Cortana Reportedly Wants To Bust Out Of Windows Jail – But Then What?

from readwrite

Microsoft’s Cortana app will make its way to iOS and Android devices in the near future, a new report from Reuters says, quoting “people familiar with the matter.” The rumor has in fact been doing the rounds for some time: Last November, Microsoft executive Julie Larson-Green hinted that such a move was on the cards in a briefing with reporters.

Getting the app on other devices is one thing; getting anyone to use it is quite another. Assuming Cortana jumps out of Windows, can it thrive elsewhere?

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Cortana Reportedly Wants To Bust Out Of Windows Jail – But Then What?

1. Deniz Yalcin March 19, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

The have been voice over assistants for the past decade or so, at least the technology. Then the first major release of a voice assistant was released by Apple, called Siri, released on their iPhone 4s. At first, this assistant could not do much, in fact it was slow and worked only half the time. Presently, it works quite well and sounds much more human like. Siri can follow through with almost any command, as long as the phone is unlocked. In fact, Siri is even more advanced now that it actually says funny jokes once and a while.

Soon after Google released their own software, called Google Now, which worked almost as well. However, it is proven that Siri is even more advanced. Though, Google’s voice assistant does work well.

Next, Samsung came out with something called S voice, which was choppy and rarely every worked. It was simply an attempt to have a voice assistant on their phones, that they could call their own. Apple’s Siri and Google Now triumphed greatly over their service.

Lastly, the final company to enter the voice assistant game came into the market, Microsoft, released a phenomenal voice assistant called Cortana. The name derived from Microsoft’s video game: Halo. Cortana not only sounds life like, but does the most out of all voice assistants. Microsoft recently has had a reducing market share and thus would not surprise consumers when releasing an app based version of Cortana.

2. Deniz Yalcin March 19, 2015 at 7:30 pm #

3. Kerry Shaw March 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm #

After reading this a learned a lot about Siri, Google Now, and Cortana; I never knew that each one had its own specific App it took its information from. Google Chrome and Chrome OS offered for Google Now, and also Gmail. Siri uses Your Apple contacts, just like the examples given in the article. Cortana will be able to access your outlook calendar to find out information that is needed to answer you. Another thing I thought was interesting was that Apple doesn’t jump over to android with IOS apps but Android does. I think Apple needs to explore a little more and venture over to the Android and Microsoft phones. I personally am an IPhone user, but I do support Microsoft and Android phones as well.

There was a question at the end asking “who do you want running your life for you?” and my answer would be Cortana. Even though I have an iPhone with Siri on it, Cortana is my go to girl. As a teenager playing the Halo series on Microsoft’s Xbox and Xbox 360 I grew up listening to Cortana give me directions. I would love for Cortana to jump ship and make it over to the IOS system for the IPhone. I would definitely switch to Cortana in a heartbeat. Cortana is one of my favorite childhood memories, and I believe anyone who has played Halo in the last 10 years would agree with me. So I pick Cortana!

4. Walker J. Mondt March 20, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

The beginning of the future is upon us. The once science-fiction ideas of voice commanded computer assistants has started its quick development. At the forefront of the new frontier is of course Apple, Android, and Google. These three technology giants have created artificial intelligence machines that are designed to assist the common man in every day activities. Cortana, Google Now, and Siri all provide excellent services, however, each do it in different ways.

As a user of Siri I can say that I have found the service useful is some situations. On the other hand, there are times when it has not worked or been activated on accident. I have seen Cortana in action, and the thing that impresses me the most about that app is how fluid and lifelike it sounds. I have never really encountered Google Now.

The beauty of the race is that all three systems offer something different. I believe that consumers should be able to choose between the different systems despite which phone or device they have. With the increased competition from this openness, it would motivate the companies to create better technology.

5. L.E. Baron KJP March 20, 2015 at 7:58 pm #

I remember seeing the first Siri ad, when the iPhone 4s was about to come out. I was amazed at the possibilities that voice assistants would provide, and that was back when it was sill primitive! A few years later, we not only have three main competitors, but they also go into more depth than I thought possible for voice assistants. With the introduction of Google Now, I was eager to test out the cards that could predict my needs before I knew them myself. While it required more data from Google to become accurate, there was something about little things that it did right that made me feel positive about the potential of the service. As Microsoft unveiled their own voice assistant Cortana, based on the successful Halo franchise, I was eager to see how they could turn the sci-fi artificial intelligence into something that could be used for everyday use. As a consumer, the competition excited me, and I could not wait to grap my popcorn and watch the fight unfold.

It is no surprise that Siri and Google Now hold the edge over Cortana, due to the low popularity of Windows Phone, as well as its more recent launch into the markets. While windows enthusiasts and tech geeks could not wait to test it out, your average consumer knew little of it. This is why bringing Cortana to the pc will greatly level the playing field for Microsoft. Furthermore, making it available through other platforms should be useful, providing they can implement it with the native systems. This would be diffficult to do with IOS, because as the article mentions it, the close nature of the platform would not allow it to be used to its full capacity. Having tried Google Now on my iPhone, as a Google/Android enthusiast, I saw no incentive to use it as I would have to go through the app to get any of the functionality. On my Android phone I could simply use it by “swiping left”. While IOS might be difficult, I foresee Microsoft finding more luck introducing Cortana to Android, due to its open nature. If they could provide a way to make Cortana a default voice assistant, they would certainly gain an edge. Google may not approve of the competition usurping its product, but other manufacturers such as Samsung, which has been venturing out in the search for alternatives, would certainly want to try out new options. In the end, I am hoping that the competition will make these services the best they can be. I want it to be difficult for me to pick one of them. Some might like the less prying methods of Siri, and others might be fine with Google knowing their every move at the benefit of convenience. As for me, I will go with whichever offers me more, on the platform of my choice.

6. Suzaun Shahamat March 20, 2015 at 8:00 pm #

So I remember when Siri first came out on the iphone and everyone was obsessed with it and I remember wanting it so bad and trying to get on the wait list for the iphone 4s just so I could get Siri. Then when I got siri I was devastated to learn it was not all that it was talked up to be. Now I heard about Cortana and I am thinking its the same exact concept but just on a different phone system!
    These services do not pick up on what you tell them to do and when they do they mis interperet what you say. In my eyes they are totally not worth it and people should really stop investing all this money in systems like Siri and Cortana because they frustrate people. Im sure consumers would be happy if companies worked on privacy issues instead of these services. No one wants to be sitting in class and accidentally hit the siri button and have it going off on accident and being embarrassed so please apple work on your products!!!

7. Christopher Fowlkes March 20, 2015 at 8:58 pm #

Digital assistants are very useful features of technology. They allow you to find results very quickly with the least amount of effort possible. However Microsoft, Apple, and Google have different intentions on what they want with voice control. Apple’s Siri is only for iOS but it is very good on those devices as it can access your phone. The other 2 companies are trying to force their assistants into all devices but Apple is very strict about it. Honestly there isn’t a reason to have Now or Cortana on an Apple made device since Siri is custom to it. Having another thing be able to access all your data so you can talk to your phone isn’t ideal. It could also cause overlapping problems where more than 1 voice recognition starts at once.

Windows can try to get Cortana to other devices as much as it wants. As the article said, it will be stuck inside of an app. By allowing Cortana to get onto to other phones, Windows could collect tons of data that could potentially put them ahead of the competition. Its a great idea for that company but to the others, it is highly invasive. We don’t need 2 different apps telling us the weather or sports scores. Voice commands may make navigating through our phones efficient but they also make us lazier.

8. Haoliang Pan March 21, 2015 at 1:18 am #

it seems like the three major smart phone software all have their own digital assistance. Like apple’s siri and Goole now. Now microsoft made their digital assistance for their windows phone. I have experienced both IOS and Android systems. They all performs well including both digital assistance. But i have to say i really like Google now more than siri, because it provide more serves. For example, when you are waiting on your package, Google can automatically can get the tracking number form your email and display that on the goole now feature. Its honestly more useful than siri.
    But i don’t know to much about windows phone. I only have few friends that own a windows phone and they didn’t like it so much. So Im not expecting too much out of the new digital assistance that Microsoft just made. In general, iPhone wins on the Apps, and Android wins more useful feature and more open for high tech users. But windows phone don’t really have anything that stands out.

9. Kevin Giron March 21, 2015 at 2:32 am #

This is a pretty interesting article by David Nield. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are currently the big three when it comes to digital assistant apps. The most known an popular of the three is Siri, which has been around for many years now. I have had a Android device for quite awhile now as I never bought into the iPhone hype. Having said that, I had no idea that Google’s digital assistant app was called Google Now, which should tell you something. Microsoft’s Cortana is the newest app of the bunch and has been in several commercials bashing Siri.

Personally i never really use these digital assistant apps and neither do my friends who have iPhone’s, Android device’s, or a Window’s phone. However there are several other people in this world who may depend on these apps. Currently Google has brought its device over to IOS although it is “watered down” as compared to on the android devices. Microsoft is said to follow this trend of getting the apps and services to as many people as possible. In meantime Apple is letting the people come to their apps instead.

10. Lingyi Kong March 23, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

I think Cortana is just an simple intelligent personal assistant developed by Microsoft just like Siri developed by Apple. I’m using the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think it’s a very useful app to use. It is named after Cortana, an artificial intelligence character in Microsoft’s Halo video game series, with Jen Taylor, the character’s voice actress, returning to voice the personal assistant’s US-specific version. Cortana has a lot of many features including set reminders, answer questions using information from Bing (like current weather and traffic conditions, sports scores, and biographies). I always use it to help me to search information or to play music for me when I’m driving a car.
    Cortana is also region-specific, and adapts its voice to match the everyday language, culture and speech patterns of the country its user lives in. I can ask both Chinese and English questions which it’s very convenient. In my opinion, if I can use Cortana on iPhone and Android phone in the future, I will be happy to use it. And I believe it will be popular to use because I think its features are very convenient to use.

11. Christopher Auer March 24, 2015 at 2:16 pm #

Having the option of Cortana on iOS would be awesome. It would be the first step to breaking away from Apple’s grip on our wallets. Seriously, the iPhone may seem and be a bit more superior than other smartphones, but is it really worth all the money? There are so many other options that may not have all of Apple’s features, but will save your wallet. Cortana is a much better, more reliable digital assistant than Siri. Cortana can accept commands when you are not even touching the phone, something Siri is not capable of. The point is, Apple has somehow convinced everyone that their products are better than anything else, when in fact Microsoft is slowly creating something better.

12. Joe Iuliano March 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm #

Cortana is the personal assistance for windows phones. It is closely compared to Siri on the iPhone but not quite exactly. Recently reported by readwrite, Cortana is looking to evolve into iOS which is an apple product. People around the country and world have different opinions to this idea because many people are either pro apple or pro Microsoft. To have a Microsoft app or product installed into an apple product or vise versa, no one really knows what to expect. Of course cortana’s biggest advantage is that the cost will definitely decrease because of it being a microsoft product.

Cortana has so many more advantages over apple products. For example, as stated, cortana can make certain commands without even touching the phone where Siri cannot. This is just one of many advantages cortana has over siri. Why not give it a try? It can only benefit us. I am currently guilty of using only apple products, but I am definitely open to cortana being used in apple products.

13. Gustavo Gonzalez March 27, 2015 at 2:53 pm #

Daniel Nield proposes the question “Assuming Cortana jumps out of Windows, can it thrive elsewhere?” For me the answer to that is that no one truly can predict if Cortana will thrive outside of Windows. Now that being said we must analyze the fact that there are already well established mobile assistants. These are Google Now and the famous, sometimes infamous, Siri. Everyone is probably well antiquated with both of these mobile assistants. There are two obvious paths Cortana can down. The first is the path of success. Microsoft realizes that they must expand and allow Cortana to be pre-installed or at the least be able to be installed in Android and Apple phones and devices. That is another thing, Microsoft must enhance the software to be compatible with the new devices such as the Apple watch, IPads and tablets, as well as integrating it into the idea of the internet of things. Now it is most likely that all the assistants will be gunning to be the runner of the smart home or smart TV or even the smart car, but the question is which one will get there first and operate the best.

The other path Cortana may go down is the path where it fails to realize it true potential and fail to become compatible with IOS and Android. Nield states, ”The iOS version of Google Now is fine for displaying cards, but it misses the deep hooks into the operating system that it enjoys on its home turf. It’s not one swipe away from the home screen, for instance, as it is on Android 5.0 Lollipop, and it can’t be called up with an “OK Google” unless the app is already running. It feels slightly watered-down, walled-in and read-only, and it’s likely that an iOS Cortana would experience the same fate.”

So in my opinion the one who will be victorious in the battle to be the best mobile assistant will be the one who can innovate, become the most compatible with other operating systems, and the one who can better enhance their software and properly “think for themselves.” When you weigh all of these factors up, it’s about services as well as platforms. Siri only knows who your brother is if there’s a matching entry in your Apple contacts; Google Now only knows about your next flight if there’s a confirmation in your Gmail; and Cortana only knows you need to be across town in an hour if you’ve marked it on your Outlook calendar. Lastly, it does seem to mean that Cortana does have one advantage, and that is that it is the only one who appears to be making the effort sound more human like.

14. Joseph Shymanski April 7, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

Voice recognition technology is technology that has been getting better in the last few years to the point where it is useful and accurate. I remember just a few years ago how terrible the technology was just about a little less than ten years ago. They would not recognize much accurately. It was a joke because it was so bad. Now day though these technologies, such as Cortana, seem to work so well and they are able to make life easier. They are not perfect, but people are using them more and more on smart devices, such as phones and tablets. Made popular by Apple’s Siri, digital assistants that use voice recognition technology is becoming a completive market with Microsoft’s Cortana coming to iOS and Android operating systems. Cortana was originally only available for Windows phones, which makes up a smaller portion of the smart phone market. Cortana takes a combination of feature from Apple’s Siri or Google Now to make a new experience for users.

It will likely have some issues in getting iPhone users to adopt the use of a different digital assistant than Siri due to the way that Apple allows their app developers to use their systems. The only digital personal assistant that will work natively on iOS devices is Siri and that is unlikely to change anytime soon. This seems to be a pattern where app developers that have been avoiding going to iOS in the past are going to them now to take advantage of the large amount of user that Apple has. Microsoft and even Nintendo now are heading to iOS to get their products out to more users.

15. Hongzhi Feng April 8, 2015 at 2:37 pm #

This case is talk about that Microsoft, Apple and Google are sending their digital assistant apps into battle. Microsoft’s Cortana app will make its way to iOS and Android devices in the near future, Getting the app on other devices is one thing; getting anyone to use it is quite another. Assuming Cortana jumps out of Windows, it’s hard to talk about whether it will thrive elsewhere.Cortana, the most recent of these apps to launch, tries to combine the best of Siri and Google Now: advanced voice control and smart predictive responses all rolled up into one. Considering the low market share enjoyed by Windows Phone across the world, it may have little choice but to spread its wings.

In my personal opinion, as the technology develop, many outstanding companies always create many useful application, that’s a useful to bring more profits to citizens. When different big companies face so many challenges, after they solve these problems, the world will be better.

16. Arman Sandhu April 24, 2015 at 8:33 pm #

There seem to be endless opportunities in technology. People around the world are hustling to create better technology. However, which ones are the most efficient? This answer lies in the public view. How can anyone know or predict which one will be the best. The answer is not easy. Technologies are always fighting against each other.

People always have an interest to make more money. Money is the root of evil and the sole driver of everything in the world. Technology is being developed for windows, which is debatablly the greatest corporation ever. Windows owns everything including apple and people make apps to make apple more rich. There seems to be clear opportunity but how much? Karl Marx says capitalist make money off of regular folk.

This is indisputably true. However, capitalism generates money for others as well. The creators of this technology get paid pennies for what it’s going to make the company but this is millions compared to what the average person makes. The world is sadly run this way whether one wants to admit it or not. No one can control the machine known as reality however, we can all influence it.

In conclusion the app can thrive in apple. but regardless of whether it thrives it bares consequences. These consequences are normally good for the public. The consumers love new products. However, it is detrimental to competitors and generates loser. The wealth of these losers is accumulated in the hands of the winners. In the end the winner of the game will determine which app will be successful, and the people as Nietzsche calls it, are living in a state of “slave morality”.

17. D.S. January 27, 2018 at 8:43 pm #

It has been about two years since this “rumor” was proven true; yet to this day, most people do not use Microsoft’s Cortana smart assistant on their iOS or Android device. I work part time at BestBuy and have used all the most popular voice assistants (Google Assistant, Siri, Alexa, and Cortana). Based on my per experience, and comments from fellow BestBuy employees, Google makes the most useful assistant.

In my opinion, if Microsoft wants to gain market share they need to collaborate with other companies to help build the Cortana ecosystem. Amazon grew their market share significantly by partnering with Sonos to build a Sonos branded speaker that has Alexa built in. Google has taken a similar approach to Amazon and decided to license its Google Assistant to any tech company that wishes to include it in their product.

At the store I work at there are only two standalone devices that have Cortana built in, whereas there are dozens of products that have Alexa, and Google Assistant built in. Since there are so few products that have Cortana built in, I don’t believe people really know about it. In my discussions with customers, I’ve come to the conclusion that most people are happy with the voice assistant that comes preloaded in their phone and they don’t see a need to download Microsoft’s Cortana.

I believe that Microsoft Cortana is a good product and has the potential to grow in popularity, however it will take a lot of marketing, and partnerships to catch up to their competitors.