Career Experts Make Over These Mediocre LinkedIn Profiles

from Fast Company

Meet Sarah Sedo, who according to her LinkedIn profile is a food service manager at The Big Carrot. If you’ve never heard of The Big Carrot and aren’t sure what a food service manager does, Sedo’s profile won’t enlighten you right away–because, as personal branding expert and Fast Companycontributor Kristi A. Dosh points out, “Sarah has allowed LinkedIn to automatically populate it with her current job.”

That’s a common mistake, says Dosh. “The headline, to me, is your chance to showcase your personal brand and really stand out in search results.” Those are two distinct yet related challenges, and they apply to the entire LinkedIn profile, not just the headline field. Unfortunately, many people fall short of both, either opting for generic, bare-bones information or leaving a lot of things blank. You want your profile to do more than just recap your resume: It needs to land in front of recruiters in the first place, then grab their attention once it does.

How do you do that? To find out, Fast Company asked three experts to size up three professionals’ LinkedIn profiles and offer a few pointers. Here’s what they said.

, , ,

30 Responses to Career Experts Make Over These Mediocre LinkedIn Profiles

1. Matthew Radman April 7, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

Personal branding is as important as ever. In a society that is moving towards freelancing at a rapid pace, the workforce is more competitive and more of an individual sport than ever before. LinkedIn is perhaps one of the most powerful tools for job hunters, recruiters, or anyone really who is a professional; which will be most people I the coming decades. LinkedIn is powerful as an online resume because it connects people and allows for a far more interactive viewing and search experience. Many online job applications will not only ask for a resume but also for one to connect their LinkedIn profile. Some business even allows an applicant to apply on LinkedIn without a resume at all. Because of its growing ubiquity, LinkedIn has become an invaluable tool for professionals. This article explained some of the most important things to do when completing a persons’ profile.

Personalizing a headline and summary is the initial and one of the most important steps. The headline is the first line of offense for recruiters it is what comes up next to a picture when someone does a search. When a recruiter combs through profiles, they will not waste time opening profiles. Instead, they will look like the headline and decide if a person fulfills the title desired. The summary is the best place to inject personality in a profile. It also functions like a person’s sales pitch for himself or herself. As the article points out, it is the place to let people know what you are known for. I included a memorable first line that leads into a couple of paragraphs explaining my experience and qualities. The summary should be the first section on a person’s page and will hook a recruiter and incentivize them to keep reading and check out your accolades.

The headline and summary should work together to help explain what exactly you have done. Listing what you are is not sufficient; listing what you do is expected. Many people make the mistake of keeping these sections vague and not particular. It is important to be precise in describing what you do and leave no room for confusion; recruiters will not waste time with confusing descriptions.

An area where LinkedIn excels over a regular resume is the inclusion of personality. Especially in the header and summary, one should state who they are and not be afraid to be specific and human. It is refreshing to see a profile that is not afraid to loosen up and be vulnerable. While it is a professional platform, it does and should not be so buttoned up as to appear robotic and generic.

Aesthetics are vital in making a profile stand out amongst other profiles. Recruiters will remember eye-catching visuals, imagery, and an overall clean look. The aesthetics start with a clean and professional headshot. Personally, I took the extra step of adding a custom graphic to my background image. LinkedIn is generous in allowing creativity.

Finally, a professional portfolio is vital. LinkedIn provides many sections that well encompass this like projects, publications, and patents. These sections should include hyperlinks and other content. LinkedIn does a great job at allowing media content. Media content will not only keep a recruiter dining longer but will make a profile stand out as well as showing off work to impress recruiters.

2. Peter DeSantis April 7, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

If you are above the age of 18 and looking for a job or studying at a university, then it is almost necessary that you have a LinkedIn profile if want to succeed in the future. LinkedIn is an incredible, revolutionary platform that efficiently connects employers with adequate employees. Many companies use LinkedIn to hire new employees and some use it exclusively. If you think that employers are not checking LinkedIn profiles before they hire anyone new, then you should definitely rethink the current methods of the employment process. It is a great tool because it is a free and easy way to gain exposure to multiple employment opportunities. The downside is, that every employer is going to view it. If it is not up to par, it can affect whether or not a company considers you at all or whether or not you are offered the job. For this reason, it is crucial that those who believe a LinkedIn profile is essential to have, which should be just about every adult, know how to generate a stellar profile and how to keep it up to date.

In the article “Career Experts Make Over These Mediocre LinkedIn Profiles” by Rich Bellis, I found that the first of the five tips to enhance a LinkedIn profile was the most interesting. Kristi Dosh, who was asked by Fast Company for assistance, says that it is vital to have an eye-popping header and summary. I always thought that the header was just a space designated for job title and the company of employment. For example, Jack Johnson, Director of Research and Development at Johnson & Johnson. Dosh says that the header should be a customized litany of past jobs, experiences, awards, or skills. An example of this is provided using one of LinkedIn’s own employees, Katharine Coombes, whose header reads, “Visionary Talent Leader; Aspiring Mum of the Year; Speed Reader.”

I think this is astonishing. I find that to be a very unprofessional way to express what you do for a living. If I had a blog on a website similar to Tumblr where I talked about the various fruits and vegetables I enjoy eating and posted “artsy” pictures, then I think that a header similar to Coombes’ would be ideal. However, when I am attempting to land an excellent job where I love what I do and get compensated well with good benefits, I do not believe that most employers care about my funny quirks or the little things about me. They may ask about a few hobbies I have during an interview, but that is not something to include on LinkedIn because it will not help me to stand out. I believe that employers would rather me include information about my accomplishments and experiences which would show that I am capable of excelling with them as well. I have to show how I can be an asset to them in order to increase their profits. Quite frankly, I do not think that anyone cares if I am “aspiring mum of the year” or whatever the equivalent to that would be for me.

It is possible that I think this way because I am a business major. Out of all of the profiles on LinkedIn that I have scrolled through, not a one had a customized header about themselves. Everyone I have seen has the title of his or her current job on it. Maybe if I was looking for an opening as a writer, a more eccentric header would be better because that job requires more creativity. For the finance and accounting professions, not so much; everything is analytical and quantitative. I will remember to continue updating my LinkedIn and remain an active user; nonetheless, I do not think that I will ever change my header from the straightforward job title.

3. Nicolas F Carchio April 7, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

Everything is about privacy, until it isn’t. LinkedIn is a platform that was designed to make resume’s more accessible in the ever changing online world. By creating a LinkedIn, a potential employee would use the information on their profile to upload a resume, but also add more that what a resume could originally explain. With the ability to access multimedia, more and more people find LinkedIn a more accessible way to find jobs, potential employees or do research on potential employees. These methods are made possible through LinkedIn. With the platform expanding to almost all job markets, many people now find LinkedIn the normal place to find potential employees. For employees, this can be beneficial, as most employers will be looking to once place. However, this also can have a large effect on how employers view the LinkedIn accounts.

Many people who are either in the market for a job or have a job have created a LinkedIn profile. A LinkedIn profile is useful for updating your information so that the world may have access to it, rather than submitting a new resume every time. It is also useful as people can use things such as multimedia to increase their marketability and demonstrate actual work experience that is both visual and tangible for potential employers. By utilizing multimedia, potential employees looking for jobs or actual employees can upload parts of their work such as projects, art work, designs, deals that they have negotiated and much more to their LinkedIn profile. This gives any potential employer a much better view on what a person has actually done as they can see the quality of the work for themselves. This gives said employers the option to determine if that worker would fit into their company’s culture and if they can potentially have the ability to help them build their company to the next level. Many people, however do not make their LinkedIn profiles professional, and thus do not market their selves properly to employers. In an ever changing technological world, it is essential for people to remember that marketing one’s self has never been more difficult. People now have to compete for jobs against candidates both at home and abroad. This demonstrates why it is essential for people to make sure if they have a LinkedIn, that it is professional, it tells who they truly are, and demonstrates why they are the proper candidate for the job.

LinkedIn is a great site that helps many people to find jobs, however, it is a site that potential employees must be wary about. People need to realize that any information that they put up is subject to scrutiny of whom ever decides to access their information. Those who do access their information will be able to see their picture as well as all the things that are connected to that account. This includes social media accounts that are related to that email as well as the picture of a candidate. Many argue that a picture will actually not help someone find a job, as it can act as a discriminatory factor. People may be more inclined to hire a ‘beautiful woman’ rather than one who is not as pretty but has better credentials. This is why the world of LinkedIn is very helpful, yet must be proceeded with caution.

4. Evan Costello April 7, 2017 at 4:32 pm #

As a college student in a very competitive field, LinkedIn is absolutely a necessary website to use consistently in order to network more productively. This application completely changed the way people look and apply for jobs. I myself have applied to a few jobs via LinkedIn, not just using the website to find a job and then being redirected to a website. Upon applying to this one job in particular at Liberty Mutual, and I had an opportunity to do research on the individual who I was being interviewed by simply by viewing his profile. I do not see this website as optional anymore for anyone about to enter or already involved in the business world. This viewing paradox of LinkedIn is also a double edged sword. An employer can see who has applied for a specific job and then accurately research all possible candidates with the submitted information that is not just given in the application itself. A LinkedIn profile could also show possible employers certain traits, skills, and characteristics alike that an application could not. This article explains the most important parts of a LinkedIn profile and how it could generate more interest when it comes time to apply for a job. I agree with these tips that the author has outlined, like the combination of the header. My header of my LinkedIn profile is a small detailed paragraph about my past work experience and what exactly I am looking for as far as employment is concerned. Also, past work experience is a key characteristic when it comes to being considered for a job. For example, if I were to apply to a finance internship at JP Morgan, and my resume states that I have prior experience in an office setting, I may have the upper hand against another candidate who never has had office or finance experience. Along with that, the more experience one has, the better, even if it is from a variety of different styles of employment. I found the statement in this article “your photo is your virtual handshake very interesting” because in my opinion, that is exactly right. The first impression one gets when meeting the first time is a handshake, and the employer can instantly know just about everything they need to in those three seconds. The same paradox could be applied to the first three seconds an employer takes to scan my profile picture. A resume speaks for itself; they already know everything they need to. A handshake, a picture, a conversation, or a simple way of carrying oneself could easily be a deciding factor in employment. I went to a national convention for my fraternity in Arizona last semester, and there I learned that more often than not, employers would rather hire someone with less qualifications but a better personality that can be trained than someone with more qualifications and a deplorable personality. LinkedIn is just a manner of creating a first impression before the actual first impression, which means that the profile itself needs to be strictly professional and reflective of the user.

5. Hakim Felder April 7, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

In today’s world, the more private the better LinkedIn would be a great website for that. LinkedIn is awesome for a first-year college student looking to explore future career options, LinkedIn is for anybody and everybody who’s interested in taking their professional lives seriously by finding new opportunities to grow their careers and to connect with other professionals. I remember taking my Business law class with Professor Shannon he made us have to make a LinkedIn for purposes he might use later on in the course he wanted all of his students including me to add him on the website and also shoot a message via text on LinkedIn. Having this application installed would absolutely change your life in a good way. It gives you a better perception of people when applying for a job. I have never applied to a job at LinkedIn. However, I had this one friend from my hometown who applied for liberty mutual. He explained to me that he was able to pull up the credibility from the individual who he had the interview appointment within LinkedIn. An employer can see who has applied for a specific job and then accurately research all possible candidates with the submitted information that is not just given in the application itself.
    In the article one thing that stuck out to me was when Rich Bellis was talking about in his third point, he states, the common issue with resumes, too, where enumerating your job duties doesn’t always say what the impact was or what that achievement meant to you personally. But unlike a resume, your LinkedIn profile can be a lot more narrative and informal, saying something about you that your resume can’t.” I can say that I worked for the federal bureau of investigation, which does not mean that title posted on my LinkedIn signifies it proficient in the job or anything. This could lead to people having false perceptions about before even meeting you. It would be better on your linked in profile to add examples of your work just so that you can give the viewer exactly what they are looking for.
    Another thing that was talked about is to make sure where you worked has to be a popular place people know about. Doing this would make the reader more enlightened to view your profile. In the start of the article, it states, Meet Sarah Sedo, who according to her LinkedIn profile is a food service manager at The Big Carrot. If you’ve never heard of The Big Carrot and aren’t sure what a food service manager does, Sedo’s profile won’t enlighten you right away–because, as personal branding expert and Fast Company contributor Kristi A. Dosh points out, “Sarah has allowed LinkedIn to automatically populate it with her current job.” If you did not know what something was about would you honestly attempt to read it? I remember having to do a presentation in my macroeconomics class. First entering the course I had very little knowledge about macro. I’ve learned many things like the economic world having an unequal money distribution. My point is that it would take time understand some if you have not experienced nor did the research to understand.

6. austin oreilly April 7, 2017 at 6:07 pm #

In the very modern era that we live in, it is unacceptable to just have a resume. In order to get employers excited, you must brand yourself with what you have done in the past and how it impacted the workplace. One of the best ways to do this is through LinkedIn, which is a powerful online resume because it enables you to connect to people and allows for a far more interactive viewing and search experience. With the digital era, getting even more reliant on technology, you know the steps to get you linkedin profile lookin good.

Personalizing a headline and summary is the initial and one of the most important steps. The headline is the first thing that recruiters see. It is also, what comes up next to a picture when someone does a search. employers will look at the headline and decide if a person fulfills the title desired. The summary is the best place to inject personality in a profile. It also functions like a person’s sales pitch for himself or herself. As the article points out, it is the place to let people know what you are known for. This is where you can show the employer, who you are as well as what you offer or are good at. Overall, your summary should be the first section on a person’s page and should hook employers attentions and incentivize them to keep reading in order to check more about you.

The article states that linkedin excels over a regular resume is the inclusion of personality. Especially in the header and summary, one should state who they are and not be afraid to be specific and human. This means that you can show employers a little bit about who you are without being so standard and generic. You can professionally say things about yourself that show some personality. WIth some personality and a little vulnerability, your Linkedin will be absolutely amazing.

Aesthetics are vital in making a profile stand out amongst other profiles. Recruiters will remember eye-catching visuals, imagery, and an overall clean look. The aesthetics start with a clean and professional head shot. With a professional picture, employers will get the first impression that they need. If you think appearance does not matter, you are very wrong. You must make yourself look professional and good looking. LinkedIn is generous in allowing creativity, so make sure to make yourself look good in a creative way.

7. Nick Shervanian April 7, 2017 at 7:52 pm #

LinkedIn is an absolute necessity to have as a college student. A resume is just not enough anymore. You have to network yourself in various ways in order to ensure future success. LinkedIn is a powerful online resume that allows you to connect with people through social media. It is a lot more interactive because it allows you to directly be exposed to employers. There are many steps to get your LinkedIn profile to look good. Personalizing a headline and summary is the initial and one of the most important steps. The headline is the first thing that recruiters see. It is also, what comes up next to a picture when someone does a search. Employers will look at the headline and decide if a person fulfills the title desired. The summary is the best place to inject personality in a profile. It also functions like a person’s sales pitch for himself or herself. As the article points out, it is the place to let people know what you are known for. This is where you can show the employer, whom you are as well as what you are offer or are good at. Overall, your summary should be the first section on a person’s page and should hook employer’s attentions and incentive them to keep reading in order to check more about you. It is also important to have a good profile picture. Recruiters will remember eye-catching visuals, imagery, and an overall clean look. With a professional picture, employers will get the first impression that they need. If you think appearance does not matter, you are very wrong. You must make yourself look professional and good looking. LinkedIn is generous in allowing creativity, so make sure to make yourself look good in a creative way. It is all about leaving a good impression on these employers and making yourself

8. Carl Hakansson April 7, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

LinkedIn is a great way to get your name out there, make connections, and show what you have to offer in the job world. Many people make mistakes on their profile however, that can actually hurt their chances of getting hired. It appears that many people simply list their job titles and have nothing to say about them. For most, LinkedIn is treated as a shopping list of prior experiences. There is nothing bad about that, but it is too vanilla. There is nothing about that set-up that will separate you from your competitors. Instead of simply listing past experiences and qualifications, it may be a good idea to put your ambitions; what you are currently known for as well as what you want to be known for. Another good tip is to describe how those past experiences have improved you as a person and a worker, and also how the experiences have changed you. Never let a potential employer guess or assume why you left a job or a specific industry. Instead, describe why you left and talk about your other jobs and experiences in a positive manner. Showing that you are a positive person will help your chances of getting hired because no matter the outcome of your previous jobs, it shows you were able to take something away from it in order to help yourself grow. Another mistake that people often make includes not being clear with who they are or what they do. An important thing to remember is that your LinkedIn profile is a first impression; or, as the article called it, a virtual handshake. It is important that all of your photos and information are clear and appropriate so that potential employers can get a realistic and truthful view of who you are.
    After reading this article, I now see that my own LinkedIn profile can use some work. The tips provided in this article definitely make sense, but they are not always things you think would make a difference. It is always important to keep in mind that considering we live in a technological world now, online profiles have become a viable first impression. We may think are profiles are appropriate and private, but in reality anyone can see them and makes judgements and assumptions about who we are as people. Therefore, it is imperative to make sure that these impressions are positive ones in order to help our chances of securing a job and staying in good standing with connections. A LinkedIn profile can be the first step to obtaining a connection, sending a resume to a company, and/or getting hired by a company. The tips provided in this article or small yet useful tips that will ensure the user makes positive first impressions that will benefit them in the future.

9. Robert Seijas April 8, 2017 at 9:04 pm #

A strongly suggested makeover to LinkedIn profiles of users is a strong sign that the world is becoming a more and more tech savvy place, and that there is a very strong need for individuals to be technologically literate. Technological literacy is not only knowing how to google search or use a computer in the first place, but to be able to make an impact on the world by using technology as well as understand impacts that others are making with technology. Basically, the article that is pushing more customized profiles is saying that people need to understand their impact online, and the fact that more people see them online than in person. That means that the most important aspect to being a marketable employee and finding a job is the profile that represents everything that an individual is, has been, and potentially can be down the line. The importance of being technologically literate, as well as constantly evolving and adapting to changes is an essential skill and not only makes somebody more marketable, but able to fit in with the newer generations and all of society altogether.
    Fitting in with the newer generations is important for everybody, let alone those who are from that generation. There are many acceptable ways to be different and original, but being ill informed in technology is not one of them, because it creates an extreme disadvantage that can end a job or career opportunity before it even begins. Not having a proper profile on LinkedIn, the world’s most popular job social networking website can have serious repercussions aside from simply missing out on an opportunity altogether, such as being looked down upon for a lack of care or competency. Not caring about how others see you, more specifically your profile, can show employers that you do not care about the quality of your work. This is just one of a very large amount of consequences that result from lacking a proper profile.
    Perhaps the biggest issue with an imperfect profile is that it splits users from the rest of the world. Being a part of one’s generation is important, especially since that group shares the most in common and can get along together much more easily. This ultimately makes the weak profile a crutch that almost eliminates networking opportunities, which is the entire reason for having one of these profiles in the first place. The most important thing to take away from the article suggesting positive changes and personal touches is that many people are in need of these changes and that their profiles reflect exactly who they are very poorly. The majority of users are not as technologically literate as they previously believed and are also unaware of this major flaw that could be stealing opportunities from them. It may even be beneficial to check our own profiles, because nobody could be safe from any flaws or lack of adaptation to a new trend or idea. There is most definitely something wrong with most profiles, and it would be in everybody’s best interest to fix them.

10. Lauren Burbank April 14, 2017 at 7:29 pm #

I love reading articles about how to improve your professional online presence. I feel that as time goes on, more and more businesses will rely on the “snapshot” they get of you based on how you present yourself when you don’t know who exactly is looking at you. I have a few accomplishments listed under some of the jobs I worked at and the ones that lack that customization are because they didn’t provide much room to grow (they’re usually the jobs I spent the least amount of time in). I am going to take some of the tips presented in this article to polish my LinkedIn soon.
    I just took on my current role and already people who will be working with me have “connected” with my profile, so I’m hesitant to write anything about what I’m doing just yet because I haven’t really done much. Yet. I will take some time to think about what I aspire to accomplish in this role and make that the first part of it’s description in my profile and then I’ll build on it from there. After reading this article, I already know what I want to make my header photo and I just need to take the shot on Monday and then add it. It’s interesting because the resume I submitted when I applied for this job is a lot more creative and personality-revealing than my LinkedIn currently.
    I created a “Resume Book” for this interview. It included a “Why Me” page specifically highlighting what parts of my personality would benefit the role, a few trivial facts about myself to come off more personable, and my ambitions to go further in the company. I included a very artsy resume, letters from customers & former employers about my work ethic, samples of ways I’d organize my team, and pieces of projects I worked on in my last role. My boss told me that the booklet is what sold him because it was different and gave him a lot of information in an “Easy to Read” way. I need to add that style to my LinkedIn profile without it becoming too casual/informal.
    My concern with LinkedIn has always been that if it wasn’t conservative and more traditional sounding, it would be taken less seriously. I love reading articles from companies who promote a more creative, unique approach on potential employees’ online profiles. It gives me hope that companies will start to value their candidates’ personalities and potential more than sheer experience. Years ago when I conducted interviews with one of my managers, we never moved forward with a candidate who came across as “boring” regardless of their experience. I admired that hiring tactic on my manager’s part and I definitely continued to share that perception as I moved on.
    Passion should be one of the most sought after traits in any employee. There are plenty of people who have the experience but lack the energy or drive to take their work to the next level. Someone with less experience, but high drive will often provide great results when given the tools and opportunity to be successful. LinkedIn is a great way to give employers the confidence that you are that employee.

11. Matt Talarico April 15, 2017 at 2:34 pm #

How one appears to be on paper is a lot different from how one actually is. Today, with the job market being so competitive, any flaw can put off an employer. That is why people are always looking to get ahead, and appearing to be ahead is just another way to distinguish oneself in the market. When employers are looking for people to hire, a lot of the time people are very similar to one another on paper. Any positive distinguishing factor that seems positive can get an employers attention, and format is key.

I really like reading these types of articles. Articles that are meant to help people shape their professional careers are made because people want to help, but it also attracts attention to their site. Anything that people may give out, and seem as good, is probably just to advance their own career. While the advice is helpful for many people looking to further their careers, they are also doing it to further their own company.

Linkedin is a great way to network. For employers, anything that looks attractive can help a person get a job. The article gives a lot of really good tips for creating a much more attractive Linkedin profile. While having a good education and professional career is important for employers, the article explains why being more personal is a great way to establish yourself. Everyone has different motives and different attitudes towards life, and employers are looking for people who can establish themselves as people with good attitudes towards everything they do, rather than people who just get by. Also, I think this article is trying to say that more people should use career experts in their lives because they know what employers want and can help people tailor their appearance to what employers want.

12. Jonathan Cavallone April 18, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

In a society where everyone is so connected and informed, LinkedIn plays a major role in keeping employers and future employers up to date on the people that they are going to be hiring. Because LinkedIn has exploded, there has been a major shift in the way employers find new workers. A 2013 study by the Society for Human Resource Management found that 77 percent of employers are using social networks to recruit, a sharp increase from the 56 percent who reported doing so in 2011. Among the recruiters using social tools, 94 percent said they are using LinkedIn. LinkedIn has also shaken up the job candidate experience for workers of all sorts. Satisfied employees in high-demand fields are frequently getting unexpected nibbles to gauge their interest in new opportunities. Active job seekers might now face increased competition, as they are often vying with candidates who do not necessarily need a new job. The search functionality allows recruiters to sift through members based on a variety of characteristics: years of experience, job title, current or past employer, or even the size of the companies at which someone has worked. They can then send them a message called an InMail or invite them to become a connection. In this article, Sarah Sedo is like many LinkedIn users who does not often update her profile or include a lot of detail. According to Sarah’s LinkedIn profile, she is a food service manager at The Big Carrot. Her profile does not include much more detail than that, such as telling what he role is as a food service manager and does not include any description of the business, The Big Carrot. Your LinkedIn profile should be a place where one show cases their accomplishments and provides information about their employment history. Dosh a personal branding expert provides Sarah with information to help improve her profile. Many LinkedIn users save these details for the descriptions of their roles, but they do not always paint a clearer picture when they do. Where Sedo writes that she “headed department evaluation, strategic development, and implementation of a drastic menu and service overhaul within one year’s time,” Dosh wants to know how she pulled it off and what the impact was. “For example, did the menu overhaul result in a 10% increase in revenue in the first 30 days?” After reading this article, I have realized many changes that I can make to my LinkedIn profile. For example, I could add a picture to the background of my profile to add a little touch about who I am. Additionally, I can be much more descriptive when it comes to describing what roles at my previous jobs. In my profile, I do not include much personal details such as what I like to do in my free time as I was unaware of where to put it. Dosh thinks that everyone should include personal details like this so that your LinkedIn profile does not strictly stick to just work related topics.

13. Anthony Laverde April 20, 2017 at 4:28 pm #

I agree with Dosh’s comments about using LinkedIn to brand the individual person rather than their current jobs and positions. However, I believe there will soon be a shift in the primary purpose of users using the service in the coming years. Due to the mentalities of the new generations like my own and the millennials directly before me, the needs and wants of people are changing. The new age of the workforce is becoming less and less interested in corporate “boring” jobs and have more of an entrepreneurial mindset. Now a days, people are motivated by the thought of being self employed, richer at a younger age, and a problem solver. This is also sparking an unconscious shift of how college students are beginning to utilize their LinkedIn connections, as well as managing their LinkedIn profiles. Below is a link to my own personal account:

I am the first person to acknowledge that about 80% of my connections on LinkedIn are my fellow college students, as is the case most of the time. Without trying to offend anybody, it is safe to assume that more of these student connections have no value to me or provide me with no immediate opportunity…YET. And that is the key. With this increasing entrepreneurial mindset, people my age are focused on meeting as many people and connecting with them as quickly as possible. We are banking on the fact that these people, our contemporaries, will become helpful to us in business ventures in the future. When Dosh said we must promote ourselves as a brand, she must realize that us college students are in fact doing that, just in a slightly different way. We are establishing our brand and reputation everyday with face to face interactions with the connections we are making; this also leads to personal relationships that furthers our brand in the eyes of these people. It is then that we provide information or accomplishments on LinkedIn to remind these people what we have done and what we are capable of doing. We are using the platform as a medium connection, not as a search engine for opportunities.

This method may seem strange or even far fetched to to older people or older LinkedIn users; however, it is important to remember the mentality of these up and coming entrepreneurs. We are unconventional, unapologetic, and we do not like following the status quo. We have created apps like Facebook, Uber, AirBnB, and many more like them because we are disruptors. We are tired of how the way the job market has worked for the past century and we are doing our best to do the most good for the most people, the way we want to do so. Yes, your personal brands are being showcased on LinkedIn (as well as on instagram, twitter, facebook, etc.) but that brand identity begins with face to face interaction, and we are aware of this, and I believe the trend will only continue to grow. The scary thing is, many college students are doing this unconsciously, and their putting these accomplishments on Linkedin is still an afterthought. I do acknowledge that LinkedIn is a great way to promote yourself and your brand to people across the world, while also establishing credibility, but this generation does not believe in being conventional, and nobody should expect us to change anytime soon.

14. George Tannous April 21, 2017 at 12:35 am #

Linked-in is almost vital to have nowadays for anyone who wants to market themselves properly. Having a professional and aesthetic profile could mean the difference between getting a good paying job and being unemployed. I never truly realized that having a Linked-in was important or necessary. I thought not many people used it and it was pointless. Professor Shannon was the one who pushed us to make a Linked-in if we did not have one already and I probably would have gone without one without him. As we move to a world of freelance work and jobs which are extremely competitive to receive, it is completely necessary to get an upper hand in any way possible. Having a proper Linked-in account can make that difference that helps us get hired. Especially in the world today where technology has taken the front seat in our job market, it is always important to market oneself as best as possible through using the resources we have available to us.
    Nearly all of the jobs and internships I applied to for this summer asked to connect a Linked-in to the application. I thought to myself all of the things that Professor Shannon had said in class and that is when I realized how serious he was being. I try my best to make my Linked-in profile as updated as possible since employers are always looking out for potentially job candidates on the website. As this article suggests, we should try to make our accounts as personalized as possible to stand out from the crowd. Having a banner that is unique to ourselves and sharing as much information about our experiences is a great start to having a good profile. Also explaining the work we have done and essentially putting out all of the information that we can provide that would enhance it is a positive.
    I just had a job interview on Friday with Prudential and after the interview was over I asked the talent manager if he had Linked-in and wanted to connect on it. I figured I would ask him to connect with me because I know how important making connections could be. The job market is usually based off of who you know. It is really important to try to connect with as many people as possible. The hiring manager encouraged me to connect with him. Over the past couple of weeks I have realized how technological based the job market has really become. All of my applications and resume details were online for almost all of the jobs I applied to. Just in 2012 when I applied to jobs it was done by paper applications and resumes brought to the interview as well. In the matter of 4 years we have seen large change in the job market. And with the new methods of marketing it is very important to take advantage of them. As the article states, Linked-in is a first impression and a lasting one as well. The headline and information on our Linked-in is very vital for making an impression.

15. Erin Carunchio April 21, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

The number one reason we are all here at college is so that we can get an education. When we are finished with out education and earn our degree, we will be looking for a job. LinkedIn is a great professional site. LinkedIn is an absolute necessity to have as a college student. A resume is just not enough anymore. You have to network yourself in various ways in order to ensure future success. LinkedIn is a powerful online resume that allows you to connect with people through social media. It is a lot more interactive because it allows you to directly be exposed to employers.
    There are many steps to get your LinkedIn profile to look good. Personalizing a headline and summary is the initial and one of the most important steps. The headline is the first thing that recruiters see. It is also, what comes up next to a picture when someone does a search. Employers will look at the headline and decide if a person fulfills the title desired. The summary is the best place to inject personality in a profile. It also functions like a person’s sales pitch for himself or herself. As the article points out, it is the place to let people know what you are known for. This is where you can show the employer, whom you are as well as what you are offer or are good at. Overall, your summary should be the first section on a person’s page and should hook employer’s attentions and incentive them to keep reading in order to check more about you. It is also important to have a good profile picture. Recruiters will remember eye-catching visuals, imagery, and an overall clean look. With a professional picture, employers will get the first impression that they need. If you think appearance does not matter, you are very wrong. You must make yourself look professional and good looking. With technology being everything and social media is very popular, LinkedIn is the social media site that employers are going to look for you on. LinkedIn is generous in allowing creativity, so make sure to make yourself look good in a creative way. It is all about leaving a good impression on these employers and making yourself.

16. John Zarro April 21, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

When creating a LinkedIn profile, one is essentially making an advertisement for themselves. A LinkedIn profile is an online resume that we make ourselves for all other companies to see. My profile is a direct representation of who I am along with who I want to be. Potential employers will see my profile and either like what they see or hate what they see. This type of hiring is what is going to continue as we move along into the technology era. A platform like this will continue to expand and create more opportunities for employers to really divulge into who they are hiring. All job markets will soon be excessively using this platform, therefore we need to enhance our own profiles for our best interests. Face to face interviews aren’t going to be a thing of the future, therefore we have to look at them as a thing of the past.

LinkedIn is great because it can constantly be updated by the user itself. For example, say you change your place of work or the position you hold, you can go on your LinkedIn profile and change it immediately. The creative thing about LinkedIn also is that you can use multimedia in anything you do. Multimedia usage can be very valuable if you ever want to post pictures, videos, etc. Projects could be seen on LinkedIn by using multimedia as well to give employers an even more in depth look as to what you can accomplish or are willing to accomplish. This will now give any future employer a better look at what or who they are hiring making the process all around better for everyone. This will also form competition. By creating competition it forces the competitors to rise to the occasion as opposed to settling. Competition is great because it brings out the best in the people competing. It raises the bar and the best person will come out on top. Overall, with this new sense of competition it will cause employees to work harder for this employer and deliver better results. LinkedIn has the potential to make it visibly clear what an employee has completed and to what degree it was completed on their database.

A problem has arose in the LinkedIn user base. This problem is that many users do not make add professional elements to their profile and by doing this do not market themselves correctly to employers. LinkedIn should set up a simple tutorial that illustrates how to make a professional profile that grabs employer’s interest. The most important think LinkedIn user’s have to realize is that in today’s day and age marketing yourself is more difficult than ever. Jobs are becoming globalized and companies are looking to other countries to perform jobs for them at a lower cost. With a professional LinkedIn profile, you could make yourself more appealing to a large quantity of jobs in a very quick time interval. Also with LinkedIn, you as the potential employee have the power to tell who you truly are and display to employers who you truly are. LinkedIn is a fantastic site that creates infinite opportunity for potential employees everywhere. There are a few problems that LinkedIn as a whole should overcome, and if they do they have the power to change the way people search for jobs.

17. Zion McMillan April 21, 2017 at 4:24 pm #

LinkedIn is a powerful online resume that allows you to connect with people through social media. It is a lot more interactive because it allows you to directly be exposed to employers. There are many steps to get your LinkedIn profile to look good. Personalizing a headline and summary is the initial and one of the most important steps. The headline is the first thing that recruiters see. It is also, what comes up next to a picture when someone does a search. Employers will look at the headline and decide if a person fulfills the title desired. The summary is the best place to inject personality in a profile. It also functions like a person’s sales pitch for himself or herself. As the article points out, it is the place to let people know what you are known for. . There are many acceptable ways to be different and original, but being ill informed in technology is not one of them, because it creates an extreme disadvantage that can end a job or career opportunity before it even begins. Not having a proper profile on LinkedIn, the world’s most popular job social networking website can have serious repercussions aside from simply missing out on an opportunity altogether, such as being looked down upon for a lack of care or competence. Not caring bout how others see you, more specifically your profile, can show employers that you do not care about the quality of your work. This is just one of a very large amount of consequences that result from lacking a proper profile.
    Your LinkedIn profile should be a place where one showcases their accomplishments and provides information about their employment history. Dosh a personal branding expert provides Sarah with information to help improve her aprofile. Many LinkedIn users save these details for the descriptions of their roles, but they do not always paint a clearer picture when they do. Where Sedo writes that she “headed department evaluation, strategic development, and implementation of a drastic menu and service overhaul within one year’s time,” Dosh wants to know how she pulled it off and what the impact was. “For example, did the menu overhaul result in a 10% increase in revenue in the first 30 days?”

18. Andrew Imbesi April 21, 2017 at 5:26 pm #

Connections are quick and simple ways people find jobs all throughout the world. However, if there were no connections, the playing field has become much more competitive. The 21st century poses competition for many young workers, and being able to stick out amongst them all is perhaps the most important asset any jobseeker can have. This drives people to fill up their resumes with substantial work since they are motivated by the competition.
    A solid GPA is great to have on a resume, but how can that be shoved into an employer’s face? Clever ways to develop a resume show that you are an interesting applicant. For example, a high school senior applied to Stanford University and wrote “#BLACKLIVESMATTER” a hundred times in the essay portion. The applicant stuck out to the admissions counselors and was accepted upon this bold resume move.
    Although I do not recommend an approach similar to the Stanford applicant’s, I find these LinkedIn suggestions to be very helpful. It is important to have a representable profile online. I often relay alternate facts prior to disclosing my answer, so this strategic idea of fitting every single little word into a statement is pleasuring since I have more room to explain myself as an applicant or profile.
    When developing an online profile, it is important to uniquely identify yourself as well. I typically provide an appropriate facial picture to my profiles along with a short description of who I am. When there are so many people with the same name (thankfully that is not me), being identifiable can be challenging.
    Other than a picture and description, what is inside the book cover is what truly matters. Updating a LinkedIn profile is important in a sense where your career is always documented. The more times a LinkedIn profile is updated, the more serious that person is about his or her career. Providing as much information as possible on a LinkedIn profile is critical since the more valuable experience displayed, the chances of landing a better job are much more likely.
    However, people must remember with moving toward a technologically advanced world, that LinkedIn is not just another social media website where you create an account and socialize. LinkedIn is made by professionals for professionals and is not a website like Twitter where you typically upload tweets in regards to what is going on around you twenty times a day. LinkedIn is not a game, rather a valuable source in making connections and finding jobs.
    Websites such as LinkedIn will become more and more common over the years with a shift towards technology. No longer, resumes are printed and handed into employers; at the click of a button, employers can learn everything about their applicants in a second. Maintaining a clean and attractive LinkedIn profile can play to an applicant’s advantage whether or not they are proper on the internet. Before the internet tries to expose lies of who anyone is, people should build their LinkedIn profiles so their careers are not destroyed.

19. Erin Chan April 21, 2017 at 6:22 pm #

LinkedIn is a global professional social networking site, concerned about the industry information, learn from the views, learn professional knowledge, enhance the professional skills of these things. Equivalent to the workplace, to increase their circle of people. LinkedIn from the establishment of a total of not more than 11 Year history, but has become the Silicon Valley and even the world’s hottest Internet companies. Unlike ordinary social networks, LinkedIn is connected to professionals, in addition to personal identity tags, the more important is the inside of a variety of professional knowledge and opportunities to share. The purpose is to make the relationship between people more economic value, improve efficiency. The biggest difference with ordinary social media is that you are investing time on LinkedIn, while other platforms are time to pass. And more high-end companies hr company, will be through a variety of channels to take the initiative to find the right candidate, which will be as you mentioned LinkedIn. Even more different social networking platform. If they through your personal information that you fit A Kong a company bit, will take the initiative to contact you or your people around a more in-depth understanding. So someone visiting your information is a good start to prove that your basic conditions meet certain company job requirements.

Professional status presented as a personal file. LinkedIn platform can easily create, manage, share online professional files, a comprehensive show their own workplace. The perfect profile is a successful job search for professional social stepping bricks. In LinkedIn, the profile contains six important parts. First, the avatar display. A clear and generous picture will immediately increase the visibility and authenticity of the file. Show professional image, file views immediately increased by 14 times. Second for career overview. Comprehensive display of professional background, areas, goals and interests. Write “next work plan”. Overview of career status, file views will be increased by 7 times. Third, work experience. Showcase work experience, whether full-time or part-time, provide job-related details so that file visitors can quickly learn about job information. Describe work experience, file views increased by 12 times. Fourth, the educational background. The perfect educational background will improve the competitiveness of personal files, fill in the summer project with the exchange of schools and other information to show a comprehensive self. Fill in the education background, file pageviews increased by 10 times. Fifth, the skills recognized. Add a variety of skills, get contact recognition. The more recognized, the more attractive the file. Display skills, file views increased by 13 times. Sixth letter of recommendation. Invite friends, classmates, teachers or colleagues to write letters of recommendation, which will greatly increase the authenticity of the file. Make skills and work experience more recognized. File views and recommended quantity is proportional. Focus on industry information, learn from people’s point of view, learn professional knowledge, enhance professional skills, share business insight. In the era of rapid changes in the Internet, grasp the pulse of the market, access to knowledge, is to maintain the basis of professional competitiveness. Find your classmates, colleagues, partners, search posts, company information, and explore unlimited opportunities. Establish and expand contacts network, master industry information, let the opportunity to take the initiative to connect with you to help you develop career potential.

20. Guy Barbano April 28, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

My generation and all of the generations to follow can forget about in person interviews and hard copy resumes. Those are all a thing of the past we now live in a digital world that demands the business world and all of the jobs in it to hop on board. Technology and business grow hand and hand when one thing happens in technology the next day it is affecting business. Just look at Linked in it is the new way to hire people and the best part is it is global. Before taking Professor Shannon’s class I never actually realized how important Linked in was. I thought it was just a Facebook for business people to connect. I now know it is way much more than that. Linked in is the future of resumes and job hiring’s. With linked in not only do you get your basic resume online you also get everything else with it. Co-workers to prior co-workers, to family and friends. Again I know it just sounds like Facebook but if you search around and look at who knows who on their, you would be surprised. My roommate was searching around on it one day and found out his old employer was a friend of someone who happen to be running an internship he wanted to get. Made a connection on linked in sent an email made a phone call to his old employer and guess what he got. The Internship he wanted just by spending 15-20 minutes on linked in. In today’s world a digital presence is everything. If you think the way you are seen or perceived to be online does not matter in today’s world you are very wrong are will soon find out the hard way of how you need to realize what should and should not go on the internet. When someone applies for a job employers are all over the place trying to learn about you and if they find all the stuff they do not want like the stupid Facebook photos or some old Myspace account. You can kiss that job goodbye. Linked in is not the only thing employers look for. Everything we do now a days is online from twitter to Instagram. I mean soon in face interviews will be a thing of the past due to linked in and skype. With linked in you can find anyone across the globe looking for a position or someone hiring for the job you want. With skype now a days too. Forget flying across country for an interview anyone. Now all you have to do is hop on a skype call and boom you have your interview without leaving your couch or desk from home. The business world and technology is amazing and will keep amazing me as time continues to go on. I can only imagine what will happen next. Linked in is just one of the many new and important things out there.

21. Kathryn Allen June 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm #

As a college student who is actively looking for jobs on LinkedIn, this article is extremely helpful. I’ve heard it before in past classes but never really knew how to brand myself. The point of LinkedIn is to help you standout from the crowd. It’s hard to find a job and you need to do what you can to look the best. A good headline is key, its what people see first so it needs to be good. Along with your summary and job descriptions, there should be what you did and achieved and the result of your hard work. Having a resume that is too technical is boring and doesn’t give a feel for the person behind it. I am someone who isn’t very comfortable talking about myself and never know what to say. I never thought of having a colleague write a recommendation on my profile. That could even be better than writing something myself because other people may view you differently and can discuss your work ethic and personality.
    I also almost always neglect to add a banner photo on my profiles. Banner photos make the profile look more interesting and less ordinary. Along with banner photos, I forget that I can add examples of my work. I get so concerned with the writing and making sure I have all my accomplishments and skills down. Before this I thought I had an average profile but now there is definitely more I can do to stand out to recruiters. I think LinkedIn profiles shouldn’t be something to stress over, its an opportunity to show yourself off.

22. Lauren MacArthur June 16, 2017 at 11:56 am #

The ability to build, maintain and leverage personal business networks is an important skill. Business networking sites including LinkedIn have become valuable tools to build, and later mine, business relationships. From students creating professional online profiles to seasoned business executives looking to build online eminence, the site has become the most prominent of business networking sites. In this article, experts present five strategies to building better LinkedIn profiles.
    In regards to the first strategy the article offers great examples on the personalization of an individual’s headline and summary. Instead of having a headline that plainly states what an individual does the article suggests sprucing up a headline by showcasing the “skills, awards, or personal elements that would be interesting to a recruiter”. Also having a customized summary is important for professionals to distinguish an individual’s strengths.
    The second strategy suggests that adding a biography will allow professionals to comprehend the importance of an individual’s experience and achievements. Experience should be explained in detail, allowing others to have a clear picture of an individual’s previous history. This is also the chance for individuals to set themselves apart from others in their field by highlighting their professional accomplishments and explaining the foundation in which lead them to achieve them.
    The third strategy suggests that an individual explain who they are in a more informal way than their resume does. I especially like how the article states, “shift from just describing a role to describing the actual human who’s in it”. I firmly believe it is important for any basis of a professional relationship that other individuals have a sense of the other person’s personality. As human beings we all have our own individual uniqueness and that can be a great quality to bring to the professional atmosphere. Through personal interactions individuals can get a sense of another person’s personality however through the internet you only can get a sense of an individual by their writing. Therefore it is extremely important for individuals not only to express themselves professionally but also with a sense of personality so that others can get a feel for the human behind the writing.
    The fourth strategy offered by the article is that individuals do not “skimp on aesthetics”. Most do not consider taking a headshot to be important however having a professional headshot can make a large difference in how individuals view a person. Therefore it is important to have a professional headshot taken and have it utilized in the profile.
    The fifth strategy is adding examples of work and while adding multimedia may seem difficult for some professions, the article suggests adding screenshots that depict the work to give others a better sense of the work they do.
    LinkedIn offers professionals the ability to showcase their work experience, highlight their work achievements, and connect with other professionals in their field. The suggestions in this article should be kept in mind whether creating a LinkedIn account or critiquing an already established account, as they can boost the “norm” and set an individual out into the spotlight.

23. Donovan Morris June 16, 2017 at 10:50 pm #

The site of LinkedIn allows people to connect to potential employers as well as with other colleagues. It is a site of networking for professionals that allows their resumes and as well as their selected personal information to be shared with potential employers. In the article it explains five different ways that will improve the LinkedIn profiles of people to make them more interesting to recruiters. The first thing that should be improved is the headline of the profile as this makes the profile seem more appealing. The title is supposed to showcase specific talents that the specific person has that sets them apart from the other people in similar fields. I think this is important because it shows that more time has been spent in preparing a profile that is unique and innovative. This also shows initiative and attention to detail which I believe to be very important in the workplace. Secondly, preparing a descriptive explanation of the jobs a person has undertaken will allow recruiters to accurate paint an image of the type of person they will be hiring. Certain accomplishments should be explained in full detail that explains how their accomplishments have impacted the company that they work for and what that impact has created for the company. The profile should also show the passion of the person, showing why they were in that career field and what is motivating them to stay in the career field. The photo of the employee can leave a lasting image of who you are even though nothing has been exchanged between the employer and the potential employee. A photo should be engaging and should show an employee that is eager to work with others and create a positive change within the company or try to make sure that the company is meeting all of their goals. Lastly adding example of previous work accomplished allows the potential employer to see how they could fit in to the new company. The format in which they finalize their work and as well as language, can be used to gauge how current employees would respond to the new hire. Making sure a profile represents the full picture of a person is important as recruiters try to make sure that they are picking people that will most likely remain at the company long term and will add value to the department in which they will be working.

24. Emma Lupo September 12, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

In recent years, the business and marketing oriented networking application has played an important role in personal branding. Today we live in a world where social media is more prevalent than ever before, and making a professional LinkedIn profile is the first step towards landing the perfect job. Your LinkedIn profile is the very first impression a potential employer has of you, so making sure your profile is relevant, detailed, and up to date is imperative. A standout profile will communicate with the LinkedIn world what you can offer to the world. A majority of recruiters and employers looking for new, up to date individuals are looking at LinkedIn profiles, groups, and blogs. The more involved you are with the LinkedIn community, the more likely it will be that employers find you and reach out to you. If a recruiter comes across your page, that is great, but that is only half the battle. What is important is getting them to stay on your page, and want to see more of what you are presenting. The goal is to make them want to get in touch with you. It is easy to tell right away whether a person has put in a lot of work on their profiles or not. This makes the job easier for employers, because if your profile is lacking, they will move onto the next eligible candidate.

In the article “Career Experts Make Over These Mediocre LinkedIn Profiles”, the author Rich Bellis discusses five simple but effective points to take your profile from mundane to vibrant. The first, and perhaps the most important step in spicing up your LinkedIn profile is your headline and summary. This is easy to overlook, considering it is usually something that is done quickly when first opening up an account. Customizing your own headline is the wisest thing to do, since nobody knows you better than yourself. This will be the very first aspect of your profile that employers see, so make sure it is brief, but suggests your strengths in a few words. The more unique your headline is, the more likely it will grab a recruiter’s attention. The headline and summary should work together to create a brief explanation of what you do, and what kind of jobs you are looking for. Employers will not waste time combing through profiles, so the headline is one of the most important aspects of your profile. I like to think of it as the first impression with an employer. Sometimes, if a profile is detailed enough, recruiters do not even require a resume to be submitted with the job application. If you want a specific job, your title should reflect that exactly. This way, when employers go to search for new employees, they will find exactly what they are looking for. Listing just what you are will not be effective. Listing what you do is expected, and a more sufficient amount of information for the employer who is doing that particular search.

Even though your headline and title are important, and the first piece of information that the person searching does, the summary is next in line. Once an employer finds what they are looking for and once they are engaged in a profile, the next thing to look at is the summary. The summary tells the employer again what he does, but in greater detail. This is the section of your profile where you can show more of your personality. The author explains that even though a majority of LinkedIn users do have a summary, not everyone knows how to write one well. As the author says, “precision is key”.
    One aspect of the LinkedIn application that I like, which the author points out, is that even though it is a professional outlet, it can be more informal than a resume is. This is your chance as a potential employee to show who you truly are, with less of a filter than you have to have during an interview or on a resume. Something else that is commonly left out on profiles is the reason that a person wants the job that they list. It is one thing to list all of your qualifications for the job, but if you can personally relate to it, it gives you a more competitive edge that employers may find interesting.

Not only is the written aspect of your profile important, but your profile picture is the first thing employers will see (along with your headline and summary). Your profile photo should be professional, and reflect who you are. It has been proven that people who use a profile picture “receive up to 21 times more profile views”.

A LinkedIn profile is essentially a virtual resume. It is important to add examples of the work you have done. Even if you have had a job in a particular field before, there is no other way for employers to know just how qualified for the job you are. LinkedIn can show employees everything you want them to know that you cannot include on a resume.

25. Brian Ayoub October 20, 2017 at 8:58 pm #

Just last month I went to my first Career Fair. I thought I was well-prepared. I dressed well, filled out my resume nicely, and carried myself confidently. However I was missing one important component that all the firms asked me about: a LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is basically a social media for the adult world. That adult world is where I am going to be when I graduate. However, to get ahead of the game, I needed to create one right away. So I went to the LinkedIn website and made an account. I have yet to add to it, and have zero connections. This article talks about the do’s and dont’s when it comes to make a LinkedIn profile. The first tip is to make a standout headline and summary. The basic title “Accountant” or “Public Speaker” will not stand out to employers browsing thousands of future employees. You must be unique when putting out your headline. Something like “Visionary Talent Leader” stands out and separates you from the pack. A key aspect for LinkedIn is to make sure you tell your story with your LinkedIn profile and not let other people define your brand for you. It is important not to just list jobs that you have had before. You must let people know what you are, what you want to be, and why you are special compared to the next profile people view. If you go above and beyond to make your profile special, then you might just make a connection with an employer. Maybe that employer will have gone through a similar experience to you and relate. There are millions of people that have gone to college and have the same bland accounts. The experiences and stories that you have to share is what is going to separate you from the pack. Employers will appreciate a good story. Another key is to describe what you do, not just say it. If you say you are a contractor and list jobs you have done, give a description of what you went through and steps you took to succeed. This way, viewers of your profile will know more about your skill set and know why you are valuable. If you just list things that you have done without context, then employers will not know what you have been through to achieve in your field. Finally, the article describes a LinkedIn profile as a “virtual handshake.” This is why it is important to make sure that your LinkedIn profile sets a high professional standard. You must have a business friendly profile picture because people will first see your picture and first impressions are key. You can not have a picture that shows you drinking at a club or you playing soccer. You have to have a picture that clearly shows your head shot in a professional manner. All in all, I will take these tips and try to incorporate them into my bland and empty LinkedIn profile. Hopefully employers will get to see my uniqueness this way and I will stand out.

26. Andre Bakhos November 2, 2017 at 8:20 pm #

The rise of social media as a factor in job recruitment is a large one, and can make or break the chances of landing a dream job. When a recruiter at a company wishes to find out what a potential employee is really like, they will snoop through their various social media accounts, namely Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. These social media platforms are home to many posts that would upset the chances of landing a job, as they include vulgar language, inappropriate pictures and posts, and pictures of partying. Since the employee is a representation of their company, employers do not want negative social media accounts shining a bad light on their company, and damaging their reputations. Therefore, many recruiters recommend that if you wish to land a great career at a prestigious company, all negative photos and posts on social media should be deleted.
    However, all social media is not a bad influence. The professional networking platform, LinkedIn, is a great tool to use when trying to establish yourself as a professional in your field. How does LinkedIn work? People sign up using a login and password, then create a profile based on education history, employment history, degrees, side activities, and anything else that they feel will boost their marketability. After their profile is complete, they have the options to connect with millions of other LinkedIn users, to grow their network and gain useful contacts. Users can endorse skills that other people in their network have on display, message people, and even recommend other users to each other. Since LinkedIn is growing quickly in popularity and reputation since its introduction in 2002, more and more employers are using it as a means of judging a candidate.
    Since this is the case, a job candidate must make sure that their profile is top notch, with many useful contacts, and interesting articles that they may share with their network. For an inspiration on how to create your profile, think of it as an extension of your resume, and let it reflect what is on there, but also, what you cannot include on your resume. For example, in my LinkedIn profile, I have a professional profile picture, a bio that describes who I am, some of my abilities, and other facts about me that may be beneficial to a company. Since I cannot include a one hundred word description of myself on my resume, it was placed on my LinkedIn, so that those I connect with will be able to read it and have an idea of who I am. LinkedIn also allows you lots of room to elaborate on your experiences and goals, which is something that recruiters wish to hear, but is not available to put on a resume. This is really your chance as an aspiring professional to brand yourself as unique, and separate from the rest of the crowd.
    Since resumes are usually black and white, except for maybe a graphic designer/artist, LinkedIn is really the place to get creative and aesthetically pleasing with your profile, while also staying professional. A professional portrait of yourself as your profile picture, then a more artistic or minimalist picture as your cover photo can really do wonders to spice up and improve a profile.
    Anyone who wishes to have a prestigious career, but does not know where to start, should create a proper LinkedIn profile that describes who they are, what they want to do, and other important information. It can be a great bridge from an introduction to the reading of a resume, then interview, and ending with a job offer. If you are going to concentrate on any social media as a professional, LinkedIn is the prime choice.

27. Nicholas Kerins November 6, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

LinkedIn has become a great resource for those looking for jobs and those employers looking to fill those jobs. Its purpose is to connect employers with potential candidates. It can be likened to a workplace Facebook. You have a profile picture, put up information about you and can send a friend request. But like most social media fads its used by millions, which is good and bad. Good because you can connect to hundred potential jobs across all markets, but bad because you can get lost in a crowd of similar faces.
    The Article “Career Experts Make Over These Mediocre LinkedIn Profiles” by Rich Bellis is a step by step guide on how to improve your LinkedIn profile. It covers common mistakes and general tips on how to make it look more professional. This article directly applies to me as I recently created my own LinkedIn profile in hopes of landing an internship for the summer. When reading this article there were many times when I caught myself making the same mistakes the article warns against. Build a Brand and don’t skimp on the aesthetics, are two of the biggest tips I took away from the article. My summary on my LinkedIn page has no text. The article suggests telling what positions you have filled and your passion for it in a sentence which seems like a lot but is possible. The example they gave was “Publicist; Writer; Public Speaker; Corporate attorney turned national sports business analyst,”. This shows passed accomplishments and the word “turned” shows an ability to adapt to new roles. With hundreds of applicants applying for the same position, you need a short to the point sentence to send you on to the next stage. Another way to catch the attention of employers is to have a polished looking Profile. Whether we like it or not employers will judge a book by its cover. To play along even if we don’t agree with this sentiment our profile should be displaying a professional photo of yourself. The article cites that “Your photo is your virtual handshake, and members who include a profile photo receive up to 21 times more profile views,”. As millennials we created these different platforms like LinkedIn to make our lives easier, it appears it has gotten out of control and become a main source of job connecting. I don’t believe LinkedIn will ever replace the importance of interpersonal skill and nailing an interview, but if keeping up with the newest trends surrounding the job market gives me a necessary edge then why not play along.
    The other responses to this article had similar thoughts on LinkedIn’s role in the job market. They express how it’s a digital first impression, and acknowledge how marketing your personal brand is important. I didn’t look at LinkedIn as a personal branding site but after reading the interpretations of the other commentators I can see how when looking for a job you must almost create a brand around yourself. By listing your skills and past experiences you are creating a product and the packaging that surrounds it is your profile picture.

28. Isabel Grullon Ramirez November 10, 2017 at 10:00 pm #

As the market for jobs becomes more competitive, can LinkedIn give someone a competitive edge? LinkedIn showcases past and present jobs, and an individual personal brand. However, many individuals who are joining the workforce are not taking advantage of this tool or are using it incorrectly. Experts recommend a couple of ideas to make a person LinkedIn profile stand out from the rest. Personalizing a headline and summary, for example, is crucial. As recruiters, and potential freelance search through this website to get more information it is important to show a person’s best work and image. A personal headline and a summary can grab the attention of a recruiter and help an individual get their desired job as well as telling others what do you know and what are you good for. LinkedIn excels in giving employers more than a resume can, it can show more than a list of duties of an individual. Given that it allows a person to give a brief summary of who they are, they can add details to show their achievements doing such task.
    One of the other takeaways from this article would be the importance of a good LinkedIn profile. More than ever, employers are relying on information that they can gather from a person online. It is worth to take into consideration that this profile has up to date and accurate information. If employers cannot find a person’s profile or they have the wrong information, they may not take that person into consideration for the job. Furthermore, this is why it is important to make this profile as unique as it can possibly be, using information such as detailed information of who a person is, examples of work, a personal headline and summary as well as clear description of what a person’s role in their previous job was.

29. Ameer Richmond November 10, 2017 at 11:16 pm #

There are always new ways to market yourself in the career world. The ways to get your name out there now is endless. One of the newer more popular ways of displaying your work ethic’s is a website called LinkedIn. This is a new way many people connect to help find jobs, display resumes, show what experience you have. But is that enough? Can just throwing together a simple resume, adding a fancy Facebook photo, and a couple job displays get you a new job? The answer to those questions are no. Just like any other job market, you must try and display that you are not only fit for the job. But you are the best man for the job. The article explains the importance of making many changes, and even how to better your profile if you have one.

The tips this article mentions help give the audience a better way to promote your page and help get a job. In a time like Today, this is really important. With everything going digital, companies are using things just like LinkedIn, Facebook and many other platforms to thoroughly look at potential employee. I agree with the main tips the article has to offer. There are many displays and acts in order to prove that you are not only ready for the job world. But ready to prove why you are the perfect fit for their program. Which is ultimately why LinkedIn works out better than other countries. Simple improvements help show that you are not only fit for the Job, but to make an point that you are the best choice for the job. Simple things like: cleaner resumes goes a long way in LinkedIn. As technology grows so will the ability to change how resumes and job forces look to find employees. After all, you are marketing yourself for the best possible outcome for the job market.

30. Cristina O. November 11, 2017 at 1:16 am #

With so many recruiters utilizing LinkedIn’s network of jobseekers, taking full advantage of your profile to differentiate yourself is of utmost importance. My profile is definitely one that could use a makeover. Having joined LinkedIn extremely early put me at somewhat of a disadvantage. As the platform matured, more features became available. Since I haven’t actively been looking for a new job in the past few years, I’m sure I’ve missed out on some opportunities by not taking the time to update my information or dress up my profile.

I like the suggestions made by the experts. Using the headline and summary to personalize your profile with something more than a job title is great. When I first put my information together, most LinkedIn profiles looked more like what you’d find on someone’s resume. But then, I always thought it was difficult to try and get everything across with a few bullet points. Having a way to express your passion for your work and your aspirations is a great way to attract prospective employers.

After reading this, I’ll not only be making some changes to my LinkedIn profile, but also sharing with my husband. Who knows what opportunities might pop up?