Ad Blocking

from Seth Godin

By most accounts, more and more people are automatically blocking the ads in their browser.

Of course, people have been blocking ads forever. By ignoring them.

Fifteen years ago, when I began writing about Permission Marketing, I pointed out that when ads are optional, it’s only anticipated, personal and relevant ones that will pay off.

And advertisers have had fifteen years to show self restraint. They’ve had the chance to not secretly track people, set cookies for their own benefit, insert popunders and popovers and poparounds, and mostly, deliver us ads we actually want to see.

Alas, it was probably too much to ask. And so, in the face of a relentless race to the bottom, users are taking control, using a sledgehammer to block them all. It’s not easy to develop a white list, not easy to create an ad blocker that is smart enough to merely block the selfish and annoying ads. And so, just as the default for some advertisers is, “if it’s not against the law and it’s cheap, do it,” the new generation of ad blockers is starting from the place of, “delete all.”

Ad blockers undermine a fundamental principle of media, one that goes back a hundred years: Free content in exchange for attention. The thing is, the FCC kept the ad part in check with TV, and paper costs did the same thing for magazines and newspapers. But on the web, more and more people have come to believe that the deal doesn’t work, and so they’re unilaterally abrogating it. They don’t miss the ads, and they don’t miss the snooping of their data.

, ,

76 Responses to Ad Blocking

1. Stephanie Nwaiwu March 18, 2016 at 2:10 pm #

Adblock pro is running on my Google Chrome browser right now. As a marketing major who wants to go into social media marketing, etc I’ve realized that me using this is a bit ironic. If I make it to where I want to be, ad block would be a huge pain in my side because all of those ad’s that I generate not even having a chance to be seen is annoying. The thing with advertisements is that without adblock, there is still a chance that your ad may not be seen, but there also is a chance that your ad may be seen. Adblock removes that chance all together, straight up guaranteeing that your ad will not be seen on sites. But like this article says, people have been subconsciously ‘adblocking’ advertisements by simply ignoring them. But this actually is very true. The hundreds of ad’s we were bombarded with before tools like adblock came out are indicative of what the advertising industry has become today. Like Godin says in the article, advertisers are thinking ‘is it’s not against the law and it’s cheap, do it’
    This is something that as a future marketer or advertiser I can learn a lot from. What are the ads that I don’t like? What are the common denominators in the one’s I do? Why did I block ads in the first place? How can I make sure that my ad is less of an annoyance and more of a point of interest? Those are the questions that could help better the advertising world. While Ad-Blocker will never be some sort of obsolete, there are definitely ways to go around it. Like Forbes the website has done, you cannot enter there site unless you turn off your adblocker. Consequently, I haven’t been on the Forbes website since they started that. I guess, personally it’s easier to find another article or just leave the site all together than to turn of my ad blocker. What does that say about me and my generation? It’s also something to learn from. Rebelling against the advent of adblockers may not be the way to solve the problem. Meeting in the middle is the best way about it it seems. Trying to find a way to bring better quality ad’s to this generation while not annoying them and prompting the use of adblocker software. That is what needs to be analyzed if they don’t want this problem to become bigger than it already is.

2. Jonathan Barcelos March 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm #

This article hit every point about ad blockers. People use them all the time because most advertisement today is for something that the viewer will never need or use. For example, whenever i am on youtube, or a website, i get ads for car insurance or colleges that i would never attend. These ads do nothing but waste my time, and quite frankly, their money. It goes without saying that these companies or establishments are not using the information gathered by cookies to their advantage, they are instead seeing a very very minor interest in similar services they provide. But coming from that angle, they are never going to gain customers or people who WANT to watch their ads. It is true, people ignore ads all the time, even though we are exposed on average to over 10000 advertisements a day without even noticing it. The author of this article points out the following points hat were very true about advertisement today and how companies need to see it:

The best marketing isn’t advertising, it’s a well-designed and remarkable product.

The best way to contact your users is by earning the privilege to contact them, over time.

Horizontally spread ideas (person to person) are far more effective than top-down vertical advertising.

More data isn’t the point. Data to serve explicit promises is the point.

Commodity products can’t expect to easily build a profitable ‘brand’ with nothing but repetitive jingles and noise.

Media properties that celebrate their ads (like Vogue) will continue to thrive, because the best advertising is the advertising we would miss if it was gone.

These are all key points that make advertisement today annoying and useless. If for example i saw an ad for a video game that caught my eye, i would look into it, or if i saw an ad for something soccer related, i would look into that too, but instead i see services that people do not even buy everyday, like car insurance or phone companies. Like the author said, and said it best, you need to make a product in the interest of your users, not an ad to gain customers. Advertisers today need to either make their advertisements more individualized, and personal, or they need to just make a good product that sells itself. For example, we very rarely see an apple commercial, but when we do it is just to highlight a new product or feature, but they do not batter us with these ads, its a one and done. And yet with such few advertisements, they still sell in the millions, and billions worldwide. It goes without saying that the product or service itself needs to be good in order to gain customers, not the ad. Ads are easily ignored, something we need is not. And i hope Steph knows this when she goes into social media marketing ^^

3. Felicia Benjamin March 18, 2016 at 6:56 pm #

It is alarming that when we as members of society glance to the outskirts of sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Google we are bombarded with advertisements tailored to our interest. It is scary that a little black box view, and correspondingly a series of coded numbers can manipulate us to become inclined to consume. The ads on the side of our screen appeal to us, and they want us to click on them. Ads “secretly track people” by tracking consumer online activity and present content people “actually want to see”. This is obviously a problem. When you cannot stop the problem, you find a solution. First citizens decided just to ignore these tailored advertisements, now we have evolved to blocking them completely. With that said, advertisements are not completely detrimental to society. The purpose of ads are to enhance the life of the consumer by drawing their attention to an unknown product or service, as well as to generate new sources of income and profit for the advertised company and the site displaying the ad. The ads therefore aren’t the problem. The problem lies in the method in which sites decide which ads to display, and to whom.
    A product is only as strong as the brand. A well-known brand gains leverage to grow and becomes more likely to expand and diversify into different markets. Therefore it would be reasonable for companies to promote their brands on every platform in order to gain brand exposure so that their products can reach their widest range of potential consumers to buy that product. On the surface, it may appear as though the platforms used in the past, such as newspapers, magazines, and radio, are become inferior to the almighty internet. As society’s reliance on the internet increases, business are obviously going to decipher a strategy to take advantage of this highly active territory. The internet plays a significant role in the everyday life of an average civilian. We resort to the internet for knowledge, entertainment, and academic purposes. Many of us spend unimaginable amounts of time surfing the web, and many functions such as tv and movie streaming have found their way onto the digital world. Ad blocking undermines the growth of brand who generate substantial revenue from internet advertisements. Advertisements are now being restricted from the view of those who are intended to view it. Consumers are not able to see the ads that business want the consumer to see. Instead they are wasting money to produce ads that no one want to see, that’s ironic.
    The main reason why people do not appreciate ads that appear on the side of other websites they visit is that people assume these ads are connected to computer viruses. We are taught not to click them. We fear for the health of our computer systems and we do not even want to hear the words ad and pop up, let alone see either. I’m not certain the relationship between advertisements and viruses but advertisements can be a beneficial part of surfing the web. They introduce you to new websites, and encourage a healthy level of inquisitively because they allow you to jump from one page to another, in the pursuit of new ideas. Advertisements and intriguing marketing are the foundation to any thriving business or useful product. However, industries may benefit from utilizing the internet efficiently without infringing privacy rights of their potential consumers. Without consumers, businesses would not thrive, so they might need to take a deeper look into the root of the problem to solve it, or stop wasting money to produce ads that will end up being blocked by an angry viewer.

4. Sam Sheikh March 19, 2016 at 5:27 pm #

I view this situation as businesses taking advantage of a good thing. People were lenient with the advertisements for a long time and the businesses got greedier and greedier as time went on. Enough so that people have now needed to block all these advertisements. Consumers are not really losing anything by blocking ads, the only people losing out are the businesses. The article makes good points on steps businesses need to take to combat their advertisements being blocked. Businesses need to focus on their customers instead of shoving products in their face. I personally like this because I believe this will lead to businesses created better products to better suit their consumers instead of relying on flashy advertisements to convince people to purchase their product.

5. TJK April 10, 2016 at 12:19 am #

When browsing the web we all encounter one major, unavoidable nuisance, ads. Ads are found everywhere, every web home page, loading screen or social media site. They pop up and attempt to catch your eye and draw you into their product or service. I, like most consumers, choose to consistently ignore these ads at every stop until I almost don’t realize they are there. I 100% agree with this article. At some point advertisers do have to wake up and change the game. Their continuous oversaturation of the same old ads make them so avoidable and bland. The game needs to be changed and their customers need to be reached, I believe using online, collectable data about their customers is one tactic that is showing signs of this change. Have you ever been shopping for shoes and then start to see shoe ads on the side of your Facebook? This is the advertisers’ using your search to reach you with their product. I still believe that there is more to be done by advertisers to escape the mundane online ads that we all have become accustomed to. The web is a place of endless possibilities and advertising need to help unblock the ignorance from them to truly make a difference in consumer tastes.

6. A.M April 10, 2016 at 2:49 am #

It’s understandable that people advertise online on websites to attract viewers to certain product or service. However, the issues lie beneath advertisements that distract the viewer from surfing the internet, and forces him/her to go through the advertisement regardless of the viewer decision. Which forces people to use such addons to prevent advertisements from appearing and bothering the viewer. I think if people wanted to advertise, they have to make a great design of their product or service, and share it in an appropriate way to attract viewers. Rather than force them to go through an annoying ad. I personally use ad blocker and I’m completely satisfied with it. I use the internet constantly, and I come across so many ads that pops up automatically, which is very disturbing.

7. M.A April 10, 2016 at 5:11 am #

Companies tend to advertise online, because most people are not on the Internet. People use the Internet for almost everything in daily basis, and advertisers take advantage of that. But the problem with those is that it is so disturbing when an ad just pops up out of nowhere, and it takes time to get rid of it. Some of them you can skip it right away, but most of them cannot be skipped until they finish, which takes 15 seconds at most. It gives a sense that the customers are being forced to watch random ads that pop up. What scares me is when advertisers set up cookies so that they can find the appropriate ad that could catch my attention. For example, I once searched for headphones and games on another website. After that, I found several ads about headphones and games on my Facebook.
    It is a question in my mind if setting cookies and tracking customers is considered as breaking their privacy or not. Personally, I use ad block in my Google Chrome, which makes surfing the Internet easier and convenient. Finally, I do not know why companies spend money and invest to advertise online, and they know people are using ad blocker.

8. C. Goodwin April 10, 2016 at 1:02 pm #

I remember the days where if you went to the wrong website you found on a Google Search you could end up on a website where you were bombarded by 5, 10 or even 15 pop ups. This required you to close your internet browser and restart all over again and remember not to click that link. Pop ups were a form of immediate spam and really had no purpose because most pop up were just ignored as they were partnered with 10 other pop ups. We would then supply our browsers with add-ons that would block ads and so on. Luckily we now are in a state that we either do not encounter these endless popups anymore or the browsers are just now self-sufficient in blocking these on our behalf. While most of the ads were considered spam, it makes me wonder if some companies actually spent money in advertising their wholesome company. I mean it sounds like a good deal, to have your ad pop up right in the face of the targeted user. But what they failed to think about was that as soon as something pops up, users automatically are programmed to exit out of the ad and not really look at the content of the message. The new version of pop ups are just sidebar ads on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, these are less intrusive but effective ways to advertise the company they are trying to market. I am for one happy that these pop-ups have gone away and new forms of advertising have arisen.

9. Charles Wilks April 10, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

Ad blocking continues to be such an important ongoing current event issue in our world today. Marketing and advertising is one of the most lucrative fields and is the reason for so many companies to be profitable. Ad blocking has become a serious issue and there are both positive and negatives to this issue.

Yes, ad blocker for the consumer and their personal leisure is great. I would love to use my smartphone and go onto the internet without having any ads pop up. Or do a google search and not have any pop up windows trying to sell me on products. Having ad blockers is convenient and can create someone’s technology filled life a lot easier.

However, advertisements are a way of life. Without advertisements, how would people know about products. Also, advertisements are why companies stay in business. For instance, TV stations only make their profits on their advertisements. Same for a youtube star or a blogger.

We need to come up with a way to make ads less irritating but not completely avoidable because they are essential to the economy.

10. WK May 23, 2016 at 8:59 pm #

I have never been a user of any ad blocking software. I spend a huge amount of time on the computer and on the internet doing homework, research, or just in my free time, and I often come face to face with ads – hundreds per day. Some websites are particularly bothersome when advertisements partially obstruct content and do not disappear after a certain time period. However, I simply avoid such pages altogether, as the designers of the website were clearly more focused on revenue as opposed to providing content to their visitors. That is, marketers pay websites to host their ads – the more ads present, the more money the website can make. I’m much more forgiving to sites with more conservative advertisements, as the content is usually more readily available – I also understand that many websites need to allow at least some advertisements to make money and continue operating. In a way, I view ad blocking software as undercutting a source of income for a website; if a website is conservative with the number of advertisements already, I wouldn’t feel good denying them potential revenue.

This article, however, makes me look at things another way: from the perspective of the marketers themselves. Marketers clearly aren’t doing a very good job at advertising based on the interests of the website visitors. I’m all for targeted advertising if it would give me solely advertisements I would genuinely enjoy, yet I find myself annoyed at just about every ad I see. Although I don’t use ad blocking software, I suppose I can sympathize with those who do. Putting up with ads to support websites, and maybe eventually see an ad that is appealing, is not worth the tons of annoyance that online advertisers cause, for many people anyway. So long as it remains legal, I can only see the popularity of ad blocking software continuing to increase. Will this ever have such a detrimental effect on the business-end of websites that it causes them to shut down? This remains to be seen, but at some point something has to give. Either the relentless barrage of advertisements has to cease (or at least settle down), or websites will have to find some way to concretely and permanently prevent ad blocking software.

11. Sabrina Julien May 27, 2016 at 2:12 am #

I hate when I am online conducting research on an assignment and an ad pops up ! It is not only extremely distracting, but annoying. My biggest pet peeve, is when I am required to disable my ad blocker in order to visit a certain site. Sometimes, I just find an alternative site just so I do not encounter ads. My ad blocker is always enabled. It allows me to go online and accomplish what I came to do in a timely fashion. It is cool how technology is set up. For example, one day I can be on a shopping website, like Amazon searching for pots, then the next day I can be conducting research on a educational website and out of the corner of my eye, I see an ad on pots appear. Thats how advanced technology is. The reason my ad blocker is always enabled, is because I know that I am always easily distracted. These ads are always something I am somewhat interested in.
         For businesses, I feel like ads come in handy for them and it is a good form of adverting. However, I personally have never brought a product from clicking on an ad. I truly believe a great deal of us, just ignore these ads. Sometimes the ad can be a very attractive offer, but I just will not click on it. I always feel like these online ads cannot be trusted and it will bring me to a site that will give my computer a virus or cause some kind of issue. There are times when I even think these ads are scams. Advertisers need to come up with a new approach so that consumers will feel more comfortable clicking on their ads. They need to break down what makes their ad so annoying and what are some other reasons people have for enabling ad blockers to keep them away. Advertisers are spending millions of dollars on ads no one is seeing. It is a waste of their money, if these ads aren’t being seen by consumers.

12. Joe Murdaco October 19, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

Generally, no one pays attention to the commercials on the TV unless there are advertising something that they may need or want. The typical male would disregard any makeup commercials because they have no need to purchase the product. Women might not watch a commercial for something only men would need. This is the problem advertising companies face. Their product normally would not appeal to everyone because not everyone would have a specific need for it. That is why we are starting to see ads that are generated just for us on whatever platform we are using. The computers and organizations have created algorithms so they can track what we are looking for online. By using their calculations, they are then able to only display popup ads that we are accustomed to looking at. Pretty remarkable. In fact, I was recently looking up the menu for Subway on my laptop to decide what I wanted to get for lunch. A few hours later, I was on the computer looking up articles to use for a paper I was writing and Subway ads kept popping up on the sides of the screen. It was like they were reading my mind. However, they basically were. It happens all the time where the ads that popup are relevant to my recent searches on Google. I would not have looked at the ads at all if they did not pertain to anything I needed.
    The best way to advertise is by word of mouth. I am more likely to buy something if someone close to me that I trust tells me they like the product. Watching paid actors talk on TV about how much they loved the product does nothing for me. I usually do not even pay attention to those commercials. A company makes money off of their reputation. The higher the reputation, the higher the sales. The best way to build reputation is by having its customers talk to people they know.
    There are some ads that will survive no matter what the customer base is. Commercials like Victoria Secret and Vogue have strong chances of making it just because of their sexual appeal. This is not right but it is true. The best ads are actually the product itself. Having a great product that can appeal to anyone is the best way to increase sales. The best way to do this would be to find a need that is common to a lot of people and invent a product that fixes that need. If the company proves to the people that their invention is going to change their lives and that the product is new and different, they are sure to increase sales. I am constantly looking up products but usually after I determine that I need them.
    The jingles and songs that companies use in their commercials do not always help like they think. Of course we all know the songs from the TV or radio ad and we can sing them all the time. They usually involve the phone number and they constantly get stuck in our heads. For example, the “1-877-Kars for Kids” jingle that most of us know. Most of the time we know the song but not what the actual product is or why we are singing the song. This is not a great way to advertise.
    Ads are an important way to make money for businesses but at what cost. They usually annoy us to death and no one actually watches commercials unless it is during the Super Bowl. They cost a lot of money and a lot of people do not notice the products. I bought a lot of things from the “you may also like” section of the websites but that means they are looking at what we search online. That I am not a fan of.

13. Margaret Klich October 20, 2016 at 12:00 pm #

Within the development of big data, marketing has increasingly improved to target and manipulate the consumer. All the data marketing agencies get contracted from companies to analyze and create ads that specifically target markets of people. For instance, most people have a shopper card to either a grocery store, convenience store, or other retail companies. These cards individuals use to get certain products at a discounted price. When you enter in your number or scan your card, the company is tracking what products you buy. They not only do this to learn what consumers buy, but also to see if some of their displays were effective, effective marketing within the store (like a commercial that played), and even to learn about your purchasing habits to try to change or manipulate it. If every trip, you buy Oreo cookies, the company might be inclined to move the product after a period of time, or move other products next to it to trigger the consumer to make an impulse purchase.

In the same way that companies use shopper cards, they also use advertisements to keep the brand name in consumers head. I’ve read in the past that majority of commercials on the radio play because individuals usually only listen to the radio in the car right before they make a purchasing decision. Similarly, ads on computers pop up to trigger an individual from going out of their comfort zone and purchasing either a new product or new brand name because they were conditioned to do so. After people getting ads all over their computer, some individuals have a wall that come up internally and they might have negative feelings if they are annoyed. That being said, marketing is effective when individuals do not noticed they are being persuaded to buy or perform a certain action that the marketing sets out to do.

14. Jason Salazar October 21, 2016 at 10:01 am #

For some people most ads on TV do not grab their attention. For me every time I am watch a show and it is on commercials, I usually change the channel or not even focus on the commercial they are showing. For example, I do not want to see commercials that do not interest me such as clothing for women or makeup. The ads that are put on are sometimes directed for a specific audience, in that case it would be women. Sure some commercials do grab my attention sometime but that does not mean I want it enough. Now on the web there are more ads that are meant for us because the websites are setting cookies for their benefits. That means if I were to search up something one day, an ad for the thing I searched up can pop up when I am back on the web. The article talks about how these types of ads do not work for people. I seem to agree on it as well. The only type of ads that grab my attention could be the cookies they use on the web because they are actually targeting what you were searching for. People tend to block ads because some feel like it can be annoying. I actually sometimes do get annoyed of seeing the same ad every time I use the internet or it is on the TV. Sometimes I feel like they play it too much or overdue it. This article says there are better ways to market your product than just using advertisements. I never really went out to go get a product just because I saw a commercial on it. The ads that made me do that were the food ads but not actual product ads. They say it is better to make products for your customers, instead of finding customers for your product. To me this is something that sounds smart. They should reach out to the people they know will probably like their products and make stuff for them. For example, I like electronics and gaming; if they had constant emails or ads popping up for me about them I might go out and buy something that interests me. The brand cannot make a commercial too repetitive, it makes them get annoying or people will just end up ignoring it. They need to try other things because the type of ads they put out may not actually be working. Basically, the companies who are selling things must make their products the best they can. It will bring customers who can actually tell others about the experience if they enjoyed the product or service. Ads cost a lot of money to make, and sometimes they are not even noticed. We all know the most important time of the year to have an ad out is during the super bowl. That will cost you million, but we know for a fact that millions of people will be watching. Even so they might enjoy the commercial but does not make them go out and buy it. Companies think because someone might enjoy the commercial they will be hooked on ad lead them to buy it. In many cases it is not true. I for one do not fall for ads, it is just something that will not make me that interested. If I were to hear about a product from someone else, then maybe I would want to check it out. If I know other people are enjoying the products, I would want to be a part of that as well.

15. Sami C. October 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm #

This blog about ad blocking has made points in which some I agree with and others I strongly disagree with. Seth Godin made a good point by saying that the most successful ads are the ones which are the most relevant and personal to the consumer. Based on my experience at my marketing internship, I have seen this idea to be completely accurate. We launched an advertisement online to target a specific market. The campaign was a success and we ended up getting some feedback from consumers who viewed it. They talked about how the advertisement caught their eye from all the rest of advertisements out there because it was in line with what they wanted from the product. I feel like Seth just was saying this is hypothetical and because it has not been done, Internet users are just consumed with general advertisements. Due to this, these users are ad blocking everything because of ad overload.

I think the ad blocking abilities should not allow Internet users to block all of the advertisements, or at least most of them. The Internet is a free platform for consumers to use to access websites of products that they are interested in or social media. One of the ways in which companies can keep their website and content free is by selling advertisement space to other companies. For instance, Facebook lets companies advertise to its members through Facebook. This is one of the ways that Facebook keeps its services free to the members. This is just one example of Internet advertising. If ad-blocking services decrease the effectiveness of advertisements, then companies will stop spending money through these channels. This could potentially impact Internet consumers because their websites could stop being free for them to use. Is it really worth it to people to block ads if it means potentially having to pay for a Facebook membership? If you do not think the advertisement is pertinent to you, just ignore it.

A lot of the previous blog comments talked about how the reason they use ad blockers because they think the ads are not significant to them. Yet, M.A talked about how when companies put cookies in to track what the consumers want and target that. This person was wondering if it interferes with their privacy or not. Internet users need to pick a side on whether or not they want advertisements tailored to what they want or not. These users get annoyed when the advertisements are pointless, yet they get protective if companies want to track them to personalize advertisements. It seems like no matter what, consumers are not happy.

On a more positive note, I did like Seth’s piece on what makes more successful advertisements, such as “more data isn’t the point. Data to serve explicit promises is the point”. Data can be just a number of statistics. However, using it to form information about a certain target market can make the online advertisement more likely to direct consumers to purchase the product. Another point of his that I enjoyed was that the best advertisements are the ones we would miss if they were no longer there. He mentioned Vogue as an example. I think of perfume examples when I reflect on women’s magazines. I like to smell all the different fragrances and potentially buy one if I like it enough. I know it is an advertisement, but I do not really think about it as one while I smell the page. If there were no longer these advertisement I would miss sniffing the fragrances. Grabbing the consumers’ attention is the point, so if you miss the advertisement it was obviously important in some regards to you. Overall, I think Seth made some good points, however, I mostly disagree with his statements.

16. Briann Downes October 25, 2016 at 1:17 pm #

As a future marketer, ad blocking is an obstacle for me. A large part of the marketing and advertising companies invest in is on social media and the Internet. Companies take time to produce ads that appear on these sites and are left to question: for what purpose? To simply be blocked by ad-blockers? The article discusses how online consumers are fed up with ads in their browser. It talks about how despite the use of ad blockers, consumers are blocking ads all the time by ignoring them. I find this fact to be true for myself. I always scroll past the ads on my Instagram feed and I certainly never pay attention to the ads that pop up in my browser based on something that I recently did a Google search on. The sad truth is that ads are bypassed all the time.
    Godin, in the article, states that the best marketing is not advertising, but rather the remarkable product itself. I agree that the product must be well developed; yet, I do not agree that advertising must be thrown out the window. Instead, advertising needs to be improved. Is it possible that we are in need of a new media property? In the meantime, however, we need to work on creating higher quality advertisements. What is the consumer annoyed by in the advertisements? What is going to stand out to the consumer? What marketing strategies can be used to improve the ad? These are the questions that need to be answered in order to solve this problem. One solution could be interactive ads where the consumer actually becomes involved and invested in the ad. Other marketing strategies such as promoting a product through free samples or a contest may need to work alongside the advertisement. I feel as if advertisements that extend beyond the typical content deserve a place in browsers and can still be successful in reaching consumers.

17. Luke C March 8, 2019 at 2:08 pm #

As a generation brought up by the internet, I think we’ve become numb to online social advertisements, and that’s why many people turn to the use of Ad-blockers. I myself use AdBlock Plus on my home computer as well as my laptop, and I’m still counting down the days where AdBlock becomes available for mobile devices. I believe the AdBlock movement stemmed from users wanting to control their media intake, and I stand behind that. There have been countless studies on the affects of social media on our minds related to screen time per day, yet there aren’t as many studies on the affects of advertisements we see during that time. For example, most people today can go to Google, type in jump ropes, and not 15 mins later they’d start receiving ads on sperate aps/websites from Amazon. This type of advertisement seems like a great idea for marketers; they searched for jump ropes, so they must be the best person to market them to. In theory, they’d be correct, but it has come to a point where the users minds are being overstimulated by these ads, making them overall, less affective.
    Proper marketing is key for large corporations to stay in business, but what is the limit to the marketing? And example of bad overstimulation through marketing are the ads run on YouTube videos. Whenever people have any issues, their go-to fix is to look up a video on YouTube, yet when they find a video, they must sit through an ad before the video begins, as well as ads in the middle of the video. The internet has come to a point where in order to view information we search for, we must forcibly sit through marketing attempts by companies that might not even interest us. The resolution for users: AdBlock. This finally gives users a way to limit these advertisements, and this article does a fantastic job of explaining how to build the fundamental advertising techniques. Have a well-designed product, work hard to communicate with users by earning the privilege to contact them, and realizing when the spread of too much data can be harmful to the product/service.
    It’s sad to realize media companies and smartphone aps rely on advertisers in order to stay afloat, and I believe that is the biggest issue our community faces today. We would love to limit what we see, just like how we can limit what we eat or limit screen time in general, yet there are still hurdles to jump through. In order to have less ads, the web services we use must be able to support themselves (and make a profit) WITHOUT the use of so many advertisers. Whether your advertising is top-notch or the worst advertisement in history, have a good product will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether or not people buy the good/service. Obviously, the marketing and advertising world are what drive culture and cultivate ideas, but allowing users to take more control over what they see will most likely HELP in the fight against over-advertisement.

18. David Torres March 8, 2019 at 6:24 pm #

There’s no denying that as we progress further into the technology era, marketing has become more complex than ever before. To my experience, telemarketers are falling off the wagon because people really get frustrated and just do not want to be bothered by people trying to sell them something. However, marketing for all types of companies are going to start to struggle because of this new concept of seeking ways to avoid and ‘delete’ ads altogether. I think that this new way of blocking ads for good is going to have a tremendous impact on the sales, and revenue for a vast majority of companies. I like how in the article it states “Making products for your customers is far more efficient than finding customers for your products.” If you think about many companies that try to find customers that will suit their product best, but this is not the most efficient way to go about this. A smarter approach to this would be setting up an emailing list for your customers and informing them of upcoming products that will be released ahead of time.
    This will not only create anticipation for the release but also allow you to target your audience better and increase the probability that the people that received your informative email will buy the product. By using the email list approach, you are finding your niche or specific audience that sees your previous products attractive. On the other note, I think everyone can relate to being bombarded by annoying ads that clutter your screen when trying to research something for an assignment, which may distract you and resulting in a reduction in productivity. I know I have been a victim of ads distracting me while trying to do something important. I also never really knew how to block or delete those ads from showing up on my screen ever again. After reading this article, we may now have a new way to once and for all block the annoying ads that we have always wanted to. This could mean absolute chaos for companies that refuse to adapt to this change.

19. Luke Tyler March 8, 2019 at 7:05 pm #

The traditional form of advertising has mostly been through mediums like newspapers and television advertisments, but with the creation of the world wide web a lot of advertisers were left wondering what this future would look like. Years later I’m sure they didn’t expect the industry to look the way it does now. Influencer marketing, cross sponsorship and SEO. At my initial use of the internet around 2007, I remember seeing splash ads saturated all over the page making it almost unusable. That was the early nature of the internet. The logic was simple, websites would get paid for ads by companies so naturally a website would try to get as much money as possible. But, with adblockers becoming popular all over the internet, it became increasingly harder for websites to generate money through those traditional ads. After all imagine reading a newspaper with that same product placement filling half the page making text unreadable. Advertisers are now looking for more effective ways of promotion. One of the most common now is SEO, where keywords are used to best connect consumers with products on search engines.
    Another is influencer marketing which is now very prevalent on social media sites like Instagram and Twitter. Companies will pay pages to promote a product through either a repost or original content. However, I would argue that these practices have always been used by advertising companies, but now there is a huge push for it. In the past celebrities have been paid to advertise by use of their likeness through sponsorships. Yet, the push towards influencer marketing is huge now. Agencies are being created for the sole purpose of connecting companies with online personalities. The use of this type of marketing solves the major issue that was discussed before with Ad blockers. The main concern with Ad Block is that the content creators and websites don’t make any revenue if their ads are unable to be shown and in addition the companies can’t get users to see the content they are paying to promote. Influencer marketing seeks to solve this issue very efficiently. With product promotion being embedded in the content, if the consumer wants to watch the video or view a person’s page they will ultimately see the placement. In a lot of ways these techniques have solved issues and allowed for content creators to grow utilizing their following. In addition, the placements are more likely to work because creators often have loyalty amongst followers and sponsorships allow for consumers to associate products with a likeness or lifestyle. Overall I am not surprised with the transition that has been made by companies because the numbers don’t lie. I stumbled across an article on Yahoo Finance the other day stating that influencer marketing could become a $10 billion industry and I am not at all surprised that this new form of marketing will prevail for the following year.

20. Edward Holzel March 8, 2019 at 7:05 pm #

Ad blocking is something that I always do whenever I go on the internet. There are always a couple of ad popups or side bars that are advertising something for me to buy. Almost always I block them because I do not need to be distracted when on the internet. It is not because I do not like what I see. I ad-block because I just do not have time to be distracted or delayed. Every time I watch YouTube, I always must watch 5 seconds of some random ad or answer a survey. Both of these are time-consuming and utter waste of my time. Ad blocking seems to stop these time wasteful ads from my screen.

Another reason that Seth brings up in his blog that explains the use of ad blocking, is the data invasion. If I see an ad and click on it, then I just gave data to the company. Companies like Facebook make millions of dollars a year by saving people’s data and selling it to these advertising companies. I never see a penny of the millions of dollars made off of my data. Ad blocking prevents or at least slows down how effectively companies like Facebook can steal and sell my data to make a quick buck.

In all, I see how ad blocking can hurt the economy. Companies pay websites to advertise their products and sometimes that costs companies a lot of money. When I ad block, I am telling those companies that they wasted their money because I am not even going to give them a chance for me to buy their product. There are still ads on TV and the newspaper, so why do viewers get to block ads on the internet. I spent more time watching commercials on television than I spent distracted by an ad on a website. Also, ad blocking prevents data collections, which creates millions of dollars in sales. It may not be ethical, but it makes the economy healthier. Overall, Ad blocking is making companies waste and lose their money and those companies need to wake up.

21. Daniel Gibson March 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm #

Most of the time I see ads on the web, it makes me dislike the company for wasting my time. For as long as I can remember, ads have been everywhere on the internet. Advertising this way is just the worse way to market. Nobody likes them, and there’s not a lot we can do about it. I like what Seth said about people always have been blocking ads by just ignoring them. The key to ads is keeping them short and to the point. I don’t mind when I see an ad or two pop up that don’t get in my way too much. Especially when they get the point across as simple and easy as possible. Those are the type off ads I can live with it.
    I think YouTube screwed big time with what they’re doing now. Instead of showing a video, they give you some products, and let vote for your favorite. This is seriously bad, because people aren’t even going to bother and waste their time looking at the options. Their going to choose a random one without even reading which gives businesses false reviews. I mean that’s what I do at least. Ads are almost like game to people. The game is to show how avoidable you can be when they come up.
    Advertising, if done correctly, can really work. One of the best ways is hearing someone talk to you about their idea. Another tactic is knowing the audience. If you advertise walking canes, that cuts out so much of the population. The best entrepreneurs create products that can relate to everyone. They see a major problem among most people and find an idea to fix it that works for everyone. Ads in my opinion just need to go away, because chances are its not a new product, and it probably doesn’t relate to me in anyway. For example, say I see a soda ad, is that ad really going to change my opinion about buying a soda. If I want a soda, I know I’m able to physically get whenever I want. Ads like these are just a complete waste of time.

22. Divyaa Sarin March 8, 2019 at 9:10 pm #

In my opinion, ads on the internet violate so many privacy laws. I think ad blocking would be great to do however, not all websites allow this feature. One of the most common websites like YouTube purposely shows ads on videos of Youtubers who are “partnered” and gain money from the views. Personally, I find this sense of marketing quite annoying and ridiculous. Sometimes companies, like Spotify, play ads frequently so the user gets annoyed and eventually pays for the subscription! These companies purposely use ads to benefit themselves and annoy consumers.

I find it creepy how ad’s literally can follow your recent purchases or likes based on previous searches on other websites. One time when I was on Easybib.com, an ad from Amazon came up for these shoes I purchased from that website. In a way I felt completely violated! However, it seems that this is normal and happens to everyone. My uncle once told me that companies track our purchases in order to use them for consumers to keep purchasing similar items on their websites! I don’t find that hard to believe!

It seems as if ad blocking will provoke companies and it will cause marketing to decrease. Although it was mentioned in the article that ads are not the primary source of advertising, majority of the world uses the internet. Therefore, it seems that a huge loss would still occur regardless of it being the main source. However, I do think for the average consumer, ad blocking would be great. However, I believe certain ads like magazines are totally fine! In paper subscription magazines seem fine because consumers sign up for them. We shouldn’t be forced to see ads if we don’t want too. Our shopping history should be private! Companies should not have the right to go through our recent purchases.

23. Ria Bagga March 8, 2019 at 10:48 pm #

I personally am an avid adblock user. My days forced into watching television advertisements are over and controlling the content I see is far more important to me. In today’s age, advertising to users has become increasingly difficult with less people using cable, and more people streaming Netflix, where the only ads you see are sponsors integrated in the show or movie. The truth of digital media is advertisements are unwanted and forced into our attention, and for the most part, nobody really cares about a majority of the advertisements we come to watch. I believe all people have the right to use adblock, especially when so many scummy sites have manipulative advertisements saying your computer has a virus or you won a free iPad.
    I also find advertisements that use cookies to be creepy. I think seeing an advertisement on a site you’ve never been on for shoes you looked at a week ago actually turns the consumer off of buying the product. Advertisements rely on forced repetition to manipulate you into wanting a product, when the reality is, you would forget about the item in a week and never utilize it anyways.
    Ironically enough, I am a marketing major and I find it conflicting in how companies practically prey on consumers and follow their digital footsteps. I don’t think adblock should be an ethical dilemma, but perhaps online advertising needs to find new boundaries in stalking the consumer less. If there is a need for a product, google exists and allows the consumer to find it themselves.

24. Griffin Smith October 21, 2019 at 4:36 pm #

My mother is the co-founder of a small advertising agency, so I have grown up with a mother who would always watch commercials, and take pictures of billboards by the highway, so I understand why companies think they way they do when it comes to trying to push their product onto consumers. These companies have had to change the way the market their products along with the advancements in technology, younger generations are often glued to their phones for four or more hours each day, so what better place for a company to reach a young individual than through their phone.
    Even though, I still do have adblockers on my browser, when scrolling through YouTube or any social media, I despise being bugged by 15 to 30 second ads that take me away from what I was doing. They can be distracting and nowadays way overused, I will see a certain ad on YouTube 3 to 5 times in a week, and it will become repetitive, and honestly push me further away from purchasing that companies product. I also never allow cookies when I am viewing a website, because that gives these companies free will to have ads pop up on the sides of my browser for something I wanted to buy weeks ago. Younger generations get upset at the idea of advertisement, and they get turned away more from companies that are trying to push product down their throats rather than a brand that lets their consumers come to them because of the product they sell. People feel as if their privacy is being stripped from them by some of these creeping companies, after you like a picture on a companies social media account of their product, you can open a new browser, and they next ad you see will often times be for the same product you just like the picture of, and that scares a lot of consumers away from not just that single product but going online at all.
    A new way I think brands can begin advertising and marketing better is to have these younger generations begin following their social media accounts, and offer deals on Twitter and Instagram, rather than just randomly popping up on their screen, and pushing the consumer away. In the long run of things I think their needs to be more online regulations placed on companies and how they can advertise on the Internet, because most consumers will continue blocking them until there is a change.

25. Anthony Whelan October 22, 2019 at 8:29 pm #

I have always been skeptical about the value of advertisements, particularly over the internet. I cannot think of an instance where an advertisement I found on the side of a web page, or at the beginning of a video, influenced me to purchase a product or become more loyal to a brand. Still, companies invest billions of dollars into researching for, and producing, advertisements every year, so clearly there is some benefit. However, many of the ads displayed online are extremely invasive. Some of these ads take up the entire screen when your first open a site, while others start automatically playing a video at the highest volume, and are hidden at the bottom of the screen so you have to scroll through the page to turn it off. These ads are a major nuisance, and I would imagine make people associate negative emotions with that product or brand. To counteract this, the article discusses the growing popularity of ad blockers.

Ad blockers prevent these irritating ads from interfering with your web browsing, but as the article mentions, these ad blockers have limitations because they only offer blanket prevention, so ads that someone might actually like will also be blocked. Hopefully, this would serve as a wake up call for advertisers that their current practices are unacceptable to many internet users. I do agree with the author’s assessment that the best way to market a product is to create a quality product. When a product stands out against the competition, people will be more likely to purchase it, and if customers are satisfied with their purchase, they will recommend it to their friends and family. Focusing on quality allows consumers to see the value in the product without intrusive reminders every time they are trying to surf the web in their free time.