Are You Ready To Vote?

If you are registered to vote, unsure if you are registered or are registering for the first time, visit the SHU TurboVote site for additional information.

Don’t wait… do it now!

18 Responses to Are You Ready To Vote?

1. Wilnir Louis September 28, 2018 at 3:36 pm #

Voting in these midterms is such a key thing for the citizens of the United States. Every fourth Tuesday of September is National Voter Registration Day, however, it seemed that this year the promotion of National Voter Registration Day seemed to be magnified tenfold. Monday night, I had to stay up to do schoolwork. When I took a break from my work around midnight, I scrolled throughout my Instagram and Snapchat. I saw around three ads during that one break making sure that everybody registered to vote.
    The importance of registration is definitely at an all-time high based on the events that are going on in the United States, like Kavanaugh’ s nomination, marijuana laws, and more pivotal issues. These issues are going to mostly affect citizens the age of 18-25. Ironically, that same age group is the people that have the least amount of voter turnout. The reason that National Voter Registration Day was promoted on sites and outlets like Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook because the biggest group of users are the smallest group of voters. It’s a marketing play that hopefully was successful.
    But just as important as making every who register to vote register, is to make sure that they are all informed too. Social media has a great way of twisting information to appeal to an audience. Usually, this can create some funny things, but everyone needs to be serious when it comes to voting. Informing potential voters of candidates and where they stand on issues could be the difference between a good president and Donald Trump. It also determines who is going to be a part of the Senate. It also could determine people on a local level too if someone feels that his or her mayor sucks.
    Overall, going out and voting is a big thing. People always feel like they do not have a voice and they do not vote because they feel that their vote does not matter. However, if many people feel that way, if they go out and vote, they could all create a difference. As an American citizen, it is our obligation to go out and vote. That’s the only way that we could start to change the US into what the citizens want it to be. As well as voting, we need to make sure that we are informed about what is going on around us.

2. Nicholas Stefanelli September 28, 2018 at 5:01 pm #

To be a citizen of this country we have certain rights and privileges. We also have certain responsibilities to be active in positive change. The right to vote is a fundamental democratic right that is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It is the cornerstone of democracy. Now we all have a responsibility to make the world a better place and we now have the right to do so. We can and should be aware of policies and officials. We should read the news and understand the direction our country is going in. Many important, critical issues are at hand currently. When we vote, we choose the representatives who will make the laws and policies that govern how we live together.
    The legitimacy of a government lies in the fact that it is elected. Low voter turnouts may call into question this democratic legitimacy. When we do not while democracy involves much more than holding elections every five years, voting is a powerful way to send a message to governments and politicians. The more votes, the more powerful the message is. In other words, every vote counts.
    Compared to other forms of political participation, voting does not require a lot of time or effort. In other words, it is one of the easiest ways to have a say in how your society is governed and all it takes it a few minutes out of our day. The old wise saying rings true today, “Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country” by JFK. We need to be a strong country once again….it can happen but each and every one of us must do our part. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution.
    In conclusion, we all need to vote. It is our right to do so but more importantly, it shows how patriotic we are. It also shows that we care about our country and who is responsible for making it better. By not casting a vote, we are saying we do not care what happens and we make our selves look insignificant when really we are very powerful.

3. Warren Vetter September 28, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

Voting in general is one of the greatest rights that American citizens should be proud of. Not every country lets men and women both vote for their government officials. The United States is doing a great job of making sure people are registering to vote if they are at the age and a US citizen. Seton Hall University is helping students who aren’t registered to register. They have introduced SHU Turbo Vote which helps students find their polling location and notifies students when elections are coming up. To continue, popular social media apps are also helping people register to vote. When I scroll through social media apps such as Instagram and Snapchat I get adds that remind me of upcoming elections and they are always asking if I am registered. It is very important for us as young adults to start to vote for what direction we believe is best for the country. We play a major roll in elections and I believe everyone should vote and be educated about people that are running for government positions. To continue, we should also make an educated decision when we vote and not just pick the person because your friends picked them. If this continues to happen we will be stuck with people like our current president running the country. Voting is a huge right that fellow Americans have fought for to make sure that both men and women get the right to vote. Just picking a person based on other people’s opinion can hurt the country in the future. Make a decision based on what you believe is right for the country and what you believe in personally. To continue, to help students who are getting ready to vote for the first time there should be an education class that teaches them about both parties and what each party believes in. Obviously they wouldn’t be forced to pick a side, but it would be a great thing to have young voters get educated about the parties. This will help young voters make better educated decisions when voting. Finally, voting should be treated correctly and people should not brush it off and let other people’s decisions decide who run this country. A lot of people in other countries would love to have the right of voting and we should be honored as Americans to have this right.

4. Asad Ullah September 28, 2018 at 5:55 pm #

I believe that everyone who is able to vote should make sure they are registered and eligible to vote. As citizens of the United States we have the right to vote once we are 18 years old. In the United States it is a big privilege that both men and woman have a say and are allowed to vote. You really don’t see that in many countries. I feel like everyone should have a vote and say in who they want the next elected person to be. For example when the presidential elections come around every four years, everyone should go out and vote because I feel like everyone should express and choose who they want to run this country. I think everyone should partake in all elections and should have somewhat knowledge of who is running. The people who are running are usually trying to do better for us the people and the world. Seton Hall University does a great job of promoting voters registration. They are trying to make sure everyone that is eligible to vote is signed up and registered. Last week when I was walking to the cafeteria, I was approached by one of the students who was running the registration booth and she was making sure I was registered to vote. Also the university has a website where students can go online to register. Also voting just doesn’t consist of just voting for who the president of the country will be. You are able to vote for your town mayor and other town related seats. One you are eligible, you have the right to vote for anything. Believe it or not usually for town elections, every vote makes a difference. I encourage everyone who is 18 to go register to go vote. Your vote can matter in many ways. We want the guys elected who are going to be beneficial to us and our country, state and towns. If everyone goes outs and votes, many things can be favored in our way. Also we all can make a change by voting. I registered just in time to be able to vote for the presidential election. Going out and voting only take 5 minutes at most out of your day and then you are able to go do whatever you want. So please make sure you get out and vote as much as possible.

5. John Skalski September 28, 2018 at 6:23 pm #

Voting in elections is very important and is something that everyone should not only do, but also want to do. Anybody that is at least 18 years old is allowed to vote and have their voice heard when it comes to elections. Does not matter if the election is for the local mayor of your town, or for the President of the United States, because it is very important to make sure that your opinion is heard. When I talk with friends that are not registered to vote I hear a lot of them say that it is because one vote will not make a difference in the outcome of whatever the election is. After they tell me this I always respond back by saying imagine if 90% of the people that do vote had that kind of logic, then only 10% of people will get to decide who they want in office. Another common theme that comes up with nonvoters is that they only vote for the president and not the other elections that happen all around them. I will personally admit that I have fallen into this trap, but I defiantly plan on making sure that I get out and vote a lot more. As a college student I believe that I really need to make sure my vote happens because as I get older I want the right people running in the offices.
    Since I am a college student, I pay a significant amount of money for school and every little bit helps toward me making sure that I can receive an education. When I vote, I want to make sure that I am voting for someone that will support college kids and try everything in their power to lower debt and make paying for college a lot easier for us. If I stay home and do not vote then there is a chance that someone could get office and not make any changes to how debt is currently being handled. I am doing my part in helping to solve the college debt issue by simply just going out and placing a vote. Nobody gets elected into office without getting voted in, so it is the people that get to decide who it is. When people do not vote then voices do not get heard, but when people vote voices get heard and changes might actually begin to happen. Imagine if everyone that could vote actually did vote. We would then have even more legit elections because everyone’s voice would be heard. A lot of people complain when someone they do not like gets elected, and sometimes it comes from the same people that will not vote. In the end, all I am trying to say is to make sure that you get out there and vote because every single vote actually does matter.

6. Robert Musantry September 28, 2018 at 7:50 pm #

Personally, I believe that voting is one of the most important parts of being American. Being able to elect officials and vote on pertinent issues represents our freedom to choose the way we want to live our lives. To put it simply, that sort of freedom and ability to choose is not available everywhere and to everyone. I have been giving this right just by being born here, and I feel this sort of advantage should not be wasted. This election will be the first I get to actually participate in, although I have followed the major elections in the past. In 2016, I turned 18 in the beginning of December, so I just missed the last presidential election. I was all excited in studying the candidates and everything in the years prior, until I realized that I could not even vote. Then, in 2017, when I was actually old enough to vote, I forgot to register. After being so involved in researching candidates and wanting to vote, I guess I just lost interest. I blame it on being in my senior year of high school and preparing for and them starting college. Anyway, regardless of how I got here, I am registered to vote back home in Pennsylvania. I am going to vote in this election, and I am working on making sure I can get my vote heard, whether by mail in vote or actually going to the polls at the fire department in my hometown.
    Something that I have noticed this year is just how much my generation wants people to get involved in using their voting rights. I have been approached multiple times on campus by fellow students asking if I am registered. This was not something I expected, I thought voting was just something people either did or did not do. But everywhere I look, someone wants me to vote. For example, on our PirateNet accounts, there is a new app added this year called TurboVote. This helps students who are not register to register, or if they are registered they help set up mail in votes for people who live too far away from home to vote. Basically, anything a student needs to be able to vote in November is contained in the PirateNet account we use on a daily basis.
    Based on what I can tell, this movement comes from the idea that our current politicians are not appropriately represent the values of my generation, and we have a way to fix that: vote them out. It is cool to feel like I can help change the course of not only American history, but the history of the world.

7. Jonathan Rodrigues September 28, 2018 at 9:14 pm #

I don’t like associating myself with either political tribe, I think its a dangerous political environment we’ve selected for through our media where people have to choose one palate of similar-sounding, uniform social and policy views over another and be expected to side with that tribe for their whole voting lives
    But what overrides my instinct to want to associate with one of these groups, to belong politically, is the most pressing issue of our time.
    Before we deal with anything else, we need to address climate change. It is the overriding issue of our time, the one that we will be judged for posthumously.
    Since this issue requires immediate attention, I never get passed it, I look for the candidate who has the more developed, practical response to the problem and vote accordingly.

8. Tyler s September 28, 2018 at 10:58 pm #

Voting is one of the god given rights of being an American. It is important to go out and exercise your right to vote and make a difference in the country. Voting in swings states makes such a big difference in the election which makes registering for voting even more essential. States like California and Florida are determined red or blue by small margins of votes, making every vote count. Election Day in New Jersey this year is November 6th, with deadlines ending on October 16th making it crucial to register. People take for granted the life they live in America and the rights and freedom that are given to every citizen. The people choose who runs the government instead of having tyrannical rulers like some of the world have. We are at a crucial time in our country and every vote counts. It is also good to vote in your local community. Local officials get elected in small towns that can benefit the community. The outlook of the country is in our hands and it is our god given right to go out and vote to make the country a better place.

9. Shaunak Rajurkar October 3, 2018 at 3:05 pm #

Voting is not only the right of citizens – it is their duty. When asked about big issues in the political realm, I hear many people repeatedly say that they “are not [political people]” or that they “don’t keep up with politics.” I find this unacceptable and unbelievable. To say that you are not a political person is to say that you have had the privilege of not having your existence politicized for you by “the system.” Under our government and in our society, it is inevitable that every individual is politicized. This is especially true under our current administration, where seemingly every type of minority has been further marginalized, whether it be racial, socioeconomic, religious, or gender-based.

As citizens of the United States, we have to take it upon ourselves to ensure that we go out of our way to ensure that our society moves toward egalitarianism. We shouldn’t be taking steps backward.

Self efficacy and political involvement is at an all time high among Generation Z and Millennials, likely as a result of the ever strengthening resistance movement against the current administration. Unfortunately, the two party system in the United States has forced people to categorize themselves as a part of extremely polarizing groups. The momentum and gravity of these groups seem to discourage moderate opinions and centrists, and the opinions of major “news” outlets do not help this issue. For the few who want to take the issues one by one, options are very limited in terms of representatives that they can elect. These individuals are powerless.

The greatest issue that leaves voters stuck is the following: we are exposed to a very limited amount of relevant issues. Congress will choose to introduce bills on issues that THEY deem relevant, thus the average voter will be left blind on issues that are lost amidst the noise. Noam Chomsky said “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” Our system has evolved to keep the public blind due to the unspoken limits in our “spectrum of opinion.”

It is our duty to vote using the small amount of power that we do have.

10. Douglas Tkac October 5, 2018 at 6:32 pm #

Voting is one of the best freedoms that we have when it comes to the United States, and it’s a shame that unfortunately it seems like people forget that they can take advantage of it and vote for who they want. Even though programs are put into place to help encourage more and more young adults to vote (such as SHU TurboVote and a new software through Snapchat that allows you to register and vote), a lot of people still seem to wonder why a lot of younger adults aren’t voting.

One of the reasons of this could be because United States citizens have to go through a registering process to vote. The U.S is a minority in being one of the few countries that require citizens to register on their own to vote, where as some countries (like Germany and Canada) automatically register you to vote. For some people out there, voting could be a burden on them and could be considered unsatisfactory to them, as they can be doing plenty of other things instead of going through the hurdles and hassles of registering (I know from experience, because that is how I felt about it until this year). Many programs like SHU TurboVote are programmed to make it much easier, but we still have to wait and see to view the results of these programs to see how successful they turn out to be.

Another potential reason could be the fact that we might need more options besides the two parties. Even though it was not a state or local election, the Presidential Election of 2016 featured three main candidates (being Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, and Hilary Clinton). It seemed like a majority of the people that I talked to (including family, peers, fellow classmates and friends) that they hated one or multiple candidates. The problem could also very well be due to the fact that no candidates, regardless of the election at hand, may encapsulate their political ideas and agendas correctly, leading a lot of people to just hold out as they see no great candidate that jumps out from the rest.

Regardless, It is so very important to vote. Personally, I don’t care how long it takes or what I have to go through. Voting is a very important right in this country, and if we want to steer this country the right way, all of us better do our part and vote for the candidates that we think are the best for the future. Otherwise, we might be up a creek with no paddle.

11. Monique Edward October 5, 2018 at 6:57 pm #

74 percent of seniors said they are certain that they are voting in the 2018 midterm elections, but only 28 percent of millennials are planning to vote (Sabes). The younger generations of voters only think the presidential election is important, but for specific issues, a millennial’s vote counts even more during the midterms. Congress is made up of people who have different stances on environment policies, student loan policies, infrastructure spending, and immigration. Therefore, as voters, we have the chance to make a change on various political issues. Another essential thing to keep in mind is if the Democrats take over the Senate after the midterms, the Senate will put in a democratic justice instead of Kavanaugh if he is not confirmed. Hence, the midterm elections are equally as important as the presidential elections because it can decide the direction of the country.

From the low percent of millennial planning to participate in the elections this year, the above statistic is unfortunate because seniors are voting on issues that have little to no effect on them. For example, climate change is a crucial issue for millennials and their future children, but older adults will not be around to suffer any consequences. Also, gun policies may affect the amount of school shooting, but the elderly may be more concerned about owning a gun, so older adults are not targets for robberies. Therefore, young people should not rely on the older generation to make decisions for the country because ages 60 and above will most likely vote for policies that will benefit them.

Sabes, Adam. “Majority of young people not planning on voting in midterm elections, says survey.” The Washington Times, 22 July 2018, https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/22/majority-of-young-people-not-planning-on-voting-in/

12. Amanda Nitting October 5, 2018 at 7:56 pm #

A right that a good amount of citizens take for granted is the right to vote. This is due to most of them lacking the understanding and importance that lies behind this ability. Being that the United States is known as a democratic republic that means some activity is done by a direct democratic process and other ones are made by democratically elected representatives. For example, during a presidential election, citizens vote at their local polling place and then based on those votes a representative of the Electoral College will place the electoral votes based on how the state voted. The presidential nominee that gets the majority of electoral votes will become the President of the United States. However, some people decide not to go to the polls to vote because they think his/her vote will not count. Since, in recent elections, there have been instances where the President of the United States does not win the popular vote but ends up becoming president due to the Electoral College. When this has happened throughout history, it has always sparked debate as to whether or not this system has become outdated and either needs to be reformed or abolished. Either way, voting is something that needs to be taken seriously because if not then there cannot be complaints when it comes to who gets placed in office or other positions. A common saying is that even if one does not vote, technically they are then voting for the one that wins. This is because since they chose not to vote, they were not able to go against the person that won the votes.
    Seton Hall University has a site called SHU Turbo which enables students to register to vote and stay up to date on when elections are occurring. This is very smart and useful to get involved in because this generation should get more into learning about elections. It is crucial to learn about the people that are running for not only the president but also local elections. One of the stand out aspects of being an American citizen is our ability to have a say in who is representing the country so the wants of the American people can be met. If citizens become complacent and decide to not take the time to research, educate themselves, and vote it is a real shame of their part.
    Voting should also be taken very seriously because, at a point in history, not everyone was given this right. For instance, the Fifteenth and Nineteenth amendment are pivotal because the fifteenth amendment states that it “prohibits the federal government and every state from denying a citizen the right to vote based on that citizen’s ‘race, color, or previous condition of servitude’” With that being said, women were also unable to vote until 1920 when the Nineteenth amendment was put in place. That was only ninety-eight years ago, which might sound like a lot, but if you think about the history of our country it was not that long ago. It is our civic duty and right as an American citizen to participate in all elections so the American citizen’s voice can be heard. When I first turned eighteen I made sure to register to vote because I wanted to be able to get involved in being an active citizen and have my vote count. Overall, voting should not be pushed to the back burner and everyone should take the time to get out and vote with the understanding of the significance behind it.

13. Matthew Brown October 7, 2018 at 7:28 pm #

Voting is a right that many men and women have fought and died for throughout the history of the United States. Still today there are countries where it is increasingly difficult or even impossible to vote. Every year, around this time of year, the ads start popping up advertising ways to register and encouraging people to register and get out to vote. It is the one of greatest ways citizens can use their collective voices to make a change. The key word there is collective. Unfortunately, with over 300 million Americans, on a per-person basis, their personal vote does not matter. A single Republican vote in a very Democrat county won’t matter because the county will end up blue anyway. Especially in terms of the electoral college and the presidential election, the popular vote is not taken into account anyway, so the individual vote matters even less. However for midterms, where there is a more immediate presence, and the people in office make more immediate decisions for their constituents, voting is very important. Overall, it is good practice to vote and support candidates the one actually believes to be a good candidate. Choosing the “lesser of two evils” is a poor way to exercise the right to vote. It does not express the voter’s true beliefs in the candidate. Voting is the one way we as a people can change the make up of our country’s political realm, and it is time we choose to exercise that right.

14. Hannah Roselli October 18, 2018 at 4:09 pm #

As a United States citizen, we have rights and privileges, and some of those rights allow us to make decisions for the country, and decisions for individual states. One of those privileges that allow us to make decisions for the country is voting. If I am going to be honest, I am not huge on politics and I do not follow politics too much, however after reading the different comments on this post, and playing around on the website and learning more information about voting I learned how important and beneficial voting really is. Not only for the country, but it is also for myself. I was never one who wanted to vote, or someone who wanted to follow politics, but as I grow and get older I learn it is extremely important, and I should be more thankful that I live in a country where I can vote.

After reading some of these comments with regards to voting and seeing how certain people feel about politics and voting it made me feel a lot better to know I was not the only one who really was never interested in politics and voting. Although some of the comments did persuade me to want to learn more about voting, and want to learn more about the country and what is going on in the world itself. Everyone wants to come to the United States for the freedom we have, such as voting and after reading the comments on this post it made me realize that I should be more thankful and grateful that I have the opportunity to vote and the opportunity to help make such important decisions for my country.

15. Hannah Roselli October 18, 2018 at 4:09 pm #

16. Jordan H October 18, 2018 at 5:16 pm #

The right to vote in the United States has been fought over, and people even died for their right to vote. Yet in recent years more young people are not registering or showing up to vote in state and federal elections. When you turn eighteen in this country you are allowed to register to vote and cast a ballot in elections, so why are people not voting? Millenials and other generations complain about the elected officials in this country failing to properly represent their views and interests. The Boomer generation has no problem making time to vote, and as a result they have a much higher presence at the polls.

For those that claim they have no time to vote, there are so many ways to cast your vote other than going to an actual polling station and casting your vote in person. For example you can sign up for mail in ballots, which allow you fill out your ballot and send it in through the mail. There is absolutely no reason for someone to not vote, and yet every year millions of Americans fail to vote in elections. Registering to vote is encouraged everywhere and volunteers spend their free time on college campuses and other public forums trying to get people to register to vote. If you haven’t already you should register to vote and mark your calendar for important elections coming up.

What baffles me the most is when people don’t vote, but then voice their political opinions on social media. Voting is not about being a Democrat or Republican, it is your opportunity to help elect someone you believe best represents you. I have voted in every election since I turned eighteen and I can honestly say that it feels good to cast my vote, knowing my vote counted towards something bigger than myself. Whether it is a local municipal election or the 2020 Presidential election, every single citizen should take it upon themselves to do their civic duty and vote. You can’t skip jury duty just because you don’t feel like going, so don’t skip out on the opportunity to vote. I know that I will be voting this November in the primary elections, will you?

17. Abhimanyu Sood October 19, 2018 at 9:48 pm #

Voting is a weighty responsibility, but as the saying goes, “many hands make light work”. Dictatorships never have voting because there are so few people who allowed to vote that the effort would hospitalize them. Democracies deal with this responsibility by having everyone vote so no one will be hurt. Everyone focuses on the presidential and Congressional elections, but the state legislature/other local executives are just as important. Often, a local/state position like Governor or District Attorney (recent example: DA Larry Krasner in Philly and police/prison reform) can make a more immediate concrete impact within their region, because they don’t have to go through all the bullshit red tape and other delays at the national level. States have a lot of power- many people make the mistake thinking that the President is the be-all and end-all; the truth is, President himself cannot do as much compared to the other divisions of government. The overall idea is that all people of a certain age get to vote to ensure no one is disenfranchised. If a large segment of the population are excluded (handicapped or impaired for example), it’s possible that their needs will be over looked. Lack of education was used in The Jim Crow South to ensure certain people couldn’t vote.