I Wuv You Wobot!

from kottke

Rayna is a small child who thinks this hot water heater looks like a robot and she is determined to say hi to it and tell it that she loves it. THIS IS THE CUTEST THING OF ALL TIME THAT IS NOT THAT PHOTO OF OTTERS HOLDING HANDS SO THEY DON’T DRIFT AWAY FROM EACH OTHER WHILE SLEEPING. In the future, when humanity is on trial for the mistreatment of machines, our randomly assigned legal algorithm will introduce this video as Exhibit A in our defense. I like our chances.

, , , ,

17 Responses to I Wuv You Wobot!

1. Jevon Mitchell April 6, 2017 at 8:36 pm #

This video honestly shows the true purity of small children. The video shows Rayna, who cannot be any older than three years old, mistaking a thrown away water heater for a robot. Instead of being scared of the robot and running away Rayna continuously greets the robot, eventually hugging it and saying “I love you robot!” in a tone of unmatched cuteness. This video warmed my heart and even that of many others. One comment mentions: “even my icy, child disliking heart was momentarily melted by the adorableness of this video. While I can agree with this, I believe that there is deeper symbolism present within this video.
    What I think the video could symbolize is Rayna’s generation’s acceptance and willingness to embrace technology. I was born in 1998 and basically grew up along the side of present day technology, but in a way, my generations, and those before us, were not very accepting of technology. As a child I actually remember being afraid of robots and technology, whereas on the other hand, Rayna’s generation is very comfortable with embracing technology and love it rather than being scared of it. Because I was born right before 2000 I spent the first few years of my life fearing that robots and computers would soon take over the world at the turn of the century. Though I believe that if I was older, this idea would not have even been thought to have been true for the slightest moment, but I wasn’t, so it was terrifying. This was only one of the reasons that I believe there is a gap between our generation’s relationship with robots/ technology.
    Movies such as iRobot and Terminator also played a large role in our fear of robots and technology. This was probably a large part because of our fear of the unknown rather than the actual possibility of these science fiction acts of occurring. For example, in iRobot, robots lived alongside humans as intelligent beings that couldn’t disobey the laws of humans, until a defective model came around. When this model arrived it broke all of the laws that humans set, thus it was doing everything that humans feared. As far as the Terminator, the T-1000 terrorized my dreams as he could morph, reform and heal himself when any type of damage was inflicted upon him. This scared me because I thought that if robots were indestructible, as he was, then the forthcoming war against robots would be a tough one where we stood little to no chance.
    Rayna’s generation didn’t grow up with this pop culture nor will they experience the uncertainty that came with the change of the century. They are instead set to grow up with technology and it is quite possible that she may encounter real robots that she can hug and talk to within her lifetime.

• Joshua Luchon April 7, 2017 at 8:29 pm #

Jevon, I’d first like to say I really enjoyed your perspective on this video. It’s interesting to see how people respond to videos like that and give it a cool spin. I agree with you that the video speaks to the purity of small children. There is something so innocent about Rayna when she mistakes the water heater for a robot, you cant help but smile. I read the comments as well and it seemed to bring joy to even the people that claimed they hated children, further speaking to the power little kids have to make us laugh. I thought your analysis of younger generation’s acceptance of technology was spot on. I was born in 98 as well so you and I had very similar experiences with robots and how we were introduced to technology. I remember as a kid I loved to run extension cords all throughout the house and plug in as many things as I could get my hands on. I had my “special outlet” which evidently wasn’t wired into anything so there was no electricity running through it, but I loved playing with electronics just the same. I can remember my first experiences with robots being in video games when they were evil as well as in movies like terminator and others when the robots were starting to go rogue and take over the world, planting the seeds of skepticism and distrust of robots from the very beginning. It is very interesting to see the differences between how you and I react to robots versus Rayna. You and I may be more hesitant if not outright afraid of robots whereas Rayna sees a robot, immediately smiles, and says she loves it. The age gap falls right over the time period where robots became more commonplace, especially for children through movies like WALL-E. That movie came out in 2008, when you and I were 10-11. In my opinion, by the time WALL-E came out, it was too late to change my mind about the inherent evil that I associated with robots. Rayna however, is somewhere around three years old now making the most recent representations of robots much more friendly than when you and I were her age. I think its safe to say that at 19 years old, I’m over my fears about robots taking over the world, but during my most impressionable years, robots were evil. The last line in your response caught my attention as well. You wrote, “They are instead set to grow up with technology and it is quite possible that she may encounter real robots that she can hug and talk to within her lifetime.” That resonated with my because I have been doing some light research on a company called Luka, which basically has the ability to give Rayna the warm response she was hoping to get from the “robot.” Luka is a technology company that specializes in AI, more specifically in emulating the conversational behaviors of someone long after they died. How it works is you upload as much text as you can find written by one person, alive or dead, and the software analyzes trends and habits to design the bot that has the ability to carry a conversation. The conversations are remarkably accurate and can respond in very nuanced ways including sarcasm and guilt. This is no Siri 2.0, this technology is truly amazing. If you were interested, I’d recommend reading about it because it’s really amazing what the personalized bots can do. I was also thinking about how when I first heard about Luka I was skeptical and I wasn’t sure I was on board with the technology. I imagine that given the opportunity, someone like Rayna would love to have a conversation with a robot and probably wouldn’t be hesitant like I was. That brings me back to how the difference in age comes with a completely different perspective on robots and technology in general. While there aren’t any robots that I know of that give good hugs, there are certainly robots that can hold conversations but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a hugging robot in the future.

2. Jiaqi Ma April 7, 2017 at 11:33 am #

People always say that childhood is the most pure and innocent age. Their behavior is symbolic of human instincts. Rayna’s behavior reveal the fact, which is technology is not horrible. Back to 19th century, when it first came out many people regarded ATM as a dangerous. They thought that this machine would make counter staff lose their jobs. However, facts speak louder than words. The effective of bank improved dramatically. People do not have to wait a long time for cash. Counter deal with more intelligent business, which is the preliminary artificial intelligence. Furthermore, chase bank, bank of America are developing a new technology based on an automatic teller machine. In the future, you will not need to insert your card to withdraw money. ATM that chase bank is developing support Apple Pay or Google Wallet, which means that the users open the app and tying passport then cash will come out. With this technology matured, we do not afraid of card is swallowed. It is also not afraid of the information of the magnetic stripe was copied by criminals’ device. Our privacy will be protect.
    With technology improved, people try to find more ways to liberate people’s hand. Robots replaced the simple and low-skill jobs. Because of technology, human’s life quality has improved. Now, with the globalization of artificial intelligence, more and more people fear that humanity will become robots. Furthermore? they are afraid of that humanity will be replaced by robots. However. Rayna’s action tell us that technology is not horrible and robots are not horrible. Recalling our memory, why you afraid of robot? Maybe because of movies and fictions, for the film’s effect it publicized that the robots have the ability to consider and robots threaten humankind’s existence. Without that background, technology is not horrible. It is hard to deny that film exaggerated robots. However. Publican concern is reasonable. In there, I want to quote a sentence in “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”: “we are fickle stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction.” I also afraid of that one day, humanity will not be needed by mmachine. Uber, google are developing self-driving; a new company in New York is looking for a chip that could put in humankind’s brain, which will improved our effective; In Chinese province, Dongguan, there is new factory where they do not need any labor. We do not need driver; we do not need worker. What we need in the future? There are still some people with low-skill and poor educational background. What kind of jobs that they could do in the future?
    I hope that humankind should be rational to cope with this problem. We should not be excessive panic about artificial intelligence, as the same time, we should be more careful about what we developed. Einstein did not think that his theory was used to create nuclear weapons. Alfred Bernhard Noble improved explosive. His intention of this invention was tried to help the worker. He did not expect that human would use his invention to create a weapon. He was regretted for this invention, therefore, he created the Nobel prize. All of those facts tell us that we really should care about our development. Our original thought is good. However, it will be used in another dangerous way. It is not correct to reject technology.

3. Antoneta Sevo April 7, 2017 at 4:21 pm #

The age of robots and greater technology is not too far off in the future. However, this little girl, Rayna, thought she had met one of the robots that will be among us soon. Her reaction is priceless, as she believes that a water heater is a friendly robot. She goes up to it and hugs it while repeating “Hi robot” and “I love you robot” in the cutest voice imaginable. Everyone knows that little kids are the most innocent and honest humans on this earth. They are pure and see the truth in everything around them. Therefore, when Rayna embraces the “robot” it shows the comfortability with the idea, which is needed considering how close we are to that era. It is something that all humans have to accept whether they like it or not. For those who are skeptical of the robot and technology age, they can use this little girl as inspiration to embrace change. In order to be successful one needs to welcome the revolution and be able to adapt accordingly.

I remember watching I, Robot as a child and it absolutely petrified me. Today, when I see robots who look like humans it also scares me. In the movie, Del Spooner is investigating the death of one of his friends and he encounters a robot that can dream, keep secrets, and disobey the Three Laws of Robotics. The characters have never met a robot like it before and people wanted to destroy it. They believed the robot with more abilities was responsible for the death. However, the AI system present in the deceased’s workplace was the real culprit. Either way, advanced technology, like what was shown in the movie, scared me as a child. The movie was set in 2035, however today these machines can already change their facial expressions, reply to questions, move their eyes and many other things. Just like there are good and bad sides to humans, the same applies for robots. Yes, they will probably take over the world one day, but in the meantime, they could help out the world in some ways. It makes sense that the current and older generations are skeptical about the robot era, but the new generation seems to be embracing it. I believe that is because the most of the current generation did not grow up with everything being technological in their early childhoods. The same applies for the older generations. However, with the younger age group, they have been using iPhones and tablets since they could remember. That is why I think they are more enthusiastic. It is refreshing see this approach when it comes to the new technological age that we are approaching. I do not believe that I will ever been one hundred percent okay with seeing lifelike robots, but I will have to accept it, which I have. That is what everyone else must do. I hope that Rayna can continue to embrace new technology and teach others how to as well. It would help our future because we must greet the new age while being cautious at the same time.

4. Nicholas Thomas April 7, 2017 at 5:39 pm #

I think we should all take after Rayna and “wuv” our robots. The video is simply a young girl hugging a water heater, that she thinks is a robot, and telling it that loves its and the article itself seems to offer a playful joke about a world humans have to defend themselves from machines in court. However, in a strange way the video and article reveal a lot about several technology related issues, such as the extent of technology immersion, the “technological takeover,” and abuse of technology.
    In my opinion, the fact that Rayna recognizes the water heater as a robot is a victory for technology as to say that technology has developed far enough that robots have become an everyday commodity. For good or bad, technology has become so integrated into our lives that it is expected to have a certain level of technology, and in the eyes of Rayna that level of technology is casually seeing a robot outside. Technology has become such a dominate focus point of our culture that we cannot survive or grow as individual people or society without it. However, that is not to say that people will grow as many may expect to. Advancement of technology has usually been driven to improve convenience and assist in certain circumstance; however, what about those technology inconveniences. For example, technology has already developed to the point that many “blue collar” jobs are being replaced with AI’s, or at least the meaning of “blue collar” jobs is changing. In a very subtle manner, the article jokes about people needing to be assigned a “random legal algorithm” to represent them in a court of law, but this begs the question of how long until technology replaces “white collar” jobs with AI’s. So technology may not help people grow as workers in a particular field, but it may help people understand humanity more. However, if technology can replace a field such as law with a generate AI, that may imply that people will become so dependent on technology that some people expect it solve our problems rather than help solve our problems. But what would happen to those who simply cannot afford to keep up with technological advancements. For example, and I do not like this term, what about “third world” countries that literally do not have the technology countries such as the U.S. have, are they left behind? I may be over analyzing the video of Rayna telling a “robot” that she loves it, but I think people should follow in Rayna’s example as to love, respect, and be thankful for the technology that many of us are used to. I do not actually believe that there will be a “terminator” dystopia in the future if we do not respect our machines and other technology, but we should disregard the benefits technology gives us. For example, I would hope none of us would use our laptops as floor mats. Maybe we should not “wuv” our technology, but we should be respectful and thankful that we have it.

5. Owen Balseiro April 7, 2017 at 7:19 pm #

Well if this doesn’t show why kids can be the most adorable things ever, then I don’t know what to show you. This video not only makes you go “aw, look at the cute kid doing the cute thing.” it also kind of amazes you that a kid that age can recognize something that remotely looks like a robot and it shows that we as a species are getting pretty advanced.

My first cell phone was when i was in 7th grade and it was a nokia. A trash cell phone that could just do calls, texts and maybe play bejeweled and take pictures. But that was all I needed, sure it would take me pressing the “1” button 3 times to get the letter “C”, but i did not need any more functionality, I was in 7th grade and I just needed to call my mom to tell her I was done with soccer and needed a ride home. Fast forward to me finishing up high school as a senior and my youngest sibling, my 2nd brother now has his first phone, the latest iphone. And looking back on it, we have gotten more and more comfortable letting our children interact with technology on a very regular basis. It took my until my 3rd cell phone till i was allowed to get an iphone and I was probably one of the last kids in my grade to get a smart phone. The same holds true for the other two siblings in my house, they all got iphones earlier in their lives than i did. And that signifies our growing acceptance and reliability on technology. We have gone in a short time from a culture that is ok with technology but doesn’t want to make in be apart of everything to a culture that wants to see if robots can start showing emotions. And that is a pretty large 180 degree turn around. Technology is growing a such a rapid pace for all parts of life that it will be apart of EVERYTHING in a matter of years. And it will only be improved upon from there. Watches are no longer really used for telling time but just a piece of decoration you put on yourself to make yourself look good, phones have replaced watches as tools to tell time with, same with cameras for the most part. Many amateur photographers will just use their phone. The invention of twitter and facebook has even accelerated that as news stories will break just by a simple tweet and picture from the phone. Speaking of twitter and facebook, how we communicate with each other has been turn upside down and shaken up thanks to technology. Social media sites have made connecting with people that we could rarely or even never meet into a daily routine and it has made the exchange of ideas easier than ever before. The only question left is, what is the long term effect of this? Or even scarier question being, what if it all just stops working? For me, I think kids will only become more and more entrenched in technology as they pick this stuff up earlier and learn it quicker than most older people do. It allows them to be on the up and up and keeps reminding everyone how times have changed. ANd as for if it all turns off and stays off? Well our society is going to be in for a bit of a meltdown, and it may be a long, long meltdown.

6. Joshua Luchon April 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm #

At first glance, this is just another video of a cute kid with an innocent voice making the Internet laugh. Rayna may be adorable but she is also representative of the future of robots. Imagine how crazy it would have been if the water heater responded, now imagine having an entire conversation with a robot that is so lifelike, it makes you think a live person is texting you back on the other end. That is exactly what Eugenia Kuda’s software, Luka, is designed to do. Her artificial intelligence startup created a very complex and surprisingly effective neural network that takes a body of text (text messages, emails, Facebook and twitter posts, etc.) and creates an AI bot with the personality of whomever the text is from. The bot learns behaviors and linguistic tendencies to generate conversations that are wildly accurate representations of an actual conversation with the person. Kuda’s company provides a service to people that have lost family and friends and allows them to continue talking to them as if they never left. The bot is remarkably sensitive and emotional, completely different from widely used forms of the technology like Siri.

I find the concept to be unnatural and slightly disturbing. I have nothing but praise for the developers that designed the software because it’s capabilities surpass past anything else on the market, however the application and branding of the technology are where my distrust lies. For starters, this company is profiting from peoples grief and desire to avoid dealing with it. Death is a natural part of life and trying to circumvent its effects isn’t healthy. The artificial conversations that people have with dead friends and family, regardless of how accurate, are still synthetic representations of what once was. The concept of virtual immortality as a whole bothers me on the premise that it prevents people from moving on. I have unfortunately had many experiences with deaths in my family and I can say first hand that the grieving process is extremely difficult without the influence of any AI replicas. My fear is that this technology will allow people to avoid moving on and dealing with their grief. That said, there are many forms of artificial immortality that we often don’t recognize as such. For example, listening to a voicemail from someone who has passed or watching a video of someone that died are both forms of immortality. The difference however, is that in a recording or a video, the words were actually spoken and the events actually occurred. The same is not true for a conversation with a robot attempting to emulate someone.

For most people, robots are increasingly becoming a part of daily life. Whether it is in movies or in reality, people are growing more accustomed and desensitized to the presence of robots. Rayna exemplifies this in her lack of fear of the “robot” and her inclination to express her feelings and give it a hug. I see Rayna’s innocence as a metaphor for trusting artificial intelligence. The younger generation is clearly more accepting of robots simply because it is more natural given the current state of technology. This leads me to believe that services like Luka will become more commonplace in the coming years, giving virtual immortality a better chance of becoming a widespread practice. Until then, I will stick to my opinion that the entire process is unnatural.

It is not new in any way to entertain a conversation with a dead person or to listen to their words and react as if they were alive. We as humans do this all the time when we watch old movies or listen to songs made by artists that have since passed. The same is also true for anyone who is religious and prays. By praying, one seeks out a dialogue with someone that is no longer alive in the flesh in the same way that someone uses a service like Luka to achieve the same result. The difference, and in my opinion the most crucial part of my argument, is the response. When we watch old videos or listen to a voicemail left by someone who died, we are witnessing something that actually occurred and hearing words that were actually spoken. My issue with the AI bots is that the best they can do is predicted what could have been said had the person had the chance. That is where my doubts about the technology stem from and it is for that reason that I cannot endorse the bot in practice, but I wont pretend like it isn’t an amazing technological accomplishment.

7. Peter DeSantis April 7, 2017 at 8:48 pm #

“I wuv you Wobot!” These are the words that a little child named Rayna says to a hot water heater, which she thinks looks like a robot. To cut her some slack, the equipment that is on top of the tank has two big circles horizontally next to each other, which to a child could make the appearance of eyes or even an entire face. The video shows Rayna approach the water heater saying, “Hi, Robot!” repeatedly. She then proceeds to hug the tank and say that she “wuv[s]” it. It is obviously an adorable video that puts the innocence of children on display. She reminds me of my niece who is about two and a half which is most likely around the same age as the girl in the video. My niece is always going around giving hugs to me and other members of my family. She runs around wanting only to play and have fun with whoever. Although she throws countless temper tantrums all the time and has literally cried every single day of her life so far without exaggeration, she constantly laughs, smiles, and runs around screeching with excitement. Examples such as these truly depict how inherently pure and good children are. Unfortunately that is not the only implication that this video conveys.

This girl is approximately two to four years old roughly. She is not even enrolled in school yet; at most, she is in some sort pre-kindergarten program. Keeping that in consideration, I cannot help but wonder how this small child even knows what a robot is. I recognize that it is possible that my niece may be younger than this girl by a year or so, but I can guarantee that my niece has never heard the term robot in her life. The fact that there is a girl around her age that has heard the term robot and knows what a robot looks like makes me wonder how many other very young children know about robots. It is not that knowing what a robot is is a bad thing, it just makes me realize how commonplace robots really are. It makes me question how much robots have grown over the past decade or so. I may not be remembering correctly, but I feel like if I was a kid and saw that hot water heater, I probably would not have said it looked like a robot. I most likely would have said it looked like a man or that it just looked like a face on top. It is certainly possible that I am completely wrong, but I think this video is an indication for how much more robots have been integrated into our daily lives.

8. Daniel Anglim April 8, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

The video “I Wuv You Wobot” is extremely cute and reminds me of when I was a little kid. The caption for the video is, “Rayna is a small child who thinks this hot water heater looks like a robot and she is determined to say hi to it and tell it that she loves it. In the future, when humanity is on trial for the mistreatment of machines, our randomly assigned legal algorithm will introduce this video as Exhibit A in our defense. I like our chances.” I wish I can go back to the days when everything was so simple and the world was not a scary place. Being a kid is arguably the best years of your life, and definitely the most important as well. Now I have to worry about things like terrorist attacks, paying off college debt, and getting a good paying job. All I cared about when I was younger was exploring the world, using my imagination, and making new friends. Things really do change, and not necessarily for the better. I guess part of growing up is taking responsibility, and learning how to become an adult. Honestly, I am kind of scared to be an adult. Yes, I am living away from my parents now, but I still live off my parents’ income. Also, I am constantly asking my parents for real world advice. I would say though that living away from home was the best decision I could have ever made. I am learning to think for myself, and preparing myself for independence from my parents in the future. I believe all kids should live away from home, there is so much to experience and learn, and it is such a life changing process. I hope my sisters make the same decisions as myself. I have already tried my best to teach them the importance of a good education. They are both very smart and have bright futures ahead of them, I think Seton Hall University would be a great option for them, and everyone else. My decision to go to Seton Hall University was most likely the best choice I have ever made. I had many options, I applied to eight different schools and got into every one of them, but when I visited Seton Hall University I knew I found my home. It is crazy to think a year ago I did not know any of the people I do now, and how much my life has changed. I have made so many lifelong friends and great memories. Also, the professors at school are amazing and love to help students. My grade point average is very high, and I intend to keep it that way. I have my goals ahead of me, and I truly want to learn. The drive I have to get good grades is something a lot of my friends lack. I see my peers struggling, and I try to help them but most the time the struggle is brought upon them by their selves.

9. Robert Seijas April 8, 2017 at 9:30 pm #

One of the things that the video of the little girl and the water heater tells us is not that people can love technology or “robots,” but that our lives can very easily integrate into a dual existence. This can be seen by how willing the little girls was to interact with a “robot,” especially since it was a very large metal contraption in comparison to her small size. Children are sometimes unnerved by what they do not known, but are almost always curious about it as well. This is a prime example of children pushing past their nervous feelings, letting their curiosity take over, and learning to adapt to something they have not known previously. This is more or less proof of concept for an actual integration with real robots. An example of this happening in a similar but ultimately different way is how children now use cell phones and touch screens to play, and how it comes very natural to them when it takes other generations longer times to use them. This is also seen with the use of the internet in general, such as children being able to search on google faster and more efficiently than their parents or grandparents. Technology has been integrated into their lives at very early ages, and can give a general idea as to how an integration with robots would go over when that day eventually may come. The fact is that children will be able to live side by side with robots, because it will be what they know and feel natural to them, as opposed to much more nervous elderly people and older generations that do not trust technology, or trust it less.
    The easiest way to integrate robots into daily life would most likely be to develop them with children. Push more smart or learning robotic toys, like more advanced versions of the robot toys from the nineties, and eventually grow them with the children. As they become teenagers, they would have a robotic friend. As for adulthood, they would have robotic housekeepers and personal assistants that would help them to clear their everyday schedules and simplify their lives with less cluttering tasks. The best way to integrate robots into our daily lives would be to keep them in our lives from the start, so that a life with them would be normal and a life without them would not make sense. It would be normal for the children while strange, but ultimately adaptable for the parents. The next generations afterwards would simply accept it, because their parents would be completely accepting of robot shoppers, house cleaners, labor workers, assistants, and very possibly even citizens very far down the line. Every bit of life with robots is extremely possible, but more and more so for every growing and developing generation down the line. The biggest takeaway from the video is that life with robots is possible, and that the key to it happening is the new generations of children.

10. Jonathan Cavallone April 11, 2017 at 1:31 pm #

1. Rayna is a small child who thinks this hot water heater looks like a robot and she is determined to say hi to it and tell it that she loves it. While this may be funny and cute, this can be telling us something more important. Humans have been creating many new technologies that are becoming more and more capable of doing human activities. This child telling a hot water heater that she loves it may represent the future for humans. If we continue to create artificial intelligence that can perform human tasks, humans may have to coincide with robots. Learning to live with robots would change the way the world is as we know it. Humans will begin to develop personal relationships with their technological devices such as their phones, computers, and maybe even things like their refrigerators and vacuums cleaners. This video brings attention to the reality that humans may soon be facing. Currently, People are aware the machine is not alive. Yet they respond to the cues these lifelike machines give them, as if they were alive. People have been known to give names even to simple robots that are not much more than sticks with wheels. Now, robots are being deliberately designed with movements, sounds and facial expressions that people associate with states of mind.
    As robotics and autonomous systems flourish, human-robot relationships are becoming increasingly important. The way technologies are designed can solve or create new problems. For example, by making robots look like humans or cute animals, we may develop emotional affinity toward the machines. There have been many films where humans coexist with robots and humans and robots develop personal relationships. Most notably being the start wars movies featuring the character R2D2. How a robot looks and the way it interacts with the environment—with our environment—gives us clues about how we are meant to interact with a robot. Embodiment can be functional and related to specific tasks. A robot may have humanlike hands to it can hand you a plate of food. Those hands are functional for helping a human, then. The shape also triggers a sense of recognition in us as people, and we tend to attribute humanlike traits to a machine with humanlike characteristics. I think it is important to note that just as robot design is not static and evolves, therefore, so will our relationships with robots. We are still trying to figure out how to treat these robots, but I anticipate there will be a time when standards are developed within cultures. Maybe in fifty years from now people will be comfortable with a robot that does some domestic tasks in the home, and they do not treat that robot with strong attachment. Instead, they will treat them more like an industrial robots; they switch it off at night, or it puts itself in a closet and people do not mind because it is just another tool, similar to a dishwasher. In order to maintain peace and sanity with the human race, as robots become more prominent in life, it is important we understand what kind of relationships to develop with them.

11. Cameron Collier April 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

This video honestly shows the true purity of small children. The video shows Rayna, who cannot be any older than three years old, mistaking a thrown away water heater for a robot. Instead of being scared of the robot and running away Rayna continuously greets the robot, eventually hugging it and saying “I love you robot!” in a tone of unmatched cuteness. I remember as a kid I loved to run extension cords all throughout the house and plug in as many things as I could get my hands on. I had my “special outlet” which evidently wasn’t wired into anything so there was no electricity running through it, but I loved playing with electronics just the same. It is obviously an adorable video that puts the innocence of children on display. She reminds me of my niece who is about two and a half which is most likely around the same age as the girl in the video. My niece is always going around giving hugs to me and other members of my family. She runs around wanting only to play and have fun with whoever. One of the things that the video of the little girl and the water heater tells us is not that people can love technology or “robots,” but that our lives can very easily integrate into a dual existence. This can be seen by how willing the little girls was to interact with a “robot,” especially since it was a very large metal contraption in comparison to her small size.
    The next generations afterwards would simply accept it, because their parents would be completely accepting of robot shoppers, house cleaners, labor workers, assistants, and very possibly even citizens very far down the line. Every bit of life with robots is extremely possible, but more and more so for every growing and developing generation down the line. As robotics and autonomous systems flourish, human-robot relationships are becoming increasingly important. The way technologies are designed can solve or create new problems. For example, by making robots look like humans or cute animals, we may develop emotional affinity toward the machines. There have been many films where humans coexist with robots and humans and robots develop personal relationships. Maybe in fifty years from now people will be comfortable with a robot that does some domestic tasks in the home, and they do not treat that robot with strong attachment. Instead, they will treat them more like an industrial robots; they switch it off at night, or it puts itself in a closet and people do not mind because it is just another tool, similar to a dishwasher. This video was truly a nice break from the usual articles on the course blog. Maybe it was not the most informative or educational, but it was cute and entertaining nonetheless. Sometimes it is nice to take a break from the real busy world around us and enjoy the most precious things in life such as the innocent life of a child.

12. John Zarro April 17, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

This video truly portrays the innocence and purity of children with their big hearts and little brains. Rayna is able to show the world her loving and accepting personality in just a short 25-second video. We see in this video that children create an atmosphere of acceptance and love. This atmosphere or persona is something we should all replicate in order to create peace amongst all nations including ourselves. The problem is that as we grow older we start to realize not everything is innocent like Rayna thought the robot was. As portrayed in the video, Rayna saw the “robot” as a friend not judging and not discriminating. This type of “open arms” attitude is imperative for us as a society to prosper. My journal for this class discusses discrimination in depth regarding how it takes place in the workplace along with why and what types. Therefore, this video could be showed as an example of the non-judging people we all once were and how we all need to be in order to succeed together. The biggest problem in the workplace is discrimination, which should be taboo, but seems common.
    If we in the workplace welcomed each other with open arms rather than discriminating against each other, the environment would be more pleasant. However, we are not all like Rayna and all do not do that. I could not stress more how much this video meant to be cute for the internet could help be an example when discussing racism. Rayna did not care who or what ( not knowing) race the object was, but still conveyed a positive attitude accepting the object for what is was regardless of its superficial aspects. Looking at the big picture, discrimination is such an important topic that the EEOC otherwise known as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, has created workshops in order to resolve this issue. Discrimination in the workplace comes in all different ways such as sexual harassment, race, religion, gender, and more. We tend to make someone who is “different” feel like they are different. What I mean by this is that the unique person or people would end up feeling like outsiders due to superficial attributes they cannot change and is out of their control. Rayna’s accepting personality, even though exaggerated, can be translated into how people who are different are accepted as previously stated. The ideology behind this video in my eyes is different from the everyday perspective of this video of a little girl screaming, “I love you” to a “robot”. The general public’s problem in society also is that they usually do not look to find the meaning of things, but rather “skim” past it. If this video was a book, reading and understanding the book would be like seeing this video as a lesson. On the contrary, only viewing this video as a cute skit that went viral would be the equivalent to skim reading a book only trying to find the main themes or characters.
    Overall, I feel that Professor Shannon posted this video for us to look further into it past the “cute” surface. Although adorable, it has a bigger meaning and can be translated to being a powerful message that can be shared amongst a much larger scale. Workshops could use the cut aspect of this video as a lure to get everyone’s attention, but then later explain the true meaning behind it referencing opening one’s arms to anyone that may appear different or unique. Divulging past the literal meaning is something society needs to do, especially our generation who admires instant gratification because we are spoiled with it.

13. Nick Shervanian April 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

Kids are always thinking about the fantasy life. One with monsters and superheroes and villains, but could this become a reality with robots? Children are sometimes unnerved by what they do not known, but are almost always curious about it as well. This is a prime example of children pushing past their nervous feelings, letting their curiosity take over, and learning to adapt to something they have not known previously. This is more or less proof of concept for an actual integration with real robots. Real robots would be a huge technological advance. An example of this happening in a similar but ultimately different way is how children now use cell phones and touch screens to play, and how it comes very natural to them when it takes other generations longer times to use them. This is also seen with the use of the internet in general, such as children being able to search on google faster and more efficiently than their parents or grandparents. Technology has been integrated into their lives at very early ages, and can give a general idea as to how an integration with robots would go over when that day eventually may come. The fact is that children will be able to live side by side with robots, because it will be what they know and feel natural to them, as opposed to much more nervous elderly people and older generations that do not trust technology, or trust it less.
    The easiest way to integrate robots into daily life would most likely be to develop them with children. Push more smart or learning robotic toys, like more advanced versions of the robot toys from the nineties, and eventually grow them with the children. As they become teenagers, they would have a robotic friend. As for adulthood, they would have robotic housekeepers and personal assistants that would help them to clear their everyday schedules and simplify their lives with less cluttering tasks. The best way to integrate robots into our daily lives would be to keep them in our lives from the start, so that a life with them would be normal and a life without them would not make sense. It would be normal for the children while strange, but ultimately adaptable for the parents. The next generations afterwards would simply accept it, because their parents would be completely accepting of robot shoppers, house cleaners, labor workers, assistants, and very possibly even citizens very far down the line. Every bit of life with robots is extremely possible, but more and more so for every growing and developing generation down the line. Life with new robots is possible, no matter how far a stretch people truly believe it is. The key to make this even have a chance at success is to start it with this current generation of children. They will know their whole live with robots and will continue to make it the norm in future generations.

14. Guy Barbano April 27, 2017 at 9:32 pm #

This video came at the perfect time for me right before finals week. It makes me really appreciate the little things in life back to when life was so simple and no one had any worries in the world. Rayna shows the innocents of our youth. The little girl Rayna is having a conversation with a water heater that looks like a robot to her. Which to me is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen. It reminds me of my God daughter back home who is 18 months old and is so curious about the world always trying to explore and learn new things. Age and youth is something we all take for granted every day. When I was young all I wanted to do was grow up and be an adult because I thought that growing up was the coolest thing I could do. Grow up go to college get a job work on my own. I thought all of that would be the highlight of my life. I am not saying it cannot be. But right now I think would trade a lot just to go back to being a kid and enjoying everything I possibly can because if I knew what I know now I would have always kept moving and enjoying every second I could as a kid. Another interesting thing I see in this video is the idea of robots being friendly and kind. Originally when everyone thought of robots everyone thought star wars or badly about them in movies they were always the bad guy going to take over the world. Now though as you can see from the video. Robots are now seen as the future of technology. Robots and A.I. are developing fast in this world. Rayna also shows the social norm of robots in today’s society. This really shows how future generations will be accepting of robots and A.I. systems. Rayna’s generation will be very accepting of robots and A.I. systems I believe because of this really shows the ability this generation would be able to work well with technology. I do not believe my generation will be able to work as well as the next generation with technology and A.I. systems. I only say this because many of people in my generation right now and even the older generation will be competing against robots and A.I. systems. Where Rayna’s and generations after her will be finding jobs working with robots and technology because they will grow up with them doing jobs most likely. This shows the growth and development technology is having on us all as a whole in society. Humans working with robots and A.I. systems will be slow to start but I feel like in the next 10 to 15 years robots will be man’s new best friend. For technology the sky is the limit is the human brain can dream it I believe we can make it happen just look at all the crazy inventions we have now.

15. Matthew R Ponsiglione April 30, 2017 at 10:43 pm #

I “wuv” this video for a certain reason. It shows the innocence of a child mistaking a hot water heater for a robot. This piece of junk on the side of the road being left for garbage disposal in the eyes of a little kid is incredible. I find the innocence of children to be one of the purist things in the world. They find the littlest things in life to be fun and exciting where there should not be any. A simple water heater has never made anyone so happy. Had I walked past that water heater I would have simply taken a quick glance and continued to walk past it but it seems to have made this little girls day. I miss the times when being a little kid meant not worrying about anything and being able to do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences. A kid is as carefree as it gets, in adults people always go to motivational speakers that always speak about going out and getting what you want. When it comes to little kids they do not even contemplate it, they see something they want or want to do they go and do it immediately. They have no shame and are willing to do anything they want, and you do not see things like this in adults and it’s because as adults we become conscious of other things and begin to think about so many other options. Some adults are labeled as immature for acting to much as a child, but being a child was the best time of my life, I was always having fun. A comedian I enjoy listening to writes songs about real world problems and how he feels about them. His name is Bo Burnham and he has a song titled, “Art is Dead”. In this song he decodes celebrities idolized by the American people and describes the reality of it to us from a celebrity as himself. One of his lines states, “Have you ever been to a birthday Party for children? And one of the children Won’t stop screaming ‘Cause he’s just a little Attention attractor When he grows up To be a comic or actor He’ll be rewarded For never maturing For never under-standing or learning that every day Can’t be about him.” Kids are carefree and love the attention, who doesn’t? Along with this it needs to be understood by people that being a kid does come to an end in this song lyric what is being said is there are kids who will never learn to grow up and how to mature and some of these kids grow into the people that America idolizes. Everyone is raised a different way and when you get to a certain age you need to start changing and adapting because eventually you need to go out into the real world. Some of these people who never figure out how to mature and become young adults are the ones who end up striving in the world and that is the point of this song titled “Art is Dead” because what he is trying to say is what people view as “art” is simply an illusion given to us by all these people who have in a way “cheated” the system and gotten around becoming an adult with real responsibilities. The reason we idolize these people is because they get to be careless and carefree without consequence, and they get to be a kid forever, something everyone longs for because being a kid is one of the greatest things in the world; as exhibited by Rayna when she saw the hot water heater in the middle of the street. She took this piece of garbage and turned into something she viewed herself which in a way is its own type of art, being able to see that. The art is not being able to see garbage as something you want to tell you love and you want to hug, rather than see things through the eyes of an innocent child.

16. Daria Di Paolo October 7, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

When I was little, my mother would take me with her to work. At work, there was a plant there, I do not know the type of plant it was, but by the leaves, it would sprout would be in five leaves. Giving it some crude shape of what a person might look like, with five limbs (well, four limbs and a head). Every time I would pass by that plant, I would talk to one of the sprouts of leaves. Talking to the plant as if it was a real person. Perhaps this is just the imagination of a child, or how at that age, we think that anything can also feel and talk, or listen like that of a human or any other living being. Kids do talk to pets as if they understand like a regular person does, so, why not that of a plant? It technically is living, even if it does not respond.
    While other comments talk about how this is something about the rapid change of technology and children accepting technology, I don’t see that in this video. Rayna isn’t afraid or accepting of something that is close to looking like a robot. She thinks of it as something that’s alive. Seeing stuff online about robots, having toys of robots, that even when I was a kid, we had robotic toys, makes someone as young as Rayna, realize, that this metal thing, is like a robot she would see. Whether in a show or when she is over at a friend’s place, playing with a new toy that they got last week. Making this connection would make her think, that this busted water heater, which has something on top of it looking like eyes, as one of those robots she would see everywhere. Then what happens after making that small connection? The imagination takes over, thinking that this piece of junk, is something of the living, and seeing it outside and alone? Well, who would not want to give it a hug? Telling the robot that they are loved? Well, it seems that Rayna would! Children talk to anything that looks something that is human or living. Movies like Toy Story, a world of toys and how they “come to life” when being played around with? That is something that I see is relevant to this. How Rayna, her imagination, gives this water heater life, well, in her mind it is alive. When Rayna gets home, she could talk to the toaster, this would not mean how she will be accepting of the future when robots become a real thing and everyone might have them in their homes. No, this just shows, Rayna, like many other kids her age, has a healthy and active imagination.