Who Are We Seeking To Become?

from Seth’s Blog

We get what we invest in. The time we spend comes back, with interest.

The habits we groove become who we are, one minute at a time. A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing.

[And the same thing is true for brands, organizations and movements.]

, , ,

22 Responses to Who Are We Seeking To Become?

1. Guy Barbano April 28, 2017 at 12:00 pm #

Everyone at some point has asked themselves who are they? Or what do I want to be? We all are searching to find out who we will become one day. Or what our life has instore for us. The thing is though if we spend all this time searching to try and find out who we will become. We will never find it. In order to become who we are instead of searching for it is easy just do. If we search and try and become something we truly are not are we investing in our true selves or someone we merely wish to mimic? If we instead do things we want and not what we see other do then we will soon find our true calling and what we should be doing. If you were to examine yourself from 5 years ago or even 1 year ago would you say you have changed? And if so would you say certain actions are the reason you changed or are the way you are? Because of this it shows who we really are sometimes. Habits we enjoy like playing an instrument or a sport shows what we like to do and invest ourselves in. As an example people who excelled at sports sometimes were able to develop very good cooperation traits or leadership qualities. Same for people who excelled at an instrument it shows the quality and dedication and the ability to focus on certain topics or pieces. This are very board and not always accurate assumptions but they show how as a youth the time we took to invest into our own future to see who we really should or want to become as a whole. Seth has a statement at the very beginning of his prompt “We get what we invest in” which is very interesting and a true statement. If you dedicate no time to an activity do not expect to get anything out of it. It is like practicing a sport or studying the more you practice a sport the better you will get at it or same with studying the more you study the better you will do on the test or pick up new knowledge on a topic. With doing that you actually invest time in to things you enjoy and become the person you are destined to be. Not the person you want to be by doing activities that you do not truly want to do. If think if we all were to take a step back and examine our lives and what we have done already we find things or events we did that truly wasn’t us. I am not saying it is a bad thing we all do it. With those events in our lives I believe this is how we find who we are truly destined to become not the image of someone else we see or want to be like.

2. Anthony Laverde April 28, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

I have always been a firm believer in the saying “you are who you hang out with.” The people you are constantly around say a lot about the person you are, the things you like, and they inevitably have some sort of influence over you. That is why click form, social circles. There are the burn outs, the nerds, the jocks, all for lack of a better word, but the same concept applies. We pick are friends based on personality, similar interests, and similar disliked. For example, I knew in high school, who was going to graduate and move on with their lives, and who were going to graduate at stay home doing pretty much nothing of significance for the next couple of years. It was easy to tell based off of what people did, how they acted, and who the hung out with. That is why I am blessed to have grown up with the friends that I did. My small circle of friends consists of about 6 people, including myself. We are all now in college, three of us on track for business degrees, two on track for education, another for psychology, and the last for architecture and interior design. One of my friends and I have already started a business, and have become profitable in our first year. I do not have to constantly bug or hassle him in order to get the things done that need to be done for the business, he just does them, because that is the person he is. We are both driven, and determined to make money and be successful in life at the early age. The other business major is a declared finance major, and he has already secured a job working at bank of america at 18 years old. He also already has an extensive investment portfolio. My three other friends are all currently getting a free education thanks to scholarships on their respective field. The design major is even already getting pair to professionally photograph for some local businesses who liked his resume and current portfolio of pictures (he also loves and is good at photography).

As their lifelong friend since childhood, I want to see them all succeed, as they all want me and each other to succeed as well. That is why it brings me great joy to see us all succeeding and doing well so far in life; we are all setting ourselves up for success in the long run big picture. It is also for that reason that it pains to me see other people who just don not care as much or take things as seriously as they should.I left for college across the country, and people told me that I would come home, whenever I did, and see the same people doing the same things they were doing in high school, nothing! It sucks because they were the exact same people who I could tell would do nothing. And to make things worse, their entire friend groups were also doing nothing, not going to school, living at home, had a job that paid minimum wage, it was sad. It proves to me that we really are who we hang out with; these are the people who influence us the most, we always see them, we are like minded people. Choose your friends wisely!

3. George Tannous April 28, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

At some point we all question what we want to accomplish in life. Who we are looking to be and what are we seeking to accomplish is very important to our identities. This is because we act in certain ways that enable this idea of future-selves to manifest. If we have low ambitions and do not want to go through temporary struggle, then we are only putting ourselves in one position which is to fail and live a harder life. Some people are content with being normal or working in a paycheck to paycheck life, and these people are one’s you do not want to emulate or associate with unless you want to follow their rout. These type of people follow wrong roads and have negative aspirations which will only lead one to one place. As Seth states, we need to surround ourselves with objects and entities that have similar aspirations or identity to what we want to become. If we expect to evolve and become better and smarter, a lifestyle change goes along with it. One cannot go halfway and say they will become a doctor but simultaneously party every night and do wrongful things. Discipline is required for any end result and this means one has to make tough choices in order to become who they want to be. Instead of hanging out with a friend who is constantly promoting negativity and wrongfulness, it is our job to step in and deviate ourselves from these people. It is completely necessary to do so, especially with the competitive world we live in where we need any given edge possible. Instead of associating with a negative person, one will gain more knowledge by talking to someone for 10 minutes who has a drive to become something.
    At times we get stuck on this linear paradigm and do the same things each day without thinking logically. We may go through each day not looking at the bigger picture and just doing what is immediately stimulating. This is a recipe for disaster since overlooking the future means one is not being prepared for the future. In a world like it is today, we need to be as prepared and ahead of the game as anybody else. At any given time one is not only competing with people of their same caliber, but those who are already established. If we are not constantly improving ourselves then we are falling behind because everybody else is improving. It is essential that each day we set personal goals and objectives to fill. This will assure that we are not wasting time by interacting with pointless and negative ventures. Gaining a habit which enables us to become better each day is very important as it will make so much difference. As Seth says, one who practices a banjo 5 minutes a day will be better than someone who doesn’t practice banjo at all. A couple of minutes a day to do anything important may seem like it is pointless but in the long run it adds up. We are investing in our futures when we make sure to stay on top of our gained habits. Commitment to our futures is such an important factor but we sometimes get lost and forget about our commitments. We make promises to ourselves but simultaneously lose track and this is not a good track to be on. Focus and dedication is the key to almost accomplishing everything and anything we want.

4. Nicholas Thomas April 28, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

Seth really hit the nail on the head with the phrase “we get what we invest.” This quote can apply to nearly every aspect of one’s life and personality. People are no more nor less than how they choose to use their time. If one want to be good at playing the guitar, he or she needs to practice; if one want to get a good grade on the test, he or she needs to study. However, these are superficial results in comparison to the over arching question Seth raises, who are we? Is a person’s identity something he or she makes through practice, is a person’s identity something that is needs to be uncovered, and searched for, or is it a person’s “default state” of existing? Our society makes one’s identity sound like something we have to search for.
    From a natural perspective, I believe people are naturally lazy. One’s “default state” is a state where one simply “gets by,” and never puts any effort into what one is doing. It is easy to whine, make excuses, or blame people, including ourselves, and society for why one is the way he or she is. These same people who whine make the excuse that “it is unfair,” and to those people I will say nothing is fair or guaranteed in life. To get to where we want to be, and who we want to be we must practice the qualities we seek. If one want to be seen as patient, he or she must act patiently. If one want to be muscular, he or she must exercise. To Seth’s point, if we practice something every day then that qualities or skill slowly becomes a part of us. Moreover, I would like to add to Seth’s point that people are different from who they were five years ago. While I agree with this point, I argue it further that people are different from who they were five minutes ago. People are different with every decision they make. For example, I was not going to write this journal. I have already done more than the required number of comment blogs, I am tired, and want to sleep, but chose still chose to do this final blog. My choice to do this blog is not some tremendous hardship, but it does add to my dedication to my work and attitude towards school. I argue that I am more “driven” than I was when I was about to pack up my schoolwork. With this said, I think Guy raises an interesting question; does one search of his or her identity or assume his or her identity by doing what one enjoys. I think Guy makes an important distinction between one’s identity and ideal-self. One’s identity assumed by what one enjoys, and one’s ideal-self is what one wants to emulate. I believe the activities, and people one invests his or her time into should be according to one’s enjoyment, not by the advantages one may obtain. I do not think that one’s identity can be found, but is something that is always becoming and being refined. People should simply enjoy what they are doing.

5. Jevon Mitchell April 28, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

We are all familiar with the sayings “You reap what you sow,” “what goes around comes around” and “life is what you make it.” They all obviously have something in common and the fact that they are all so well-known should be self- explanatory as to why they should be taken seriously. This is because they are all so immensely true. You definitely get what you put into life, which is why you must surround yourself with, and output nothing but positivity, to receive it back multiplied. Our lives can be likened to that of a garden. You would not plant harmful seeds or allow weeds to grow in your garden because they would ruin the fruit that you have endlessly worked on maintaining. So just as a gardener must watch what they allow around their garden then remove any weeds once they are found, we must watch who we surround ourselves with because they will play a large part in the continuation of our lives. If you surround yourself with negative individuals, or weeds, your life will theoretically begin to be drained of its nutrients and go in a negative direction. Moreover, this is not a one-time action. At every step of life you must look around and consider what you are surrounding yourself with and how it’s either helping you to succeed or holding you back from what you really want. You just have to sit back and ask yourself “Who am I seeking to become?”
    This also relates back to the Paul Shaffer and Bill Murray pick me up “Happy Street” that was posted to this blog a few weeks ago. In the video, Murray mentions that sometimes it is your perspective on things that needs to change. Having a pessimistic outlook on life will only work to make you unhappy and unable to enjoy life’s simple pleasures. You also would end up blocking your blessings by being unhappy with what you currently have. Living like this will only lead to a miserable life where you constantly dread what you do not have. The reason that I stress this so much is because of happiness’ vital role in life overall. Being happy makes you feel much better, and you want to enjoy as much as you can out of life because it is short and you only get one of them. The law of attraction also argues a similar concept, whatever you consume or put out will attract things of the same nature so if you want to attract positive blessings that is what you must emit. Small habits also play a large part in this too. If you continuously partake in a bad habit thinking that it won’t have an effect because of its individual miniscule effect, these will eventually add up and next thing you know you are a completely different person because these small actions added up.

6. Antoneta Sevo April 28, 2017 at 6:16 pm #

The biggest questions we hear throughout life are “who are you” and “who do you want to become?” At first, they seem like intimidating questions, however we simply just overcomplicate the answer. Seth Godin states that who we are depends what we invest in. If we spend a small amount of time on something every day, we will eventually get better at it. The example Godin gives is learning difficult music on the banjo. If one spends five minutes each day, they will eventually become a better banjo player. He also says that how we behave, the words we type, the people we hang out with, and the media we consume, etc., it all becomes who we are. It defines what kind of person we are and how we will act in the future. If one wants to change, then it starts with their mentality and what they do on a daily basis. The little things truly make a big difference.

I had endured some hard times in early high school and the fact that I surrounded myself with the wrong people did not help me at all. Luckily, I changed my ways and I eventually got on the right path for my four years at high school. I excelled in academics and my teachers and friends always encouraged me to do more. I became the president of a volunteer service program during my senior year. I was accepted to every single college I applied to with scholarships. The friends I surrounded myself with had a similar fate. We all attend a university across the state and some are in Philadelphia. One friend is an aerospace engineer major, another is in computer science and business, one is studying to become a neuro surgeon, three others are in biology and on the road to medical school and one is studying pharmaceuticals. We all pushed each other throughout high school in order to reach our fullest potential. It was refreshing to have people around you with the same interests and drive. I keep in contact with all of them and we continue to motivate each other even when we are not together. We help each other out whenever and that is something I would not have if I stuck to my old friends. I would be in the same town, and if I were lucky, would be attending a small community college. If I did not make those little changes to how I was behaving and whom I hung out with, I would definitely not be where I am today. It is essential to be aware of your actions and how they affect you in your own life. Every choice we make has an impact on who we are as people. By repeating certain small actions, those tend to turn into habits whether good or bad is up to you. I also believe in the quote from Steve Maraboli that says “If you surround yourself with clowns, don’t be surprised when your life resembles a circus.” We all have to be aware and change in order to become who we want to be.

7. Owen Balseiro April 28, 2017 at 7:03 pm #

“You are what you eat.” God if i have to hear those words again, i am probably going to break. But as much as I hate hearing those words, there is much truth to them. As Seth puts it “The habits we groove become who we are, one minute at a time. A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing.” “If you practice five minutes of new, difficult banjo music every day, you’ll become a better banjo player. If you spend a little bit more time each day whining or feeling ashamed, that behavior will become part of you. The words you type, the people you hang with, the media you consume…” It is why we are told “practice makes perfect” We are told from a very young age that if we strive to get good at anything we must practice it a lot. It is why we are given homework, so that we may repeat what we are taught in class. And as Seth puts very well “The difference between who you are now and who you were five years ago is largely due to how you’ve spent your time along the way.” What we chose to do with our free time shapes and molds us into who we are in the future. A personal example is how my friends and I interact. My best friends for most of my life met each other in sports and bonded over insulting each other and videogames in combination with sports. Since I constantly hung out with them, I got quite good at three things. Video games, insults and sports. We can see it a bit better in who our parents are and how they shape who we are. Be it in morals, political views and how we see the world. My Dad for example, doesn’t mince words very much. If you screw up, he will tell you and if he thinks you are doing something wrong he will let you know. And a lot of that has rubbed off on me. While I do not consider myself a conservative like him, we do see several issues like gun control the same way. And that is probably the case for almost everyone. Our parents shape who we are as much as we do. It is only once we get into college do we really get to see what other people think and how that lines up with our beliefs.

How we spend our free time and who we spend it with, greatly impacts who we become in the future. It is literally how we become ourselves. And the best part if that in hindsight we can exactly see how we turned into the people we are. The bad news is that it is not as easy to do in the moment of everything. While we can guess the general location of where we will end up, it isn’t until we end up there, do we know how we got there in the first place.

8. Benjamin Jaros April 28, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

Seth just dropped some profound insight on us. His article gives me reason to pause and reflect upon the very actions and decisions I make daily.
    I recently have been learning guitar. I started by just aiming to play 15 minutes a day. Now I am significantly better at guitar. However, I am not great at the instrument, I am much better than I was two months ago when I started. This line is just resonating with me, “A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing.”
    How often we hear how our daily actions will become our habits, however, how often do we simultaneously ignore our desire to change due to the difficulty associated with learning a new habit. The difficulty however does not come from picking up the new habit, but in changing the old habit to conform to the reality that we desire more.
    Another applicable application I see in this comes from both men and women choosing work and their career over time that they could have spent with their family. How often do we movies or actually know people who choose their career over spending time with the family? Far too often in this country, a culture devoted to praising work ignores praising the most important thing in our lives, our families.
    Another key theme he touched upon is how this applies to not just us, but the organizations we are a part of. If a small thing is done consistently to help turnaround a failing organization, these actions will substantively change the culture in an organization.
    I see all of the failing institutions around me: higher education, healthcare, and respect for life. I wonder if these things will ever see the substantive change necessary that they will thrive. Only through small acts, done consistently will we make changes in this world. We need to love more. Complain a little less. Correction, complain a lot less. The world is changing quickly; however, it does so through small changes every day. Only through following these small actions will we be able to keep up with the changes of modernity.

9. Erin Chan April 28, 2017 at 8:05 pm #

Hobbies are not the skills of survival, nor the means of seeking results. Psychological counseling is not my hobby, but my career, I do not want to consult for the loss of weekend rest and exercise fitness is not my hobby, but I am in order to maintain the means of physical and physical. Hobbies are what you are willing to pay for time and sweat of something, you can step by step to see their progress, but not necessarily to achieve the achievements. He is what you really love, simply like a few days do not touch on the heart itch. There are no other purposes. Many people’s life is not happy, the truth is very simple, that is, in addition to work and consumption, there is no one can become a spiritual pillar of love. Whether it is rock climbing, or playing chess oil painting, or ballet tango, or guzheng harp. People to meet the warm and safe, the need for spiritual world rich. The spiritual world is the basis of the composition of personality, it makes people more clear self-awareness – who am I? What am I doing? Why am I alive?

Some hobbies with social function, bring a sense of belonging, you will really feel that they are a social individual. Climbing, the knot of the group is to deliver the trust of each other’s life; chess, the two sides are competing to explore. Hobbies can be recognized, the recognition of others represents a sense of honor, people will think you have perseverance, wisdom, there is the pursuit. Some people like to be alone, reading, running, skiing, lonely movement to get self-fulfilling. All love is inevitable to pay, or compromise. Hobbies can help people learn how to deal with their needs and external relations. In other words, hobbies let us know how to love. Climbing will be tired, fingers will be worn, from the cocoon; skiing will endure the cold, the piano will be fingers blistering. But because I love, so I am willing to pay these costs. Love is measured by paying, let people know how to pay the relationship with the return. People are more relaxed to deal with their own interpersonal relationships, colleagues, friends, marriage, etc. love is not utilitarian, not at the beginning I want to pay these things can bring me any return. Just just like, miss, so you are willing to pay. So, will naturally get the return on the mind.

I think people are very short in this life but want to build a good hobby time is very long Some people use a lifetime to do one thing and is like something I feel so happy I also want to build my own hobbies But that needs to stick I have to set myself a goal I want to overcome their own difficulties I must do.Everyone is unique, everyone has their own way of thinking, the principle of doing things, this may be due to childhood behavior habits to develop Related to personal experience. Everyone has to pursue, have like and do not like, with the life will happen to some changes.

10. Julian Manzano April 28, 2017 at 8:21 pm #

I believe the mindset that is discussed in this article is extremely true. I have lived by this “you get what you put in” mindset for my whole life, and it has gotten me this far. I believe that if you want to achieve great things, you need to put in great effort, because nothing good in life comes easy, and nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes. This has been instilled in me since a young age by my father who always gave me tough love, so that way I was prepared for the world. The example of the banjo in this blog post is a perfect example of how your actions shape who you become. If you put the slightest bit of effort in trying to learn something hard and new everyday, eventually, you will become great at it. If you sit back and whine and complain about it everyday, you will not gain anything and you will be just a person who whines and complains.
    I feel like Professor Shannon has also taught us through this mindset. This is one of the many things, besides Business Law, that Professor Shannon teaches the class. We, as adults, cannot sit back and complain when something is hard or out of our comfort zone, because then, we will just become useless and we will not learn or gain any knowledge. Instead, we must push ourselves out of that mindset and just push through it and give it our all. I believe, with this mindset and effort, you can achieve anything you set your mind to. How you spend your time is who you become because of this. If you spend time doing productive things, you will, naturally, become a productive person. If you sit around doing nothing, that is what you will become, nothing. That is the beauty and the curse behind life. You need to put effort in to get something out, but if you ask anybody who never showed and passion or effort for anything, they will be the first to tell you that they got nothing out of life.
    In order to achieve anything in life, you need to put your mind to it and understand that if you try hard you can succeed. It sounds very cliché, but it is the truth. If your surround yourself with toxic people and practices, you will have a toxic life, it’s that simple. Knowing this, you have to work hard and put in real effort to get what you want in life.

11. Peter DeSantis April 28, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

“Who Are We Seeking to Become?” This is the title of the blurb on Seth Godin’s blog about our actions and our future. I was drawn to click on the link to the article not solely because I saw that it was Seth Godin, whose work I truly enjoy, but because the title stuck out to me. That is probably so because this is something relevant to my life right now as a freshman in college. I am asked to a version of this question all the time. Usually it is in the form of, “What are you majoring in?” If you really think about it though, this question is essentially asking the same thing. It is, “What do enjoy studying?” followed by, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” or “What is the dream job?” Do not get me wrong, I have no issues with questions like this. Every time I meet someone new on campus, I always ask them what their major is. I like learning about people and the field that that person is interested in is very important to that person’s life so I should be aware of it.

In this article, Godin is referring to something a little deeper than what are you attempting to become in terms of occupational placement. Godin is talking about the type of personality one is seeking to have. Godin is talking about a person’s character in this article. He says that whatever and whoever we surround ourselves with, whatever we spend time doing, and whatever we find ourselves talking about and in what manner will determine the type of person we become. I completely agree with him. If someone frequently attended community service trips on high school, that person will most likely still be a loving, compassionate person years down the road. If someone cursed as a youth and talked about vulgar things that person will probably still be just as fowl and inappropriate in old age. If a college student spends more time partying and drinking than studying, that individual will be just as lazy in their professional jobs.

I guess Godin wants his audience to read this blog post and reflect on their own actions in the past and present. This is crucial for a young adult like myself. I think it is important for me to look internally upon myself and evaluate the decisions I make, the things I do, and the things I say. I want to ensure that I become a hardworking, honest, successful, personable, and intelligent man. To do that I should be introspective and make changes where I determine to be fit so that I can better align my actions with my goals for the future. Landing a job either as a trader or invest banker on Wall Street is only on part of my goals for the future. The other goals consist of making my parents and family proud, paying everyone I know back who has been so generous and helpful to me in the past, starting a family, and becoming a genuine, standup, respectable man. The things I do and the decisions I make now in my college years will either help me to meet those goals, or they will completely crush my dreams. I need to keep this in mind on daily basis. I have to remember the real reasons why I am here at Seton Hall despite what I might desire to do at any given moment.

12. Austin O'Reilly April 28, 2017 at 8:56 pm #

This article really struck a cord inside of me, even though it was so short. His article gives me reason to pause and reflect upon the very actions and decisions I make daily. When he says, “A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing.” This is true for many reasons because your actions over time become habits. Your habits make up who you are and how people perceive you.
    To ben’s point, Very few, if any people, on their deathbed say they wish they spent more time at work and less time with their family. Therefore, a daily habit that I thing is yield through this description is love. Love in small acts is forged into a structure beyond material comparison if created over a lifetime. This was so well said that I wanted to put it in my comment. If you do not spend time with your family, or loved ones, then what are you working for? If you have nothing to come home to or someone to see, I do not see someone being happy. To ben’s point love is a driving factor that is hidden in the underlying factor of this article.

In the end, your actions define who you are and how people think of you. How you act, or how you change your actions define who you are as a man, a father or an employee. No one is perfect, but you should learn from your mistakes.

13. Isaiah Allen April 28, 2017 at 8:59 pm #

The decisions we make every day become part of our identity, and make up our social conscience. Today, students who are my age are generally able to look back at the past and revisits the decisions we have been making. Simple challenges and situations that we constantly find ourselves are tests of our character and help make up the type of person we are. Even though some of the decisions we make every day may seem minor, they are still important in the grand scheme of things. A common criticism of millennials is that we do not look far enough into the future. I believe this has to do with the fact that we have not been alive long enough to truly understand how our decisions today impact our lives way down the line. I believe Seth’s purpose in writing this article was to show us that every good and bad decision that we make today will impact our lives in some way in the future.
    It is important to make sure that every day we are making the right decisions because they have a larger impact than we may think. If we are working hard towards something, every second of effort we put towards it is crucial in determining if we are successful or not. Choosing to study hard, respect others, and stay healthy are all decisions we should make today in order to benefit us in the future. However, by continuously choosing not to do those things we are building a negative image for ourselves that could negatively impact our future. Last year in a Business Ethics course I learned about how philosopher’s related how we behave to building a statue. Every decision that we make over time paints a certain picture of us based on our actions. The decisions we make every day start to form habits that we eventually cannot distinguish. If we continue to make the same decisions over time than it starts to become part of nature and we start to make decisions without even thinking. Smoking is a great example to use because it perfectly represents how impactful our current decisions can be on our future. A smoker that continuously makes the decision to smoke a cigarette is only focused on their immediate satisfaction, rather than their long term health. When a bunch of bad decisions are piled up one after the other, they start to become a part of our character. In life, we have to make sure that we are making our decisions with the future in mind. We must ask ourselves, “How will this affect me in one year? Or two years? Or tomorrow?” Every decision we make will either have a positive or a negative consequence and thinking about that in advance could help us make better decisions in our everyday lives. Anything that we do now which could negatively impact our future has to be eliminated from our lives. Some people only realize that when it is too late, which is why we have to approach each day with the same mindset.

14. Jiaqi Ma April 28, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

I strongly agree with the Seth Godin’s opinion. I like the sentence that he mentioned: “A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing.” Assuming you are not taught throwing the trash into ashcan, you throw it in the street and nobody tells you that you are not correct. Until this has become your habit, someone tells you that you should throw trash into ashcan. Probably you will not change because it has become part of your life. Therefore, I strongly agree with the author’s opinion. I also think that if you want to be successful you should start from simple things. Some whimsical people jealous the people who success. They thought this society is unfair for them. Why they could success not them? They are dreaming about overnight riches. However, they do not know the people who success eventually because they grasped every ordinary chance. For the lazy people, they just wanting for the ‘Big’ chance. However, it will never happen.
    The author also mentioned that: “if you spend a little bit more time each day whining or feeling ashamed, that behavior will become part of you.” In china, there is a word, called ‘Rubbish person’. Usually, they are filling with negative energy. Therefore, there is one word: stay away from the group of people, do not let them ruining your day. In society, it is easy to find this group of people, even some of them is your friend. When you share some good news or good things that happened to you, they always said the opposite side. They usually complain bad things or bad person that they met. however, after a while, you will find that this is other people’s fault. It should blame to you friend. Normally, they could ruin your day easily. Furthermore, I believe everything can change according to the attitude one decides to hold. There are several things that one cannot change, but that is why it is more important to remain calm and try to figure a different way of thinking. I read an article once about two different groups of people. In one of the groups, a story was given with negative words such as “never”, “depression”, “exasperation” and so on. The other group had the exact same story, but the words were a little more neutral or happy. For instance, instead of saying hopeless, the story would say something like “the outcome was difficult to see” and other phrases that did not have such a severe tone. In the experiment, the contestant, or subjects were asked to write a journal entry about the story. Next, they were asked to accomplish some different tasks with levels of difficulty, but most of the tasks could be denied by any of the subjects. It turned out that most people did not feel as motivated as the others because they did not feel as happy or as positive as the other group. The researchers correlated the positive attitude or words with motivation and work. In a sense, this is very applicable to the article. I believe that the mind is a very strong organ that not only controls so much of what we feel but also what we do. I think that most people underestimate the power a positive attitude can have on a person, especially when things are not as easy as they normally are.

In my experience, sometimes being positive is harder to do. It is easier said than done, but when it is done, the results are very rewarding. On of the things, I had to face was the language barrier when I moved here from China. I felt very defeated, and I wanted to go back home. Eventually, I began to realize that there was virtually nothing I could do at the moment but to practice English and attempt my classes. Eventually, things got a lot easier. It was not necessary because school physically became easier, or that teachers began to give me breaks. Instead, it got easier because my way of thinking changed, and that made all the difference.

15. Filip Bizek April 28, 2017 at 10:16 pm #

Seth Godin never disappoints when it comes to making rather short blog posts, which are filled from top to bottom with wisdom. The question “Who are we seeking to become?” is often never answered throughout human lifetime. Nonetheless, it does not mean it is not important. In fact, it is perhaps the most important question an individual can ask himself. Therefore, it is important to constantly reexamine ourselves and depict who we truly are and who we are seeking to become in the future.

First and foremost, such question is much deeper than just a career goal. Although it is impossible to omit a profession choice from the whole equation. After all, full time job takes up one-third of the week when the overtime is taken under the consideration. With this in mind, a large chunk of our life is ultimately dedicated to work. Thus, one should strive to make the right choice and pick a job sector in which the life purpose seems to be fulfilled. Unfortunately speaking, majority of the human population does not have the benefit of spending time and switching jobs until the career fulfillment is actually reached. For example, my mom’s personal desires and characteristics pull her towards home designs; however, the unexpected circumstance in life forced her to become an accountant. Arguably, most people can probably relate to my mom’s situation and make a similar statement. Therefore, those who have the opportunity to actually pick their career should make a wise decision. My mom’s sacrifice and hard work gave me such opportunity and I do not intend to waste it. Going to college has taught me many important life lessons apart from the general knowledge. The biggest of them all is that world does not wait for you to catch up. On the contrary, it almost seems to speed up when you decide to slow down. Without a doubt in my mind, attending a university enabled me to narrow the career paths ahead of me, which in the end helped me save the most precious thing in life, time. Yes, time is that one thing you can never get back. People are so lavish with it while being conservative with the material objects. Isn’t that hypocrisy in itself? We act as if time is unlimited while in fact its shortage appears only when most of the life is behind us and then it is too late to change.

A crucial statement made by Seth Godin refers to the difference between who you are and who you were five yeast ago is largely due to how you’ve spent your time along the way. It is impossible to put enough emphasis on the sentence written above. For example, if one decides to commit full amount of time to corporate business, he or she will not be remembered for anything else. In other words, how we spend time defines who we are. A valuable lesson from my grandfather was channeled to me when I was still no more than a child. My grandfather said, “each year, you should strive to become a perfect human being, each year you will fail to become perfect but you will succeed in improving yourself from what you were in the past.”

16. Juan Landin April 29, 2017 at 2:19 am #

Everything we do and everything that we experience influences us and how we will be in the future. If we continue to do that thing or things, then it will become a habit and will stick with us in the future. This is why we are always pushed to form good habits, because it will not only affect us in the present but it will affect us in the future as well.

From the time we are a child all the way until we are in high school, we are always being pushed and persuaded to form good habits. What are good habits? Good habits are actions that have become normalized to us because we have practiced them constantly over a long period of time. These actions will have a positive direct effect on our lives in the future. These habits can be going to sleep early, not procrastinating, always giving maximum effort, learning new material, etc. These types of habits, as described in the article, help us become who we are or who we will be in the future. This is why it is so important that we adopt useful habits early. If not, then the bad habits that we do pick up can have a severely negative impact on the people we become in the future. Bad habits can have devastating effects on a person throughout their lives.

When people talk about bad habits they are usually talking about not going to sleep early, eating bad foods, procrastinating, and many others. Even though we look at these bad habits as miniscule, they can have very long lasting negative effects on us now and in the future. Let us say a kid, throughout middle school, waits until the day before to do his homework which was due on Monday. For them the schoolwork in middle school is very easy so doing this is not that hard and is not much of an inconvenience. Fast forward to high school, but now this kid has developed that bad habit and has carried it to high school. Now, the work has become harder and it will take a longer time to complete. This student will try to do all of their work on the day before it is due. However, since the work is harder the student cannot finish all of the work on time. This will lead to many grades as zeros. Those grades will then effect his/her overall grade and GPA. It can also affect them later in life as well. Let us say that this student has found a job. Then, their boss tells them that they need this assignment due by a certain date. This bad habit may have carried over with them, and instead of doing their work before the deadline, they wait until the day before and attempts to complete the assignment. They will not have enough time to finish the project, thus risking their job because of their bad habits.

Overall, habits can have a large impact on your life whether they be good or bad. It is up to you and those around you to determine which kind of habits you will form. Based on what these habits are, they will more than likely make you what you will become in the future.

17. Nicolas F Carchio April 29, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

The question of finding one’s self or one’s sense of purpose is often challenging, misleading, and simply seems impossible to come with the answer. Finding one’s self is the process in which a person is able to identify their strong suits, their interests in conjunction with their faults and failures, so that they can truly understand themselves. By understanding one’s self, people are able to find clarity in their goals that they want and are pushing for in their life as well as find fulfillment in their aspirations. The reality is that there are many people who struggle with this concept. Many people are tired of their current situation, unhappy in their work because they cannot find their passion, or simply do not understand why they cannot excel in their school or work environment. Additionally, many people begin to think negatively, as if they will never be able to improve, will continue to struggle and will ultimately be unable to find happiness in their negative minded existence. People must realize that if a person does not understand themselves, then they will not be able to find true fulfillment in their life.

The next logical question asks how one may come about finding themselves or even begin to do this. Many people overcomplicate this concept, by thinking that they must go on an insane adventure or quit everything in their life to start over and find what they want. However, this may work for a select few, but for a majority of people this is simply not the answer. To find one’s self, a person needs to analyze what they are doing in their current situation. They need to identify their family, relationships, job, education, and whatever is in their life, and find their passion whether in these things or in another field. Many people find that they are unhappy in their relationships, often forcing themselves into them. Others find problems in their work life because it simply does not interest them or has become so mundane that they cannot bear to continue. Another common thing that people may do is find their hobby or their interest. These things can lead someone to find a possible successful work career, but most of the time it leads people to finding their own type of happiness. People want to be happy in their lives, and by doing things for themselves that make them happy, they can attempt to find themselves.

In my own life, I have struggled to find my true passion. I had allowed others to force me down a path that I was not entirely comfortable with. The reality of it was that I needed to find my path myself. I need to find the school in which I am most comfortable with, myself. It is my job to find the field that I am most interested in and not the job of parents or others who attempt to pigeon hole or box students in. I believe that in my life now, I have found what I want to pursue, yet I am open to anything that may come my way and I will continue to be confident and positive in everything that I do.

18. Matthew R Ponsiglione April 30, 2017 at 8:16 pm #

This article by Godin really hit home to me. When it comes to practicing something little by little I understand when it comes to practicing little by little every day being a student athlete. It does not even pertain to just sports, as Godin stated, playing a musical instrument, practicing little by little every day will improve your skill. It is all in your mindset. If you do not believe you can do something there is a good chance that whatever it is, you will not be able to accomplish it. For example, in sports, baseball specifically it is filled with many pressure filled, game changing situations. I am a pitcher and confidence is one of the biggest parts of the game. If you truly believe you can get the job done, in anything in life, your chances of doing your job well increase drastically. Godin talks about how you are a different person now than you were five years ago and this is based on many different thing; how you spend your time, who you spend it with as well as other things. One of the things I have learned as a young adult is you can figure out a person and who they are as a person based on one thing; the people they surround themselves with. If you are a person who typically surrounds yourself around troublemakers and people who do not make good decisions I have every reason to believe you are the same way. If you surround yourself with hard working people, who are determined and apply themselves in everything they do, there is also a good chance you are like that as well. Working hard is nothing but a mind-set. This year at Seton Hall a young man had to be cut from the baseball team due to their not being enough room on the roster. He was not the most talented player, but he was a competitor and he was a very hard worker. Whenever practice was over he would stay after and work on things he did not do well. He had to be let go but he is one of the hardest working kids I know and I can guarantee you he will be back out on the field trying to earn a spot on the team next year. His dedication to the little things off the field got him better every day and people began to wonder if he should be on the team, and to us he always has a spot on the team because of how much time he invested into himself to get better. All the things he did to improve himself came back to him and it showed, we all knew he deserved a spot on the team and the pieces just didn’t fall into place for him. Things like this are seen in everything, my passion is baseball so that is where I dedicate myself, but people do this with a ton of things. Musical instruments, performing, school. All these celebrities and athletes that we idolize and wish we could be never had it as easy as we may think they did. They all put in the required time and work to get them to the point they are at. All the “behind the scenes” work they put in is not seen, only the result of it. Working for something little by little is very tedious to do, but in the end, working little by little gets you to where you aspire to be. Nothing is handed to you in this world, everything needs to be worked for, and in the end all the hard work certainly pays off.

19. Amanda Skalski May 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm #

This article from Seth’s Blog really opens up your eyes while being in college. Everyday life for a college student is studying for an upcoming exam or making sure you don’t miss any deadlines. ‘Who are we seeking to become?’ really made caught my attention because recently I’ve been trying to decide that. I get so wrapped up in the school working and not enough in my personal life. When ever we have to do a summary on myself I always forget what my hobbies use to include. Practicing something I’ve always want to try but never finding the time to do so. Practicing can be challenging but the reward is also good in the end. I feel like the more I know something the more I enjoy doing it.
    This article does not just relate to who you want to become as a person but it also relates to the career path you choose in college. The more time you put into studying the subject the better you understand and the higher the grades you get. Understanding is probably the most challenging to me in an unfamiliar subject so I send more time on trying to find different ways to gasp a concept.
    “The difference between who you are now and who you were five years ago is largely due to how you’ve spent your time along the way.” This really opened my eyes to the fact that I will be graduating in a year and what I’ve been doing in college has shaped me into who I am today. It will also shaped me after I graduate into who I will be in five years from now.

20. Jorge Molines May 20, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

We all agree with Seth’s Blog post. “Who are we seeking to become?” is an objective vision about how humans develop their personality and preferences along the way. Depending on how much time we invest on learning about something the higher knowledgeable or skilled we will become about that topic or activity.
    Now, it can also be said that each individual’s habits, preferences or hobbies can be affected by the social environment of each person. Specially, a crucial factor are your parents. It can be affirmed that first, your parents are the ones who seek for you to become something or someone, for sure they will influence your career path and some of the most important decisions in your life. At first, when you are young, they will decide for you and then at some point you will decide by yourself taking into account your parent’s and closest one’s opinion. At some point we all think about what we want to accomplish in life, so a second important factor in order to achieve our goals is the social environment of each person. It is not as easy for everyone to attend College, many initial factors affect this final outcome. Some people enjoy a certain lifestyle and atmosphere which helps and makes relatively easier to achieve a certain goal in comparison to some others, here it is mentioned the College example but there are many others. Depending on the social class we are situated, our probabilities of becoming one thing or another one will vary.
    It is supposed that today’s environment or political system helps and tries to give everyone the same chances to get to a certain point but unfortunately this is not true.
    Apart from the previous external forces that affect individuals on their decision-making process, it should also be taken into account each person’s personality, behavior and individual talent. It is also true that humans have a natural tendency called “predisposition” to do some activities that some other humans cannot do. In my opinion, I think that we need to take advantage of our time in order to discover as soon as possible what we truly love or like. Sometimes, it is easy to find out our hobbies or passions, but some of these ones do not appear so easy, there are some undiscovered passions that we never thought we would like. We need to exercise our natural skills to do things we like, research, get into the deepest point on that topic or activity we enjoy doing and finally think if that is what you need to take as your professional career.
    In my case, I consider myself as a very lucky person. When I first got to High School I did not really know what I would like to do in the future. Fortunately, I was supported and guided into one direction by both my natural skills and also the external forces which surrounded me. First, I was good at numbers and second, I had an excellent Professor in my Economics class. Prof. Pérez is one of the most important people who helped me to choose at a very young age what I would like to do with my life in the future. Finally, my family always gave me chance and support to pursue my dreams, that is for sure another key element. Taking into account that I am from Spain, my family worked really hard in order to give me the opportunity to attend my College education in the United States.
    As a conclusion, who are we seeking to become? Good question, in my case I certainly know what I want to become and a good quote who helped me to get to this point is the following one: “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you truly want to become” Steve Jobs.

21. Antonne Watson May 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

I personally believe that a large number of us don’t actually know who we are seeking to become. We might make certain choices that we never think we would make, or change our lifestyle in ways that are different from our norms. We now live in a world where social media is a big part of a lot of our lives. So big that some people would attempt to dress, talk and even act like those on social media with a huge presence.In today world its hard to be yourself when it seems as if everyone wants to be like one another. Since this problem seems to exist, a lot of people will start to loose touch with what makes them themselves.
    I personally had a problem dealing with this issue back in high school; not so much from social media but from the people who I’ve been around. I grew up in rough neighborhood and went to a high school full of bad kids. I felt like a blank slate…i didn’t know who I was, I didn’t know who I wanted to be, and I didn’t know where I wanted to go. I always kept to myself until the day I decided that I wanted to fit into a group of kids who I didn’t know were gang members. I changed how I dressed, talked a bit differently, developed a terrible attitude with a bad temper and ultimately became what they were. During that period in my life, I discovered my love for music production from becoming a hip hop producer for the group I became a part of.
    During end of my junior year in high school, I stopped being involved with those kids and I started to gain an interest in attending college. Currently, i’m happy with it and I look forward to a professional career in my field of study but I wish I would have kept being serious about music production. I started getting back into music production my sophomore year of college and the love I had for it is coming back stronger than ever.
    Now i feel as if I have two paths that I can go down. The path of having Marketing as my career or the path of having Music production be my career. Although I’m torn between the two, I’m happy for all the events in my life that lead me to wanting to pursue these careers that I enjoy very much.

22. Richard buzbee May 28, 2017 at 7:02 am #

This article is very direct and makes you think about life as a whole. Luckily I chose to join the military at a young age and got to get crucial job experience as a nuclear engineer. After doing this for six years, I had so many doors open and so many paths I could now take. A lot of companies knew what a Navy Nuclear Engineer was capable of when it came to work and ethics. I feel as if I have properly invested in myself to set up for the future. With the work ethics instilled in me though, I feel that I do not take the proper time to think about what I do for pure happiness. I am so caught up with work and school that I barely have time for hobbies.
    I get to talk to many people on the Rider University campus and whenever the question of “So what are you doing after you graduate?” comes up, most have no idea. I think that society has formed a very strict path for people to take and it leaves them clueless when the path ends after graduating.
    If I was to take a step back and look at the progress I made in the last five years, I would have to say I am really impressed with myself. Five years ago would bring me back to 2012 and I was waking up, working, sleeping and repeating. I was not taking the time to develop my life into what I wanted it to be. Over the last five years I have traveled to Dubai, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Hawaii. That would be a long list for most people but that is just my out of mainland travels. I have also done cross country road trips in all four directions visiting every state along the way. I have also been taking college classes at several universities learning anything from programming to calculus to business. It was two years ago that I met my now wife who I happily married to.
    I feel that it is important to constantly set goals for yourself, whether they be professional, personal or emotional. For the next five years I have many goals I want to accomplish. These include finishing up my Bachelor’s Degree in Business and Electrical Engineering, learning Portuguese to better communicate with my wife’s family due to them all being Brazilian, learning more about my job field and lastly buying a house and starting a family.
    Even though I veered a little from the path of normality in this post, I honestly believe that when Seth Godin said “The habits we groove become who we are, one minute at a time. A small thing, repeated, is not a small thing” holds true. I have been trying to learn Portuguese for a few months now and try to spend a few hours a week learning it. Slowly but surely, I have gotten better and continuing to improve. You do not realize the small steps you take until you look down at the flight of stairs you’ve climbed up.