Bel Pesce: 5 Ways To Kill Your Dreams

from TED

All of us want to invent that game-changing product, launch that successful company, write that best-selling book. And yet so few of us actually do it. Brazilian entrepreneur Bel Pesce breaks down five easy-to-believe myths that ensure your dream projects will never come to fruition.

, ,

66 Responses to Bel Pesce: 5 Ways To Kill Your Dreams

1. Wendy Chen February 19, 2016 at 8:52 pm #

There are so many TED Talks on how to achieve your dreams, but it’s useful also know how to kill your dreams. In oral communications this semester, I learned Monroe’s Motivated Sequence for giving persuasive speeches in which the fourth step of the process is to have the audience visualize how better off they will be if they implement your proposed idea vs. how worse off they will be if they ignore your proposal. This visualization is the imagine step where it is important to see both sides of what you want, the good and the flip, similar to the way Bel Pesce introduced five myths that people believe about achieving their dreams. Rather than only practicing ways to achieve the dreams, it is also important to identify the gap between having the dreams and actually achieving the dream where different myths will lie to make those dreams projects that will never happen.
    A common myth that people believe in is the first myth where Bel Pesce introduces as believing in an overnight success. When people hear about another person’s success, they only see the actual on-stage show and act as an audience who watches and applauds for the success. However, there is a backstage to every show as there is for a person’s success story where we only read the last chapter and celebrate for that book’s happy ending. However, there is also more that we miss prior to the final outcome and of course, if you are someone that prepared for the show with the person or followed along with the characters throughout the whole book, the final outcome will be more rewarding and it will be a shared success, but otherwise, people feed in to the myth that the success was not something planned for with a long and enduring process. But they are. It is possible that someone may have struck a round of luck, but with one’s own success, it will always take more than just luck, and as people sharing the success from the outside, we should remember that every success has taken time. People cultivate their success.
    The second and fourth myth that Bel Pesce said gave a lot of power to other people when we, ourselves, are in control and responsible for our own success. Many people will look to others for answers when we need to find our own answers to achieve our own dreams. It is just as important to take responsibility for the mishaps that will come along the way to success because in admitting our own failures, we can work harder and more effectively as we improve towards the dream. My favorite myth is the last one and it also ties into the third myth where Bel Pesce says that life is never about the goal itself; it is about the journey, and during that process, we cannot settle down just because we think growth is guaranteed. I like these two myths because people often only have one dream and try their whole life to achieve that one dream, but there are so many more times that people should celebrate their smaller successes and continue working towards their larger ones. Success is a momentary sensation while life is not and we need to fully enjoy every step of the journey to every dream because that will lead us to a fulfilling and most importantly, successful life.

2. Caitlin Koska February 26, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Bel Pesce’s “5 Ways to Kill Your Dreams” is the complete opposite of every motivational speech you’ve ever heard. Rather than telling the audience what to do in order to achieve their dreams, she explains 5 tips to destroy your dreams. Her tips include; believe in overnight success, believe that someone else has the answers for you, believe that when growth is guaranteed you should settle down, believe the fault is someone else’s, and believe that only the goals themselves matter. Obviously Pesce is not actually recommending we do these things and destroy our dreams, but her inside out approach to the topic is humorous and provides a different look to a topic that is often spoken about.

Believe in overnight success. This tip was a little obvious. Nobody rational thinks they will be wildly successful overnight, but I do think it is something a lot of us hope for. It is extremely difficult to start working toward a dream of yours and keep the end in mind. It is so simple to lose sight of why you started in the first place, and give up.

Believe that someone else has the answers for you. This is a big one that I am personally guilty of. I am a horrible decision maker. When choosing a college, I wanted my parents to tell me what to do. Right now as I’m choosing my major, I want my counselor to tell me what to do. Even just going out to eat with friends, I never want to be the one to decide where we go. I know it’s a terrible habit, but I struggle with making decisions because I don’t want to make a decision that will disappoint anyone else.

Believe that when growth is guaranteed you should settle down. I have no experience with this tip because I am not yet in the business world, but I think it makes perfect sense. Pesce gave the example that she wrote a book, and she could’ve just been happy with writing a great book, and a couple thousand people would read it. But instead, she continued working, and promoted her book, getting millions of people to read it. Achieving the success you were hoping for is not always the ending point, there is always more out there to reach for.

Believe the fault is someone else’s. Gosh I think I could name hundreds of people who love to do this, and I know I am guilty of it myself. Blaming someone else is just so much easier than admitting you are at fault. However, blaming others is detrimental to a person’s success. If you are blinding yourself to the fact that you the problem, the problem will never be fixed, and the success you are looking for will never come.

And finally, believe that only the goals themselves matter. Allowing yourself to think that only achieving you goals matters is a recipe for a miserable life. It means that the entire time you’re working towards a goal, you aren’t allowing yourself to enjoy the ride. The majority of our lives are spent working towards goals, not achieving them, so it is vital you spend your time working towards goals that you actually enjoy.

3. Samantha Voltmer February 26, 2016 at 8:47 pm #

I found this Ted Talk very interesting and intriguing from the moment I read the title. At first I was slightly confused at why I would want to hear about five ways that would kill my dreams, don’t I want to follow them, and see them through? Then quickly I discovered that this Ted Talk is teaching its viewers the ways that will kill their dreams, so that we would not follow them. The speaker, Bel Pesce, introduces her topic with a very effective visual representation of the large overlap that exists between dreams and dreams never achieved. This is often too true, just think of the countless New Year’s resolutions that have never been achieved, or all the books that people talk about writing. Thus Pesce’s purpose in giving this Ted Talk is to help make dreams come true by creatively presenting five ways to kill your dreams.

The first way to kill your dream is to believe in overnight success. Nothing happens in an instant, you don’t become a multi-millionaire in the blink of an eye. You have to work hard, dedicate time and effort into achieving your goal. No one goes from rags to riches by sitting around waiting for their success. You have to be proactive, and realize that success is the measurement of what you have done leading up to the goal or the dream. Success, or your dream, is a result of all the work you have done in the past that is why it is so very important to be proactive. I want one day to be a successful businesswomen, and I know that whatever I do today, whether it be good or bad, will measure that amount of success I receive tomorrow. This is great motivation when it comes to studying for tests, it’s annoying in the moment, but essential later.

The second way to kill your dream is to listen to the advice of others. Pesce highlights that the only person who has your best interest in mind is yourself. Other people aren’t going to be able to make a decision that is solely the best option for you, because they don’t know fully what is best for you. The Third way to kill your dream, is to become successful and come to a point where you are receiving good return, and then stop striving for more. I feel as though I would fall victim to this, to become comfortable and stable that you are hardly taking any risks, and working less because you have what you wanted. However in this world, you can always find more ways to improve and achieve more than you could have ever dreamed. The fourth way to kill your dream is to believe that your lack of success is due to someone else and not yourself. I think this is the easiest way to kill your dream. It is a thousand times easier to blame someone else than yourself for your actions. The last way is to kill your dreams is to believe that the only things that matter are dreams themselves. Life is less about the goal and more about the journey. This ties into the fist way to kill your dream, it is all about how you got to that dream and all that you overcame. Overall this Ted Talk was a lot more inspirational than I first expected, and filled with great ways to change the way you think and actually obtain your dreams in life.

4. BD October 25, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

With Bel’s unconventional TED talk approach which aims to help others achieve their dreams, I found myself being obsessively focused for the entire duration of her presentation. Pesce’s explanation of the five ways to kill your dreams allowed me to see a new light in regards to the way that I tackle both my daily and long-term goals. My two favorite “killers” of one’s dreams that Pesce talked about consisted of “believing in overnight success” and that “only the goals themselves matter.” These two killers of dreams I see being “practiced” most by people I know in relation to achieving their dreams. For example, believing in overnight success implies that there is no need for a proper foundation to be established prior to achieving one’s goal. This creates a limitation and severaly decreases the chance of achieving your dreams, simply because you are not qualified or motivated enough to go out and seek opportunities. Similarly, being solely focused on the goal itself does not allow for the appreciation of the journey necessary to achieve the goal and limits growth through experiences while reaching for your goals.

In addition to limiting the possibility of someone achieving their dreams, these killers that Pesce talks about I feel are bad habits whether applying them to goals or not. After watching Pesce’s TED talk, I thought about different circumstances that the five killers can be applied to and the possibilities were endless. For example, the killer that it is someone else’s fault when something does not work or does not go according to plan is an excuse that does not offer any solutions, but rather more problems. This approach can be seen in a classroom setting, where a student gets a subpar grade and instead of accepting responsibility and try to better themselves, simply faults the teacher. This action results in two negative outcomes, first the student blames another person for the results of their own actions instead of claiming responsibility. Secondly, the student does not take advantage of the opportunity to learn to better improve upon their skills. Personally, I can relate to the inverse of this example, where I take pride in my work and if I do not apply 100% of myself I feel unaccomplished regardless of the grade. In addition to holding myself accountable for my actions, after viewing Pesce’s speech I plan on keeping these killers of dreams within reach to prevent any of these negative outcomes when it comes to myself achieving my dreams.

5. Samantha Frank October 26, 2016 at 9:09 pm #

As a college student it is easy to dream about one day getting an amazing job that you love to go to everyday or inventing some kind of product that makes you so much money. It is inevitable to have these types of dreams; it is what we get out of bed in the morning for. Having a dream is something so unique to every individual and only that individual can make the dream happen or destroy it. You can always blame someone for something going wrong in your life but in the end it comes down to you. That is one of the five main things explained in this TED talk that can destroy your dreams. The talk was very inspiring to encourage the viewers to set goals for themselves and to achieve their dreams. Many people take the easy way out and blame other people for their failed dreams or get complacent in their life or make assumptions about achieving dreams and give up.

When you are a student in college it is easy to have dreams and it is easy for those dreams to get overlooked when you are too busy stressing out about the day-to-day activities. It is important to set goals and not loose sight of them. Our lives are based on many goals, big and small, and some of those goals are dreams, something that we aspire to be in life. It is easy to crush those dreams and goals by doing the five things mentioned in the video. By keeping those five dream crushers in mind and keeping them at bay you will achieve your dreams with a little hard work and dedication.

6. Nicholas Marinelli March 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm #

Everyone has dreams- it is a human expectation, a reality that many wish and fantasize about, but very few achieve. While many of us just try and try for success, we often overlook the fact as to why this mystical realm of success is never made into a reality. Well, want to destroy your dreams? Then follow these simple 5 rules: Believe in overnight success, believe that someone else has the answers for you, believe that you should settle down once growth is guaranteed, believe the fault is someone else’s, and believe that the goals themselves are the most important thing.
    Depending on the way you follow these simple rules, either success or failure will come about. Follow these by the literal translation and you will eventually be in the same spot you are in now; follow them for what Bel Pesce is going at- and you have finally completed your mission.
    Often times, people look at start-up apps, websites, and inventions that are labeled as an overnight success and never read the true facts; there is never an overnight success. Inventors, entrepreneurs, and like-minded individuals all sacrifice time, money, resources, and family to achieve what they have. The first step is stray away from the notion that you can build Rome in a day and instead invest everything you have into making that dream a reality.
    If you have dreams it is up to you to make them happen- not your teacher, not an elite business tycoon, not your parents. It is solely the mind of the individual, the creator of the work, to get it done. Too often do people- like myself- play the blame game and land it on others. Blaming the lack of time, knowledge, resources, or team and ultimately lamenting on the passed opportunity gets people nowhere and this is something that needs to be recognized.
    Another point that stuck with me is believing that the only things that matter is the dream itself. The journey is extremely difficult and can often deter someone from achieving it. This is the point of the dream- it is supposed to be something that is perceived to be unobtainable but upon further review, there is more to it. Life is all about the journey- not just the goal and dream itself. Achieving the dream is momentary- life is not. The only way to appreciate the dream is to enjoy and embrace the journey and often times you trip during these journeys; but those trips are simply learning steps that enable you to reach your end goal. Each achievement is an incentive to do more, to continue to strive for a greater dream.
    I enjoy watching Ted Talks on my spare time, but this will probably stay with me for a very long time. Both educational and inspirational, this Ted Talk opened my eyes to who I am and why my dreams are just simply dreams.

7. Tanner Purcel March 7, 2018 at 1:48 pm #

The TED talk “5 Ways to Kill Your Dreams” by Bel Pesce not the usual motivational speech. Instead of motivating the crowd and telling them how to achieve their dreams, she tells them what not to do in order to achieve your dreams and reach success. She talks of believing in overnight success, believing that someone else has answers for you, settling for less, blaming someone else, and recognizing how the journey is just as important as the goal. Her way of going about these negative topics and still being able to motivate the listeners is impressive.
    Her five steps are all important, but the one that sticks out to me is not blaming others/something else. Almost everyone has at one point failed at something, and then put the blame, or part of the blame, on someone or something else. As hard as something might seem, it is your responsibility to get it done. This does not even just apply to life goals, but applies to everything we do, such as academics and sports. When athletes do not get enough playing time, many of them put the blame on coaches to general managers, and even though they might be part of the reason, it is the athlete’s responsibility to give the coach a reason to play him/her. Everyone has dreams, and it is up to only that individual to make their own dream happen
    As a college student, it is easy to give up on our dreams because it just does not seem like a reality. It is important to just keep working and set goals for ourselves. Personally, I set a bunch of small goals, which will hopefully help me achieve bigger goals. These five tips will be valuable to me going forward, and will ultimately help me achieve by goals.

8. BPatel March 30, 2018 at 12:28 am #

This speech was very fascinating to me because by reading the title of it made me feel somewhat negative. What grabbed my attention was that the speaker was effectively able to provide insightful and motivational tips that personally, being a college student is very helpful. In my opinion, it is very easy to blame someone else but this author does a great job in stating that there might be a problem within yourself that you are not able to see or understand. I think this is a very important skill to have because it can influence the way interactions take place in a work environment or any other place. Figuring out individual strengths and weaknesses can help a person grow and learn in the environment.
    Self-assessment is key to becoming a good leader or manager. If a person is unable to understand or work with their abilities and inabilities, then in my opinion, they are not well prepared to take on that leadership position. In addition, I was intrigued when the speaker mentioned her third tip. Personally, I always strive to keep motivating myself to do better even if I am proficient in that task. I think it is really important that as a college student there should never be a time where one decides to settle. I believe that settling is equivalent to the lack of confidence and motivation to reach a goal. Overall, I enjoyed this speech and found that it is possible to turn a negative title, like 5 ways to kill your dreams, into something positive and motivating.

9. Nathaniel B March 30, 2018 at 2:04 pm #

I enjoyed Bel Pesce’s Ted Talk, “5 ways to Kill Your Dreams” because of its truthful and valuable tips at how not to think when attempting to tackle a challenge. I think her first point, on how believing in overnight success will kill your dreams is very true. Overnight success rarely ever works, if at all. Some extremely successful businesses may even seem like an overnight success but they simply are not. Look at Facebook for example. You may think that Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook and then it blew up overnight and was worth 400 billion dollars. But he spent years mastering computer software and how to build websites and appeal to online users. Just because a concept or idea may gain popularity overnight, doesn’t mean that that individual didn’t spend many years of their life working hard. Believing someone else has your magic answer towards success is another sure way to failure. Spending your life waiting to find the answer from someone else will waste your time and probably never get where you want to go. The longer you wait for the answer to come, the deeper you will fall behind. Deciding to settle is another dangerous habit that could have a negative effect on you and your business. You may have heard successful people saying “never settle” or “never satisfied” or to never stop working. Once you get to one goal, set another and continue to get better. Pesce brings up a valuable point here saying that life is not about the destination, but about the journey. Another way of killing your dreams according to Bel Pesce, is to believe the fault is someone else’s or to blame others for your own bad luck or misfortune. Everyone goes through hardship but at the end of the day it is all about how you bounce back from the difficult times. If you blame others and feel sorry for yourself, it will make your situation worse, and at the end f the day, chances are nobody is going to help you out of your problems. To say you have something great but do not have investors, like Pesce’s example, is unfortunate, but you will surely kill your idea if you allow this to stop you. Finally, Pesce says that it is fatal to believe that all that matters is the dream itself. I agree with this point that it is even more about the journey and the experience and what you learned along the way. Once you get to the peak of your dreams, you should enjoy yourself because the hard work you put in has paid off, but this feeling will not last forever, therefore it is important to keep working hard and make new dreams.

10. KENT FLORES November 30, 2018 at 8:40 am #

In the TED Talk “5 Ways To Kill Your Dreams” by Bel Pesce, we learn about the five ways to destroy your dreams. Everyone has goals in life, but those dreams, like Bel Pesce said “are not an overnight success.” This way of thinking out of the five was the most impactful to me. I could relate to it in two ways, swimming and building my own online website where customers can buy products from local retail shops at a more convenient price and have it shipped to their house in the quickest time span. For swimming, I remember everyone thinking that I was incredibly gifted at the sport, and that I barely had to train in order to get the results that I was showing. The truth of the matter was that I actually got up every single day for four years at 5 in the morning so that I could eat and head to the gym or pool depending on the day, before school. After school I would go do dry land calisthenics and after I would swim for 2-3 hours. Sundays were my only rest day. It was consistency that made me seem like if I had become an overnight success, but reality was different, I trained in ways others would never do. For my online business, it took me months to start seeing a enjoyable profits. All my friends thought I was wasting my time, and no one wanted to join me at first, in order to market, and spread the word. After they started to see my success, they asked if they could join, but all of them wanted the success I had achieved in just one day. I explained to them that they have to consistently read books that would stimulate the mind, so that they could be more prosperous in the business. This is when I realized that very few people will take the time to achieve their dreams. I totally agree with Bel Pesce’s five ways on how to destroy your dreams, because I am an example of someone who did what was supposed to be done and was able to achieve my dreams.

11. Laurie Gallic November 30, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

I really enjoyed how real this TedTalk was. People constantly talk about their dreams and what they want to accomplish in life, but 9 times out of 10 they do nothing to work towards that goal. I’m just as guilty as the rest of the human race, life can be busy and hard and there’s a million and one excuses you can make up. The fact of the matter really is that it’s up to you whether or not your dreams come to fruition. This aspect of Bel Pesce’s talk was one of my favorite points, “Believe the fault is someone else’s”. She says, “If no one invested in your idea, if no one bought your product, for sure there is something there that is your fault.” Blaming others is such a common flaw and can often feel like the main resort after failure. However, as Bel said it is most likely a fault of your own. I loved this quote because it is so real. Take responsibility while things aren’t going well, and you will be able to take responsibility when things are going great. Not only does this better you as a leader, entrepreneur, human it also allows you to evaluate your operations and figure out where things went wrong. The last tip she gave was to not forget that life is just as much about the journey to achieve that goal as it is about the goal itself. I loved her story about the group of friends who were climbing the mountain and they go all the way to the top and start to cheer, then they look to each other and say, “ok, let’s go down.” This little story really drove the point home, to me, that best part about most of life is the journey to get there. It is such a cliché, but I definitely think it’s true and is an important thing to keep in mind and make sure you’re taking the time to appreciate that. Without these moments the goal can begin to feel overbearing and not worth it, causing you to give it up. I really enjoyed this TedTalk. It was a nice reminder that anything you want in life can be achieved, it’s just up to you.

12. Joseph Capouch November 30, 2018 at 7:42 pm #

I found Bel Pesce’s TED talk on ways that people kill their dreams, and fall short of finding excess very intriguing. These helpful thoughts coming from a person who is successful, and knowledgeable on the topic made it especially interesting in my opinion. Her list of beliefs that will kill a person’s dreams (believing in overnight success, that someone else may have the answers, to settle when growth is “guaranteed”, believing that only achieving goals is what matters, and believing the fault is someone else’s), and her elaboration on those, providing her own insight, is what made the talk great. As a person who has seen people in my life both achieve and fall short of their goals, and with dreams of success of my own, I was encouraged to pay careful attention to this talk for potential answers.
    One of Pesce’s points that resonated well was presenting the falsity of the idea of an overnight success. I have been told, taught, and found through life lessons that nearly everything happens for a reason, or at least was impacted by past actions. Even though things can develop very quickly, allowing people to become successful in what seems to be overnight, often any of those events are heavily built up to by things from the past. Examples such as unnoticed help from others who have put in a lot of time, past experiences, education or training that made that success possible, or even something as simple as qualities and characteristics a person is born with can be enormous factors behind quickly achieved success. So, as I live my life, and at times hopefully experience success in a short period of time, I hope to remember to pause and reflect on what enabled me to achieve that, and to give appropriate credit to those things.
    The further I get in my life, the more I can relate to what Pesce said on the topic of appreciating the journeys and steps of life, as opposed to thinking that only achieving your goals is what matters. As she describes, the emotions and moment at the point of achieving your goals is temporary, while your life and how you appreciate the moments and steps in it are not. Throughout high school, college, having a job and other aspects of my life I have come to find that even though I may be focused on my end goal of a good GPA, my diploma, a paycheck, or other things such things at the time, upon reflection I find that what matters to me the most was the progress towards those goals. The friends and memories the made, the experience I gained, and the way I improved to reach what I wanted is often far more valuable, and impactful to my life. The ideas expressed in this talk only enforced that idea for me, and encouraged me to keep that in mind moving forward.

13. Paul Lee November 30, 2018 at 9:05 pm #

This was a very powerful TED talk that I wished I had seen in freshman year of Seton Hall. Five different wants to kill your dream instead of five wayst to achieve it. I thought it was very interesting that she presented how to succeed in this way, it was very smart and impactful. Not many scholars and students think this way, they usually have a mind set of what steps may I take to achieve my goal.
    These five different steps that can decimate your dream but only two of the steps resonated and was very insightful. One of two steps was believed that the fault is someone else’s which was technically the fourth tip. Her quote of, “If you have dreams, it’s your responsibility to make them happen”. This is very powerful words that hit true to the heart. Nobody else can make your dreams come true but yourself. You need to put in the hard work and dedication, I truly believe in this tip. One can not blame anyone else if you want something done the right way. You have to do it yourself to achieve that goal of yours. Many citizens tend to constantly blame others when trying to succeed the citizen’s dream or goal. They overlook that the only one to blame and the only one who should have performed better toward the dream is the citizen. I really appreciate Bel Pesce using this tip to warn people on how to destroy their dreams.
    The second step that I support and I believe many others should as well is her last tip: Believe that the only things that matter are the dreams themselves. She says life is not about the dream or goal but the journey and I do strongly agree with her. The journey is a strong learning experience that will shape you as a person. The dream or goal is the endpoint that Bel Pesce says everyone thinks its an all-around happy place. It is only a monetary sensation but, her point, that everyone should instead be happy with every step is correct. I did not think about this until I watched this TED talk, she was very insightful. To enjoy every step instead of looking at it like it is a drag or the most terrible experience ever. Again, it is a learning experience that will help you grow and learn who you are. What you can do for the future.
    This entire TED talk was very insightful, I more than enjoyed watching it. I hope to see more of my peers watch this and many others as well. It will change one’s mindset on how to achieve their goal. Everyone is always so stressed and anxious about how to achieve what he or she wants. Watch this and learn from it. It is more than helpful.

14. Brandon Ruiz December 4, 2018 at 1:35 am #

There are people all over the world who have different dreams that they want to accomplish financially. Maybe they want to be the next great entrepreneur or they want to do their dream job for their occupation. However, many people do not end up actually achieving these dreams. There are several different reasons why not everyone achieves this kind of success. However, I believe that the biggest reason people don’t achieve them is that they have many misconceptions about how to achieve them. In a 2014 Ted Talk Bel Pesce names 5 ways that people don’t follow their dreams in order to shed light on the misconceptions that keep people from succeeding in achieving their dreams.

The first point she made was that overnight success stories are a myth. These stories are sensationalized and lead people to believe that they can achieve their dreams overnight. However, what those people fail to consider is the things that led to those overnight success stories. They don’t consider the amount of education that person went through in order to prepare themselves to achieve their dreams. Also, people don’t think about all the failed business ventures that an entrepreneur goes through before finding the one that helps them to succeed in achieving their dreams.

The second point she makes is that you shouldn’t let others make your life decisions for you. This is a very true statement because you are not going to get anywhere if you simply listen to the advice that family members give you in order to try and achieve your dreams. The third point she makes is that is that it is important to never settle for mediocre success when it is possible to achieve greater success through doing more work. This goes along with the idea that people who are lazy will not succeed in achieving their dreams because it takes tons of hard work in order to achieve lofty financial dreams. The fourth point she makes is that it is a mistake to believe that the reason you didn’t achieve your dream is due to the fault of someone else. By doing this people transfer the responsibility of them achieving their dreams to other people which will surely get you nowhere. In order to succeed you need to hold yourself responsible for your own success, if you don’t succeed in achieving your dreams you should blame yourself not anything that someone else did.

The fifth and final point she makes I believe is her most important. She says that is a mistake to believe that the only things that matters is achieving the dream itself. The reason why this is a mistake is because in order to achieve your dreams you have to through a long journey. In order to achieve your dreams you have to find joy in the multiple steps along the way of that journey to achieving your dreams. If you don’t do this you’ll fail to take tiny steps along the journey and instead focus on taking the big leaps that propel would propel you to achieving your dreams overnight. This approach will surely result in the failure of a person to achieve their in any given situation.

15. Jaden Tate December 7, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

Before watching the TED talk, I did not know what it was about. Then I started watching it, and I honestly got even more confused, took me another time watching the video for me to understand what she was saying. The one thing that really struck me was when she spoke about how dreams “are not an overnight success.” My goal at first was to be a surgeon and college is expensive so like my dad I used sports as my ticket for a free college. Now instead of them putting away from my undergraduate degree, they are putting it away for my masters and at the time what they thought was going to be med school. I eventually changed my major to be a lawyer because I feel like that is what I should be doing to help people. If it weren’t for me missing out on sleepovers, movie nights as well as girls night I would not be going to school for free. Going to school for free is probably the best thing I did I ever did for my parents. I did have to sacrifice a lot to get here though. For years I had 3-3.5 practices three times a week, and on the weekends when we were not playing, we had 5 hours practices. They would start at 5:30 in the morning so we could be the 117-degree heat, but those practices were the ones that made us stronger and grow together. Those practices were what made us 9th in the nation two years ago, and those are what separated us from the rest of the team. Unlike most softball players, I started playing when I was thirteen while other started at the age of six. Though I had my father’s athletic ability it did not take much for me to get on the same playing field as those who started years before me. Like the TED talk had said for me to get to college it was not an overnight success, I have to keep working to get to where I want. College is only the first part of the dream now I have to work to keep my grades up to then make it graduate school to later become a lawyer.