Is the Answer to Phone Addiction a Worse Phone?

from NYTs

I’ve gone gray, and it’s great.

In an effort to break my smartphone addiction, I’ve joined a small group of people turning their phone screens to grayscale — cutting out the colors and going with a range of shades from white to black. First popularized by the tech ethicist Tristan Harris, the goal of sticking to shades of gray is to make the glittering screen a little less stimulating.

I’ve been gray for a couple days, and it’s remarkable how well it has eased my twitchy phone checking, suggesting that one way to break phone attachment may be to, essentially, make my phone a little worse. We’re simple animals, excited by bright colors, it turns out.

Silicon Valley companies like Facebook and Google know this, and they have increasingly been turning to the field of applied neuroscience to see how exactly brains respond to color in the apps, what brings pleasure and what keeps the eye. New research shows how important color is to our understanding of priorities and emotion.

But not everyone wants to be so enamored with their screen. This week, two major investors asked Apple to figure out how to help parents limit their children’s use of iPhones and iPads, citing concerns over “long-term health.” There’s also a growing movement among some early tech employees warning against the products they’ve built. And many consumers are starting to wonder what this is all doing to our minds.

Mack McKelvey, the chief executive of the marketing firm SalientMG in Washington, D.C., said she’s aware of the tricks phones use to keep you on them longer — and coming back sooner.

, , , ,

70 Responses to Is the Answer to Phone Addiction a Worse Phone?

1. Pasquale V March 29, 2018 at 5:15 pm #

In today’s world, smartphones have an immense grip on the minds on the consumer. I myself see a minor addiction with my phone. I never go anywhere without my phone; I just need to have it. There are many reasons as to why people today are obsessed with their smart phones. The article above discusses how tech companies use bright colors and interesting shapes and patterns to draw the user’s attention to the phone, the article suggested switching the phone to black and white screen display. This would ultimately cut that psychological attraction to the bright colors showing on the phone screen. I thought this was a brilliant piece of advice. I have learned in marketing classes that there is a psychological connection between attraction and bright colors in the human mind. I feel the fact that tech companies using this as a tactic to keep users on longer is a very intimidating thought. Although intimidating, I understand why this method is used by these big tech companies. They are a business and this is a brilliant tactic to be used in order to attract users. Changing the screen to black and white would be very beneficial if trying to cut back on your phone usage. It would give people a chance to practice self-control and maybe substitute the time they would be using the phone for a more stimulating activity.

I feel the problem really stems from people being addicted to knowing and finding out information. This information can be anything. From finding an answer to a math problem, to finding out what Becky did with Bobby over the weekend. People today are obsessed, and a little nosey. Especially millennials, Youth today have a huge problem with technology and in most cases are becoming addicted to the phone because it is a great tool to use when finding information. The phone acts as the connection to the outside world, which is pretty sad, but that is the reality. Ultimately peoples

2. Jesse Rodgers April 4, 2018 at 11:43 pm #

The advancement in our phones has really been remarkable. However, with these advancements have come this sort of addiction that we all see today. Whether its kids, young adults, or even older adults when we look around the world we always see people constantly on their smartphone. It has made me wonder about this addiction to our phones and if it has become a problem. In the article it talks about how tech companies use these sort of color schemes and patterns and even shapes that keep people locked in on their phone. I know I for one am on my phone a lot and it is something that I am not too fond of. In the article it talks about going gray meaning they are making the phone so called less appealing to the eye. Now this seems like it has worked but to me this would just temporarily lessen the addiction and later people would go back to the same old addiction. Me personally I think the only way that this phone addiction would go away is if they just stop making smartphones and go back to the old flip phones. I remember people not being so addicted or attached to their phones when there was no reason to be on it unless you are calling someone or texting someone. All in all I think these phone addictions will not go away as long as they keep making these phones more and more advanced.

3. Brian Graziano April 5, 2018 at 5:09 pm #

At first glance, I was confused with how this article had any relevance to the topic. However, after reading this article, I realized there were some valid points made to this and everything all came together and made sense.One of the great points I really liked was the mentioning of peoples buying patterns. Most people like to buy things that stand out and appeal to them, not something so dark and boring. Tying that into people addiction to phones is valid. Who would want to stare at a dark phone screen? It just looks depressing. Exactly the point of this article. With the growth of technology, and with all of the powerful things a phone can do, many people have trouble letting go of the thing. Specifically, this has become a big conflict for school aged students and even drivers on the road. It poses a big distraction and unfortunately most people are addicted to their cellular devices. Cell phone addiction also poses many more threats to upcoming generations. It could affect social skills and the way people communicate with each other. 20 years ago, it was rare to see a cell phone in use during dinner talk because it was unacceptable and flat out rude. In today world, I constantly see children playing games on their phone during dinner time and it is acceptable by a lot of parents. In my eyes, communication is the key to a successful life. Cell phone addiction is detrimental to communication. Obviously people need to realize their addiction and will need to work at it. But this article makes a great point and cell phone addicts should really consider some of the points made in the article.

4. John Martino April 5, 2018 at 8:16 pm #

Our society’s everyday life is more than dependent on technology. Specifically speaking, smartphones are the large source of our addiction. We can’t go anywhere without our smartphones, something that was not even heard of before. 20 years ago, the idea of being able to carry a device that can communicate with anyone in the world at any given time was inconceivable. It is crazy to think how rapidly we accepted these devices and assimilated them as an essential part to our everyday lives. Past just communications with others, now smartphones have the capability to surf the internet at any time as well as allowing users to play games on the go. This versatility is seen as beneficial for the most part in society. But how do the effects of withdrawing from social interaction I exchange for technological interaction?

The author of this article, Nellie Bowles, saw this dependency and attempted to change her habits to see the effects it had on her daily life. By joining a small group of people who turned their phone’s colors off, making the screen gray, the attempt to make the phone a little less stimulating. I know that when I try to sleep, my mind often runs when I’m watching television or on my phone too long. Your brain tries to sleep but is still actively stimulated while sleeping. This affects your sleep’s REM cycle in a negative way resulting in a bad night’s sleep. I had no idea that companies like Google and Facebook were investing in applied neuroscience studies to see what the brain responds to as pleasurable and attention retaining. Essentially, these companies are praying on the psychology of the consumer’s human minds. By continuing to trigger their pleasure center in their brain through visual attraction, these companies are driving the consumer-technology obsession deeper and deeper into society’s culture.

The influence of technological addiction on children is another issue that needs to be addressed. Bowles mentioned that major investors were contacting Apple in hopes to limit their children’s use of iPhones and iPads due to “long-term health concerns.” Clearly these larger companies are seeing this as an issue that can affect children for the rest of their lives. This was an aspect I had not really considered until Bowles brought this point forward. If nothing changes in the way we monitor children’s technology use, the cycle of technology addiction will become a vicious circle, if it has not already. The concept of cool is what sells products in the United States, especially with the younger generation. This was not the case in the past when Americans would buy products based on their practicality. A great example of this is when Americans were buying the because of inflated prices on homes wages and cars as the Cold War was going on. Now, we tend to buy big brand names that are well known and seen as cooler than their alternatives. With our advanced knowledge of psychology and the effects that color has on the mind, we need to figure out how we can modify phone screens so that they become less addicting for consumers of all ages to use. If we continue to push this concept of cool on the younger generation, no matter what safeguards we might try to pursue, the technological addiction will have no end in sight. A phone should be seen as a tool rather than a toy, which is a distinction that many Americans have difficulty coming to.

5. Sapna April 6, 2018 at 8:42 pm #

There is not a day I go without using my phone, it is constantly there with me. There are so many distractions that phones can cause, and this affects us in so many ways. The article spoke about how people are obsessed with their phones, and why. There are so many reasons we use phones and most of the time they are not usually important. They revolve around social media, and our friends, and what’s happening with our favorite Instagram blogger. These are not always important, but they are excellent at diverting our attention from what really is vital. This articles spoke about how the technology companies use bright colors and distinctive patterns to attract the owner’s attention. It is shown that by changing settings and having a black and white screen display, we are less likely to be tempted to constantly touch our phone due to the lack of color. This is a good method to try out and see if it indeed helps us with our phone addiction, it is a great way to learn how to control oneself. Personally, I believe that by reversing to the old fashioned phones would be the best way to be less distracted, but the technology is only moving forward, and thus, there will definitely be more distractions coming forth. My mother has always told me that phones should only be used for emergencies, and for when I need to be picked up from a class, but nothing more. This is a stretch, but I can understand what she is trying to say. These devices are tempting, they basically hold the entire universe in their hands, and we have them at the tips of our fingers, but it is our job to learn self control and not fall for temptation. However, I don’t remember a time where people didn’t have phones, because I’ve grown up in a generation of technology, and where people use it in their every day lives. It has always been a part of a person’s daily life, to constantly have this. I remember when I was in middle school, I used to see kids younger than me having Iphones, and it confused me, they were children, what use did they have for a phone? The fact that little kids of that age could have phone blew my mind, but they were constantly distracted in class, and it only proved my mother right, phones are mere distractions.

6. Rain Cornelius April 6, 2018 at 9:20 pm #

Many of us today are “addicted “ to our smartphones, myself included. Personally, I check my phone far more often than necessary and it is pretty much in my hand or at least in arms reach at all times in the day. Sometimes, our phones can prove as more of a distraction than a helpful tool. In turn, changing the interface of a phone to black and white could be an excellent way to bring the amount of time we spend on them down to a minimum. The reason we are so attracted to our phones is the colors and designs that companies use to pull us in. Companies put a lot of time in developing the design of their apps and sites in order to increase the engagement. So, those looking to cut their time using their phones may find making their screens grayscale very effective. Staring at a gray phone holds much less appeal than the colorful, inviting look of our apps.

Although our phones offer easy communication and access to information and news within a small, convenience device, they can lead us to avoiding full interaction with what is around us, cause us to procrastinate, or even lose sleep. In addition to the method mentioned in the article, there are other ways that can help decrease the time spent on our phones. There are many different apps that reward the user or donate to a good cause based on the time the user is inactive on their phone, which is a great incentive to those who wish to stay off their phones. For example, an app called “Pocket Points” rewards students for not using their phones during class, which is an excellent method to decreases distractions. All in all, adopting these methods, or ones similar, can either make the phone less attractive and more like a tool or provide motivation to stay off your smartphone, allowing you to have control over how long you spend looking at your screen.

7. Joel Valdez April 6, 2018 at 10:59 pm #

I am just as guilty of the next person when it comes to checking my phone an unnecessary number of times throughout the day. The thought of having that surprise stimuli of a seeing a new message or sports notification can be slightly overwhelming during a boring statistics lecture. Yet, I myself am becoming a statistic by being one of those people who check their phone all the time. However, because my will power (believe it or not based on my last self assessment), it is not hard for me to decompress from my phone usage and place it down for a few hours to do something else. In those hours, I am not concerned with the social media world around me, nor the text messages I may be missing out on. The ability to not be addicted to my phone comes from inner convictions and discipline. The same cannot be said for many others.

I feel that blaming a company for your phone addiction is lazy and unfair to the the companies. Although they conduct a ton of research to develop programs that stimulate our minds and will keep us coming back, as strong individuals who can think for themselves, we should all be able to say no the request of addiction from these phone companies. In addition, we live in a culture where parents turned to technology to provide entertainment for the children, isolating them from other activities that take more efforts and are practical exercises. They are the ones who bought the tablets and iPads. They have the authority over their children to deny them access to such devices. They can promote to their children the importance of playing with blocks, or going outside, yet they choose to scratch their heads and blame the large companies. A color on a screen won’t change the fun you can have on a phone. And blaming others is lazy. To beat phone addiction, it must come from inside and within our own convictions.

8. Y Moon June 15, 2018 at 3:16 pm #

Over the course of the last decade, cell phones have become an essential part of many peoples’ lives. The advancements that have been mades since grey scale flip phones are astronomical. The times where cell phone internet access was rare and quite expensive are gone and now pretty much all cell phones have affordable internet availability with the carrier plans the consumer choses. I feel fortunate to have been able to live through the advancements of phones and vividly remember the times when I had a grey scale phone that only made phone calls and texts, you had the plan for texting. During the times I had a grey scale phone, I was not as attached or addicted to my phone they way I am now. Even when I got a color screen camera phone, I was not as attached to my phone like I am today. But then again, during this time unlimited data and/or unlimited text plans were not of existence because of the lack of internet accessibility and because texting was not as popular as it is today. Just a few years after my first color screen phone, the advancements in cell phone technology exploded. Cell phone companies were now making all their phones with cameras, they started to make phones with keyboards, they started to develop apps that consumers can download, etc. Before the iPhone, the T-Mobile Sidekick was the must have have of the time. Users were able to access the internet, it had a keyboard and it also opened and closed in a unique way that really appealed to consumers. The only bad thing was that you would have to have T-Mobile as your mobile carrier in order to buy the Sidekick. During this time of explosion of cell phone advancements is where I believe our phone addictions started. Consumers were able to finally access the internet without having to be at home with their desktops or laptops and you did not have to be home for Wi-Fi access; the pure convenience of having internet access on your phone was an accommodation that the world loved and craved better access and better phones. A few years after the Sidekick came out, Apple presented the iPhone and this would change the world forever. Even though the first generation iPhone looks similar, it performed no where near as well as the current generations of iPhones. Even so, the first generation iPhone introduced apps and one of the best internet availability that the cellphone world could offer. The introduction of the iPhone changed the cell phone industry completely changed how we work and live today. Many people all over the world are addicted to their cell phones, but can anyone blame them? Phone advancements have made it nearly impossible to stay off cell phones and the addition of social media and the constant demands from work does not help the addiction. I am no exception to the addiction to cellphones and I am very grateful for how easy and convenient they have become, but there are many times where I have yearned for my old grey scale phones because then I would not have as many distractions as I do today. While putting one’s phone into grey scale can help deter distractions and focus the user, it does not change the fact that the phone still has those distracting apps. If a user wants to beat their phone addiction, just like any addiction, it must come from self determination.

9. Britania B September 27, 2018 at 7:00 pm #

The idea of turning my phone to grayscale is horrible because then I would not be able to see any colors that attract my eyes. I use my phone for almost everything and every day. But it almost makes sense that if we do change the color on our phone black and white it would be dull to us and would not use that often. The way how company market to their product it mostly through the color and fonts because we do see through our eye perspective first. By turning on grayscale would change the way how a company will market an item. This would be a great idea for kids who are mostly on their phone all day. They will think that the phone color is dull and actually play with the toys they were provided by their family. Or even go outside to play since there is more color out there.

Many of us switch from flip phones to iPhone or Android just because of the color. The flip phone does not give a person that many options with color it was only blue and white. With a phone like iPhone or Android, it is now endless with colors. From social media to emails and text messages. People use their phone using the bathroom and waiting in line all because of color and what the phone has to offer. Another answer to phone addiction could be just putting the phone on do not disturb but at the same time that would not work because people have the option to take it off but so does turning on grayscale on your cell phone.

10. Taylor Mennie October 2, 2018 at 12:51 pm #

Over the course of 40 years since the first mobile phone has been created. Society now cannot live without having a cell phone. It the best way to interact with people for business, social events, pictures, or to entertain your child while out to eat. Society has many reasons to be attached to a phone but getting too attached is the problem now. As for I do have a twitch when coming to checking phone before, during, and after class to see what is the latest going on within my life. Social media is absorbing majority of our artificial life on a platform since humans are attracted to colors as for which why I am always checking my instagram account way more than I should be checking my emails.
    In my opinion going to grayscale would most likely limit phone usage since certain colors appeal to priorities and emotions. Color and shapes are the icebreakers when grabbing someone’s attention and business need attention to gain customers. But the grayscale offers a choice for a phone owner showing no manipulation when using a phone since there are no vibrant colors popping out to a person. Which makes people in charge of their usage since it is tangible to change the setting on the phone. Many consumers feel great about gaining their control back to be more organizational and more productive since lessening the attention for procrastination of eye-catching color schemes. However, as a consumer, most of colleagues will switch over to grayscale during exams week to be more in the book than being on the phone.

11. Jaden Tate October 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm #

This article is speaking about and hits essential things that people of my generation need to know. We are the generation of smartphones and technology. We are so caught up in what our friends are doing and social media that we forget to look up from our phones. My roommates, for example, the first thing that they do when they get up is grabbing their phone and walk to the bathroom. They then sit there for 10 minutes trying to catch up on what was happening while they were sleeping with I lay in bed and ponder about how one could be so addicted. In my opinion, I don’t even think that they needed to do a study to figure out that if you turn your phone screen to black and white, you would be less likely to look at it. No one would want to use their phone as their toy anymore but more as the device that it was meant to be. When Ms. McKelvey, the chief executive of the marketing firm SalientMG, stated “It took like 40 minutes to figure it out. They buried the setting”. This you could have seen coming.
    Why would Apple want to have the setting so easily accessible? By having this setting present then more people would start using the black and white setting, making their products less addictive. This was a good strategy by Apple, to make their phones so colorful and irresistible that people want to be on it and want to buy the newest one. I believe it is sad though that the people of my generation are so addicted to their phone that if you take it away, they would not know what to do with themselves. Another sad thing is the fact that parents are always complaining about how their kids have their eyes glued to their phone yet they allow for the younger kids to theirs all the time.
    This really blows my mind in the sense that parents are getting their children addicted at such a young age. I guarantee that if you were to walk into any family restaurant, you would see someone younger than the age of 5 on some sort of device. I mean for goodness sake the restaurants now have the devices waiting for you on the table. Parents are now using things such as iPads and iPhones as ways to keep their children busy and quiet. Yet the parents complain when they take one of these devices away, and their child throws a fit. Here it indeed is a double-edged sword.
    Another point that the article brings up is that “if you have lots of color and contrast then you’re under a constant state of attentional recruitment,” and this is a problem for the younger generation. A tablet bigger than their heads with games that include a whole bunch of bright colors is definitely attention-grabbing. I fear that with this enormous jump in technology that the younger generation is going to have serious problems. Problems such as social skills and separation anxiety.

12. Selena October 4, 2018 at 4:40 pm #

Our Smartphones today expose us to an abundant amount of resources for various needs. Whether an individual wants to go on social media, check their email, study for an exam, play a game, the Smartphone gives you the ability to do a wide variety of tasks. These tasks can help productivity, but also decrease productivity because of the rise of cell phone addictions. I am a victim to the Smartphone addiction, so this article has helped me become more in control of my counterproductive cell phone use. I have the iPhone X and since I bought it, I have been tapping almost everything around me when my phone is not around. You have to tap the screen of the phone to light it up, so when my phone is not around I am tapping my calculator, desk, and couch reminding me that I have not been on my phone in a while.

Why are we so addicted to our phones? We have grown into a culture of needing instant gratification when we post a picture on Instagram or Facebook. Before reading this article I thought people were addicted to their phones because of the attention. I did not even think about the subconscious need to be on our phones: the colors and shapes. At the end of the article, I immediately changed my phone to grayscale. I want to be in control of when and how I use my phone because sometimes I scroll endlessly on my phone when I could be doing something productive instead. After changing my phone to grayscale I realize how distasteful it actually is. Everything is without color and boring, but I am willing to try it out to see how it affects my craving to go on my phone.

The tricks that colors play on your brain are so interesting. It is true, I would not buy a cereal box that is black and white. You experience the initial dislike without the color stimulation. Also, if I saw a colorless cereal box, I would assume that the company could not afford color on the box, therefore the quality is not like those of colorful cereal boxes. Companies are using these colors to attract our subconscious choices. The color on packages or the color in our phones are sending us messages of importance. Our attention is grabbed and we feel like we must prioritize these tasks. I like the idea of turning our phones to grayscale. It puts us humans more in control of the technology that has us hooked.

13. Justin T October 5, 2018 at 1:36 pm #

I would be the first one to admit that I check my phone too many times a day for absolutely no reason. Like myself they’re are many people out their facing the same epidemic of being addicted to their smart phone. On the flip side of this most of us are addicted to our phones solely due to the fact that they run our lives, from email, to social media, to checking the weather in today’s culture the answer to the next day and so on lives within our hand. I would also agree with the fact that companies such as google due a great job grabbing the user in using colorful and appealing fonts. People like things that are exciting and bright and grab their attention right away. Another issue we are facing is that developers are making devices and apps much more younger friendly, this is allowing young kids to basically grow up off cellular devices or even iPads. But something that is interesting is to think is that how the world’s going? Yes, we shouldn’t have kids be playing video games on these devices twenty four hours a day, but giving them opportunity to use them and work with them on certain platforms I feel that put’s them a step ahead of some of their competitors.

Now regarding the gray scaling of our devices I personally see this as great idea, and for the people who think it’s terrible you’re addicted to your phones and can’t admit it. By saying that I won’t gray scale my phone because it makes everything less exciting really means that you’re depending on the phone to give you a certain level of excitement everyday. That’s fine but to an extent, I think that this is a real great way to kick the addiction as it’s just not as sexy of a phone and as humans we like stuff like stuff thats glamorous. I think that moving forward companies should have to implement an option like this, but they won’t of course because they know that users would be down and they wouldn’t be generating as much money.

14. Rableen Sudan October 5, 2018 at 9:26 pm #

The twenty-first century is surrounded by technology that keeps updating, getting faster, better, and now becoming addictive among all ages of people. I sadly come under one of the individuals that are addicted to their phone’s. I can recall a few times that I realized that I truly was addicted to my phone. For instance, my fingers travel to the phone by itself. I don’t really have control over them and if I restrain myself, I have this need to “just check.” There are also times where I just want to use my phone for a purpose, either it is to set a reminder, text my family members, or to just check the time; however, after that task is done I will go into other apps to “just check.” This actually brings me to the topic of how much I rely on my phone either it be for constant reminders, building my schedule in the calendar app, or using it to stay updated on my friends and updating them about my life.

Social media has a huge impact on why so many young individuals, like me, are addicted to their phones. There is this huge trend in updating friends, family, even acquaintances on what is going on in our lives. For instance, I am guilty of, like many other individuals, taking out my phone during a get-together or an event. When I go out with my friends, I will take a picture through Snapchat and put it on my story, this way everyone knows what I am doing. Yet, I know the action is not necessary, but it is built in our culture.

Nevertheless, phones initially are great tools to keep open communication between loved ones and keeping track of one’s schedule. However, the bright colors and different shapes are some of the few reasons that humans are addicted to their phones. I know from experience that I would not buy a product that is black and white. I would just lose interest since the bright colors and different shapes or designs are not present. Thus, one way to lessen the phone addiction is by making the screen gray; as the article states. I personally do want to test out this theory and see if I can be in control on when I want to use my phone.

15. Erica L. October 8, 2018 at 10:17 am #

To me, the simple answer is no. This will not cure the addiction to phones. The technological advancements that we have made, as a country, have been astonishing. In fact, our technology has been growing so rapidly that I believe we all have a hard time keeping up with it. I mainly believe that this is the reasoning for all of our addictions to our phones and other technological devices. I think that because technology is advancing so quickly, we are all curious about the advancements which gets us sucked into this technology world without even knowing it. Once we take that first step into figuring out what all the buzz is about for a specific item, we immediately get glued to it and we cannot seem to get out of it because technology progresses faster every day which causes a domino effect with every other device or software they put forward. With this being said, I believe that it is okay to be addicted to our technology advancements because they are quite remarkable.

However, I do not believe that a lesser phone will cure this “addiction”. The reality of the situation is that technology has taken over everything we do during our day whether that be at home, work, or at school. Once we find out what our technological devices can do, I don’t think that changing the color of the phone to grey, will impact whether or not we will be on it. It may make certain things less exciting but at the same time if you want to check certain apps or specific feeds to know what is going on with the world or your friends, you will still check that as often as you want. I think it will be hard to cure this “addiction” to phones and other technological devices because we live in a time where what we do at work, school, and at home, requires technology.

16. John Skalski October 12, 2018 at 4:28 pm #

I never would have thought that a way to reduce phone addiction and get people away from them would be to put it on grayscale. In a world where everyone seems to have some kind of smart device it is nice to know that some people are still out there looking for ways to keep people away from them. I am not saying that devices such as the IPhone, IPad, laptops, etc. need to disappear but I am saying that the addiction that people have to them does need to stop. I for one am not saying that I am not addicted because at times I am and would like it if I could get away from my phone more often. Imagine if you could go out to dinner with your family to a nice restaurant and not see people go on their phones but rather engage with each other and have meaningful conversations. Whenever I am out in public, hanging with family, or something of that nature I try my best to stay off my phone and actually talk to people. I find it to be very enjoyable whenever I am able to do this because it does not happen a lot of times. Every Sunday morning when I am home from school I go to mass at 9am with my family and I always make sure to leave my phone at home and not worry about bringing it. It is kind of a nice feeling to not always be checking my phone for alerts, going on Instagram, twitter, etc. because besides that time I usually am on my phone a lot. The world that we live in today allows for people to go on their phones for a majority of the time and not make it seem like it is a bad thing. In reality, going on your phone a lot is a bad thing because you are not engaging with the world and seeing all the great things that happen around you. After reading this article, I cannot make any promises that I will stay away from my phone more, but just maybe I will try out the grayscale and see how life is having a phone not in color anymore.

17. Skylin Riedweg October 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm #

Technology is growing at an insanely rapid rate and consumers are barely keeping up. Everyone wants the newest iPhone or newest laptop and new one seems to come out every year. We become obsessed with the new features and gadgets without a second thought. The idea that the new phone is even a smidge better than the old one. I think the idea of putting our phones in grayscale will divert some of the attention we put towards our devices because it’s no longer as colorful and there loses its excitement. However, I don’t think that this will cure phone addiction as we are so programmed to being on our phone for so many hours a day. It will be a hard addiction to get rid of.

18. Rose Hyppolite October 26, 2018 at 9:20 pm #

I came across this article last week and decided to test out the theory by setting my phone in black and white for a whole week. The idea of having my phone in black and white was very interesting to me, I never knew it was possible to do so.

The first couple of days I was completely astounded. Face-timing was black and white, snapchat stories and text messages. What stood out to me the most was Instagram. Everything was in black and white, it was remarkable. However, I found myself wondering a lot about colors. For example, what color clothing the individual was wearing, the shoe color, whether or not they had good lighting and the color of a product. I grew very frustrated halfway through week which caused me to set the colors back on every time I was on Instagram. I wish I could say the same as the author of the article but turning my phone screen to grayscale did not ease my twitchy phone checking. I was constantly on my phone and was able to use it just as if it was colored. However, I do agree that colors are designated to stimulate us. A world without color would be very dull.

To answer the question, “Is the answer to phone addiction a worse phone”? I would have to say no, having a grayscale phone is not the reason of phone addiction. In terms of addiction, I agree with Erica because the only reason to phone addiction is the advancement of technology. I can definitely relate to this because when I was in six grade, I had flip flop while most students had the slide up keyboard phone. I have to say that my phone never saw daylight unless I needed to make a phone call. As I continue to upgrade my phone I started to become more of an addict. Erica is right because with our technology evolving, whether it is a phone or not, we do get caught up with the different upgrades or devices that are being introduced to market, and that is what causes our addiction.

19. Anthony Ciaralli November 1, 2018 at 10:51 pm #

With the incredible advances in technology, especially in phones, it has caused many to become addicted to their phone. Social media has become important for many people because it is a great way to stay connected with old friends and family. This doesn’t always happen to be the case, many people are now addicted to social media and can’t seem to put their phone down. Personally, I spend too much time on my phone and have to remind myself to put it away. I usually have to do this by turning my phone off, so I can get work done.

In the article, they talk about turning your phone black and white. The apps are created to draw attention to the user, so they constantly keep coming back. The black and white makes it so it’s not as tempting. Personally, if people want to stop using their phone so much I think they should switch back to flip phones. If they do this they won’t be able to get onto the internet and will stop them from using it as much as they do now.

20. Zach Towlen November 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm #

The concept of color from a psychological point of view has always been an interest of mine. I am currently taking a marketing class that goes in depth on how marketers use color as a part of sensory marketing through your eyes. Color is what we are attracted to and we see certain colors as a representation of certain feelings. The color red is used to excite and stimulate where the color blue is usually used as calming and resting. This is why fast food giants such as McDonald’s, Wendy’s and Chick Fil-A use the color red as the primary color in their logos and everything else. It is used to excite you and want you to buy their food. Now take this into consideration when looking at colors on your phone screen. Instagram and other apps use bright colors for their app picture and it makes you want to go on the app. Your brain sees it as a gateway to excitement and almost forces you to click on it compared to a dull, black app.
    Taking this information and relating it to the phone phenomenon, I truly stand by the evidence that making your phone screen black and grey will help you reduce the addictiveness you have. Your eyes and mind will not want to stare at the boring, unattractive screen looking for an app to go on. Instagram will not seem as attractive when it is grey compared to what it is now. The question is could this fix addictiveness to phones? I mean I think it definitely could, but the issue is people wanting to make their phones look like this. This is where the issue comes in, where people are going to have a choice if they want color or a grey screen, their mind wants color. The color, as I had said, is the driving force in excitement and stimulation. No one in their right, current minds will want to turn their phones into this. Then we can say, well, why can’t the phone companies force grey onto everyone’s phones? Well I do not think the phone companies would want to do this just for the reason that they want people addicted to their phones. If they are addicted, they will most likely buy the new versions at high prices. I believe that this concept is a very thought out and possible transformation, but society will not be able to go through with it, that is the only flaw.