Please Don’t Panic If You Haven’t Found Your Life’s Purpose

from SHRP

In today’s hyper-connected world, it’s easy to feel like you are falling behind. Whether it’s your career status, relationship status, or social status, it’s all too common to think people are farther ahead of you.

This especially rings true when we think everyone else has found their purpose in life.

There’s nothing worse than seeing a friend live out their life’s purpose and feeling a twinge of envy.

What they fail to realize is that purpose does not find you, you find your purpose through action, hard work, and patience. In other words, the more you pour yourself into your projects (more on this in a bit), the more you learn about yourself and the clearer your purpose becomes.

Purpose is the common driver between your passions.

70 Responses to Please Don’t Panic If You Haven’t Found Your Life’s Purpose

1. Lucas Nieves-Violet October 26, 2017 at 5:02 pm #

A big part of part of everyone’s lives is applying to college. When college season comes around you not only need to be ready but you also need to be focused on your grades in school as well as you test scores. And while this may be seen as the tough part it isn’t. The hard part comes when you have to decide what you want to study. Science, Business, Communications, and Philosophy whatever the area maybe you already need to know what direction you will orient yourself. Whether some of us may not understand it yet this decision is a crucial part of our lives as it will direct us in a certain path. While I may have said college in the beginning it’s the same thing for people who want to pursue different sorts of studyings, it could be cooking school, or mechanic school for that matter all types relate.

In the article the author Declan Wilson talks about projects in similar ways the biggest project you will accomplish in your life is yourself. Pursuing this journey will transform you in the person you will be 20 or 30 years from now. An advice I would give to anyone struggling to find themselves or what to study in school, is to figure out who they are first. If anyone gives you the chance to travel to different places in the world or gives you internships then do them. For example last summer I was already interested in international business given that my backgrounds comes from France, Mexico and the U.S. I Decided to do a business internship in Rwanda with my mom’s company. I worked for four weeks at Rwacof, a coffee company that produces, ships out and sells coffee seeds, and beans to big companies like Starbucks, Nestle or Dunkin Donuts. I went through the whole process, I oversaw every job title, and while some were boring as heck per say I still was enthusiast see the whole process and the job of each person. Finally I came to the logistics department which I really enjoyed, and am now interest in pursuing.

Internships and personal life experiences help you find out who you are and what you want. Some may not be interesting some may be boring but at least at the end of the day you will know what you like and don’t. It is important to explore and practice something new often in order to broaden your scope and interests. At times you may not want to do something but doing that very thing might turn to do be something you love. Most importantly though when finding the person you are it is important that you alone like the things you are doing. No one else can like them for you. It is important that you follow your own path it isn’t because your best friend likes to do something that you should like it was well. Like your own things and do them as well. There is no shame in being late to discover what you really want to do with your life because once you do, you’ll know exactly where you stand and what you need to do to get there.

2. Shannon Britton October 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm #

Being a senior in college, you feel a lot of pressure to find your purpose in life. That is what most people would say is the reason you attend a University. However most people I know walking around campus are all in the same boat – we still do not know yet. Nowadays people feel so pressured to know what they want out of their career and relationships, however, most of us have no clue. And that is okay! We have to remind ourselves that we all have purposes and everyone finds theirs at different times in their life, so do not think that you are behind or never going to find yours. I agree with the writer in the comment about, “purpose does not find you, you find your purpose through action, hard work, and patience”. With that being said, it is so important to try different things and learn more about ourselves. Our purpose could be something that we never expected and we will only find out if we live life to the fullest and pour ourselves into different experiences and projects.

3. Nicholas DiBari February 12, 2018 at 11:11 pm #

A lack of instant gratification, or in this context, instant answers to life’s bigger questions that involve us is something that humanity has grappled with for thousands and thousands of years. Evidence of this can be found in the work of Ancient Greek philosophers, with Plato being the best example that comes to mind. Much of Plato’s work comes in the form of a narrative between the character Socrates, a sort of caricature of the true historical figure and teacher of Plato, and other individuals. Much of what Plato offers us through Socrates comes through what is often referred to as Socratic inquiry. This methodology of finding answers involves delving deeper into the underlying questions of a given subject matter to better understand the answers that don’t always come to the surface immediately in superficial conversation. For example, in Plato’s work, The Republic, Socrates works out the nuances of how man should behave justly and, on a deeper level, what it even means to be just. His arguments at first feel as though they are unattainable or at least out of reach of the common man but, upon more intensive reflection through Socratic inquiry, he is able to un-jumble his philosophical positions and allow for it to be understood by his audience.

But what does this have to do with struggling to find our purpose in life?

In the article, the author speaks to how people grow frustrated when the answer to the question of their purpose is not handed to them on a silver platter. He goes on to write that simply getting involved, getting out there, and partaking in the “projects” that life invites us to work on will allow for us to have a clearer idea of what our purpose is. I would venture to go a step further in the form of a step back.
    Generally speaking, in life, we all have things, call them projects, that we do every day or things that we have been involved with for extended periods of time and, perhaps, take for granted. “The unexamined life is not worth living,” says Plato via Socrates. By that logic, it can often pay sometimes to take a step back and really think about, or inquire, as to what it is that keeps us at these “projects.” Is it obligation, habit, duty or maybe, just maybe, a sense of underlying purpose? The things that we do every day say a lot about us; our likes, our dislikes, our hobbies. The collective list of these things, these activities and projects, are a summation of who we are. We say that life does not hand us our purpose on a silver platter but, maybe, it does: we just have to figure out what it is we’ve been handed.

4. Grace Galuppo February 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm #

Finding your life’s purpose and passions can be difficult when you want to know what you will enjoy doing for the rest of your life. I know that for myself, I had a difficult time going into college as an undecided major because I wanted to know, as all my friends did, my degree course. Additionally, I grew up in an affluent town where people expect that you will go to an expensive college along with a plan intact for your future. I also have two siblings that knew what they wanted to do with the rest of their lives before entering college. My twin brother is pursuing a math degree, but is in the ROTC program at his school and is passionate about being in the military. Furthermore, my older sister went to school to become an account and is currently working at Deloitte & Touche as a CPA.
    It is important to discover who you want to be before having a set plan of what you are going to do with your life. High school and college are the perfect places for one to figure out what their likes or dislikes, which they can do through trying new things. Moreover, having an open mind about the experiences you are going to try will ultimately benefit you in the end. For instance, if you think you are going to be a professional athlete and are only focused on that one goal, if someone happens, like you obtaining a serious back injury that prevents you from playing, you will be disappointment and left with no options for the future. In order to avoid a letdown, one should have multiple interests. Again, high school and college allows students to venture out and try new activities and clubs.
    Passions will not jump out at you. You have to work to find what satisfies you and allows you to be the best version of yourself. With that said, sometimes the activities you do will not instantly gratify you. For example, I am thinking about attending law school, but I know that it will be hard work and that I will get frustrated along the way; however, in the long term I will be stratified when I am able to help protect people. In conclusion, anyone can find their purpose for life, if they are willing to embrace new opportunities and experiences because those are the only ways to discover who you are.

5. Brianna A Avery February 16, 2018 at 8:05 pm #

Everyone wants to find their purpose in life, but some people expect to find it instantly. In the blog post “Please Don’t Panic If You Haven’t Found Your Life’s Purpose,” author Declan, states, people are in search for instant gratification which is why people begin to panic when they have not found their purpose. Everyone finds their purpose in life at different moments. Jenna from across the hall could have found her purpose at sixteen, while Mr. Walker down the street found his purpose at eighty. Some people went their entire lives not knowing what their purpose in life was. However, the question to the person who never found their purpose is, did they explore their options? I think finding your purpose in life comes from your personal experiences. Declan states he has children and is a husband and one of his purposes in life is “wanting to help them become the best versions of themselves.” Declan would have never known this was one of his purposes in life until he got married and when he had his son. Different chapters in life will reveal who you are as a person. As those chapters continue, I feel it is up to people to figure out what they need to do to find their life fulfillment. If a person does not have the drive or the willpower to seek fulfilling opportunities to help them decide why they were placed on Earth, it is ultimately their fault when they cannot find their purpose. Finding a purpose in life in a sense goes hand in hand with finding a career choice and not a job. Everyone wants a career, something that makes them happy and completes them as a person. Your career choice ultimately could become your purpose in life. What leads up to you finding that career choice may not bring you joy. However, once you find it, you will be happy. This is the same with finding your life purpose.

6. Mark W March 3, 2018 at 11:36 pm #

In this world we are all raised by our parents to have the American Dream. Finish high school, go to college, find a good job, and have a family. However, along the way there will be some challenges. Me for example, my biggest challenge since I’ve been out of high school is finding my purpose. The quote in the article states “What they fail to realize is that purpose does not find you, you find your purpose through action, hard work, and patience.” I personally would envy some people that had found passion at an early age. I feel if you find your passion earlier in life you automatically know what you want, and you can pursue it. For example, most NBA players such as Kobe Bryant had the passion of playing basketball at an early age. Kobe specifically mentioned in his documentary how it made his life easier by finding it at an early age. One example I also noticed in today’s living is that you find people comparing themselves with others like it’s a race. However, what I’ve learned to realize is that everyone is different in their own way and its best to do things at your own pace. Finding your purpose through action is very true because in my early college years I took a lot of classes from art design to film courses. I eventually ended up finding two degrees that I really want to pursue which is theatre and sports management. Acting is one field I have a passion for and want to consider pursuing. There are many issues around the world where parents are forcing their children to pursue majors that their kids have no interest in. That’s why I also thank my father because he majored in accounting and he never forced me to major in it because I never had an interest in it. It means a lot to me for having a father believing in me and letting me choose my passion that I enjoy doing.

7. Daniel Schreier March 6, 2018 at 12:50 pm #

Reading this article was a very important experience for me, because I always felt that purpose finds you, especially by seeing other people’s history of life, and how almost by accident, they find what drives them. Upon reading this, I believed someday, by instance, I will find my purpose of living, and then, my life would have sense, however, I reflected upon my life and my choices, and could realize I already have purpose. Since the author states, a purpose of someone is built by the projects that person constructs trough life, and everything one does is a project. After seeing this point of view, I understood that being a son and a brother is a project, going through life is a project, and even, not having a clear direction about the future is a project. Unfortunately, often times projects fail, and that is something which should be perfectly normal, as we are human beings, and sometimes in life, we fail and things don’t work right. The key for success in learning from failures in order to have success on future endeavors; by the way, recovering from failures is also a project. Furthermore, people usually tend to link projects and purposes to work and career related activities, such as, people need a plan for their careers so they can achieve success. However; success is a relative concept, some people believe making a lot of money is success, others think that having a family is it, other even consider helping other people achieve success is the ultimate success for them. It doesn’t matter which is the purpose of one’s life, or if one didn’t found it yet. As long as the projects makes people feel good and happy, they are achieving their goals. After all, the human beings mission on earth is to be happy, and if one goes through their entire life by engaging in projects which don’t satisfy them and make them feel happy, than that person didn’t live their life according to the nature of the human species. As the only species on this planet with the capability to think rationally, we should start living accordingly to that, and making the most of this unique capability.

8. Tanner Purcel March 7, 2018 at 2:10 pm #

This article hit me more than any other article on this blog. It has something for everybody. Even if a person did find their passion, they can learn from Declan Wilson. Personally, I came into college undeclared, hoping that my experiences in college would help me find a passion, or at least something that I could tolerate in order to make money for my future family. As my first year comes to a close, I am in the same spot as I was a couple months ago. I have not found a true passion. I have no major. And I still have no idea what I am going to do with the rest of my life. This article helped me realize that it is okay to be a little behind everyone else. When he is talking about finding his passion, he writes, “I didn’t uncover my purpose until I had already put in a lot of hard work into my projects. After a while, I realized every new project I started was a further extension of who I am.” Throughout his article, Declan talks about how you find a purpose, the purpose does not find you. He also writes, “Here’s where people get hung up on finding their purpose, they try to fill their lives with projects they will enjoy or projects that will bring social accolades. They seek instant instead of delayed gratification. I can promise you you will never find your purpose in a project that brings instant gratification. Because allowing a project to manifest your purpose takes time. It relies on you working through the hard times and learning about yourself through these experiences.” This part hit me the most because the gratification from your purpose will not hit right away. Sometimes we know our purposes, but it might seem like we are going the wrong direction, like when a beginner musician is playing in a small coffee house or out on the street. It might suck sometimes, but the journey to find our passion is just as important as our passion.

9. Antonia James March 8, 2018 at 8:25 pm #

The search for the purpose of life has puzzled people for thousands of years. That’s because we typically begin at the wrong starting point – ourselves. We ask self-centered questions like What do I want to be? What should I do with my life? What are my goals, my ambitions, my dreams for my future? But focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life’s purpose. You find your purpose through action, hard work, patience and most of all serving others.

Over the years, I would assist at my church, or get involved with community projects through my job. I knew that my purpose in life was to help others. I believe that God made us all for the purpose of serving each other. It was 2012, and I was planning my first trip to Europe for my 40th birthday. This was very exciting because it was my wish for a long time. It was in January when my friend informed me about a mission trip to Haiti. He knew this was something I wanted to do. I quickly contacted the group only to find out that the trip was scheduled the same time as my trip to Europe. I was very disappointing and needed time to think. It was my birthday celebration with my best friends, I wanted this for so long, I can always go on another mission trip. Over and over, I try to rationalize my decision but it didn’t work. A few weeks later, I was purchased my ticket and begun collecting donation for the children of Haiti. A month before my trip, the reality of it all became clear. The immunization that was required and the brochure with all the do’s and don’ts was enough to cause many sleepless nights. Why didn’t I go to Europe? Why did I book for two weeks and not one? What if the immunization doesn’t work and I get sick?. The night before my flight was the worst. I didn’t sleep at all and really wanted to cancel. We boarded at JFK in New York and arrived at Port Au Prince airport in Haiti. For the next two weeks, I would get to see firsthand what poverty really look like. The condition that the children and people of Haiti had to live daily. It was tough with no running water and 20% electricity every day. We traveled to villages distributing school supplies and clothing to the children who have lost one or both parents. During those two weeks, I realized that missionary was my indeed purpose. As Declan stated in his article, you’ll never know when you’re working on the right project, but that shouldn’t matter. Because your purpose doesn’t change by what you pour yourself into, it only becomes clearer. Through that project, my purpose truly became clearer. I fell in love with a place that most people would not visit. Two years later, I returned for my second mission trip to an orphanage in Port Au Prince. I will be planning my third mission trip to Mexico in the near the future.

I strongly agree with Declan, that no matter your life situation we all have a purpose. We must seek to find out it. It may not be in one thing, or two. It might be in several different projects, but you will not discover what it is until you start. Don’t panic if you haven’t found your life purpose yet but diligently continue to seek it. Too many have died without finding their purpose. I have worked hard for the past 4 years to graduate. My next step will be to use the experience and knowledge I have gained to run my event planning business successfully. My goal is to use my passion to create magical moments for clients one event at a time.

10. Luke Nadolny March 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm #

Seeing Declan Wilson’s words of advice brought a sense of relief to me. All throughout my freshman year in college we hear about finding your passion and your purpose, but so far I am no different from when I started. I still find myself having no idea what I want to do when I graduate college. I still find myself fearing what the world has in store for me. Luckily I know I am not the only college kid who thinks these same thoughts. Some college kids see passion as money and how many assets they can acquire in their careers, and they end up realizing that it is a painful process. Having a passion is when you do not see work as work, if you just work for the money you are going to end up hating your career. When Wilson says it will take a while to develop a passion for yourself,he is speaking to all college kids, even ones who have a set goal.

In the first year of college, the main purpose is to try to ease you into the college system and the education process. It is normal for you not to have a purpose immediately when you come to college, and even when your almost done with your freshman year, like myself, you do not know where you want to go with your life. What most kids forget is that there are still three more years left to find a purpose. This is a problem I too struggle with, but seeing Declan Wilson’s advice on the matter makes me feel a lot better about my chances and my future. For that reason alone I have to tip my hat to him because someone else who stumbles upon this article, whether it be for school purposes or not, they can read it and feel a little better about themselves, and in this world we need to feel as great as we possibly can. When we look at the possibilities for our purpose in life, we need to take into account the amount of time we have to make our minds up, not saying we have to wait until the last minute, but if we do not know our purpose right away, it is not the end of the world.

11. TB March 9, 2018 at 10:59 pm #

It’s apart of human nature to want to be successful, to want to be the best at whatever your passion is and to not want to disappoint anyone. Since the 1950s’ emergence of the ‘Nuclear Family’, it’s been engrained in our heads that our purpose in life is to someday achieve this perfect life, that if you’re not financially stable and married with children by your mid-30’s you’re a failure. It’s also taught that our purpose is to impact the world in a great way. That whatever work we do or profession we work in we should be impacting the world for the better. These beliefs s are taught to us through our families, schools, television, books, movies, and society as a whole. We’re taught that by our senior year of high school we should have our life planned out, we should know what profession we want, what college we want to go to, where we want to live, an estimation of the salary we want to earn, and so on and so forth. This is a lot of pressure and responsibility on a 17/18-year-old or in my case a 16-year-old.

Unfortunately, with modern day technology, there’s even more pressure on you to be successful and to have discovered your life’s purpose. As Declan Wilson, the author of “Please Don’t Panic If You Haven’t Found Your Life’s Purpose”, stated, with Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and other social media outlets, it can be very intimidating. Through social media, you’re able to see the relationship, academic, and employment statuses of your peers. This can cause individuals to feel inadequate and unsuccessful because they feel inferior in comparison to their peers and the goals that they’ve accomplished. However, I believe that you shouldn’t feel as though you should have achieved certain accomplishments by a certain time because every person is different, everyone has different goals, beliefs, and ambitions. Everyone mentally develops/matures at different rates and, therefore, aren’t always ready to make the next big step in their life at the same time everyone else is. Therefore, everyone is not going to discover their purpose in life at the same time and they shouldn’t feel pressured to do so because it takes, time, patience, experience, and hard work to discover your purpose and that isn’t something that should be given a deadline.

12. Sydney V March 12, 2018 at 9:46 am #

The topic of passion and life’s purpose is something that I really relate to. As a college student a year away from graduating, I often find myself wondering what I’m doing. I often ask myself why I’m doing what I’m doing and if it’s all worth it and this article has really changed my perspective on my answers to those questions. Wilson has made it clear that your purpose isn’t supposed come easy or be easy. Each project you involve yourself in will have its setbacks and its failures but that is part of the journey. One of my projects right now is graduating college. This is something that I am passionate about and it has take a lot of hard work and dedication throughout my whole life. This journey has consisted of twelve years of primary schooling and four years of college, each level with its own hardships. All of the lack of sleep, stress over classes, money spent, is all part of the journey. It all leads up to the completion of this project that will lead into my next project. I always thought that I would find my purpose and it would be clear to me. But after reading this article, I’ve come to think that I don’t have one specific purpose in life. My purpose can consist of succeeding in my career, being a good girlfriend and eventually wife and mother, being a good daughter to my parents, and helping people complete their own life projects every step of the way. It’s Important not to get caught up in the difficult times and work through them because the end result, the completion of the project, will all be worth it in the end. I agree with Wilson that you can’t wait around for your purpose to come to you, you have to work hard and be patient while you work towards these projects; and within these projects you will discover your purpose and your passions in life.

13. Zachary Corby March 12, 2018 at 7:11 pm #

I find this article particularly appealing because as a college student it is something that is easily relatable. Vast majorities of students going to college still do not know what their professional calling is, and some have an idea of what they want to do. However, very few people actually know what their purpose is and the whole point of plunging into debt for college is to try to find out what that is. Purpose is much more than finding out what job you are cut out for, it is also finding out what you are good at, passionate about, and where you can make a difference. I think it is important for people to realize from this article that we do not solely have one purpose, but rather we have multiple purposes. Surely, we have some professional purpose, which will be our career and job that we hold. The majority of people will go on to take on a spouse, and plenty will have kids giving them a new purpose. If they do not they will still have a purpose to their parents and other family members. A plethora of other hobbies and interests will present themselves to give people additional purposes. People need to stop focusing on what their sole purpose of life is and to realize that there is so much more than just one. Another important point that is brought up in the article is that no purpose will bring you instant gratification. This is definitely a big issue I see with many people in general and it trickles down to their purposes as well. People are always seeking recognition for their actions and want to be appreciated and that I almost never the case. Instant gratification is not anything worth seeking, and people who look for that in their purposes are doing something wrong. However, delayed gratification is what is necessary for any good purpose. Time, commitment and hard work are all required to achieve goals that are really worth achieving. Eventually if you do those things, the recognition and gratification will come. For many years, your parents will not see any reward in raising you, but in time when you begin to grow up and begin to be able to express your gratitude toward them they will see their hard work paying off. I also believe that a big part of purpose is doing something for the greater good or someone else rather than just yourself. Doing things for yourself is a big part of purpose for sure, but in general, anything you do should help to impact other people. Whether it is family, your community, or complete strangers that you are influencing, your purpose should involve other people. By far the biggest takeaway from this article is to not wait around for your purpose to come to you and rather to go out and actively seek your purpose. I see this taking place every day in college. I have friends who have no idea what their majors should be, but none of them are actively looking into what to become. They prefer to just sit around and complain rather than actually thinking about what their purpose might be. I have other friends that complain about their love lives and how single they are. Yet again, they prefer to sit around and complain rather than trying to go meet anyone new. People need to learn how to take a more active role in their lives if they want to try to find out what their purpose is. Even if they think, they have a good sense of what their purpose should be they should still strive to be extremely active because there is a chance of finding out an additional purpose or that what they initially thought was not right. The majority of people I know prefer to be reactive instead of proactive and that clearly is not the right way to live life. As the article says, finding a purpose is not as hard as one may think. Really, I believe it is just a passion that you can dedicate your time and hard work to that will help improve both it and yourself. People overreact whenever they try to think about their purpose in life or something so meaningful, but if they actually sit down and take what this article is preaching about into account people would find it is not so difficult.

14. Timothy Wiamer March 13, 2018 at 8:43 pm #

In today’s society we are on overdrive. We are constantly checking technology, constantly trying to live up to the newest trends, and constantly trying to keep up with the Jones’s. It is no wonder that we feel overwhelmed, lost, and depressed. It is not hard to feel like we are falling behind those who are around us. It’s specifically hard when your closest friends and family have found their calling or purpose in life. Your best friend landed her dream job; your brother bought the house of his dreams; your other friends found jobs right after college. Where does that leave you? It is easy to fall into the path of feeling sorry for yourself and pushing yourself into a deeper depression. But that is not the solution. That is not how you find your purpose in life. Many people in these situations believe that their purpose will find them, instead of them going out and finding their purpose. This needs to change. “What they fail to realize is that purpose does not find you, you find your purpose through action, hard work, and patience.” One way you can start to discover your purpose is by examining your passions. What are you passionate about? Now we should not get this confused with joy. Sometimes these two do not go hand in hand. You can be a great parent or a great tutor, and find your purpose is to help those around you or to teach. That is not always the most enjoyable profession. The problem with today’s society is that we are in a constant need for instant gratification. Finding your purpose in life isn’t about the instant gratification but rather long-term gratification. Finding your purpose takes time. Young college graduates are hung up on the idea of finding their purpose immediately once they graduate or even beforehand. In reality, it might take a few years of trial and error for you to fully understand what you’re meant to do. In the end, don’t wait around for you to figure out your purpose. Be proactive. Work on projects and engage in things that interest you and that bring out your best skills and qualities. Test the waters.

15. Luis F Gonzalez Jr March 15, 2018 at 12:34 am #

The purpose in life has been a question unanswered by human species. We all have tried to figure out what our lives’ purpose is. My philosophy on this is that our purpose in life is to love which in return produces happiness. Happiness is a key factor in the business world, you want to keep your workers happy or they will not work to their potential. It has been proven that greater happiness increases production and lowers costs because people are excited and motivated to do something they love. The question is when are you ready to love and how will it give you life fulfillment and happiness in return.

I will use a personal example of love common in our age, relationships.

The reason I believe I am happy and fulfilled with my life is because I put myself first before anyone. I care for myself on all aspects and learn to love myself before caring and loving others. There needs to be order when it comes to extending a hand. The reason why I believe I am ready to share my life by being in a loving relationship is because I know who I am and care for myself first, suiting myself to care for others truly. This concept can be called the invisible hand, commonly used in economics, which states the unintentional social benefits of individual self-interested actions. I care for myself and acknowledge my strengths not denying my weaknesses and look for support. My partner is someone who complements me and is my other half because she improves my flaws. I understand that without my CVO, chief venting officer, I will not function to my upmost potential. Being a lone wolf is not effective but leads to failure. Team work is the best and most efficient way of solving issues. Your strengths are your partner’s weaknesses vice verso creating a perfect team. This bond creates exponential growth in your mental, spiritual, and loving aspect. You improve very much and feel more accomplished because you are a better version of yourself. Being in love is the purpose of life, whether it be in with someone or with something. You need to form a loving relationship and thus it will bring happiness. Happiness is a great factor in the business world, improving production and lowering costs. The idea of a partnership is evidence based ideology that proves that the only way to perform better and succeed in all aspects of life is through being happy which a byproduct of loving something is.

We need to love and be loved from a young age and throughout our life. It is a necessary aspect of human life. In order to feel accomplished and have a “purpose” in life is to do something you genuinely care about and love to do. That could range from a spectrum of occupations and activities which is why most parents say to their children to do something they love not for money. The purpose in life is to love someone or something.

16. Kirsten MacArthur March 15, 2018 at 1:15 pm #

I have always considered not being able to find my purpose in life as one of my biggest fears. I am only twenty one years old, so this is not one of my main concerns at the moment, but I still think about it often. I see some of my classmates and friends finding themselves and discovering what gives them happiness, while I am struggling to do the same. I honestly have no idea what kind of life would be fulfilling for me, as I have not experienced enough to know. By going through different experiences in life, I firmly believe that I will find my purpose. The article discusses how your purpose will not find you, but rather, you have to go out and find it. I think that by taking in everything life throws at you and making the best of it, you will most likely find what you are meant to be doing.
    In finding my purpose in life, I believe that having the person that I am meant to be with by my side will help me along my journey. By having the support and encouragement from the person I love, I feel that I will prosper and be able to find what will truly bring me happiness. For example, the author mentions how he feels that one of his purposes in life is being a husband and father, which he could have only found out once he entered into his relationship with the person he loved. One of my purposes in life will hopefully be assuming the role of a nurturing and caring mother to my child or children, and being a loving wife to my soulmate. I have always worked with children in my dance studio, and have always felt that I belonged in a position where I would be taking care of children. Being a mother would allow me to fulfill this desire of mine, and would give me a great purpose in life.
    I would say that attempting to find your purpose in a career takes place within the first few years of working for different companies in different positions, or even carrying out one position in a company. Internships are a fantastic way for students around my age to start discovering their purposes in life, as they have the opportunity to see what they love doing, and what they hate doing. If someone finds an aspect of their job that they really enjoy and feel that it is necessary for them to continue doing it, that would be a purpose of theirs. I think it is important that people realize that they do not have to feel immediate joy from their passions. Long term happiness is the most important part of finding your purpose in life, and it may take many failures and upsets before it is achieved. I am excited to see what passions I end up finding as I go through life, as I feel that the opportunities for me are endless.

17. Alexa M March 22, 2018 at 10:43 pm #

Just like many other college students, I have yet to find my purpose. I thought I’ve come close to knowing my purpose many times, but when I’ve gotten close enough I’ve realized that none of them had made me feel what I had expected. As a high school student I was worked so hard to get straight A’s in hopes of becoming a pediatrician one day. I took many science courses that I enjoyed very much and I was certain that becoming a pediatrician would be my life’s purpose. As I got into my junior year of high school, I started shadowing my own pediatrician that I had known my entire life. After a couple of weeks, I realized that I didn’t want to be a pediatrician. I didn’t want to be in school for almost 8 years and have to be in residency for about an additional 2 years. I also realized I did not want to deal with small children.
    After this realization that I was not going to be a pediatrician, I wanted to try to get insight into another science field. So, going into my senior year I decided to take an advanced chemistry course. I knew nothing about chemistry but after a few months, I fell in love with it and determined that I wanted to either become a pharmaceutical scientist or a pharmacist. My grandparents owned a pharmacy that I had visited every now and then to get a feel for what my life would be like in the pharmaceutical field. I ended up applying to several colleges’ pharmacy programs and sooner or later I was accepted into the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program at the University of Rhode Island. I was thrilled for this chapter in my life and thought I had found my life’s passion. After about a year and a half when I started taking an organic chemistry course I had realized that I did not like chemistry as much as I thought. I started having major doubts and I was devastated that I wasted almost two years of my life spending time learning about something I wanted nothing to do with anymore.
    In my next semester, I started taking some general courses that I could apply to other majors to make sure I wouldn’t lose any credits. After a few business courses, I realized I wanted to be a business major. Growing up, my father started his own business and I had worked there for several years and never imagined that my father is what I wanted to be. I did a lot of thinking and decided that I was going to transfer out of URI and come back to New Jersey specifically to work for my father’s company to get some real insight that I could use in the future. I decided to choose a local college because I wanted to be able to go to get my degree and gain hands-on experience at the same time. Now that I am looking back to about two years ago when I decided to make my decision, I know I made the right decision and could not be happier with it today. I have a hunch that I want to be an entrepreneur, but I agree with this article that to find your purpose it takes hard work and dedication. I also agree that it takes a lot of learning about yourself to figure out your interests and what you are passionate about. I hope to find my purpose as an entrepreneur, but this article has given me great advice to never give up on finding my purpose even if it takes longer than expected.

18. Christopher Salimbene March 23, 2018 at 5:31 pm #

A key factor of everyone’s lives is to find something that they would enjoy to do for the rest of their life. However, some struggle to find what they have a passion for in life and determine their dream career for the future. Me for example, during my senior year of high school, I struggled with determining which major would fit me the best between criminal justice, business, or computer science but many people recommended business to me because it had connections to do with what I plan to do after college while criminal justice wasn’t a path that majority of people saw me doing as a career. There are people that find their passion at an early age while there are those that take years to find their main goals in life even if its during college. I believe that if people already know what they want to do for their future at a young age, they would be all set with their lifetime goals while those that wait until college would take more time to adapt with a passion that best fits them. For example, Derek Jeter mentioned that playing baseball at an early age showed that his main passion was baseball and it was something he wanted to live up to as a career which made his life so much easier. Everyone ends up finding their passion for life at different moments especially after a time when they enjoyed a certain activity. All that matters is that people choose wisely at what their main passion is and it can even take years to determine that rather than rush it and feel uncomfortable with something that isn’t their interest at all.

In addition, finding a particular propose of life involves a variety of stages that people must encounter in order to determine their true passion of the future. Some of these stages include talking to a high school counselor, determining strengths and weaknesses toward classes, and hobbies that interest you the most. For example, students wouldn’t prefer to be a biology major when that’s a subject that they struggle with the most and would rather be a business major which could be one of their strengths. Also, talking to a high school counselor is highly recommended for students because it allows them to organize a plan for what they want to do for either college or working after high school and reduces stress from those that struggle to figure out their main purpose in life. Those that talk to someone in high school about the best destination for college or what major would best fit them have a better chance of having a bright future rather than those that are undeclared midway through college or don’t attend a university. Having favorite hobbies help people find their passion of life faster because half of these people dream to become professional athletes either in the NFL, NBA, or MLB, and playing a particular sport as a kid would allow them to have enough experience to advance to the professional level. If people have a certain passion in life, they should continue to follow that passion so therefore, they have a purpose of what to do for their life.

In finding the purpose for my life, I believe that having someone to talk to would increase the chances of me finding my dream career in life and choosing the best college and major that would help me pursuit that career. By someone or people giving me support, it represents that they have faith me in of accomplishing my lifetime goals and people that will be there for me whenever I struggle. For example, author Declan mentions in the article that one of his purposes in life is to be a husband or father, which he could only find one person that would satisfied his relationship with someone that he would love forever. I have a few purposes in life but my main one is to receive a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management and earn a career as a sports scout for professional athletes. I was a former student athlete back in high school with a high knowledge in sports and earning a job that interests me the best in Sports Management would make my life more comfortable and happy with something that interests me the best. Similar to what the author mentioned, becoming a husband or father would fulfill my life because I would get to spend the rest of my life with someone that makes me delighted and in a better mood more often. Overall, I am excited to see what passions I would end up with as I explore life and the opportunities I have waiting for me that help complete my goals for a positive future.

19. Pasquale V April 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm #

Stress levels are at an all-time high for college students, well at least for me they are. After reading this article it definitely calmed my nerves about the realities of life. Getting good grades, making all your classes, getting to work on time, graduating, finding a full time job, getting married, etc. The real world is coming and it is coming fast. I feel like many kids our age worry about their future because we live in a world where we have most answers right at our finger tips. Phones have mad people information crazy. Since we don’t know what lies in our future people are going crazy because they are living without knowing something.

I personally stress over this very thing all the time. Not because I don’t know, but because I feel like I have so much on the line. After spending all this money on my education, as well as constant fights with my parents over school and other things I feel like I owe it to them to become something. It is up to me completely to make a name for myself. That alone is what I feel intimidates kids my age. Sadly, I used to rely on my parents for everything but as I got older I learned to do things by myself for myself. That in itself I feel what ultimately will give me purpose. To do things that better my life each day, will sooner or later bring me to the realization of what my purpose truly is. Until then I feel like it is important to enjoy the journey there.

20. Daniel Kim April 5, 2018 at 11:04 pm #

As college seniors prepare for graduation, one of the most common issues is discovering one’s purpose after leaving school. There are many opportunities out there. However, seniors and recent graduates do not know about these potential prospects because they may be unsure of their career interests. In addition, many college graduates leave their schools with enormous student loans. For example, one person borrowed $25,000 from federal loans and $75,000 from private loans. He eventually had to pay back $110,000. Another case involves someone with an obsolete degree because of technological advancement. Although college students may worry about their classes, many people who were once in their shoes often gave insightful advice. From the Huffington Post, the editors advocate for college students to gain outside experience such as internships, study abroad, and make good friends who will enrich your lives and respect you as individuals.
    However, creating these meaningful experiences often take time and effort. This may mean taking the time to make deep connections with professors, friends, and other associates who will be there no matter where life may take someone. This may also mean having to create time to make one’s resume and quality cover letter to express one’s skills. However, to know one’s skills, a college student will have to think and often learn about his or her unique traits and qualities. This is something that older students or professionals often advise to younger students. However, for many freshmen, they may be more concerned with solely their schoolwork, their outward appearances, and fun experiences. Although attending frat parties is more fun than reading and completing assignments on a Thursday night, establishing self-discipline is one of the most crucial components for success later on.
    Nowadays, young people in general often fall trap to instant gratification. One of the most common reasons is that young people are often impulsive. This is because they are young and often do not experience life-altering moments that change their perceptions of time. Another reason for instant gratification is evolutionary. Back in the prehistoric era, humans were always uncertain about their next meal so they needed to seize every opportunity whenever possible. Overcoming this trait is certainly more difficult with the current environment that we live in. We now live in an age where we can easily binge-watch our favorite shows on Netflix and listen to our favorite music. Not only that, we constantly have information on our hands. For students who are trying to figure out their roles in this hectic world, the current situation makes it difficult for them to take the time and determine their values and virtues. If more students do not listen to the buzz and instead focus on developing themselves, they would be better off for the future.
    (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/reasons-to-college)
    (https://www.bankrate.com/finance/student-loans/student-loan-horror-stories-1.aspx)
    (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/college-advice_n_3948944.html)