had people who we could play with at recess. Then we made friends and got in touch with people so that we could study with them and receive or give help. For college students like me, it has now become all about getting to know people and establishing connections to hopefully find a job to setup a career. This is especially true for business students like myself but applies to practically anyone. Many good points were made in the article of how to better network. Establishing connections is essential to not only entrepreneurs, but almost anyone looking to enter the business world. It is a skill that has always been important and in my view always will be. Molina Nino shares very good information on how to best network.
    One of Molina Nino’s tips that really stood out to me is the one that talks about energy and expending it in the right places. I have never looked at it in this way before, but when she states that energy is a currency, this really resonated with me. Learning how to best spend your energy, especially when it comes to networking, is extremely crucial. Learning to find ways to best help yourself is the most important thing you can do with your connections. For example, if a basketball player tried to establish a connection with a tennis agent, this would not help the basketball player at all. This is why Molina Nino makes a great point about spending energy in the right places. Stating your intention upfront is another great tip. To me, this exhibits honesty and a will to achieve something. People that already have connections will more likely want to work with people who are honest and generally do not play around and waste time. This also equates back to why they have connections themselves a lot. Some people are born into having connections but for some that do not, networking is extremely important for career success.

24. Skylin Riedweg October 5, 2018 at 5:42 pm #

Networking is something that is constantly on my mind as a college student. I go through my LinkedIn page a few times a week, building my network and adding connections with everyone I meet. Networking is an important part of building a career in any field. It is what will lead to co-ops, internships and future job offers. Unfortunately, there isn’t a class on how to network. It is something that you have to learn through personal experience and the experience of others. Molina Nino gives good tips on how to network effectively but I think the one I took the most out of is using your energy properly. There are only so many hours in a week and if you are devoting time and energy to networking without reward, it is emotionally and physically draining. You could be spending less time and more rewarding opportunities if we spend our time and energy more wisely. Molina Nino says that a good way to do that is through research and tailoring your connections to fit your goal. Although it seems like common sense, reading it made me really think about it. It is easy for me to get sidetracked and overwhelmed when I am dedicated to pursuing a goal. It is human nature to want to take any and every opportunity that may help us achieve a goal. However, if I just take a step back and evaluate what my best options are, I can use all my energy exploring those instead of spreading myself thin.

25. Amy Rheel October 5, 2018 at 6:38 pm #

I found this article very appropriate for the society that we live in today where everyone is trying to start their career through people that they know. This article hits the stress it is to start you name or brand without having that connection that someone’s father might have. I can relate to this article because my parents did not attend college and today someone’s parents know someone they work with and give their children an internship. I went and found my way to get my name out there in order to land my internships to further my initiation to starting my career after college. The steps that author mentions is very analytical that help keep someone at the early stages of starting a business to think about. Something that stuck out to me for one of the steps was trying to find energy in the right places instead of wasting your time being denied. As in doing some research and finding if you fit the category of what someone is looking for instead of shooting in the dark wasting your own time trying to apply for something that is unrealistically going to happen. Something very helpful that is also a part of this article as a step to starting a career is having a story for yourself. As in creating an image of who you are through a time you had an experience or situation that you overcame. This is used so much today in the business world during the interview process to show employers what you are capable of along with having a story that can show your characteristics of problem solving. As the article uses the term having an “impact” on someone you are trying to grab their interest of so they can remember you out of the hundreds of people applying for the same opportunity.

26. Douglas Tkac October 5, 2018 at 6:57 pm #

I can’t stress enough how important I find this article. Not only did I find this article helpful, but it made me look back on how many of these things I have done right, and how I’ve done oh-so-many things wrong.

Even though this article was interesting, the first thing I looked for as I read was to see how credible this information is, and who it’s coming from. The fact that these tips are coming from a successful businesswoman such as Molina Niño make this article seem and feel a lot more authentic then some BS article written by some blogger from Buzzfeed that has been handed everything to them. As I read more about Niño, I quickly realized that she knows what the hell she is talking about, and that I can trust this article whole-heartedly.

Her first points, relating to expending energy and being upfront with your intentions, speak to me deeply, as I have been working on doing so as of late. For example, instead of going to every business related seminar or career fair that may not even relate to my career at hand, I pick and choose a variety of events that have at least something to do with my major and/or minor, so that way I maximize my potential of having productive conversations, have a higher chance of landing a certain connection with someone, or just simply gathering more information about the field and seeing if this is what I really want to do in the future.

This article did call me out on my wrongdoings, though. As the article mentions, it is important to start the conversation fresh, and not repeatedly state what you need and what you’ve done for the person, or make it known how long you’ve been trying to reach them. It reeks of desperation and will not lead you anywhere. I have done this on multiple occasions when looking for a job, and all of those jobs that I did that to DID NOT call me back. I didn’t realize it at first, but man did it make me look like a massive tool.

I plan to keep this article bookmarked for when I need tips when trying to land a potential internship, I just need to be up front and be aggressive, yet patient. The good things will come.

27. Petar Micevski October 5, 2018 at 7:12 pm #

Networking is essential in all aspects of your life. Without some form of communication, people cannot survive in this world. In my personal experience, I have always found myself to be a more extrovert than introvert person. Ever since I was young, I always loved to communicate and just talk with people because it is the best way to develop street smarts. If you keep your circle of interest wide, you’ll be able to see how people of differing backgrounds interact. This not only widens your experience with cultures and strengthens your communication ability, but it also shows you an extra level of understanding for the person, which would make you see the methodology behind their decision-making skills. From my years of communicating, I have found that in order to learn from it, you must step out of your comfort zone. Also, you must be able to establish a common ground before you start learning about the person which you are communicating with. In my opinion, what I like the most when people communicate is the genuine factor that comes with a person. When a person exhibits a genuine personality, it creates an atmosphere that is more relaxing. This type of personality in a person is very desirable, and it is actually what most hiring managers should look for in a person. If a person is genuine, people have a certain respect for them, which is what paves the foundation of the networking system. Having a certain respect for someone goes a long way because if somebody is reliable, then that means that they can prove themselves in the workplace. If you are the person that recommends a reliable employee, your reputation goes up as well as theirs.

Networking for me is fundamentally the practice of showing that you are a genuine person that understands how the real world works. If people find that out about you early on, they would love to hire you because they know that you understand how a workplace should function. In order to network properly, you must be open to new ideas and feelings, which is why it is of utmost importance to keep your mind open to new topics, ideas, and customs.

At the end of the day, employers want an employee that doesn’t cause a problem. An employee that doesn’t cause problems are money-savers, and money-savers get the job first. That is why being genuine is so important: It may one day give you an extra bump in the competition of the workplace.

28. Robert Musantry October 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm #

Coming into college, many students like myself are told that “who you know matters more than what you know.” Basically, this idea says that making connections in your potential field while in college is actually more important than what a student learns in classroom. It makes sense, because no matter how much you know, it is much easier to get a job when you personally know someone who is hiring or knows of someone who is hiring. But how does one actually make meaningful connections? That’s where this article comes in. The ideas presented come from the mind of Nathalie Molina Nino. She dropped out of college to run a startup, and has since worked for large companies such as Microsoft. As such, she knows more than a little about connections in the business world. Right off the bat, her first point hit home for me. In order to get where we want to go, we need to focus our efforts in that direction. Molina Nino describes this concept by saying “energy is currency” meaning it is limited and has value so we must spend it wisely. For me, this means narrowing down what events I spend time at and who I talk to. My major, Sport Management, tends to not be very sought after by employers. This means that when I go to career fairs I have to do a good bit of preparation and research so I know what companies might be interested in me and how I can connect with them. The most impactful point she made was the last one, where she talked about “nailing your story.” What Molina Nino means here is that everyone has a why for doing something. This reason makes whatever you are doing more interesting, as it can show why you are so passionate and involved in what you are doing. If you do not have this why, important people are less likely to be interested in you, and you may lose opportunities. On the other hand, if the why is super intriguing and can grab someone’s attention, your idea will immediately seem more valuable. Overall, I feel as though this six steps are things I need to work on soon, as I am going to need to find a job, and making connections with important people will make this easier and probably allow me to advance in my field quicker, just as Molina Nino did.

29. Michael Martini October 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm #

This article really caught my eye as soon as I saw the word “connections”. Not knowing what you want to do can be a huge challenge, but not knowing where to even start can be harder. I personally can relate to this article because although I am currently taking business courses in college, I have no clue what I would like to do with the rest of my life. That being said, I also am unsure how I am going to put myself out there and find a steady, well-suitable career for myself. Mostly everyone I talk to about jobs says that they have gotten a connection or two to get to where they are now. Finding a job is very hard because I also know people who have degrees, schooling, and mass experience but are still unemployed. To the best of my knowledge, I have heard that some colleges, such as Seton Hall, have the right connections and will pass you on to a good employer once you are done with school. This is by far a huge benefit of the school, however it is not always guaranteed. My dad has underwent different careers and was able to get his foot in the door through connections, mainly by the people he knew. For example, if a family member is a police officer, then they will be able to put in a recommendation for you and move you to the top of the application list. Getting ahead on your own is very difficult, but it’s not impossible. Having connections just makes it easier in order to succeed in certain parts of your life. You may not think it, but everyone in this world has a connection somewhere down the line, whether it’s who you know, where you go to school, or where you live. The key is to never stop trying because eventually you will get to where you want to be, no matter if it takes 1 year or 10 years.

30. Conor Lally October 5, 2018 at 8:54 pm #

As a 23 year old individual in his final year of college who stresses about the future more than anyone I’ve come across, I found this article extremely helpful and refreshing. College has been an extremely beneficial part of my life so far between obtaining a higher education, learning to live on my own, and meeting endless amounts of new contacts. However, without much experience in the real world at times it can be difficult to properly take advantage of said contacts and new connections. I’ve found there are an extensive amount of norms within the “real world” that one may not know until experiencing it first hand and making mistakes.

This article has been an eye opener personally. Through college I have worked in a setting where I meet new people every single day, at a golf course. I am responsible often times for two individuals to ensure they have the best possible time they can during their 4 hours under my wing. I have excelled at my position, and often times am praised by the people I work for. There are certain individuals I see on a more frequent basis and have grown to form a relationship with. When the time comes to obtain my degree, I fully intended on reaching out to some of these people for any individuals they could potentially put me in contact with that could give me an interview, or get my foot in the door somewhere I’m interested in. When the time came, I planned on not being as upfront as Molina Niño states you should be with her quote “‘Can I take you out for breakfast?’ and ‘Can I pick your brain?’ are excellent ways to turn a busy person off.”’ Personally, I felt that being straight to the point could potentially come off as rude, however now it’s easy for me to see how most professionals are often much more busy than a young early college graduate attempting to find their way in the world.

31. Dimitri Drosos October 5, 2018 at 9:42 pm #

After reading this article, it only highlights the importance that who you know is just as important as what you know, if not more. The tips provided are useful to say the least. I think the main point that one can gather is that you have to be straight to the point. It is true. Things are moving so fast nowadays and time is a very valuable currency. When you do not have a great deal of help, you have to learn how to get ahead.
    The most important piece of advice in the article, I feel, is that you have to “nail your story”. The example of the calorie-counting app shows that you have to put trust in yourself and be confident. These are the traits that many of the best entrepreneurs possess. There have been many entrepreneurs who have taken their ideas and turned them into multi-million dollar businesses. Jeff Bezos of Amazon made the company the second ever to reach a value of $1 trillion, according to time.com. That is very impressive by any entrepreneur.
    All in all, it important to realize that connections are like the backbone of the business world. The article guides those who believe that they can, or have, to get ahead on their own. It is nothing short of helpful.

32. Amari J October 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm #

Networking is a major part of getting your foot in the door of businesses in today’s day and age. It is more about who you know rather than what you know in most careers. Not everyone has connections to the right sources of people. Fortunately, being that I am a collegiate athlete at a D1 university I can connect with many other athletes in the workforce. But I would like to learn how to network based on my ability to connect rather than my talents and status as a basketball player. Being a senior in college you would think that I’ve taken advantage of the many networking events that have taken place at the universities I have attended, but I haven’t. I didn’t take networking seriously until now. I am currently in the process of participating in Rider’s Women’s Leadership Council, which matches its students to a relatable business woman in the workforce today. This will be my first step towards networking outside of basketball. Like Nathalie Nino said I must expend my energy into the right places. Joining this program will allow me to attend exclusive conferences and meetings with woman that are already in the career that I would like to be in and set me up with a mentor that I can start a professional relationship with. Reading this article has reassured me that being an upfront person is the best when seeking someone’s attention and communicating my interest in them. Networking is like any other relationship, communication is key. Even when communication is not going your way you have to start each approach fresh and friendly. Although, it is frustrating when you don’t get a response to your emails or text messages it is key to make the one you’re reaching out to feel good, not guilty. Networking is like a big project, you must do you research to ensure you have capitalized on your target resource. This article has taught me that you have to implement your time and energy in the right places. There is a difference between knowing someone and knowing the right person to benefit your future. And lastly you must “nail your story”. While networking you have to appeal to your crowd by telling the story of your life and how you overcame whatever obstacles you have been through. Nathalie Nino is a very diligent and successful woman willing to share her knowledge with the world. What I took from that knowledge is that if I want a bright future in my career I have to work for it by knowing the right people, utilize the right resources, and having the willpower to go get what I want in life.

33. Taylor Mennie October 9, 2018 at 2:41 pm #

Networking is a major part of getting into the door in business. It is so essential to having important contacts from people who are highly connected in successful businesses. Unfortunately, not everyone has those types of connections. This article sparked to me since it deals with channeling and focusing energy to certain people to whom can break or uproar another’s career but the importance is to be clear, quick, and to the point. In business, professionals like short, conceive facts that can be influential or demeaning to a company. However, when trying to get some person’s attention is to make the person feel good before just communicating the need, why, or the how. Do not put someone in the guilt since they did not answer you 3,000 emails beforehand. So sympathy, we are all human and we all mistakes because life can get hectic.
    Furthermore, when starting to communicate with a busy person is lead with a question or concern that could make the busy person gravitate to answering it. Also, no business person wants to be on a need-to-know basis meaning making small talk or small asking points. Communicating is huge in business, but focus on making things clear and structure, so no one’s time is wasted. Also, when finally meeting with these highly connected individuals always remember an elevator speech or a narrative story that helps to pitch yourself. For example, a short meaning can mean a lot or less to someone establishing a connection. Tell your story from starting with a name, a school, accomplishments, and future endeavors to which someone wants to pursue. Another focus point is to wrap a “why” around your ask. Making the story a full circle and not leaving out aspirations but it also needs to be short and concise when presenting it to the busy individual. Always strive for greatness, professionalism, and network to the best of abilities.

34. Nick C October 9, 2018 at 3:31 pm #

Having a good network and a good set of connections is key in the business world. A good network can make life ten times easier when doing business with other people. This article gives advice to those people who want more connections when they don’t have any. The two pieces of advice that I agreed with the most were expending energy in the right places and starting each approach fresh.
    For starters, you need to allocate your time and energy in the right places. This means staying away from unnecessary networking tactics. For example, if you want to network with engineering students, only try to connect with them instead of trying to connect with other people. I agree with this because time and energy are both limited and should be used wisely.
    Starting each approach fresh is also another important concept when you are trying to network and make new connections. If someone is busy, they don’t want to hear any unnecessary information. They just want to hear the main point. This is very true and relates back to time and energy being limited. In addition to this, you want to make the person you are trying to connect with feel good about themselves and not guilty about themselves.
    Overall, networking can be hard at times, but if you are smart about who you connect with and what you do to connect with these people, then you can be successful in your networking endeavors.

35. Olivia I. October 11, 2018 at 7:05 pm #

Ms. Nino is an example of a self-made woman who persevered to accomplish her goals. While no easy feat, her persistence is inspiring. I think it is especially admirable that she is willing to share her steps to success so that others can make it to the top too. Her story is proof that no matter where one starts, everyone has goals for success and can reach them by giving it their all and learning as we go. My favorite step she gave is about nailing one’s story. I feel that this is the most important because those you are trying to get on your side will not be willing to take a chance on you if you are not up front with them about your intentions and your story.
    I also feel that her advice about starting each approach fresh is helpful too. So many times I fee like I am bothering people who I reach out to, but she gives me hope that not addressing past encounters will help make a better impact on the person I am trying to reach. The advice this woman shares seems like it really works but it probably over looked in the real world by students because they focus on other aspects. I want to try to incorporate them into my professional aspects of my life too.

36. Aaron R October 12, 2018 at 8:27 pm #

The opening topic “Expand Energy In the Right Places” is a critical concept that I feel most individuals are not taught. Most are aware that networking is one of, if not the most, important factors in career advancement. Though, this concept is misconstrued with the thought that all networking is good networking. Time is limited and therefore one needs to first define what area they are trying to reach, and pick out who can offer you a direct line to that focus point. It is more beneficial to build strong authentic relationships with a few people respected in that field rather than meeting and briefly talking to hundreds of individuals in which one only achieves small talk with. This is where one’s research and understanding of the structure of the specified industry will prove to be extremely beneficial.
    I also agree with the subject of expressing one’s core intentions upfront. Often people can discern one’s reasoning for contacting them despite how the individual presents the initial conversation. Another critical aspect to this is that one does not bring on the perception that they are merely using the contact to reach their desired destination. So despite not wanting to use small talk, it is still essential that one communicates or express their interest specifically in the person they are contacting as opposed to their position or status. I also agree with the premise in always expressing gratitude to the person that you are seeking help from. It is important not to make it seems as though you connecting with them is burdening, or that they owe you a favor. People will be more inclined to offer their support if they feel you truly to appreciate their help.
    Finally, I believe the concept of understanding yourself and the opportunities that are best suited to your profile are significant keys to success. Many initiatives and sponsorships are tailored to specific skill sets and if you can identify your key traits you can exploit these opportunities to increase your rate of success. Marketing yourself to a position that does not align with your skill set will always be significantly harder so it is essential, before embarking on that journey, to make sure there are not alternative paths that will lead to the same objective. This all comes under the umbrella of knowing your story. Individuals must know what makes them different and why they are pursuing a specific area as opposed to the millions of other opportunities. The people in your target industry can detect if you are genuinely passionate about the position or if you have alternate motives. Overall getting ahead is not only determined by hard work, but instead a mixture of determination, and the efficient use of resources while being able to present yourself in a refined package.

37. Anthony Ciaralli October 24, 2018 at 9:11 pm #

When looking for a job or starting a business it is important to have connections and networking skills. These are two of the most important things anyone can have. For many students, connections and networks are formed by meeting people in college and gaining work experience from internships. In college, there are always important events that students can go to for networking, such as career fairs. These are important because they can help you get jobs and make connections with employers.
    Other important things that are discussed in the article are valuing time and capitalizing on your resources. For many business owners, time management is very important, especially if they don’t have any connections. It is important to treat time valuable and get ahead in their business. Owners should also capitalize on their resources in a market and help them get ahead. It is important for business professionals to take advantage of all their opportunities and try to network out, so it is easier for them in the business world.

38. Erica L. October 25, 2018 at 1:51 pm #

I thought this was a very interesting read. This is a very helpful article to read as we are starting to look at our futures and what we need to do in order to get to where we want to be. I really thought the first point about spending our energy in the right places is very important. I think it is something that I need to focus on and it is something that is very over looked. I believe that a lot of this has to go into doing research prior to talking with people. Understanding the company and getting to know what they are about is very important because one shouldn’t waste their time with a company if they believe they will not fit in. Also, another point that I found interesting is when the article talked about focusing on the positives and not expressing that you have already reached out to them. I think this is something I am definitely guilty of. I have said before that I’ve sent them an email but I’ve never really thought about that negative effect until now. Lastly, similar to this, I think having a good conclusion to leave the conversation is important. By the end of the conversation I think making sure they know you are interested is important because that will make them remember you.

Lastly, and most importantly, I think asking questions can go such a long way even if you feel hesitant or shy. This is not talked about in the article but I still feel that it is important to do for two reasons. First, it shows the person that you are interested by wanting to learn more. Secondly, asking questions can get you information you never thought you could get. This connects to this article because you never know who knows who. So using your resources and asking questions can go such a long way because it is a small world and there are so many connections people have that you may not know about. All of these six points were very interesting and they made so much sense because they are simple things that can make such a huge difference in our future.

39. Schron B October 26, 2018 at 8:07 pm #

The article focuses on networking and ways to advance those opportunities even among people you don’t really know. It’s pretty much universally agreed upon that being able to network is an incredibly advantageous skill for people to have. A key theme throughout the article is the idea of not wasting time and being very clear with people you are trying to network with. I think telling people your intentions from the start is actually a smart move since it makes he rest of the interaction have a purpose. This ends up making everything easier and go along smoother. I appreciated the advice about being honest with your story. It becomes real difficult to be able to fully invest in someone when you are not sure who they are.
    Networking effectively is a skill that is highly sought after but actually hard to learn how to do. The points in the article put emphasis on being clear with whomever it is you attempt to network with. It’s important to be open, honest and also pay attention to the other person or people as well. That foundation is likely to be a huge help for people who have a history of struggling with networking.

40. Cassie sibilski November 2, 2018 at 9:13 am #

This article was very interesting and informative to read. It discusses how important it is to make connections to many people in whatever field you work in, because it is always important to know a lot of people in whatever you do, as that can really help you down the line. The article presents a couple of tips and tricks one can use when trying to make a business connection with someone, and I feel like they are pretty helpful. People always say that “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know”, that will often end up leading you to success. This has a lot to do with how important personal connections are. When a lot of people’s resumes today end up looking very similar, it may just be the push you need to get your foot in the door if you happen to know someone already in the company that could put in a good word for you, thus giving you a long up among other possible job candidates. Knowing people along the way is also very beneficial because you could run business related questions by the people that you know working in the same field as well. In the business world, connections are everything and that is just what I’ve been hearing in my business related classes here at Seton Hall. I’ve also noticed that the school hosts many networking events to connect students with potential employers and internships, as well as just to gain some knowledge from these working professionals. This is one of the great things about this school. They have great internship opportunities through the school that can allow students to connect with big companies that could end up turning into a real job. In order for this to really be beneficial, a student has to make the most of what Seton Hall has to offer, and make sure they know what they’re doing at these networking events. It is also important to know what type of events you should be meeting people at, because if you don’t have the right connections, they won’t really be helping you out at all.

41. Michael Zera November 2, 2018 at 3:43 pm #

In this article, “6 Ways to get Ahead When you Don’t Have Connections,” I enjoyed reading this as it gave me much insight regarding specifically getting a job. I can relate to this as I too was someone who grew up with no connections. I grew up the way most people do as my parents did not help me with much growing up as they did not have connections. If I wanted to make a sports team or get a job for example, it would have to be all on my own and I would have to work hard to earn any position. I like how Sanders uses 6 important steps to assist someone with no connections to help get he or she started. Obviously, knowing people helps when looking for a job, but most people do not have these opportunities. Sanders uses one of her ways as “State your intention upfront” as she says be straight to the point when what you are looking for. Such as a job, email or call back the employer in what exactly your intention is. For example, calling back the employer following back on a job application is a great way in stating your intent right away. Get straight to the point and avoid and sounds informative, as sounding uncertain is not a good way when speaking to someone of importance. Another point Sanders state is “Nail your story” as having a reason why you contacted the head employer is important in separating yourself from other individuals. Give a reason as to why you want this position as many people have probably states similar answers from one another. Saying, “I want this position because it has a good salary and is close to my house” will most likely not be successful. Instead saying something such as, “ I want this position because I have had 5 years of experience in this field and feel that I am well prepared for this opportunity” sounds a lot better. Sanders discusses many more points in her article that will make anyone who does not have a lot of connections find it easier to do it by themselves. As I said early, I have had many examples of this in my life as I applied to a worldwide golf store that deals with thousands of orders every day. I had to prepare and work on my application as having the interview felt easy as I prepared myself. In general, even if you do not have connections in wanting something, there are alternatives in striving to receive the goal.

42. Silky B November 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm #

The phrase “It’s not what you know but who you know” is extremely true. There is plenty of reference to that in this article. I completely agree with the notion that one’s connections are what gets them ahead in life. People sometimes are lead to believe that just having a degree in something is the only thing needed to break into whatever career they aspire to be in. That is frequently not the case. This is the reason why college undergrads are encouraged to have internships under their belt when applying to jobs. That experience along with the people they met throughout the internship will advance them in their career and open doors for them. My favorite tip that was mentioned in the article was “State your intent upfront”. People who are in positions of power or just people who can direct you to who you need to be introduced to accomplish your goals are typically busy. That is why it is important to not waste any time in stating what you want out of the connection. It is also imperative that you show why you out of all candidates deserve to be mentored or helped by someone in a position to do so. You have to give people a reason to feel like they want to help you. Information to success is not just given out, you have to work for it and show why you deserve it. I would also like to note that while connections are important one should not lose themselves or their morale or ethics in the process. What do I mean by this? Sometimes people pretend to be something they are not in order to receive help or do things that are out of character. Do not let what someone can do for you influence the way you conduct yourself.

43. Selena November 5, 2018 at 4:36 pm #

One of the leading approaches to getting ahead in your career is networking. A few years ago, as an eager freshman in college, I was desperate to get an internship. I wanted to do get any sort of experience that I could, to have some experience under my belt and to add to my resume. I immediately started writing down my network. I wrote down who I knew, who my family knows, and who my friends know. Luckily, I was on the right track. I got an internship as a sophomore through my connections and I was offered another internship for my junior year from my ex-boyfriend’s mom’s, cousin’s husband. I was lucky enough to get some experience interviewing as well with nine interviews that semester. What if I did not have those connections? Could I still be employed after graduation?

The article, 6 Ways to get Ahead When you Don’t Have Connections, provides some excellent solutions for students to get ahead without an expanded network. It is important to connect to the people you actually connect to. It is hard to force a relationship but once you find someone that has the same interests as you, put your energy there. I went to a conference last month that was a big networking event. There are some people you connect really well with and others you do not. We must recognize who we actually connect with and put our energy there. This is where you give out your business card and ask to connect on LinkedIn. Students have to be direct about what they want from the person. Business professionals are busy and do not want to have their time wasted. We must be straight to the point and make them want to talk to us! Discover what is available to you and go for it. If you do not try, there is no chance you will succeed. You can try and fail, but you will learn from the experience. Tell people your story, make them see something in you, and tell them how they can help. The most important thing is to be direct with what you want and voice it. Without voicing what you want, it is unlikely someone will ever suggest it to you randomly.

44. Halli Schwartz November 9, 2018 at 11:44 am #

When I saw the title of this article, I knew that I would love reading it. “6 ways to get ahead when you have no connections” explains basically what the title states. It discusses how you can start to make some professional connections, that you may currently lack. I enjoyed this article, mostly, because it truly applies to me. As a sophomore in college, I feel as if I have made less connections than I should have at this point in my college career. I am somewhat shy of an individual, and have not put myself out there as much as I know I should have. I have a few close friends, which I am very aware is a kind of network, but I feel as if I do not have any real professional connections. In other words, although I have some connections, none of them are strong enough to get me a real, professional position in a company. This scares me, as I know many others who have my level of education, but have made many connections. This article really shone a light on what I can do to get a job, even though I have not built a large network. The article breaks up the certain things that you can do clearly and succinctly. The article states many ways to get ahead, and make these connections, including expend energy in the right places, state your intention upfront, start each approach fresh, capitalize on targeted resources, and nail your story. The two ideas that really stood out to me were start each approach fresh, and nail your story. The article discussed start each approach fresh, and highlighted that each new interaction should be just that, new. Do not let any past dealings influence your current ones. For example, in my personal life, I try not to hold grudges. I take each day as a new opportunity, and forgive very easily. This is quite applicable to the business world. If you have contacted someone who has responded to you rudely, you should not hold this over his or her head. Instead, use the past as a lesson, and regard the present as a new day. If I start each approach fresh, I can make connections that, in one moment seemed impossible because I take each conversation with no regard to past interactions. The idea that seemed the most applicable to my life was the one to nail your story. The article responds to this idea in a very entrepreneurial way, which is quite relevant to myself. I am an entrepreneurial studies major, and it is my dream to open my own business one day. I strive to create a bakery cafe, and this has been my dream since I was a little girl. I went to high school and took extensive culinary classes, and even received coveted culinary certifications, such as my Servsafe certificate. I am so very passionate about the culinary arts, and I love how cooking food for someone will always put a smile on their face. With the article’s advice, if I was to try to connect with someone, saying that I just wanted to open my own business, they may not really want to make a connection with me, or help me out in any way. However, if I told them my whole backstory, they may change their mind. This article really gave me new ideas unto how to put myself out in the business world, and really strengthen my currently lackluster network, and I know I will utilize the advice given from this day forward.

45. Elyse N Cuttic November 9, 2018 at 8:19 pm #

This article is a really good read for jobs seekers and even for the highly experienced workers. I clicked on this article as I knew I would be able to take something useful out of it. While looking at other comments a lot of people are seeing the same thing. Applying for jobs and interviewing can be a daunting task especially if you are doing it without connections. Thoughts of how am I going to beat out someone who was refereed or, “they have more experience than me” start to creep in your head. She gives some good tips on how to stay yourself, make sure your standout, and how to be honest. Reading how Molina Nino grew up without having the same advantages of others really motives anyone who would read this article.
    The biggest thing I can take away from this article is not only learning how to make connections but what little subtle details go along with doing so. A key point I was drawn too is asking people for something upfront. I really never knew it was unprofessional to ask to pick someone’s brain. I didn’t know the language in which you state it can be an indicator for someone if they really have the right intentions. It is important to be upfront with them about what you are asking for so they know the real reason. I thought you could just leave a voicemail to someone telling them to call you back, but she stresses just telling them what you need is a better idea. Another idea I can take from this article is really doing research in a for few main companies or industries so you really can understand what those companies are looking for. She states that using your energy in the right areas and research will help you in the long run.