Why You Should Be Using a Password Manager

from iThemes

Every few weeks, we hear the news that another major website has been hacked. Often these hacks mean your personal information has also been compromised. In this post, we cover the important reasons for why you should use a password manager to protect your online identity, and how to get started with LastPass, a free password manager.

, , ,

38 Responses to Why You Should Be Using a Password Manager

1. Charles Carretti September 26, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

To begin with, this article has done an adequate job of making me nervous enough about my online password security to consider using the software that the website was likely paid to advertise. With the recent trend of major companies having their information compromised along with their customer’s information as the icing on the cake, it forces the individual as part of a hacking society to start thinking carefully about their own privacy. I am ashamed to say that I use essentially the same password for all of my online accounts, with only minor changes for each. I am also uncertain if I should have said that as there may be hackers among us on this very website.

Ultimately there is a small chance for me personally to look deeper into opportunities to strengthen my online passwords with third party software, as much as the article’s plug for LastPass impressed me. Looking at the most common passwords of 2016, it is easy to understand that people are not willing to put in the time to even consider their online security, let alone improve it. This is a great example of the unwritten human condition clause that states no one is ever motivated enough to put in the effort now towards something that will improve their lives in any future period that is not now. Instant gratification is a poison that leaks into every facet of our lives, and it is time myself and the whole world starts acknowledging that problem.

2. Andre Bakhos September 28, 2017 at 8:40 pm #

In the world of the internet, there are those whom wish to be productive, and use it for self-betterment, entertainment, or as a tool for learning and completing work. Then there are those who wish to cause nothing but misery and difficulty for innocent users. These debauched manipulators use technical prowess, superior knowledge of coding, algorithms, and programs to steal information from users. This can result in people having their identity stolen, which often means that their bank accounts and social security are also compromised. One of the first lines of defense against these cyber attackers, is a password that is strong enough to deter them, and unique enough in order to prevent them from guessing the character combination. Password managers, as mentioned in the article, are a great way to keep your information safe, and passwords complex and difficult to guess or figure out, and while they are indeed helpful, they are not necessary to create a robust password. A password should have a few qualities to keep it strong and sturdy against people attempting to use it to access your accounts, all of which can be designed by the user to offer security and convenience.
    The first quality of a strong password is the length of the password itself. Usually, the shorter a password is, the easier it will be for a hacker or a program to figure it out, as the smaller the code, the fewer characters the hacker needs to guess. A good length is around eight characters, because when you take into account all ninety-five characters on a standard QWERTY keyboard, including upper and lowercase letters, you can have up to 3,025,989,069,143,040 different combinations for a password! Naturally, a longer length password will result in even more combinations.
    Another quality that can help result in a strong password is how unique it is from other passwords out on the web. To make a password unique, try to stay away from generic combinations such as 123456 or asdfgh. Instead, use a random combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Mix in some upper and lowercase number and letters, and even substitute letters for similar looking numbers to add even more security, such as a “3” for an “e,” or a “5” for an “s”. Creating unique passwords also includes using the same key for multiple websites. If a hacker somehow uncovers the password to your Facebook account, there is a good chance that it may also be the code to your email, Instagram, and maybe even your bank account, amongst other websites.
    Thankfully, many websites mandate certain minimums that passwords must meet, including the length of the password and limitations or directives to include certain characters or cases of letters. This may seem annoying at first, but is necessary, and in good taste, as the reason for these password requirements are so that websites can protect your information with the level of security necessary. For example, an online banking service may require a very complex password, as well as other means of security, while something like a free online newspaper may not have any requirements at all. If they do not implement requirements, users may set easy passwords, allowing hackers more simplified access to their private information on the websites, therefore giving that website a bad reputation. This is especially important with sites that have access to personal information like your phone number, address, social security number, and bank account information.
    Passwords are the first line of defense from hackers trying to steal a victims information, and use it for whatever they wish. Creating a weak password to protect yourself directly compromises your most important information. The trend of websites shifting towards passwords that are complex is a good one, and should continue into the future, especially as the world progresses in what technology is used for. More financial and private information is being sent and stored in online databases, and continues to increase as the world moves on from paper. If people do not wise up and create stronger passwords, they are indirectly welcoming hackers to feast on their more valuable data.

3. Steven Merrill September 29, 2017 at 11:06 am #

This article talks about the uses of passwords and technology. It also introduces the reader to a website that will be able to handle all of your passwords for you. This site is a massive storage area that holds all passwords for all of someone’s different accounts. Lastly, the article explains how to set up this site and be able to use it for ones your own use.
    This article is one that every single person who uses technology should read. It seems like in the current generation, every single person has some kind of technology. These pieces of technology range from smart phones to laptops to even now smart televisions. With that being said, everyone has some kind of passwords for something to do with it. These could be social media, online purchasing, etc. I personally have at least five to seven sites that require me to have a password. Like it states in the article, I use the same password for all of these sites, so if one gets hacked, I am in trouble. It was very eye opening to think about that after I read this article.
    I believe that this is a great idea. Everyone needs some sort of keeper for all of their passwords because quite frankly, if everyone used different passwords for all of the sites they need one for, they would forgot which one was which. My question is though, is there a way for these systems to be set up on a cellular device. If this could be set up it would be a new area of the business they could enter and possibly make money on it. Me personally I will look into one of these sites because may not be needed to save all my passwords, but by having it, it will be better to be safe than sorry.

4. Valerie Dorsett September 29, 2017 at 11:47 am #

How easy is it for me to correctly guess your password? When it comes to creating a password this can either be very simple or hard. Some people use the same password for more than one website. Others try to come up with something new every time hoping they will remember it. However, the most important thing to think about when it comes to creating a password is to think of whether it is easy to guess or not. In today’s digital age, it is becoming very important for people to practice this. Many different kinds of websites have been getting hacked over the years which puts your personal information at risk. In the article, “Why You Should Be Using a Password Manager,” by Nathan Ingram he explains why you should use a password manager and gives tips on how to create a better password.

Many companies have been getting hacked recently. Companies like Sony, the U.S Postal Service, the most recent Equifax hack, have all been victims. Some people wonder, do I really need to create a unique password for this website? I believe that it is important that all people do. Ingram states that, “If you use the same email address and password for all your websites, now the hacker will be able to log into all your accounts at once,” which puts you at a much larger risk than other people who have different passwords for all of their accounts (Ingram). Having different passwords, gives you time to go back and change them before a hacker can access them all at once. If you begin doing this the risk of your private information getting out is much less than others who keep their passwords all the same. When I was younger I did not want to bother remembering so many different passwords that I always used one password for about five different websites. They were just games, but now due to the hacks happening rapidly and Ingram’s view of passwords, I realize that you should always be coming up with different passwords in order to keep my accounts safe. Since I will be creating many passwords for websites I will need in the future like LinkedIn and credit card bank passwords I will remember to think of something so different that only I could guess and never reuse.

Some of the most common passwords used in 2016 have not surprised me because they have always been popular in previous years as well. The article stated the top three passwords were 123456, 123456789, and qwerty. The password, “password” is also number 8 on this list which I am not surprised by. In order to avoid easy to guess passwords, there is a Password Manager named LastPass. Ingram explains that, “A Password Manager such as LastPass not only remembers your login information, but also helps you generate long, complex passwords and stores them and other information securely,” which is a free program so that way anyone can get help making strong passwords (Ingram). This program allows you to add all of your current passwords for websites you use like amazon, into its system and keep them secure. LastPass even has a feature where you can test how strong of a password you have.

Using a Password Manager is not something everyone needs, but is recommended in order for you someone to not get hacked. A program like LastPass seems like it would be very helpful and protective. However, since it is a computer program, could that not get hacked as well? Although this is something that I do not plan on using now, there is a possibility that in the future if the site is still seen as trustworthy I would set up an account for. It offers many helpful tips for a free service. I definitely would not want to be hacked anytime soon especially since some websites have access to our debit/credit cards. LastPass is something I will be looking into.

5. Erik Peterson September 29, 2017 at 1:52 pm #

With the insecurity of information on the internet today, it is vitally important to keep unique, strong, yet easy to remember passwords. Every day, websites that you have potentially visited get hacked, and your information gets into the hands of people who plan to use it for their own personal gain. If you reuse any information on any website, including usernames, passwords, or even email addresses, you should probably go about changing some of that information up. If a hacker were to access your information on one website, and try that same information on another website, they would now have access to two of your accounts, instead of just one. This article recommends using a few programs to store and generate strong passwords, however, I feel like even that might be a bit insecure. Let’s say that you take this article’s advice, and you decide to use LastPass. All of your information for the hundreds of websites that you might visit is now stored in one place. If LastPass were to be compromised, then all of your information would fall into the hands of a hacker at once. For this reason, I personally think that it would be unwise to use programs like LastPass to store your passwords. It would be equally unwise to have your information stored locally in your browser.
    There are plenty of ways to avoid having your information hacked on the internet. The easiest way to ensure security is to have a different password for each and every website that you create an account for. This way, if hackers get your information for one website (twitter, for example) they will not have your password for another site (Facebook, as another example). However, is that even enough? It turns out that present day hackers have the technology to guess millions of passwords per second, via software. Therefore, if you want to be fully protected from password hacks, you must have a password of completely random numbers, characters, and letters, for each individual site. One might ask “how can I be expected to remember all of those passwords?” The answer is actually quite simple, and you have two options. The first, possibly more risky option, is to store your unique, random passwords in a notepad file on your computer. You aren’t going to want to have this file on the desktop, but instead have it stored within several other folders. With this method, you can simply copy and paste your password into each site that you log into. The second option is to manually write down each of your passwords on a piece of paper, and then store that piece of paper somewhere secure, like a safe. It might be a pain to do either one, or both of these methods, but in the end, all of your information will be completely safe.
    The internet can be a very unsafe place for people. We store vital information like credit card numbers, addresses, and social security numbers right on our computers, often unprotected. If this sort of information fell into the wrong hands, your life could get seriously messed up. Thanks to programs like last pass, or by using your own intuition, anyone is able to become more protected on the internet almost immediately.

6. Rebecca Hu September 29, 2017 at 3:16 pm #

Almost everything on the interne now requires a combination of username and a password to access the service or personal information. With the continuous progress in technology, our information on the internet seems to be more dangerous than we imagined it to be. This article points out a very important point, where once one account is hacked it is often linked to other sites that we used the one hacked email account for log in information. I always heard it in YouTube videos and read some blog about password manager. I never thought about using one. Especially after the hack of Equifax and hearing hacks being initiated more and more. I realize, probably my information are not safe.
    The article suggested a list of most common password used in 2016. I am really happy that my password looks nothing like that. I realized that most of my online accounts I use the same or similar passwords. I do not know if other people have the same habits with me, I like to use the same combination for password because I can remember it easily. Often I see people have no idea what is their corresponding passwords for different accounts. However, through recent events of hacks and this article it made me realize that once one accounts get hack all of my accounts are in danger.
    Once in a while I create a unique password, random combination that have no meaning to me and I have no way of remembering I just used the Google Chrome function to remember passwords. This article points out that the function in the browser is “remember your passwords and fill them in automatically for you, this is for convenience and not security.” The major difference between a password manager and your browser remembering the passwords. Is that password manager will generate a more complicated password and save them the program.
    This article goes more into detail on recommending and comparing different password manager programs. I think we can see there is a trend of products that is putting more effort on ensuring privacy and security on the internet. Then there is still a constant battle between hackers and security software. Referring back to the Equifax case, the major reason they allowed the hack to take place is that they didn’t update their software system. I am worried then since we put everything in one place, if a password manager gets hacked then all of our accounts are in danger.
    With today’s technology, and current lifestyle. I think there is no such thing as your information is “safe”. There are information everywhere, companies are collecting your information through search histories and cookies. As previous article mentioned that social media, or generally the internet is a mass weapon of manipulation. Since people can have access to things so fast. There is the threat of other people wanting personal information for other purposes. It is an unfortunate thing to say that majority of our information are compromised. Yet, we cannot really react once the incident took place. We can only be cautious about suspicious activity on your account. I find it the most ancient way of keeping a little notebook that have your log in information the safest from being compromised. Pen and paper is always the best when remembering personal information, there is no way for people from other side of the world to have access of information. I liked the idea that we are investing more resources to ensure security of our accounts online.

7. Adam Rakowski September 29, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

Hackers know that most people don’t go through the trouble of changing or improving every password they have on every account whether it be a Facebook account or a Gmail account. Changing these passwords and putting the additional effort in is much safer than using one identical password for all of your accounts. It is so critical because this internet ages pretty much forces us to have multiple accounts on various different websites, so hackers can easily make the assumption that you use similar passwords for all of your other accounts. This truly is a phenomenon because it all comes down to how badly we really want our information protected. Let’s just all admit that we’re lazy about these things and the worst part is: hackers know that very well. A simple breach into your Pizza Hut account can cause all sorts of mayhem that can put your online bank accounts and even data base profiles at risk. Granted that it may be tedious to go back and switch all of your passwords to something different from what it already is and what’s even harder is remembering all of the small details and changes you made.
    There is usually a standard that pertains to a strong and secure password. The basics are at least 16 characters for each password, a combination of numbers, symbols and uppercase in no particular order and spaces. It is strongly suggested that you avoid using repetitions, common dictionary words, common usernames that are related to that same accounts, pronouns and any other significant order of numbers that can be anything from a phone number to a social security number. The article discusses some applications that can help manage and save the passwords you use without putting them at risk like most password remembering techniques would. The password managers that are mentioned here include LastPass which basically acts as a mainframe for all of your passwords and uses one master password that manages off your other ones. Now naturally, the idea of still using a singular password to manage all of your other ones may be a little bit worrisome but establishing a singular complex password and never having to worry about remembering your 50 other complicated passwords is well worth it in my personal opinion. The application is very easy to use too. You just simply store your passwords and the websites or accounts related to each particular password and you’re set.
    There also exists another way of remembering your passwords and that’s with the help of Google which now has created a high – security method of remembering your passwords and other important information such as phone numbers, addresses and even credit card numbers. The method is usually applicable on any device as long as the account linked with the information is the one being used on those particular devices.
    A very cool feature that the majority of popular websites and databases now use are two-step verifications. Sites like Facebook and Google now use this method and require you to link either a phone number or a second email so that the website can send you verification code that you would need to sign on to your account with if you are using a different computer or different phone, for example. Once your computer is “recognized” or frequently used, you no longer each to worry about this extra step but it does guarantee an extremely safe method of accessing your accounts on different devices.

8. Li Zonghao September 29, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

With more and more information being stored in the cloud as opposed to hard drives, there is an increased importance on the passwords that protect online information. There may be many solutions to protecting online information, but the most simple and effective is perhaps using a password manager. Because our brains are not suited to store extremely random and complex information, we can borrow the use of password managers to help us store complicated passwords so that malicious hackers will not access important information.
    First, to address the importance of having a random and complex password, it is possible for hackers to guess easy passwords such as “123456,” “qwerty,” “111111.” Furthermore, even if the hackers do not manually guess, there are programs that can exploit easy passwords like those in a trial and error method. Thus, if one wants to really secure one’s information with a password, a good method would be to set up something like “Xi1J79@0n!“ A combination like this with alphabet, numbers, and signs would take lots of trial and error to get, and by the time that the malicious program had the chance to try this combination, the system would likely lock the malicious program out in most cases. And as I have mentioned before, since our brains are not suited to memorizing random and complex strings, we can use password managers to help us secure our information for an easy solution. Although one can make the argument that hackers would merely need to hack the password manager, the two-step authentication would make it all the more harder for people with ill will to do so because unless the hackers know that the account owner has an account manager, they will not do so. Furthermore, within password managers, there is the option of setting up a two-step authentication within the system, making one’s passwords all the more secure.
    Using a password manager would also prevent the easy mistake of using one password for different accounts. In this case, even if one uses something as complicated as “Xi1J79@0n!“ there is a dangerous possibility that if the culprit gets his or her hands on the password, multiple accounts will be compromised.
    Ultimately the act of protecting one’s passwords should never be underestimated. With the recent Equifax leaks, that is one way for so much important information to be leaked. Unlike the big benefits of hacking Equifax and gaining access to thousands of accounts, one can make the argument that hackers will hardly target random people. But this is hard to say. What if someone gained access to your account because your password is as simple as “123456”? There are steps that you could have taken earlier to prevent this yet you didn’t. Furthermore, as more of our data is sent to the cloud, keeping complicated passwords is a good habit. For example, many banks allow customers to send money with a few gestures and many online transactions can be made with a few clicks. As time goes on, keeping one’s password secured will become increasingly important as more information is available in the cloud.

9. Chris O'Handley September 29, 2017 at 6:21 pm #

Using a password manager like LastPass is probably a good idea given the state of security most web bases have. For me, most of my life I’ve spent using the exact same or very similar variations of one password for all of my accounts. I realized that this could be problematic if someone figured out that password but who wants to remember a different password for each of the million accounts we all have nowadays. I mean, if you think about how many accounts you have to create for everything, it makes it seem impossible to even come up with that many passwords let alone remember them all. That’s where LastPass comes in. LastPass is a password manager that can generate and remember all of your passwords for all of your different accounts so you do not have to worry about them. Making different and complex passwords for each of your accounts is really a good idea. With the level of expertise hackers have now, you can never be too careful with securing your accounts and making them as hard to access as you can. We have seen numerous occasions where people’s passwords have been figured out and their identities were at risk. This actually happened to me a few years back when my Facebook account was hacked. I would not say my identity was at risk but having a stranger be able to look at all of my content including all of the conversations I’ve had online made me very uncomfortable. Luckily I was able to recognize the breach quickly and change my password before the person was able to log in again. This experience although very minor made me realize how everyone truly is susceptible to these kinds of things. You never think it will happen to you until it does. Even big companies that pay a ton of money to make sure their systems are secured are susceptible. A prime example of that is the Equifax hack that just happened this year. Attackers hacked into Equifax’s system and had access to the most crucial information of over 200 million people. Now these attackers have access to social security numbers, credit card numbers, birth certificates and basically anything a hacker would want/need to steal your life away from you. Knowing this it easy to see why having multiple different passwords for each of your accounts is very important. However, knowing the issues all web bases seem to be having with keeping their information private, I am not quite sure I am ready to trust a similar web base with all of my passwords to everything. If this LastPass, or any other one of these password managers were to somehow be breached as well, all of my private accounts for every thing in my life would be out in the open for any attacker to see. Call me old fashioned, but I think I’ll take my chances coming up with my own passwords and keeping them somewhere safe where I know only I’ll have access to them.

10. Brian Ayoub September 29, 2017 at 7:28 pm #

Most of the things that you use require passwords. Ranging from all social media’s to online banking to unlocking your devices like a phone or laptop, passwords protect your privacy and serve an extremely important role in keeping everyone’s personal information safe. This is why taking your password seriously is important. When reading “Why You Should Be Using a Password Manager” by Nathan Ingram, he includes Keeper Security’s list of most common passwords of 2016. The top 25 passwords all include easy passwords to quickly type in like “123456” and “555555”. This is exactly what you do not want to do when picking a password for something important like your online banking account, which stores crucial information like your bank account information, phone number, and other privacy invading information. I used to take passwords really lightly and try to make them as short and easy to type in as possible, however with all the hackers and security concerns that have come up to prominence lately, I changed all my passwords to longer and more complex combinations that included upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols. Ingram states that, “As an online security best practice, you need to have long, complex and unique password for every web account you use.” This serves as a security precaution so that you do not make a hacker’s life extremely easy when they try to invade your privacy and ruin your life. Just ask the numerous amounts of famous celebrities that have their iCloud accounts hacked and have their nude photographs leaked. The first criteria that Ingram points out as a necessity is for your password to be as long as possible because the longer the password, the harder it makes the hacker’s job. I typically like to pick passwords that have 8-10 letters, 2 numbers, and a symbol. This makes my password security strength strong. Although it takes me the an extra 5-10 seconds or so to type in my password every time, it allows me to breath easy knowing that my passwords are extremely safe. My passwords fall under Ingram’s “complex” criteria as well. When I add symbols, it adds complexity to the password as well. Ingram likes to call this “password entropy”. I agree that a password you can not pronounce is a password that is good in strength. The more the numbers, letters, and symbols there are, the more amounts of combinations. Finally, the key criteria that Ingram points out is “unique”. Each web account that you have should contain a different password. Ingram believes that passwords should never be reused. I understand this because if you have the same password for each web account then if a hacker gets one password, then they have the password for the rest of your web accounts, which would be a massive problem. I used to have the same password for all my social media’s, but realized how dumb that is when I got into high school. Although it is way easier to remember one password rather than seven or eight, it is way starter to diversify your passwords. This exemplifies the importance of password managers. They not only remember your login information, but also generate random strong passwords. I’ve never used a random generated password, however I acknowledge that they would help out many who struggle to make strong passwords. Overall, I learned that no matter how complex your passwords are, there is always a possibility of getting hacked. Ingram however, taught me three great ways to minimize those odds.

11. Lucas Nieves-Violet September 29, 2017 at 7:30 pm #

While I appreciate the gesture of trying to convince me to get “LastPass” I would rather “pass” on that (no pun intended). I simply don’t think it’s LastPass is a good idea. The truth is I do use the same or similar passwords for most of my accounts, and social media. Additionally, if anyone that reads this article claimed that their passwords were different and hard to find, and you believed them well congratulations because they were most likely lying my friend. The truth is for people or at least young adults, we like when our password are organized and straightforward. We like the fact that they are the same and similar so that we don’t have to go to the trouble of remembering or getting new ones. We pick the same password simply because it makes our lives easier. While this may not be the smartest idea, while I may, in fact, agree that it is stupid, it unbelievably practical and easy to remember.
    I do agree with that fact that hackers have high chances of breaking into all of my accounts since my passwords are similar. However let me ask this question, what happens if hackers hack into LastPass? This issue is the exact reason why I refuse to get any device or extensions of the sort. If hackers can have access to LastPass, then they will for sure have access to not only ALL of my accounts, since the service keeps all password together as indicated but more importantly they will have access to ALL the customers using LastPass. I will say though while I remain skeptical of using LastPass I have seen a few advertisement of the company which means they are trying to expand and gain more exposure so that people could discover the service. If LastPass does explode in popularity, I will reconsider using it, but until then, I am not sure I can trust the service with all of my passwords.
    An alternative to this extension is Evernote. While Evernote is not the same as LastPass, it allows you to type notes and relevant information in an app that can be downloaded or accessed online from virtually anywhere. I am familiar with its function as I use it to store some of my passwords and important information. I found the service to be a great use as you can additionally lock your information by setting password or settings restrictions. I simply rather be in control of my passwords rather than having a machine imputing them for me and changing them every so often. I see so many things that can go wrong with the service that LastPass provides. For example what if an emergency comes and you need to access Yahoo, or Amazon and LastPass is experiencing some technical errors with this servers. In this particular case, there is absolutely no way you will be able to access your accounts as the passwords are extremely complicated and randomized by the LastPass service. You will ultimately be locked out of the service that contains all your passwords.
    I do adhere to the issue of having easy passwords. I must admit as kids I think we have all done it at least once before. When it came to gaming on computers, I used to have passwords such as Lucas 123 or my favorite car with my date of birth after it. Having easy passwords like the one’s provided in the example of the article makes sense in some cases. Maybe sometimes a site will only allow you to see it’s content by signing up, so you put in a random password and an easy one just in case you do like the substance of the cite and want to come back. In the case that you don’t like it, well you don’t have to return to the site ever so having an easy password is just a safety net. Overall having a good password will never be enough, It is impossible to say that you will never get hacked. Hacks occur all the time, and the process of a hack constitutes of a computer or device that inputs random number to try to make a combination, and eventually no matter how complicated the password you will eventually get hacked or are likely to. Even the U.S government couldn’t prevent some cases of a hack during the election reporting that some votes were cast from Russia. So what true defense do we have against hacks ? The truth is none really, no matter where you put your password or store them there will always be a risk of getting hacked

12. Doris Motta September 29, 2017 at 8:33 pm #

I must say that as I was reading this article about the LastPass service, I was completely convinced until the price factor came into play. Honestly, it makes me a bit skeptical to trust a computer software with every single password possibly needed for all my personal accounts. I would be entrusting this software to know passwords I wouldn’t know because it memorizes and saves it for me, therefore why would I need to memorize it? I personally think that hackers regardless of how much security precautions you take, will always find a way to get their hands on what they need. The recent Equifax breach would be a perfect example of this.

Not only did this make me skeptical but it certainly causes great concern for my own self. I did not realize how important it is to have a different password for every single website and again this would be too much of a hassle for me. It would be nearly impossible to have a different one for every single website. I know that is the whole purpose of paying for this service but again I find myself very conflicted to choose to trust a computer software or to take the risk.

When looking at the most commonly used passwords for 2016, I was appalled at some of the choices. One of them for example was google. Someone like me wouldn’t have thought of any of those passwords. However, a professional in that area such as a hacker, would certainly had been able to access those passwords. I am sure that list was compiled by a group of hackers. Although the idea of having a software manage your passwords sounds intriguing, I do not see myself using it because regardless in the world of technology, nothing is protected.

13. KM September 30, 2017 at 6:58 pm #

I must admit that I began reading “Why You Should be Using a Password Manager” by Nathan Ingram with a touch of skepticism. Well, maybe more than just a touch. At first read it appears to be a sales pitch and I assumed it was probably coming from a biased source. However, the article does manage to draw attention to important issues concerning passwords and password management.
    I think that as a society we have become accustomed to the ease of access and somewhat instant gratification that comes with utilizing technology. I also think that we have come to expect a lot of the companies that manage our personal data but forget that we are also responsible to a degree as well. We are outraged when company databases are hacked such as with Target, Equifax, and Whole Foods. Yet what right do we have to be angry with these companies if we are being negligent ourselves by not being willing to take the basic steps to protect our accounts on our own? When you review the list of the most common passwords and see passwords such as “123456”, “123123”, and “password”, it is a little disheartening. On the whole, I wonder if this is how little we really think of our own security. It’s essentially like locking your door, but leaving a key stored under a rock outside your home. While you know the key is hidden in your yard, it wouldn’t take long for someone to find it that was looking for it. With all of the malicious activity occurring in the technological environment, now is no longer the time to think that it will never happen to your account.
    Ingram mentions that we should have a “long, complex, and unique password for every web account.” While I think this is an excellent idea, I realize that there are limitations we face as individuals and our ability to store information. However, I think it is important we adopt a level of accountability to protect our online identity and develop these strong passwords. The inconvenience of remembering a password, using multifactor authentication, or other complex security measure should not be faced by the individual as being a burden, but rather a protective measure. The inconvenience of having your accounts hacked into or even worse, having your identity stolen, is far more inconvenient than taking the time to develop more secure passwords. For some, a password manager will be incredibly helpful and for others, they can manage just fine without one.
    I had not really considered the use of a password manager prior to reading this article but Ingram makes a good case for some to adopt the practice. One feature of LastPass that I think is really important and possibly overlooked by most of us is the ability to designate emergency access to your passwords by another trusted party. By granting emergency access, friends or loved ones will be able to gain access to your account after a pre-defined wait time. When an accident or the inevitable happens, your loved ones/family would be able to more easily navigate the situation by having access to your accounts. This is particularly useful in times such as when a parent or spouse passes away. While there are good points to using a password manager, there is a major downside as well.
    The main downside to using a password manager, such as LastPass, would be the repercussions of a potential hack to their main system. Instead of having access to just one of your logins, now you essentially handed over the playbook to your online identity to hackers. I then wonder how reliable it would be to use their service again to generate all new complex passwords for each of your accounts. There are times that I feel we place a little too much faith in technology. For now, I think I will stick to other measures, such as keeping a password journal in a fire safe box or having an encrypted file on a flash drive, to store my complex passwords.

14. Allen Killiebrew October 3, 2017 at 8:12 pm #

The article definitely opened my eyes in the form of what my passwords are, what different websites may use, and even the liability of using the same password multiple times like the average human being. With everything going on with major companies being hacked and losing a bunch of information it makes me think as to how businesses can lessen this outcome. I know bigger businesses have better, more productive software that is super expensive in which smaller businesses cannot afford the same protection for the data. So what can be changed to prevent different companies form passwords being hacked? When we all think of a password to makeup, we all try to make that password as close to another one we have had or currently have and that is one of the biggest problems. The article made me think of how to strengthen my password, the average human password is a password that relates to themselves, the life they live, and whatever interest them.

Although, a password should never be able to be guessed, people passwords are hacked 24/7. I know personally, I never thoroughly think out a creative “difficult” password. I just try to meet the credentials needed to finish whatever task I need to complete. So I wonder, is this the way majority of people will go about making a password and that is why people get hacked every day or is just because expertise in hacking are unable to be stopped? A password manager seems to be a step to help, from reading I do see that it can help improve the whole password situation for businesses, as well as everyday people passwords. I feel as though it all comes down to the intelligence used to make the password is what will help benefit you most.

15. Eric A October 5, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Although I do not use a password manager, I found this article to be very informative. It can be very difficult to remember every password for every site you use, especially if you take the article’s advice and make every password “long, complex and unique.” Following these rules makes you a much tougher target for hackers. Having strong, unique passwords also means that somebody getting access to one account doesn’t compromise every account. While much of this is common sense, I believe most people (me included) do not follow the rules every time.
    That said, there is a major downside to using a password manager. In an article titled “Pros and cons of password managers – Lee Munson vs. Simon Edwards” Simon points out that a thief looking to steal a lot of information would be smart to target a password management service. He notes that although these services are often encrypted, encryption is not hack-proof. In fact, Lastpass (the highlight of this article) was hacked in the past and led to people’s information being compromised.
    Hacking has become an increasingly large problem in the 21st century. We now do more things online than ever, mainly in the name of convenience. While this convenience usually saves us time (and sometimes money), it also makes us more vulnerable to thieves who have made it their goal to steal information. Password managers can help, but those too are susceptible to attack. It is for this reason that although password managers are relatively safe, I opt instead to write down my passwords in a notebook instead of putting them all in one, hackable place online.

16. Eric A October 5, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

Source for my post:
    “The Pros and Cons of Password Managers.” Comparitech, 18 Mar. 2017, http://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/lee-munson-vs-simon-edwards-on-the-pros-and-cons-of-password-managers/.

17. michael dias October 6, 2017 at 8:15 pm #

As someone who is extremely skeptical when it comes to the words “technology” and “safety” being in the same sentence, I wouldn’t think it wise to use a pass word manager. You are entrusting your security information to a technology based application in order to protect yourself from a technology based attack. That is like trusting a thief to protect you from a thief, hypothetically. What are the odds that the application being used was created by someone with the exact intention of stealing your information? It’s basically a wolf disguising himself as a sheep in order to inflitrate a sheep’s habitat and prey on them without their knowing. The article brings up some good points about the application, LastPass, and its ability to remember and secure your password and security information. However, the formating of the article tends to lean more towards the side of persuasion, rather than informative. It can lead a reader to think something ‘fishy’ is going on. It is and should be the main point for a company to attempt to persuade you to buy their products, yes; but when every single point compares that company to another and how they are better, it seems like they may be hiding something. Something important. Can all of this persuasion as to why they are better be the hook that brings in people that do not even know all of the details on what the company does, and uses this to their advantage by tricking the mass population into giving them passwords and ‘classified’ information? Is this not how scams usually work? The ‘artist’ persuades the ‘client’ into buying or commiting to something, only to scam them and steal their belongings and/or potentially ruin one’s life? So why then should we trust a ‘password manager’ with all of our passwords, without truly knowing their intentions? I mean, there are some that operate with integrity and honesty, but with the ever-growing advancements in technology, it seems there are more using it for evil than good.

18. Ameer Richmond October 7, 2017 at 11:38 am #

There are various ways passwords can be monitored safely, but switching to an online password manager may not be the best choice. In a world that we live in today, everything is done online and passwords are being created everyday. Many of these websites do not offer safe and secure protection when it comes to the factor of hackers. Having an online password manager is just another option for security hackers to have access to every website password you use. That is the issue with the generation of today, they want everything digitized and put into a storage or an open range database. I have the same issue with this as others would, the fact that this can easily be ceased, and they have access to everything at once. Not only that but lets just put into perspective that the website or program crashes, or loses everything, what is going to happen now. My mother is one of those people who taught me pen and paper is the best thing with storage, even passwords. She has a book with everything dated and which website it is, just to make it easier. Although that method may seem obsolete to others, maybe it is better for people to go back to. No one can hack into a notebook.
    I also do agree with the not having similar passwords, it makes it easier for anyone to guess them. Keeping long, complex, and different passwords are less problematic in the long run.The part of the article that does mention common passwords was very interesting to read, growing up I do recognize some of those passwords. But List like that need to be published and broadcast-ed every year, and even websites need to insure that commonality is not like that. Another big issue the article did not touch on but I notice, is personalizing passwords. I believe no password should be too personal to the user, it makes it easy for anyone who really knows you to guess the password. Cyber attacks do happen everyday, but simple methods that were mentioned in the article can help keep the internet safe.

19. Joane L October 7, 2017 at 9:57 pm #

This article talks about the benefits of password manager and provides suggestions for password manager options. Basically, this tool helps generate different complex passwords for each websites you use then stores in an encrypted database. It goes as far as protecting PINs, credit card numbers and answers to security questions. You do not have to stick to one password manager if you don’t like it. Other password managers will allow you to roll over your info to create a new account. But all of this security feature comes with a cost, may be up to $40 a year. LastPass recently waived its monthly fee but if you need more advanced security than a cost will be associated. You will still need to create a master password to create your password manager account. But I do see some issues with having an online service create a password for me. How do we know that the password managers database cannot be compromised. And since the password was created and stored online, it would make it easier for hackers to have access to it. I find that most websites require different password security features, making hard for someone to use the same password for every website to begin with.

I often have to reset my passwords multiple times just for one website because I quickly forgot what I chose for a password. For this reason, I am always writing down password and storing them in my notes on my iPhone, etc. A password should remain personalized and private, not shared info on iCloud or other forms of database. Anything using the internet is not a safe place to store sensitive data, however, we have to take the risk because of modern technology. Any database is as vulnerable as the next, it is just a matter of time to when hackers will finally figure out how to break in and cause more stress to users and consumers alike. All online websites should have stricter password rules, enabling users to create stronger password. In the case of a crash on the password manager service that one uses, how can you access your info when needed? The solution is for websites to take on more security cautions to ensure their protecting to consumers and not sell info to third parties, allowing them to spread more info to unknown sources and putting people at risk of stolen info.

20. Arielle Fortes October 13, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

Everyone wants to stay safe. We have many different ways of protecting ourselves. We make sure that we can protect ourselves when we are walking around or physically protecting ourselves. This is the reason that many people take self-defense lessons or take a martial art to defend themselves. They do don’t wish to get hurt. However, many people do not think about their safety when it comes to things that do not necessarily involve the person themselves. What can you think of that has passwords? To name a few, there is your phone, your computer, your Wi-Fi, or your bank account. All of these things contain something we want protected or we would not have a password there in the first place. However, many people do not often take the necessary precautions that they should. They may think that “no one would ever steal anything from my account” or “I don’t want a large password to remember”. Due to people thinking this way, it is very likely that there would be a loss of information. To keep information safe, it is better to say there are many options and one such option is a password.
    For many people they insist that they cannot remember certain pieces of information no matter how long they try to. Therefore, when a site recommends a very long password that has many different characters in it such as letters, numbers, and symbols; they do not follow instruction or try and get around it. They use a very simple thing that they can remember easily. However, what most people do not realize is that if you can remember it easily, it is very easy to for someone to hack into because they will try the most common passwords first. There are many common passwords such as ‘123456’, ‘password’ and ‘qwe123’ and more. There are more passwords on a list than are listed here. However, if you have a very simple passwords it is easy for a hacker to figure it out. Many people also make a password more obvious than they would believe. That would be because many people base their password on information that hackers can easily obtain such as their children’s name or birthdays. There is also an argument that there is no need for such long passwords since websites can now retain information. But, there is a big problem with that said solution. If you do that and someone actually takes your computer meaning physically, they would have access to your password. However, most people do not think of this and only care about how easy it is to access their account. It is however one of the things that we have gotten used to in live because of how simple life is made for us. With a password manager it is easier to make sure that your passwords are complicated. If the passwords are complicated then it is less likely for the hackers to choose the account since it is not an easy target. In today’s world there are more hackers being active than ever, since there is so much to be gained by hacking. By having so much information that can be used to take advantage of anyone it is easy to understand why hacker desire the information that is essential to your identity.

21. Gabriel Gonzales November 4, 2017 at 9:48 am #

I have always been a huge advocate of writing things down. That is just the way I have been brought up. If information is that pertinent, writing the information down does the best way to retain and file it away know that you have easy access to it. Passwords are in the same category. I have many different passwords for many different sites. Why? This is for my own personal “net” safety. I have been quoted on multiple occasions and stand firm on the idea that the internet is a vast but dangerous place. You never know who is out there or what they are looking to accomplish. I feel, with that in mind, it is important to minimize room for vulnerability when it comes to the internet in general. Having multiple passwords is an easier way of mitigating risk on certain sites that require password protection. People take solace in the idea of privacy settings and when https shows up on the url, but that is not enough for me. Differentiating passwords is a vital part of making any account online. With how many websites ask for personal information, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

This article emphasizes password managers. The assumption is steps were taken to differentiate your passwords to protect from someone using a uniform password across many sites against you. The password manager “database” that they exemplify in this instance is LastPass. It is an integral database of your login information. This already is a major strike for me. If your computer were to get hacked, not only would they have an essential hub where login information can be stolen, but hackers have the potential to obtain other information in regards to your person. They may just have your Facebook account today, but it could be your social security number tomorrow. I’m not saying malicious hacking is commonplace today especially for a regular functioning member of society, but I’m saying malicious hacking might as well be.

Going off of recent instances, Equifax was thought of to be a secure “database”, but then an estimated 2 million people’s personal information was said to have been compromised (i.e. stolen). Although having a password manager, would convenience people who take password safety seriously, they still run the same risk percentage that everyone else without a password manager has of someone stealing their information. As I said the internet is a vast but dangerous place.

22. Jeffrey Khoudary November 10, 2017 at 7:48 pm #

Natham Ingram emphasizes the importance of using a password manager. He begins by pointing out that every few weeks, it becomes known to the public that another major website has been hacked. Recently, these hacks include twitter accounts (such as Trump’s account being deleted one afternoon), respected public-school websites (whose hacker’s posted pro-ISIS content), and credit reporting services (the Equifax data breach). Some of these password breaches can have extreme detrimental consequences for American consumers. For instance, Seena Gressin reported in “The Equifax Data Breach: What to do” that the personal information of over 100 million Americans were compromised by hackers. This includes their names, social security numbers, birth dates, and addresses. As our society grows more and more dependent on the internet, it becomes essential for us to take steps to protect our personal information.
    It is common for my friends and I to say, “my privacy is important” but we are often not going through the steps to protect our personal information. Natham Ingram points out that a lot of people are using the same email address and passwords for many websites. If one of these websites get hacked, the email address and password is on a list of data that will be used to try to log into other websites across the internet. If there is no variety with the passwords, a hacker will be able to access all your accounts. However, this problem can be solved with a free password manager program, LastPass.

LastPass has a variety of tools that can support American’s online security. These include guiding users with creating a strong password, providing a “Security Challenge,” and sharing passwords with trusted friends and family. Strong passwords should be used on every web account. Natham Ingram describes a strong password as being one that is long, complex and unique. The website also has a “Security Challenge” for users to receive a security score. This test checks for known password compromises and reuses of the same password on multiple sites. Finally, LastPass offers emergency access to user’s accounts to specified individuals after a pre-determined wait time. Overall, this program can be very useful in ensuring American consumers internet security.

23. Matt Resende November 11, 2017 at 2:34 pm #

For the longest time I have never considered using a password manager. I have used the same passwords for every website I create an account with. I use a series of characters that I will always remember. Although I have several different variations of the one password, it is not a long or complicated combination of characters. The recent major website hacks like Equifax and Deloitte show that these hackers are capable of anything, and once they are in the system, they can take any information they want. This has made me second guess the passwords I use. The article talks about how if hackers figure out your password for one site, then they are likely to attempt to use it elsewhere. Most people use the same password for multiple platforms, so getting hacked on one site will likely lead to the rest of the sites you use that password for getting hacked as well. The article says that passwords need to be unique, long, and complex. This sometimes makes it hard to remember the password, and if you use multiple passwords for different sites like I do, then you will start forgetting them. That’s where password managers like LastPass come in to make life easier. This site allows the user to store all their passwords in one place. The site is secure, and you need a password to get into it, so you better remember that one. The benefit of using the password manager is so that all your passwords and information on the sites you use are secure. If all your sites get hacked, you then have to go into each site individually and update all your information. What if you do not remember the information for each site? Then you cannot gain access to the site. If you use a password manager, then the chance of you forgetting is erased. I am definitely going to start using a password manager after reading this article and seeing the dangers that lie in the internet world.

24. Sean F November 11, 2017 at 3:47 pm #

One of the courses I am enrolled in this semester discusses what the societal, individual and business implications of technology are for our society and this has been talked about for a few weeks now as it has become crucial to know how to protect against hackers and online thieves. My professor asked the class to how many students use the same username and password combination for multiple websites. He was in shock when the majority of the class raised their hands. He then dedicated that entire class to informing us about why to avoid actions such as that. Password managers can be very helpful and there are different types such as Keychain, LastPass and others that will randomly generate passwords for new websites that you register for. The latter is actually the safest option because with the user not knowing what the password is, that same password will not be repeated and will be more challenging to acquire due to the company’s secure network. He also talked about a website that randomly generates an email username that deletes itself after 10 seconds. This can be helpful when visiting websites and not wanting to give them your good email, for if or when they get hacked, your good email and personal information will be safe and not at risk of the hackers. Especially with the major breaches of the SEC and Equifax, there is no such thing as too cautious for online security. By using these techniques, users would have the extra security necessary to safely browse and register at new websites, with the added benefit of not having to worry about remembering a myriad number of passwords.

25. Anthony Arneth November 11, 2017 at 3:57 pm #

In the age of technology and giving out our personal information to companies and websites without realizing, using a password manager might be one of the best ideas I have heard. Like stated every website we create an account with has all this criteria needed to be met and we all just want to get the process over with and make up some halfhearted password and move one. But we mostly use the same password for other websites. We all hate to admit it but it is true. This password manager with the ability to generate a password for you that Is complex and unique and fits all the criteria is a homerun. With all the identity theft going on today having a strong password and a different one for each website is the smartest way to go. You can even check to see your security percentage. With this you can see just how safe you are.
    My only problem with this would be, is if you end up getting a virus on your computer all your passwords are out the window. They would have access to everything and anything with this password manager. If you were just to remember your password you have a better chance of a hacker not getting all your stuff. But as long as you take the proper precautions this password manager is a useful tool many people should start using. Also it is easy to implement in to your accounts by adding them and changing the passwords. Lastly you can even give someone emergency access to the manager. If there ever is a time where you need someone’s help they can access It for you. In a age of identity theft this is the way to go

26. Grace Galuppo January 26, 2018 at 4:41 pm #

As a person who uses simple passwords that are variations of my own name, I was anxious after reading this article. The article highlights the importance of having different password for every site that someone has an account. Personally, I have an atrocious memory and the idea of creating a new password for every site that I encounter is a scary thought. Although I have the same or similar passwords for my accounts, I feel like I am always clicking the “I forgot password” link that appears under the login. The article introduces LastPass, a free password manager. Before reading this article, I say a similar service on Shark Tank, and I thought it was a great idea that could help many people like me who forget their passwords.
    Hacking has proven itself problematic as its prevalence has exceeded years prior. It is unfortunate that intelligent people who are able to hack information are using their skills to hurt people rather than help them. As explained in the article, if someone uses the same password for different sites and a hacker is able to hack one site then that they could easily get that person’s information from the other sites they encounter.
    Many websites offer remember me pop ups when one logs into their account, which may sound helpful but could pose as a threat to the security of their account. I naively have clicked on the remember me pop up when I first logged into my pirate net account. After reading the article, I now realize that if my account were to be hacked the hacker would be able to look at my school, medical, and email records.
    I have learned that it is important to create long, complex, and unique passwords that can protect my accounts along with my personal information. Before reading the article, I had a note on my phone that held my bank account online username and password, in the middle of reading the article I reached for my phone and deleted it. The article claimed that a strong password was one that you could never pronounce; I am going to use that advice along with using a password manager.

27. Mark Marino February 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm #

After reading the article about using a password manager, I immediately started to research other password managers than that of the article. I found that I have not changed many of my passwords for nearly 5 years. This is alarming considering there are new reports of websites being hacked almost on a weekly basis. Many never think of the vulnerability they face on a daily basis. Passwords, from their existence without first account sign up is emphasized it must be protected with the utmost safety and confidentiality. Many may take precautions but to be fully protected, you must change your password often, and make it complicated.
    With as many websites as we use today, keeping up with passwords, their complexity, and remembering their complexity. Many software services are now offering a password manager that will generate complex passwords, remember them for you, and automatically update these passwords in a set timeframe. This service, for me, can be utilized tremendously. Now instead of many websites having the same passwords, I have complex, and difficult passwords to crack for someone who wants to do so. These systems certainly helps with the security of peoples sensitive information contained within these accounts. Many have their credit cards linked to accounts like Amazon and eBay. These credit cards are another form of sensitive information in which people keep safe with the utmost safety. Credit Cards enter the field of monetary infiltration to a person’s life.
    A question that quickly arose for me was how are the passwords to the password manager safe. This is concerning for those seeking safety in the password managers. Some services offer an offline manager that is not linked to a cloud service or some database that cannot be accessed. Some may argue this is a better option to use the offline version as there is no connection to the outside world. These types of services may not offer the same features as other online services, but it will certainly get the job done.
    Overall, I believe that the security of our information needs to be managed better and the current solution is a password manager. This may not be the long-term solution to many peoples’ password problems but for the time being, this is an excellent solution.

28. Sapna March 2, 2018 at 6:59 pm #

I’ve always been told by my parents to make sure that the only people who knew my passwords to my accounts are them. And I followed this rule, until it became simple things, like unlocking my phone and a friend wanted to use it to call their parents, and I tell them my password. I realize how dangerous it is to let your password out, because it gives access to all of your personal information. My phone is linked to my credit card, which also might not be the best idea because if someone can get into my phone, they have an easier access to my credit card account and can get into there.
    It is also important to make sure that you don’t have the same password for every social account that you have – if one account can be hacked, so can the rest. A tip that my parents gave me was to have the password related to something that only the family would understand, maybe a phrase and some numbers that were significant. I remember my best friend once forgot her facebook password, and I was able to get in, without hacking it. I simply thought of phrases or words that she liked, or that she would tend to use, and I was able to open her account in a matter of minutes. This shows how delicate the system is. It is too easy to get into someone’s account.
    I was told that when anything is free, it really isn’t, we are the cost. Our personal information is taken by the companies and sold to other companies. We, the customers are the profit. That’s why passwords are important, they are our defense from other people getting in, and stealing our personal information. It is important to not have generic passwords, like 123456789. I personally don’t like the idea of using a password manager because if someone can get into the account for that, then all of your personal information is at risk. Everything is under LastPass, or whatever password manager a customer uses, and once that is hacked, then they lose everything at once.

29. Stefan Stangl March 2, 2018 at 10:17 pm #

As it is the era of technology, hacking is new most awarding form of theft. Hackers are the most dangerous form a thieves since most of our information is available online now. All of our smart technologies which we use dalys have our most valuable information that is available to hackers. However, they need to know our passwords. In this article, some of the most common passwords are explained and advice is given on how to protect your passwords. It is best use different characters on top of the letters used. Although, hackers can still somehow manage to get this information. However, they emphasize to use password managers. This will help you generate and keep track of all the passwords but have it change constantly to help prevent theft and keep your accounts safe. In my opinion, hackers are still capable, but it does help. The best advice I took away from this article is to just not use the same password for every site which is very common for most people.

30. Abeeda Razack March 15, 2018 at 9:57 pm #

It is crucial for internet users to safely secure their personal and confidential information. Hackers are frequently lurking websites and creating programs which can potentially enable them to gain access to users’ personal and confidential information. Internet users are therefore taking precautionary measures to protect their sensitive information from being hacked. Password managers has become the most common means of managing users’ passwords for their online accounts. Such programs require their users to add on extensions onto web browsers. When users create passwords across accounts on various websites, password managers prompt users upon logging in, to store their passwords for future reference. They offer website users protection and convenience while accessing their online accounts. But, it is important for users to understand that there is no guarantee that the information created on those programs are entirely safe from hackers. Users are often blindfolded to the fact that the utilization of such password managers create pathways for hackers to gain access to their sensitive and confidential information. The question many individuals ask is, how they will remember these passwords. Website users rely heavily on password managers because it appears to be a convenient method for securing passwords and also allows users to quickly access passwords when needed. However, it is highly recommended for users to utilize other measures which strengthen the safety of their information saved online. There are other methods of keeping track as well as securing passwords from hackers. Physically writing down passwords can be considered as a more secure method of protecting our passwords to our personal and confidential information. Some individuals might be against writing down passwords but it is deemed safer than saving passwords on password managers. Individuals have the option of storing jottings of their passwords in physically safe places rather than in the online world. Writing passwords down therefore reduces the chances of hackers gaining access to personal and confidential information. The general argument against writing down passwords is that if they become lost, risk of others accessing our online accounts increases. However, there are specific guidelines that should be followed when writing passwords down. It is critical for individuals to develop a system which slightly modifies passwords when writing them down and makes them less easy for others to decode. This reduces the chances of individuals identifying specific characters included in users’ passwords. In addition, if it is not absolutely necessary, users should avoid writing their usernames down. If lost, it would be difficult for the individual who holds the information to determine the purpose of what was written down. The general rule is to create different passwords for every website being used. Some individuals may find this task tedious but the overall benefit is far overreaching. When creating passwords, it is essential for users to include at least twelve characters. Possible characters include numbers, symbols, capital letters and lower-case letters. The more character types used, the more possible combinations created, therefore, reducing the likelihood for a hacker to crack the password. In addition, during the password creation process, it is critical for individuals to not include dictionary words into passwords. Dictionary words and other combinations of dictionary words are easily recognizable by hackers. Thus, enabling them to easily gain access to other personal and confidential information saved on online accounts.

31. Timothy Wiamer April 4, 2018 at 1:36 pm #

There have been many cases in the last year where websites have been hacked and people’s personal information leaked. One way to avoid something like this happening is to make sure that you manage your profiles and create strong passwords. There are several companies that actually are password managers. They manage several accounts and make sure that you create strong passwords so it is not easy to hack your accounts. When creating a password there should be several guidelines to follow. Half the time, we don’t think it’s a big deal and try to think of the first thing that comes to mind and use that as a password. We also tend to choose passwords that are easy for us to remember. The problem with this is that if it is too easy to remember, there are chances that hackers can easily guess these passwords. Long passwords are recommended when creating passwords. This is because it takes hackers longer to guess a password that is long. Something that is also recommended is creating a complex password. This creates “password entropy. This is a measurement of how unpredictable a password is.” You know that your password involves complexity when you have to use an upper case, lower case, a number, and symbol. The general rule of thumb is that your password shouldn’t be something that you can actually pronounce. In addition, you should never reuse your passwords. If you use the same email address and password for multiple websites this can cause problems. Your email address and password would then be placed on a list that will be used to try to log into other websites around the Internet. If you use the same password and email address for your websites, now a hacker will be able to log into all of your accounts all at once. This causes an inconvenience because then you will have to change your password on everything. If you sign up for online banking and use the same email and password on that account as a social media account and your social media accounts get hacked, imagine the damage that can be done to your financial situation. This is why several companies have invested in using password management websites and why there has been an increase in these types of websites being used regularly. Many people tend to use predictable passwords that include their birthdays or anniversaries, or even witty and silly passwords that are common. These include: passwords, 123456, qwerty, and 123123. Luckily with all my accounts whether it is banking or social media, I use different passwords. I like when websites make you change your password after a certain amount of days. For example, the Seton Hall piratenet that students have access to requires you to change your password every 180 days and you cannot use the same password as the last 6 times.

32. Pasquale V April 5, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

Now a days, the risk level of being hacked is at an all-time high. As computers get smarter so do the people manning them. While reading this article the writer did an excellent job of instilling some fear into the reader about the possibility of having their information hacked and stolen all because of a faulty password. Having a strong password is so easy to do and can save you a life time of trouble. The article gave the reader many useful tips on how to make and keep a strong password. They suggested using a service called lastpass. Lastpass is a password management service that takes place online. They will help you come up with strong passwords as well as keep them there so you will never forget that password for whatever you may be using that password for.
    I myself feel I could use some of these tips to my advantage. I personally have never been hacked but as I read different articles and blogs I see the threat is becoming more and more prevalent. With that being said I feel that Lastpass would allow me to start being more responsible for my personal information. While reading the article They mentined some of the most common passwords that are used. After reviewing that list it scared me because I use some of those passwords for miniscule unimportant accounts like a magazine subscription, but still it goes to show how easily it is for passwords to be broken. I will use Lastpass so I can have a variety of strong passwords without forgetting them.

33. Dean Spenzos April 5, 2018 at 7:59 pm #

I am one of the people who uses the same password (or a variation) for every account that I have. Every time I make a new account for something and enter the password that I know too well I get a little wary of the outcome of getting hacked on just one of these sites. If someone hacked one of my accounts and got the password then they could easily go into the rest of my accounts and get that information too. My rationale behind using the same password is convenience for me when I login and I think it is complex and unique enough not to be hacked easily. I’ve also believed that odds of someone hacking my account are small because there are so many other people who would get hacked before me. I know this is stupid and doesn’t make sense but that is just what I have always thought. Before taking this class I never saw a dire need for a password manager.
    Last week I got an email from a fitness app that I use telling me there was a data breach and an unauthorized party acquired data from accounts on the app. They advised me to change my password and check the account for any suspicious activity. I actually changed my password and deleted the app all together just to be safe. Earlier this year I received a new debit card in the mail because of the possibility my account, among others, was hacked. Those are two times a large amount of my possible data could have been stolen just in the past few months. If this trend continues I will seriously reconsider which websites and apps I give certain information. I’ve already looked into which password manager I want to use I’ve slowly been changing my password on different sites. The problem is that I’ve used the password for so many sites it will take me a while just to go onto each one and change it. After taking a list at the most popular passwords of 2016 I feel fortunate that I didn’t use something like “123456” or “password” when I was younger. Even when I was a kid I was not foolish enough to use something that could be guessed by a random person. As hacking becomes more prevalent and dangerous I hope I am not too lazy to take further precautions. I know when I get a job after college I will have insurance and bills to pay and I don’t want that information to get hacked. Obviously this is a growing problem that is nearly impossible to completely stop but there are steps everyone should be taking to help themselves.

34. John Martino April 5, 2018 at 9:04 pm #

In today’s society, the importance of password protection is essential to anyone who uses the internet all over the world. Corporations and businesses are constantly under cyber-attack for their sensitive information. Too often, the general public’s privacy is forgotten about on a regular day routine.

Most websites rely on a simple login process for the user to gain access to their profile and in turn their personal information. This article tells us that the best online security practice would start with the creation of a unique, complex password that is different from any existing passwords you have for other website accounts. It makes sense to have versatility in your password choices. If an account does end up getting hacked, one does not want the hacker to be able to enter the same password into other sites to gain more and more personal information. In terms of making the password complex, adding numbers and other characters in can give your password more creativity, making it harder for hackers to gain access. You also shouldn’t use easy passwords to guess, such as “password,” “12345678,” and your name. These are things that anyone from the public could and would try first, making you an easy target to get hacked.

I didn’t know that if a website gets hacked, that your email goes onto a list to be used to try to log into other websites all over the internet. That is an absolutely terrifying concept for me. I have always used a long, complex password for all of my online accounts. While this is a good habit, I never change my passwords or use different passwords for different websites. So I basically have no idea who could have had access to my emails, text messages, purchases, bank accounts, as well as social media accounts. After learning about password managers and how efficient they are in terms of protecting your passwords, I immediately implemented LastPast, an online password manager, for my online accounts. I went and changed all of my passwords accordingly. From here on out, I am going to be able to effectively manage my passwords and not have to worry about my personal information being taken from my online accounts. With cyber attacks on the rise and governments struggling to keep pace with the advanced technological skills of the hackers, Americans and everyone around the world should be using a password manager to stay on top of their cyber security awareness.

35. Tanner Purcel April 5, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

Personally I would be paranoid in using a password manager, as I would be frightened that it would get hacked as well. Ingram explains that LastPass remembers your login information and helps make passwords, while also storing them securely. I am not quite sold on that though, because in this day and age, anything can be hacked. It would be easier for someone to remember their passwords, but I guess that would be hard for those who use many different websites. Also people need to do a better job in coming up with creative and complex passwords.

36. Jesse Rodgers April 6, 2018 at 11:17 am #

In this article it talks a lot about how the use of password managers is what everyone should be using when they need a password for an account. The need for protection on the internet is very much a necessity especially when you have personal information on some accounts online. With technology being as advanced as it is in this day and age hacking has become something that we are starting to see virtually every day. This article does a good job of telling you the advantages of using these password managers. So most websites where you need an account basically just trusts in a simple log in method that some people could see being hacked fairly easy. Now what this article tells us is the best way to go about these, and you can see all the benefits from these password managers. However, to me I have mixed feeling about these.
    I am not completely sold on these password managers as something that I am going to trust 100% of the time. I think that these are just as likely to be hacked as everything else that we need accounts for. Granted I do think that it can definitely help you with security. I just do not see it as something that is going to be completely bullet proof while it has all this information about your passwords on whatever websites and accounts you use or have. In the articles it says that password managers like LastPass store your account information to keep it safe, but to me I am not sure I would want all of my account information from multiple accounts and websites to be in one place. To me it would be more appealing to hackers to attack that rather than going for one account at a time.

37. Olivia Mason April 6, 2018 at 11:28 am #

In class we often discuss how one of the biggest threats we face in today’s society are security-based issue; particularly our lack of security, particularly online. As is the old adage, “When chased by a bear, you only need to run faster than the person beside you.” The same is true for security (generally); we don’t have to have the best and strongest security of everyone (though that wouldn’t be a bad thing), just better security than those around us. Who wants to put the extra effort in to hack someone who’s security is more difficult than the average person? Likely not many. Recent security breaches with megacorporation’s like Facebook, and the Yahoo security breach in 2016 in which 3 billion users’ data was stolen remind the public that this is a very real, and very prevalent problem that could easily affect each and every one of us.
    According to a survey completed by Keeper Security, 87% of those aged eighteen and up reuse their passwords, and 81% of those thirty and older reuse their passwords. Going back to the idea that you only need to be better protected than the average person, by simply having different, unique, and difficult passwords for each site you use, you can greatly decrease your likelihood of being hacked. However, it is quite difficult to remember even a few different passwords, and which one correlates to which website or account. This problem, as outline by the article, is easily remedied by utilizing a program such as Dashlane, 1Password, or (as they recommend) LastPass. These programs create a unique password for each site and remember them, so when you need to log on to a program, all you have to do is open your account on LastPass (or the others), search for the site, and you’re set. These programs also help with another, less talked about aspect of online security: Security questions. Without a second thought many of us provide honest answers, they’re easier to remember anyways, however we often don’t realise that by giving honest answers, were making ourselves incredibly easy to hack. It is quite easy to find out your father’s middle name or mother’s maiden name as all this data is available somewhere on the internet. When hackers get the answer to these security questions, they can then bypass any effort you may have put in by using a unique password by skipping it all together. These password manager programs can also be a place where you store incorrect answers to security questions as well, thus helping to reduce your personal connections to the information. This makes it much harder for hackers, as they know have to either randomly guess the password or security questions- nothing impossible, but again more difficult than the average person.
    Ultimately password managers help compensate for the fact that our online security is increasingly more at risk, and the fact that we as a species, generally can’t combat this on our own by remembering multiple, long passwords and security answers.

38. marcello bertuzzelli April 6, 2018 at 1:22 pm #

The idea of not having to worry about clicking that forgot password button sounds nice, does it not? Essentially, LastPass takes away the burden of having to do that ever again. Not only does this save all of your passwords, but also, it even helps you to generate complex passwords if needed, which will help keep your personal information safe. A very intriguing thought definitely, but it only makes me more skeptical. I believe privacy is everything and was raised in a home where you keep things to yourself if they are important. LastPass claims to provide help in generating complex passwords and saving them because it can often be hard to remember all of them, especially since nearly everything is online and requires some sort of identification login. However, this means you are uploading all of your personal information to one site. The goal is to eliminate hacking and keep you safe, but what if LastPass is hacked? I am not sure I would be able to allow myself to do this, especially since I do not even allow myself to click the remember login due to skepticism. My mother always told me to write things down if I need to remember them, and I firmly believe that. She keeps all of the family’s personal info along with all of her passwords in a calendar book she has had since college. I see her referring to it daily, and that is something that cannot be hacked, stolen maybe, but the chances of that I feel are slimmer and in her power more than in the power of some website. I stand by the possession that hard copies are safer in today’s age. Besides, pen and paper are not yet obsolete; we might as well use them while they are still around.