4 Things To Look For In A Mentor

from Forbes

Mentors can help you in many ways in your career. They can help you gain confidence, develop skills in a new job, and even help you get promoted. Many women credit having a mentor as a key to their success.

What should you look for when choosing a mentor?

71 Responses to 4 Things To Look For In A Mentor

1. Douglas Tkac November 16, 2018 at 8:16 pm #

Nowadays, it is more important than ever to have (or to at the very least, think about) a mentor guide you through your struggles that you might have. A lot of people can be picky with their mentors, but for good reason and this article breaks down how picky you might have to be if you want to seek a mentor that suits you well and can help you grow.

I think something that this article mentions that needs more emphasis involves the element of contrast between you and your mentor. As the article states, this doesn’t mean necessarily that you got to pick someone polar opposite, but don’t pick a clone of yourself (Prossack). I think this is very important for this up-and-coming generation. The reason I say this is because I feel that nowadays people surround themselves with other people who constantly push them up and ignore any type of miscues or mistakes, which is leading to our generation essentially being babied. With a sense of contrast, people (or in this case, a mentor) can explain to you what could be wrong or what needs improvement for your sake, instead of blindly gassing you up and pretending to be your BFF.

Another aspect that the article explains is trust, which is also something that needs a little more emphasis these days. There is a barrier of awkwardness between mentor and mentee (as there should be), but it shouldn’t last for so long. There should come a point where both can break out of their shells and trust each other by being completely honest and letting the mentor or mentee know exactly what they might be thinking. If it’s a certain idea that someone might be scared to blurt out because you might sound like an ignoramus? Go ahead, blurt it out. What’s the worst that can happen. The same can go towards the mentor, don’t like something you see/hear? Give positive and negative feedback on it as honest as you can be.

I feel like this article, albeit older, should be sent to a lot of people that I know. This generation needs a little bit of a wake up call if we’re going to start changing the world for the better, and it all starts with just simple communication.

2. Kayla Clavijo February 1, 2019 at 2:58 pm #

Upon reading the Forbes article, the author mentions 4 aspects: compatibility, contrast, expertise and trust as the ones that could help determine how to wisely choose a mentor. To begin with, whatever it is that you want to accomplish in life, in a job or a learning environment, a mentor is going to kick start you on the path to achieve it. When you have a mentor, you are learning from someone who has already arrived at where you want to be. They know exactly what it takes to get there and what sacrifices need to be made. When seeking for a mentor, there needs to be a certain degree of compatibility between the mentor and mentee in order for mentoring to be successful. A mentor and mentee must be able to enjoy each other’s company, and that is with each other’s willingness. Your mentor must be willing to take on the mentoring role, willing to grow together and must be entirely committed. Your mentor has to be approachable at all times and as a mentee, you have to be willing to take advice and criticism and put forth an effort. They should also be willing to put you outside of your comfort zone, therefore as the article states “this person should be a bit outside your comfort zone as well.” In other words, your mentor should be someone who offers encouragement and assistance, the age difference and gender should not matter. As in the article, it is the knowledge you get out of the relationship that should matter. Overall, as a mentee understand that a mentor isn’t in your life to judge you but in your life to give you a helping hand and guide you to the right path.

In my view, I consider trust to be the most important thing to look for in a mentor because that is someone you are turning to, too help you find the solutions to your issues. But, as the article explains, trust goes both ways and you must prove that you respect your mentor. I agree because a good mentor-mentee relationship is built on trust. For this reason, it is important to not take their help for granted and explain exactly what you need from them. From experience, a mentor provides attention, help, advice, information, and encouragement that you will need in a professional life and in your general life. My real mentor of my life is my beloved Mother. My mother has always helped me in every phase of life. I have achieved so much in life and became the person I am today due to my mother’s guidance and support throughout life. She is the only one who can feel inside me and willing to help me in any possible way that I need. A mentor is a good listener, observer, and problem-solver and that is exactly what my mother is. She is someone I can trust when I am trying to find the solutions to issues I face in life. As a mentor, she touches on the lessons she learned when she was in the same positions I was in. She also empowers me to develop my own strengths, beliefs, and personal attributes. Overall, I think that everyone should have a mentor, someone who is who helping you in making decisions, overcome difficult situations and guide you towards the right path. Use this opportunity to make the most of it, to have confidence in yourself and to reach your potential goals!

3. Daibelis Acevedo February 1, 2019 at 6:19 pm #

This Forbes article by Ashira Prossack gave me some guidance and signs that I have been needing. In general, finding the perfect mentor is really tricky because sometimes it’s hard to find someone compatible. Finding the right mentor is extremely important because it is someone who will be guiding you in very critical times of life. I think that a mentor is meant to help and guide you in making decisions and maybe show you alternatives. As a student who is undecided, I have had a lot of trouble when it comes to course decisions and what classes I should be taken. I can say that my mentor was not the best and we were not really as compatible as I hoped we would be. He was very nice and respectful, but I don’t think he knew how to handle or help someone who is as undecided as I am, and that’s okay because not every mentor will know how to deal with every type of person. As I was reading this article I really took interest in the part explaining that it is okay to find another mentor or seek help from someone else. It is important to get the help that one needs, especially regarding academics.
    Having trust in your mentor is a huge deal because they are guiding you with every decision you need to make in life. I really enjoyed this article because it stressed the importance of having that trustful bond with your mentor. Without trust there is no way that the mentor will be able to help the person because there will not be that foundation of being open with each other and that is a huge part of the whole relationship. Another part of this article that really caught my attention is the “Contrast” section. I think a lot of people do not talk to certain people because of the differences that they might have. For example, a twenty-two-year-old women by not feel comfortable having a seventeen-year old girl as her mentor. I think that is wrong only because age is really just a number. This seventeen-year old girl may have a lot of motivation inside of her to help others and guide others into making good decisions and could possibly inspire the twenty-two-year-old. I think it is all about compatibility and who you can learn the most from.
    Having a mentor is really helpful for everyone and I strongly believe that everyone should seek a mentor at least once in their life, for guidance, education, and help in different aspects of life.

4. Andrew Kenny February 1, 2019 at 8:32 pm #

Having a mentor in today’s professional world is extremely important. With the ever changing job market and the evolution of technology, having someone to guide the way is reassuring. I agree with the statement about not having a mentor exactly like you is key. If someone thinks and acts exactly like you, you will never be able to open new doors and explore other schools of thought. Being diverse and having multiple perspectives allows people to be able to delegate, problem solve, and respect others. Being able to trust your mentor is almost like having an older sibling. I’m the oldest of four boys in my family and I attempt to be a solid role model for my brothers. I imagine in the workforce it is similar where a mentor takes in a new employee and attempts to get the best out of them. Being able to take advice and realizing there is always room for improvement is what makes a good worker. Getting pushed out of your comfort zone and expanding the way you approach different situations is paramount in the business world. I look forward to having someone in the professional world grooming me into a better version of myself and leading me to pursue my high goals.
    I had a mentor in my internship this past summer who was extremely helpful in showing me the ropes of the functions of golf tournament management. He was only a few years older than me, and coincidentally we shared the same first name, but we were very different. He knew I was a bit timid coming in to a new pressure environment, but knew that I was willing to put in hard work and grow as an employee. We would just converse about the job and he would tell me about his experiences when he was in my shoes as an intern in the same company. In fact, he was one of the main reasons I still would like to work in the golf industry. I trusted his intellect, and he respected my willingness to learn. Through his leadership, I was able to gain confidence and eventually begin to run major parts of the tournaments by myself. I attribute my growth and initiative to a lot of his teachings. I would be lucky to have someone like him when I enter the real world.

5. Rayzan Alarashi February 1, 2019 at 9:21 pm #

Prior to reading 4 Things To Look for In A Mentor by Ashira Prossack, I knew only of the importance that having a mentor can play in one’s success. Evidently, it is very clear to anyone who is just beginning their journey in college or the job force that having a mentor is extremely crucial, and if not the most important factor in one’s success. Not many are able to be put into a new environment and seemingly figure out everything they need to know on their own. This is where having a mentor comes into play. For example, if someone is very close to graduating college and earning their bachelor’s degree, they will likely have a mentor who pursued a similar career path or has been in their shoes at one point in time. A mentor is essentially someone who has experienced the same journey as yours and is very knowledgeable and experienced in that field, and willing to share that knowledge with you. Mentors will be able to help guide you in the right direction and even help you through the rough patches you may face. Finding the right mentor though is no easy task, but the things to look for in a mentor as noted by Ashira Prossack can make that process slightly less difficult. The main thing I would emphasize about when looking for a mentor is finding someone who has the right expertise and is also trustworthy. This is very crucial because you never want to have a mentor who is not experienced since that can have the possibility of leading you down the wrong path. Your mentor should be very knowledgeable on the journey you are going through so that they can direct you accordingly. Trust is also very important to have between your mentor because without trust you will not have the confidence to approach that person and tell them the things that may be going wrong. I am also currently in the process of finding a mentor for myself and reading this article has helped me take note of what I should be looking for. I can truthfully say that upon reading this article I feel much more confident about finding the right mentor for me.

6. DawnJ February 9, 2019 at 9:29 pm #

I have always loved the idea of a mentor but never had the opportunity to have one. A few years back at a company I worked for, having a mentor was encouraged and there was an entire process in HR dedicated to it. At the time, I was not in college and had no degree, so climbing the corporate ladder and having a mentor seemed impractical.

Over the years I have met a small number of people who I thought would bring out the best in me, challenge me, and whom I admired for their integrity. As a middle-aged woman who has been in the workforce for more than 20 years, I could certainly mentor someone myself! But as a current student and career changer I would be thrilled to be able to learn from someone who could help make me successful in a new job and give me a new perspective.

I think laying out the criteria I want a mentor to meet is not really practical; as the article states, it seems compatibility and contrast plays an equal role in having a successful mentor/mentee relationship.

Another benefit to having a mentor is establishing a professional relationship with someone who not only mentors you, but who can be a solid source for others who might be interested in promoting you or for other professional endeavors. Wouldn’t it be nice to learn from someone and be recommended or referred by them!

7. Aidan Nathaniel Clee February 10, 2019 at 5:57 pm #

I think that having a mentor is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself as a person and not only does it help grow you into a new and better person but in turn you help your mentor learn a lot too. Finding someone that is compatible with you as a person is important so that you can really generate chemistry and get to know each other so when talking about experiences you can be guided in the right direction with your skills and thoughts in mind. Compatibility is a key part and in my personal experience I have had a mentor and I felt that it wasn’t a great experience only because me and my mentor weren’t really compatible and my mentor wasn’t really there to help me improve as a person but instead was there because they were required to be there for me and raise me up to meet a few certain requirement and when those requirements were fulfilled he just didn’t help much any longer. I know others who have mentors that have helped them through tough life times in work plenty and this has helped them become a better person and adapt to the challenges. When the compatibility factor is met that’s when the trust aspect the article talks about comes in. Without the compatibility the trust with the other person cant really be made because openness and honesty come with knowing the other person is like you. Trust and being open with the mentor is the best because if they know how you think they can adjust how they work with you around the way you think. They can guide you in better ways so that you can make better life decisions through your thoughts. Contrast is good for the relationship as the article states because everyone needs to be able to have a broad perspective on life. Knowing the way other people are brought up is important to understanding and relating to them. It may be uncomfortable at first for someone for instance to be younger but if they are then you have a new outlook on life where you can relate to the understanding of those brought up in the current times who might just know a little more about new life things then you. That knowledge doesn’t come without expertise of course because they cant teach and guide you if they haven’t gone through it themselves or had a very close experience with whatever the issue is.

8. Madyson Y. February 15, 2019 at 1:02 am #

After reading Ashira Prossack’s article on Forbes, I realize how important it is to have a mentor guiding you on your path to success. Prossack describes the four things everyone should look for when choosing a mentor: compatibility, contrast, expertise, and trust. Finding a mentor that you can generate chemistry with will change your experience and outlook on your desired profession. Having too much compatibility in this case has its pros and cons. One pro is that almost ninety-nine percent of the time the two of you will agree on the proper procedures to solving a problem. A con would be that just that; you are exactly like your mentor. What makes you stick out from everybody else? You would not gain any new knowledge or insight within your career. However, having too little compatibility is not entirely terrible. This theory leads into the second thing Prossack believes you should look for within a mentor: contrast.
    I agree with the author when she says your mentor should not be within your comfort zone. Whether they are younger than you or a different gender, be open to any option you are given. Having a mentor that provides a different perspective can help you excel further into your career. I believe this is the best way to learn and grow because if you diversify yourself and obtain other knowledge that you did not know, you will be set apart from the competition. Due to this, it is important to find a balance between chemistry and contrast. Too much or too little of either can cause problems within the relationship with your mentor.
    The next trait you should look for within a mentor is their level of expertise. Usually a person’s definition of expertise includes a person who has been in their field of study the longest or the highest executive in a company. In this case, choosing a person who fits that definition is not what Prossack wants you to do. She tells us instead that, “It’s about finding a mentor with the knowledge and expertise to help you on your journey”. Sure, the credentials of a long running, top company executive look great on paper, but what would be the benefit if they cannot teach you anything? Look for someone who has experienced it all, the good and bad, within your chosen field. That person will be the real teacher because they have been through the challenging times and know how to solve a problem, rather than pushing it off to the next guy down the line. The challenges they once faced could potentially be challenges you are currently experiencing. Because of this, it is important to trust your mentor in these trying times.
    Trust is the last factor Prossack states about mentors in her article. It is important to have someone to confide in and be able to tell things too on a professional level. However, both yourself and the mentor have to be able to trust each other in order to establish a real relationship and move forward in learning.

9. Domenico Cirielli February 15, 2019 at 1:13 pm #

One of the greatest perks of being part of the Business Leadership Program is having access to such a wide range of individuals to help you succeed on your career path. Ranging from the director of the Program, Michael Reuter, to personally selected leadership coaches within the Buccino Leadership Institute, it seems as though I have so many resources at my disposal. However, at times, I do think that I take these resources, especially mentoring, for granted – I feel as though this article helped me realize that. It helped me realize how influential a coach or a mentor can really be in one’s life.

The biggest eye-opening experiences for me through mentoring so far has been my taking of an emotional intelligence test. The results were shocking at first, until I had a discussion with my leadership coach – and this is where I really see the values of expertise and trust, as mentioned in the article, come into play. Not only was I able to trust my mentor enough to explain to her my feelings without judgement, but also I was able to see the immense expertise she possessed, in terms of helping me better understand myself, my test results, and what I need to do moving forward to be an effective leader.

I’m not going to lie, I was hesitant at first about really getting down into who I really am. I was scared, as most people are when they find out things about themselves that are not pleasing or that they were not aware of. But through mentoring I have come to the conclusion that it is absolutely necessary to face who you are – to yourself and to those around you.

When I think of leadership, I think of an individual who understands themselves so well that they no longer have to worry about their own journey but rather can focus on helping better those around them succeed in their respective lives. Aspiring to be a leader hopefully in the finance field one day, I feel it necessary to come to an understanding of myself, and the way to come to such a concise understanding is through the process of mentoring.

The two other values that the Forbes article mentions as something you should look for in a coach are: compatibility and contrast. I believe that not only are these traits that one should seek out in a mentor but also seek out in their professional lives as well. I would like to hope that one day we would all want to be in a leadership position, and with that comes the responsibility of others. In instances like that, it is necessary to be compatible with individuals in order to let them know that you understand where they are coming from and what warrants their actions and thoughts. But at the same time, it is equally as important to not always agree with them 100% of the time because that is how character is built. It is not built when we are afraid to disagree, but rather when we embrace differences in ideas and in thoughts. As a leader, one should want to be challenged, to be pushed outside of one’s comfort zone, and most importantly to fail. If we act, think, and converse the same way throughout our entire lives, we will never find ourselves in a position to advance professionally.

Overall, I just wanted to reinforce the fact that I agree with the article in the sense that having mentoring as early on as possible in life really helps one chances of success as a leader in the future. A mentor can help you better understand yourself and how your presence affects others – and to me, that is the simple most important thing to be aware of as a leader. If one can learn to master this awareness, success will not only be achieved in one’s personal life, but also in his or her professional life as well.

10. Claudia Ralph March 7, 2019 at 9:27 pm #

Incompetence is scary. Not only is it scary because of its negative connotation. Incompetence is seen as a failure, as a vulnerability. Incompetence is falling short of expectations. “Difficult in the sense that we’ll feel incompetent,” is a statement that outlines the idea that as humans, we shy away from a challenge or new experience simply because it is something that may not be good at or seen up to par when we do it.
    To us, learning is seen as child’s play. Once we leave school, learning no longer holds the scent of fresh new notebooks or sitting down for class during syllabus week. Learning looks different to grown-ups and that is part of what makes is so uncomfortable for us all to face.
    The word “different” became the focal point of the end of the article. As we grow older, a lot of things become different, including how we deal with failure. Mistakes are no longer opportunities to learn, instead a series of failures are cumbersome events that make for learning a new task or completing a new assignment begrudging at best. This failure or incompetency may disrupt our normal course of mundane tasks that we may take part in every day.
    How do we, as college students that are making the transition into young adults, cope with the concept that learning will not always be the delightful task it may have once been? The answer is not simple, but it is all about perspective. One may only think that they are incompetent as a reflection of other events that have taken place. Instead, take the opportunity to see a failure as a potential growth situation. Perspective changes everything. Failures shake up our regular routine and have greater implications than what is meeting the eye. Incompetence gives us all an opportunity to learn, look at my first TID as an example of this idea at work. After submitting it, I realized that I looked wildly incompetent. My initial reaction was not to be bogged down by this though, it was to use this failure in order to fuel future success.

11. Claudia Ralph March 7, 2019 at 9:28 pm #

At the tender and ripe age of 20, guidance is something that I look for every step of the way. I try to soak up advice from professionals like a sponge, and always look for questions to ask to find out if I have a good connection with these people that could be potential mentors.
    Of the four things to look for in a mentor, the one that I found most important was “compatibility.” There are numerous ways that compatibility can be represented in a relationship between a mentor and mentee. I know for myself, I find it very important to have a mentor who is a successful female, as I believe women and men can have drastically different experience in office settings and that they can specifically give insight on how to navigate these experiences. Another thing that I find important when looking for a mentor is having a similar personality. I really am looking for someone that I could see myself being like in X amount of years, because I want this person to be a positive influence on my career.
    Contrast is also important as well. I had a mentor who was the head of External Auditing at Verizon for a while. I am going to be frank, I hate accounting. While we didn’t talk balance sheets and income statements, I was looking for a similar career path in terms of getting my MBA right out of school and then entering the workforce. She gave me great insight into fields that I would not have been able to see with a mentor that would have been more closely aligned with what I wanted to do.
    Overall for me though, I am looking for someone who I want to be like when I enter the workforce after college. Like the article emphasized, you don’t always need the CEO, just someone that is going to help you on your journey. Sometimes you find that the most unlikely people that you will have such a positive relationship and that goes without telling it could be your mentor. A mentor is vital for shaping a young professional in the workplace and I feel that it is important for everyone to have one.

12. Deep Patel March 8, 2019 at 12:54 am #

Everyone always hears the word mentor in their lifetimes, but in there personal or professional life, I do not see people looking for or using mentors to their advantage. Whatever a human might want to do in their life a mentor will help you start your path to achieve that goal. A mentor is like an experienced or trusted advisor that will help you with anything that you may need help in. When you have a mentor, you are gaining knowledge from someone who has already been in your shoes and will help you get to where you want to be. They know what it takes to be in the position they are in currently. There is a difference between good mentors and great mentors. Great mentors provide intangible resources and important tools that are available through their experiences and vantage point. Great mentors will show interest in your success. They will be focused on helping you be the best person you can be. Mentors will help a person gain confidence, develop skills in a new job, and help you get into a higher position. There are different options to look for the right mentor.
    As stated in the article, compatibility is important in looking for a mentor. A person must be comfortable with talking to that person and not be afraid to say something when they need help. For me, it takes time for me to adjust to meet new people so when I am looking for a mentor I have to make sure that I can be comfortable in asking them questions or going to them when I need assistance with a task or job. Another one of the four things to look for a mentor that I thought was important was trust. Looking for a mentor you want someone that you can turn to without any hesitations and someone you can go to solve issues. It is important to take things slow and there must be an establishment of a few ground rules to avoid any conflict with that mentor. It is always good to get to know your mentor on a personal level to not only build the trust with the mentor but making sure the mentor trusts you. Once, a solid trust level is established, it will be easy to move forward from that. My current mentor would be my dad. My father has always helped me get through the tough times in life and celebrated the good times. From my dad, I gained helpful advice, important information, and he led me a pathway on how to live life the right way. I would not be where I am without the guidance of my father. I feel like I can talk to him about anything and he will always give me his best answer. A mentor is someone who listens to you well, trusts you, and believes in you to be the person you want to be. Everyone, should seek a mentor who will challenge you to improve, is not afraid to ask difficult questions, and will give you honest feedbacks that are both positive and negative. Having a mentor is important as it will help a human in positive ways.

13. Joseph Simone March 8, 2019 at 10:58 am #

Playing a sport especially baseball which is one of the only sports in the world where you fail more than you succeed and are still considered to be successful. I believe it is crucial to have a mentor that has gone through what you are currently experiencing. Whether it be being in a slump, not getting that starting job you worked so hard for things along these lines. Unfortunately I didn’t have a mentor that could relate to whatever it was I was going through at that time. However I did have my father, my dad can’t hit a baseball to save his life. But when I told him I wanted to play Division 1 baseball it was full tilt from there. My dad began to research the best hitting coaches in the area read dozens of books on hitting mechanics, and the mental side of baseball. To help him better understand the game and what it took to be a D-1 ball player. Although he couldn’t necessarily challenge me physically, that part came when the cleats were thrown on. But he challenged me from a mental side asking me questions, what I thought I did wrong in a particular at bat. Recording every one of my at bats possible to give me instant feedback on what I was doing right or wrong. Leading up to me achieving my goal of playing D-1 college baseball. Now this was a completely different game now I needed serious help if I want to achieve my next goal which is to become a professional baseball player. My dad being the nut he is begins to do research on the best coaches in the country and found a man named Steve Springer who I would consider to be another one of my mentors to this day. Springer played professional baseball and is a mental hitting coach posting videos on what your approach should be and how you should go about playing the game. The funny thing is I never even met him! I would talk to him on the phone whether it be around game time or if I just wanted to talk. Coach Springer has given me multiple tips that my dad no offense to him would ever be able to come up with. He also challenges me to challenge myself to do something specific when playing; I have had this mentor for three years now and since then I was named first team All MAAC played on national television against team USA and was named an all star in one of the top summer leagues in the country. So my question to the readers is, do you have to actually meet your mentor or can you communicate through the phone, and is it possible to have more than one mentor?

14. Tyler Graham March 8, 2019 at 11:13 am #

The article starts off by listing four things that are most critical when searching for a mentor: compatibility, contrast, expertise, trust. Mentorships are crucial to fostering any skill or beginning any new job. They can be instrumental in success and help give you someone to rely on when you’re getting acclimated and figuring everything out. Reading this article has made me take an introspective look at the people I’ve had mentor me. I’ve had a few mentors in my life but the one that stands out most to me is my music mentor Brayden. I went to highschool with him but we were in different crowds, which means we never talked. I got into music production and eventually we got into talking to each other, which is when he offered to mentor me. We got along well as friends to my surprise, which hits compatibility on that list. We hung out quite a few times just as friends and not as a mentor-mentee. Him being from a different crowd in high school made a lot of contrast, but he also made a different type of music than I sought to. It was useful because he was able to show me music theory and the program from a different perspective than I would’ve gotten from some random YouTube video. Obviously that also ties into expertise, as his knowledge still helps me to this day. Same goes with trust. He tells me when I do something bad, and makes sure to highlight when I do something good. By doing this it helps me strive to learn more while also helping to fight any feelings of incompetence.

15. Divyaa Sarin March 8, 2019 at 7:50 pm #

Mentors can be very helpful when a person joins a new job or field. Often times mentors are paired up with people in new positions in order to help them improve their line of work or just guide them towards the right direction. They can also be intimidating if a person does not form a good relationship with them. I think trust is the most important thing a person should be able to have with their mentor. After reading this article, I realized that in order to really benefit through a mentor is to ultimately trust them. When a person forms trust, they will be compatible and no issues can arise. It is important to form this type of bond in order to ensure success through your field. When a person is able to confide in their mentor, their opportunities to step out of their comfort zones and experience new things is limitless.

Personally, I worked at a doctor’s office a little over two years ago and was paired with a mentor. She really helped me feel more comfortable and taught me how to perform my job. I was a little scared at first, but once I confided in my mentor she really helped me succeed. From my experience, I believe mentors are really in a position to help you achieve your goals in your field or within the company. In a way, mentors can also be like professors or teachers. Our teachers provide us with knowledge in order to succeed in our field. In a way, this is a mentor like relationship because we form a professional relationship with our professors as well. We should really value these relationships for the meaningful experiences and use them for our advantages.

16. Melissa Caniz March 8, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

When I finally graduate from Seton Hall University, I hope that I will be able to get a job and work in my specialized field: accounting sports management. Now the beginning of any new employee or employer is tough. As a newbie to the company getting accustomed to the surroundings and peers will be a new experience. The company’s job is to now teach its new pupil how things have to be done accordingly to their demands. The company’s best option is to assign these individuals a mentor that will help them and guide them through the process of adaptation to their new work area. Now mentors are put beside the new employers to help them reach their maximum capacity. Now sometimes many people have issues with their mentors at first, for instance, they claim that they are young or that they don’t know what they are doing and so on. To succeed in any job just like in a sport, you have a coach that may do things his/her way but at the end of the day they are experienced and know exactly what they are doing because they too were one day rookies. But to establish a good connection with your mentor you must pursue four qualities, which are combability, contrast, expertise, and trust. Now, these four virtue qualities inside a mentor are crucial because if a working relationship is not established between the mentor and the trainee there will be no progress in the future. The one important quality that a mentor should have is a drive and will to take its trainee out of their comfort zone. In school, they teach students how to write in a structured format and they teach them how to solve 1+1 but in reality, the real world is nothing compared to what we are taught in school. A mentor should resemble the characteristics of a best friend, she/he must gain the confidence of its trainee to offer feedback on certain weakness and aspects that will help him/her increase efficiency and productivity in a workforce. Personally, when I’m on the field playing soccer, I only see what’s visible to my eyes but my coach on the sidelines sees the whole game and when half time kicks in, he tells us everything we did wrong and what we can do to improve our strategies and use our potential to the max to bring home a win. A mentor is not an enemy but rather a lifetime partner, someone who can be trusted when in time of doubt and can be relied on when needed.

17. Trevaughn Laney March 8, 2019 at 8:15 pm #

Having a mentor can make a huge difference in someone’s life because they may have knowledge that you are searching for or they may know how to find it if they don’t. I had a mentor once and it was suppose to be a trial but I ended up learning more about myself than I ever would have thought. Using the basics of a computer came easy and I always felt like if the answer was in big bold letters in my face than I was probably looking in the wrong area. But having a different perspective open my eyes up to taking a slight glance to the left and the answer may be right there. A lot of people don’t like the idea of having a mentor that is younger than them and some may even has a color preference but I truly believe everyone knows something that I don’t know and the way I would choose is, I would like to be mentored by someone who knows a-lot of things I don’t. Nothing wrong with having multiple mentors either. Besides being a mentor, that person may become a friend and someone who can not only show how to get to whatever goal you maybe trying to achieve but help you get there by being a source of network. Although having a mentor that has previous knowledge on wherever you’re trying to, having one that has been on the path you’re currently on is great but having one that has been on a totally different path can be as beneficial. A great example is someone who is a pro overseas can be as beneficial to a kid who is trying to go to the NBA as a mentor who was in the NBA because essentially the skill levels of each individual may be the same but the paths are just different.

18. Jon Sozer March 8, 2019 at 8:29 pm #

I have been lucky to have the opportunities that have been presented to me. If we are talking about mentors, the first one that would come to my mind is one of my old fencing coaches. Though we hadn’t become student and teacher formally until around a year or so after we had met, he would still teach me things here and there. Not only about fencing, mind you, but about life in general. He is about 4-5 years older than I am, so he was finishing university while I was still applying and making my decisions. He taught me a lot about what my life would look like in the near future, and I was always ready to listen. He had been through many experiences, a more recent one being his trip to India with his father, who practices anesthesiology. In turn, my father would mentor my mentor. My mentor was studying business and administration in university, and he would always take the opportunity to ask my father about his thoughts and his experiences regarding starting and running a business. Luckily, we still keep in touch, and he recently started his own business that deals in selling fencing equipment online.

Regarding the article, the 4 things that one should look for in a mentor – trust, contrast, compatibility, and expertise – were all things that I could comfortably say that my mentor embodied. Even though I respected him as much – or even more – as I would respect an elder, experienced individual, we took to each other’s’ personality quickly. We became friendly overtime, and truly friends after more time. I trusted him with issues that I hesitate to say I would trust with my parents, and he would trust me in turn. He taught me much about many things, fencing being the foremost, and would always challenge me to exceed and excel. Overall, I am grateful to say that I have been fortunate to meet someone I can truly call my mentor, and I hope others can say the same for themselves, as having a mentor greatly aided me in my personal growth both internally and externally. I have become a more wholesome, passionate person with his help, and I hope to become a mentor to someone in the future so that I may pass on my good fortune.

19. Marquis C March 8, 2019 at 10:52 pm #

After reading the Forbes article by Ashira Prossack, I felt as if more young adults should read this piece. Having a mentor is important, especially when being a young adult and choosing and career field. I also believe many young people get confused of what exactly a mentor is, since there has never been an established set of guidelines. However, Ashira did a great job with this piece and made the guidelines clear on what to look for in a mentor. This even helped me out as a person who has multiple options for a mentor, now I can take my time and choose one.
    According to the article the four things to look for in a mentor are compatibility, contrast, expertise, and trust. I concur with these four points, as they are very key. First off, compatibility is important because the relationship you have will be the base of the mentorship. You can’t force a relationship either, if it doesn’t feel natural after a few weeks then attempt to find a new mentor.
    Contrast is also an important thing to look for in a mentor. The point of having a mentor is for someone to help you grow and become more knowledgeable. That is why you need someone who is going to push and test your limits. If your mentor doesn’t push you, then they aren’t getting the best of your ability.
    The last two points of expertise and trust somewhat combine together. You need a mentor who has been through similar situations as you and has overcame them already. This way it will be easier to trust them since you know they have already overcome the challenge. Overall, this a piece is a perfect guide when searching for the right mentor. Find someone who has the best interest for ou, but isn’t afraid to push you out your comfort zone. You will regret moving into your career path without a mentor.

20. Ruth Francois March 19, 2019 at 9:42 pm #

Being a college student, I think there are benefits in having a mentor. Especially when someone is more knowledgeable in the field you want to enter. Often times people need guidance and support in their career path and having a mentor can be great to help them improve in certain areas. In the article, it mentioned when looking for a mentor it’s ok to step outside your comfort zone. A common misconception, is that a mentor should be older than you to help you further advance in your career. I agree that it is ok to have a mentor that is younger than you and looks different from you. The differences between a mentor and a mentee could further your career due to new ideas that they can bring. They could also challenge you in areas that you might need some improvements in. The article, states four things to look for in a mentor compatibility, contrast, expertise, and trust; these are great attributes to consider when searching for a mentor. I’m also looking for a mentor and compatibility is very important to me. I agree that the person I choose, I should be compatible with; because I’ll being spend more time with that person. I would like my relationship with my mentor to be positive and not force. I would want to feel comfortable around my mentor to work with him/her. I’m very shy so it would take me a little longer to open up to someone; so, my mentor would need to be patient with me. Also Searching for a mentor, a contrast in personality could be necessary; you need diversity to get a different outlook on things. Having a mentor that thinks differently than me could help me evolve in my career path. I also learned something new in this article it states, your mentor doesn’t have to be in the same field of work as you. Which makes sense, having someone with a different perspective and viewpoint could help you solve problems that you couldn’t have on your own. Another major key in searching for a mentor for me is trust as well. Over time people confide in their mentors trusting them with their information.

21. Kevin Metz May 3, 2019 at 7:35 pm #

Having a mentor can be helpful in many ways when it comes to pursuing a career. This person may help you develop new skills and confidence. So, what exactly should you look for when looking for a mentor? This article talks about the various qualities you should look for in a mentor such as compatibility, contrast, expertise, and trust. The purpose of a mentor is to encourage you to reach your goals as an individual and a future employee. Therefore, this should be someone who you work well with and encourages you to step outside your comfort zone. Through having a mentor, you are supposed to gain knowledge, confidence, and experience. If your mentor is someone who cannot provide you with those, the idea of having a mentor becomes useless. In my opinion, your mentor should help shape you into a better person both in and outside the work force. In order to find a mentor that has the ability to do so, people must be aware of the four qualities mentioned in this article. If the person you are seeking as a mentor does not embody all four of these qualities, the time you spend meeting with that person becomes wasteful. Your mentor should be someone who sees and understands your goals and does his or her very best to help you reach them. When I think of having a mentor, I think of someone who will guide me down the right path but is also not afraid to challenge me along the way. I feel as though your mentor should be someone you don’t previously know. Based on this article, you would get more out of a having someone you don’t already know as your mentor. You want someone who will take you and your goals seriously.