10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging, and Enjoyable

from Lifehack

Not a lot of people are good at public speaking. You could even say that virtually everyone needs to get some practice, and preferably good guidance, before they can learn to stay calm when facing a room full of people. Having all eyes on you is an uncomfortable experience and it takes time to get used to. However, even if you can manage to control your stage fright and stay focused, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your presentation won’t put people to sleep. This is usually the case with long presentations on a very dull subject, with the presenter speaking in a monotone voice and dimming the lights to play a PowerPoint presentation.

If you want to be remembered and actually get people engaged, you need to make your presentation fun and enjoyable, without coming off as corny or desperate to please. I know, it doesn’t sound that easy at all! A good presentation during a promotional event or given to an important clientcan be a game changer for your business, so it is easy to get stressed out and fail to perform all that well. Luckily, giving an interesting lecture is something that can be practiced and perfected. There is plenty of advice out there on the topic, but let’s look at the most important aspects of giving a memorable and fun presentation.

31 Responses to 10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging, and Enjoyable

1. Shaquria Love February 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm #

This article is about making your presentations fun and engaging. It states that, over coming your fear of speaking publicly dose not help make your presentations fun. There are some methods you can practice to make your presentation more interesting. You can make you presentation short and to the point. Try not to make things longer than they need to be. Make sure you start off your presentation good. Give a good ice- breaker to get the crowds attention. Try to simplify every detail so that you and the audience can understand the objective. During your presentation, make sure you give a small dose of humor to keep them engaged. Telling a story can get people interested in what you are presenting. Practice makes perfect, so make sure you practice your delivery. You as well need to set the example by showing your own interest in your presentation. Move around , use your arms and hands just to stay engaged and to show the audience that you are serious. Make your Slides more interesting by adding pictures. End your presentation on a serious note to leave people on a good note.

2. Kevin Giron February 26, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

Lets face it, many people struggle when it comes to public speaking. There are students who have nightmares about giving presentations to a classroom full of their peers. “10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging, and Enjoyable” gives tips to those who are uncomfortable during presentations and for those who struggle to keep their audience focused.

The longer the speech the more likely you will lose the attention of the audience and risk watering down your core ideas. The author states that this can be overcome by condensing information into well though out sentences and short phrases. A good way to create a friendly atmosphere is by beginning with a joke, I have done this several times as an ice breaker, this allows me to feel more comfortable and gets the audience interested in what you are saying. To keep the audience entertained, some humor throughout the presentation helps.

One of the more known techniques is to simply practice. Many people practice in front of a mirror, this helps with posture, facial expressions, tone, and most importantly speaking loud enough to be heard by the entire audience. Making an audience relate to what you are talking about is essential, if the presentation isn’t relatable, the audience will lose focus.

These are some very good tips for improving public speaking and keeping the audience engaged. I sometimes struggle when presenting in a classroom setting, but reading through the article I feel like I have learned some valuable information. This is an article that many people can benefit from reading.

3. Cameron Quisenberry February 26, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

I think this article is fantastic. My generation has grown up and have become used to communicating through technology that sometimes we forget and are scared to communicate with people face to face. I believe presentations are a derivative of this assumption. Some people can not relate to the audience and pull the audience in with the presentations that people make. Presentations that I have seen are so dry and boring that it is hard to pay attention, let alone stay awake. We have been raised to know the facts. Ever since we started elementary school, our imagination has been oppressed by the structure of teaching styles. It is so important to be able to communicate effectively with other people on subjects we are trying to introduce to people.

This article is a fantastic representation of how an effective presentation is ideally supposed to be presented. Collectively, in the speeches I have done, I have attempted to intertwine one of the ‘secrets’ Dimitrijevic presents in his article. In every article, I always open up with a good ice breaker. The most important part of your speech is the ability to grab the audiences attention. At my church in my hometown, the youth in the church are able to create and run a church service. My senior year, I was chosen to deliver the sermon. However, my knowledge of Biblical references are low so I decided to go an unconventional route to relate to my audience. My church burned down March 18, 2013 by a lightening bolt with a force 6 times the national average. I delivered my sermon a couple weeks after the fire (in a temporary church). I used Dimitrijevic’s second secret of tugging on the audiences heart strings in order to grab their attention. In that speech, I used every one of Dimitrijevic’s secrets (except the slide). And, to this date, I consider that speech the best speech I have made. Dimitrijevic’s article is very vital to anyone who wants to be a successful presenter. His secrets are the basis to which everyone should create their presentations/speeches on.

4. Ashley Scott February 26, 2015 at 6:34 pm #

I found this article interesting due to the fact that we live in a society based off the understand of technology. The article starts off by telling the reader to make sure their presentations are short and sweet. As the listener you want to engage in a presentation that does bore you or involves tons of reading. The best ways to engage your audience is through ice breakers, stories, and humor. These methods can help you as the presented to calm down and ease your nerves. Also, the audience is more likely to learn if the information is inviting.
    Ivan Dimitrijevic bought up the idea of moving around and using your hands when you present. I believe too much use of your hands can become distracting and over barring. As a speaker you must practice and understand what is going on in your presentation. This article suggest a lot of variable information that would help to improve public speaking.

5. Jing Lin February 26, 2015 at 8:14 pm #

As Gregory Berns says, “A person can have the greatest idea in the world completely different and novel but if that person can’t convince enough other people, it doesn’t matter.”
    Especially as our business people, it’s very important to express our ideas to inform people a new product or service or persuade people to buy the product in workplace and even to make situation-changer games through negotiations between corporation partners.
    An appropriate presentation can be developed into the following stages: 1)start with a good ice breaker. Since audience don’t know you at the beginning, using jokes, anecdote or metaphors can bring out a natural atmosphere. 2)preview main points of views 3)discuss core points with more details in a particular order 4)use transitions among each main idea 5)review your points 6)draw a logical conclusion 7)leave audience a clear takeaway message like delivering an important idea, a quote or asking a question.
    There are some key points I want to stand out.
    First, practice your posture, gesture, tone of voice, accent, pauses between sentences, facial expressions and eye contacts. Let your voice loud, clear and slow that can be easily understood by the audience. Also let your eye contact covered every section of the auditorium. The audience sitting at the corner in the back and the front line are the ones who are most likely to be ignored because of the viewing angle. I’m very fortunate to take a course called Executive Communications as J-term class in winter at Rider. I find it’s a very useful class for us to make our presentations practiced and perfected through every class training. Our professor let us use Steve Jobs presentations as models to imitate.
    This leads to my second point of view. Like Steve Jobs, engage audience and make them relate to. People may lose their attention after a period of time. A survey demonstrates that audience have the highest attention at the beginning and fall down immediately afterwards and reach a climax again in the end. It’s evitable for audience to get tired during the presentation. The emphasis is to draw people’s attention from time to time during the speech. Telling jokes, everyday life events and famous people’s stories in history all work.
    Last, process your power point. Put fewer words on the power point. Followed by the 6×6 Rule, which means at most six words horizontally by at most six words vertically, and make your words look big and stupid, your power point will seem clean and easy understood. Too many words may distract audience. Besides, add some funny images depending on what situation you are in. Videos, flip charts, graphs or music could also be added.
    Giving a speech is an art. Someone may born to be good presenters. But those who don’t have such talent can definitely be trained through hundreds of thousands of practices. Steve Jobs practiced almost a hundred times before he gave a presentation. Many famous speakers, like Demosthenes and King George VI, overcame speech impediments through hard work. Practice makes perfect. So does giving a speech.

6. Joseph Keppler February 26, 2015 at 11:25 pm #

I thought that this article was fantastic for individuals of all ages. Lets face it, public speaking is not the easiest thing to do. The night before someone has to present a speech to an audience or any type of crowd they normally get nervous no matter how much they have practiced. The great aspect about this article is that it doesn’t actually say that you should practice. It speaks about the skills that you should have and the types of conversation that you have to have with the audience in order to be successful.

Lets face it, when giving a public speech or presentation you need to have confidence, and a form of arrogance so that your audience realizes that you are up there for a reason. If you are going to be small and afraid of being judged then there is a high percentage chance that you are not going to be successful during your presentation. If you know your information, and combine that with a confidence that says that you are here to let the audience know something then that is half of what public speaking is all about.

This article is brilliant because it covers the other half of what public speaking is all about. In my opinion you either have the confidence and attitude to be strong at public speaking or you don’t. For the people that do not have these qualities then this article will make them the best public speakers that they will ever be and I think that by following this article you will become a very strong public presenter. I thought that each piece of advice but from my experiences, keeping your ideas short and sweet was the best piece of advice. When you ramble on too long on a subject, people get bored and tired of what you are saying. Short and to the point ideas keep the audience engaged and happy. This article has so many good ideas for public speaking which is why it pertains to every age group.

7. Lauren Hall February 27, 2015 at 1:46 pm #

I found this article to be a great article for anyone to read and I would recommend it to people of all ages. It is safe to say that people in general are not a fan of doing presentations for several reasons but maybe by reading this article it could change their minds. Personally I do not mind watching other people give presentations but when it comes to be my turn to present I absolutely hate it. Now, a lot of people dislike giving presentations because they are nervous to stand up in front of a bunch of people but that is not why I don’t like doing it. I dislike giving presentations because I get nervous people will not like my presentation. But while reading this article I found the ten tips given to be very helpful.

First and foremost in order to give a strong performance I believe you have to have confidence. You cannot be scared to get up in front of people because if you are the audience will be able to tell. This is where one of the tips in the article comes into play. I believe the tip of practicing your speech in front of a mirror is one of the best tips you can have because it will make you more comfortable when you talk in front of everyone. Personally whenever I have to give a speech I practice it multiple times to myself because I want to make sure I present to the best of my ability when I stand up in front of others.

Another tip I found to be very important is that you should keep your presentation short and sweet. No one wants to sit and listen to someone go on and on about something that is boring. Eventually the person will zone out mentally and then they will not take away anything from your presentation. Personally I know I have sat through presentations and thought to myself, okay when is this going to end. As a presenter you do not want that thought going through your audiences mind. This is why it is important to make your presentation up beat and somewhat fun without making it corny.

There are many other great tips this article had to offer and I believe they are important for any public speaker to know. Whether you are giving a presentation in front of ten people or thousands of people the tips could be really helpful and improve your presentation. Personally next time I present I will make sure to use all ten of these tips to my advantage so that I can have the best presentation possible.

8. Carlota Clotet Alsina November 10, 2015 at 9:53 pm #

I consider myself a people person. I am very friendly and open to everyone, yet public speaking is one of my biggest fears, which seems to make no sense. On my defense, I agree with the prior affirmation from Kevin Giron “over coming your fear of speaking publicly dose not help make your presentations fun.” Being fearless is a good thing when it comes to giving a presentation, but it is not everything. This article, gives tips to those who are uncomfortable during presentations and for those who struggle to keep their audience focused, as well as tips for those who are past that level.

When I know that there is a presentation coming up, I am already nervous the night before. I thought that it would get better or even easier with time, but this is not my case. I found this article very interesting as well as useful. The main point of this article says that ”even if you can manage to control your stage fright and stay focused, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your presentation won’t put people to sleep”. And I couldn’t agree more. By reading this article, a lot of the presentations that I have heard through the years came to my mind, and there were only a few that I enjoyed. After I finished this article, I believe that the most important point for a presentation to be enjoyable is to “Use a healthy dose of humor”.

I think that everyone who reads this article could fins a way to make a good use out of it, and improve in their presentations, making them more fun and enjoyable.

9. Matthew Begley November 11, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

This article was really helpful giving advise on how to make presentations engaging and effective. It was interesting to hear the article talk about how overcoming stage fright does not actually correlate to making presentations fun. The article provides some ideas on how to make the presentations better and more audience oriented. It suggests making presentations short and too the point. You have to assume that your audience does not have a high attention span and the best way to keep them engage is to make your points direct and not to go off an tangents. When you go off on tangents is when you lose the attention of your audience.It also suggests having a good hook to start off your presentations. Capturing your audiences attention is key to begin your presentation. it will allow for you to make your main points later on and allow your audience to be more receptive of them. Another thing to include in your presentation is to simply everything. You have to assume your audience has no knowledge of your subject matter and simplifying it so everyone can understand your points.
    During the actual presentation, it may be a good idea to add some humor into the presentation in order to make your audience engaged and in a good mood. Adding in a story can keep people engaged and allow for people to relate to your subject matter. Moving around while you present can show people that you are engaged with your presentation and therefore they will be engaged. Adding pictures on the slides will keep people’s attention since the eye will automatically be attracted to color and something new. The article does mention that you should close on a serious note to make sure the audience understands that your subject is a serious issue. Overall, this article was very helpful but it always easier said than done.

10. Lauren Gutowski November 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm #

Ugh, I cannot even tell you how many boring presentation I’ve had to sit in on through out my life. Not necessarily student presentations done in a communications class, I actually enjoy those the best because students always seem to pick an interesting topic despite where their skill level lies. But even then there is always a good amount of student who are always very nervous no matter what: good or bad presentation. I enjoyed reading the article because I picked up on a lot of helpful tips to build my public speaking skills and make it more affective as well. I’ve noticed I prolong my speeches once in a while when I give a presentation but short and sweet really is the best way to go. Sometimes talking to the audience too much will take away from the main points of your speech; some people may walk away forgetting them right when the presentation is over. The opener is important but I believe it wouldn’t make or break the speech because there are other ways to grab the crowd’s attention during it. I would say the most affective introduction is an emotion one that the crowd can really connect to. People remember feelings better than words so at least a lasting impression will be made. And I like how Lifehack mentioned to always add a little humor to the presentation. It is always extra points getting the crowd to laugh and it’s always a greater possibility they will continue to remain focused on what you are saying. This also goes for using funny visuals, visuals are a must.

The number one thing I believe speakers fail to do is actually practice their speech. You’d be surprised how many people go up to the podium or stage and their finished product is presented for the first time at that point. That is almost equivalent to writing one draft for an English paper and submitting it to your teacher. This is why some speeches turn out sloppy because how you picture your presentation to come out in your head usually doesn’t go as planned. Practicing can only make it better. “Number seven, moving around your hands” there is nothing worse than standing stiff as a board, hands by your side, and the only thing that actually looks alive is your mouth. Moving your hands around gives your presentation life, because you look alive. Not moving at all will only distract the crowd since you just look tense. Some movement may even relieve the speaker’s anxiety and entail confidence in what they say. Even though this article can enhance presentation skills, people will only get better if they keep practicing. Taking college public speaking courses or joining communal groups that require speeches ever now and then can build up skills. My previous school I attended, Kutztown University, had a club called Toastmasters which was a club solely based off giving speeches, So there are ways to put this article’s skills to use.

11. Justin Amelio November 11, 2015 at 5:45 pm #

This article was very interesting because it applies to many college students like myself. Presenting projects is one of the biggest parts of college courses (which I disagree with) but it is something that you have to get good at in order to do well in classes. I do not like presentations because I get very nervous while I am presenting and I start to stutter. I need to work on this because presenting is not only going to be in the rest of my college career, but in my work career after college. If you are not good at presenting information nobody will take you seriously. One of the most important things to do is to not put too much information on one slide. If you are reading off your slide you will not look professional because anyone can read what you have written. The whole point of a presentation is to inform your audience on what you are presenting. The first point is make your presentation short and sweet. This is hard to do for me because some of my classes this semester require absurdly long presentations. This does not make any sense to me. In my sport management class we are required to present our project for 45 minutes I’m sorry but how does our teacher expect us to present for 45 minutes without the class getting bored? It is going to be very hard to talk for that long. Most presentations are short because it they are too long you will lose the interest of your audience. The second point opening with a good ice breaker is another good part of a presentation. Most presentations are the generally the same for college courses. If you have something to start off the presentation with like a question or a hand out or something of that nature, it will get your audience excited for your presentation.

Keeping things simple and to the point is very important because dragging out your presentation will not be good for your audience. A good thing to do for presentations is to make index cards to look at while presenting so that you are not just reading off the slides. If you do not incorporate some type of humor or something to get the attention of your audience they will not be interested. It is very hard for me to pay attention to a presentation when it is very boring. If you have a purpose for presenting this will make your presentation more successful as well. Telling a story during the presentation will get your audiences attention, it is important to do something along these lines because in my courses most students are not paying attention while presentations are going on. Practicing your delivery is very important because if you go into the presentation without any preparation it will be very hard to do well. If you practice every day for an hour or so, your presentation will be very good and you will not look stupid while presenting. If you move around during the presentation and ask questions this will engage your audience as well. Standing in the same spot and not getting the audience involved will make you look very unprofessional. It is hard to pay attention to a presentation that is boring. Adding pictures to your slides will make your audience want to pay attention as well. This article was very helpful for a college student like myself and although I already knew most of these techniques, it helped me a lot by re learning what to do and what not to do in a presentation.

12. Sherri Petonic November 11, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

As much as I hate public speaking this article nailed it for hints and suggestions and it couldn’t have come at a better time. We are in crunch time right now with our classes, and almost every class has a group project that is going to consist of a power point presentation and speaking for the next fifteen to twenty minutes. As much as we hate doing them, I respect that there is a very logical reason for throwing a bunch of strangers together and say hey by the way on top of everything else find time to get together and put some good show on!
    With the “10 secrets of making every presentation fun, engaging, and enjoyable” definitely helps with the awkwardness from how to start off to get the audience to emotionally respond to you, engaging the audience, telling stories, using hand gestures on non vocal gestures to wrapping it all up and getting them to buy your story.
    Presentations are never going to go away, from school to the work place you will always have to show, prove and convince someone why things need to be done a certain way. With the help of the 10 secrets, it makes it a little bit easier to jump on the horse and ride it! Hopefully with blazing trails and successes!

13. KCollins November 12, 2015 at 1:36 am #

Every student has to make at least one presentation of some sort during their college career. These can be very intimidating, especially if one doesn’t know exactly how to prepare or what to expect once they are standing in front of their audience. It is challenging to create a presentation that will provide the audience with the right amount of information without putting them to sleep. In this article, Ivan Dimitrijevic outlines ten important steps one can take to make a presentation that will be informative and fun. This is something to strive for because it will ensure that your information reached the audience and sticks with them.
    Dimitrijevic covers topics relating to delivery of the information, the actual information to include, and building a relationship or rapport with the audience. Each of these things are essential to a successful presentation because if you include irrelevant information or are not engaging, the audience may leave without a full understanding of your topic, either from information overload or a lack of interest. It is also important to build audience rapport so that the audience will trust you and remain engaged for the duration of your presentation. Having this knowledge when preparing a presentation will help make it a lot easier to complete a presentation and deliver to an audience.

14. Vivian Vliet November 12, 2015 at 11:52 pm #

In many of the comments, it seems to be almost unanimous that presenting is extremely nerve-wracking. Personally, I whole-heartedly agree. Last semester I took a required public speaking class and before every presentation I felt sick to my stomach because I was so nervous. Ivan Dimitrijevic makes an excellent point at the beginning of his article that even if a person can get over his/her nerves, he/she may still have a boring presentation. As many other of the comments mention, public speaking is a vital part of many of our futures. Whether with classes or in the business world. A presentation can be the deciding factor for a client when determining whether or not to choose a company.

With the importance of presentations in mind, I think the most important aspect of a higher quality presentation is the practice of delivery. When taking the public speaking class, there were a few students who felt confident in speaking in front of others and thought they could “wing” their presentations. These students’ presentations were memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I remember the presentations being unorganized and confusing. For those who are less confident in their public speaking skills, practice is vital for projecting confidence and a clear understanding of the topic.

Cameron makes a really good point that our generation frequently communicates through technology making face-to-face interactions less familiar. However, I think that is important to note that although presentations made solely using PowerPoint can be dull, technology used in conjunction with a spoken presentation can make the presentation much more interesting and understandable. For example, if a person gave a statistic about the different sectors of a market without a graph, the information make be lost on the audience. If the person used a graph that same statistic, the audience would be able to associate a visual with the statistic and therefore understanding the importance of it.

While explaining how to give a fun, engaging, and enjoyable presentation, Dimitrijevic also stresses that presenting is a skill. He explains that hard work will allow presenters to give better presentations, especially when it comes to practicing delivery. I think that this can also be said about any skill. Of course there may be those that are naturally talented and the skill is acquired faster, but even those people still have to practice.

15. Eric Novembre November 13, 2015 at 1:13 am #

Presenting… was one of my biggest fears since I started doing them. Before going to college I would get up in front of class and stutter, sweat, blush, you name it I did it all. It was something I dreaded doing. It’s scientifically proven that people fear presenting more than death, and I would have to say I might have been one of those individuals. Coming into Seton Hall I took a class called oral communications, a mandatory course for probably every major. When my first presentation was assigned I was terrified, thought of it every day and could not get out of my head until I got it over with. And of course I went last because I thought mine was horrible compared to everyone else’s, but after doing my first presentation I realized that it was not so bad. That once you get up there and talk, it comes right out of your mouth. One of the many keys I learned when it came to presenting is whatever you are presenting on make sure you have the correct information and most of all know what you are talking about. What I did to prepare for my first presentation is something that this article suggested. “Standing in front of the mirror and practicing a speech or presentation is a technique as old as mirrors – well, come to think of it, as old as human speech, since you can see yourself reflected in any clear and calm body of water – and that means that it is tried and true. The theory is incredibly simple, yet the real problem is actually putting in the effort day in and day out. Work on your posture, your tone of voice, accent, pauses between sentences and facial expressions.” I found this to be so important, now being in my second public speaking class I would have to say, posture and taking your time with your delivery is very important. When you get up to start talking, do not start talking right away. Take a look at your audience and figure out what type of crowd they are, then take a deep breath and begin. Finding out what type of crowd you are presenting too is very critical, it will help guide you to how you want to deliver your speech. You want to get your audience engaged, you want them to listen and watch you with wide eyes. So one of the most important things I learned to do to ask the audience questions and use humor. “Some of the best speeches and presentations in the world, which have been heard and viewed by millions, all feature plenty of humor. No matter the subject, a great speaker will use natural charisma, humor and beautiful language to convey their points and get the crowd excited about what they are saying.” Practice makes perfect in everything, I never thought I would overcome my fear of public speaking, but I did. I actually enjoy it now. Do I still get nervous in the beginning of every speech I deliver? Yes of course, it is normal. It is you adrenaline rushing through your body, it is always good to be slightly nervous before a speech. It shows that you care and want your speech to be good.
    Dimtrijevic, Ivan. “10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging, and Enjoyable.” Lifehack RSS. FACEBOOK, n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. .

16. CPA November 13, 2015 at 11:11 am #

I have done a lot of presenting and public speaking from my work as President of my high school’s SGA MCing pep rallies to my work at Rider Athletics as the Public Address announcer before many of our larger sports games. While I largely agree with the basis of this article, this mainly focuses on the charismatic factors to make the audience like you as a person versus that of a presenter, the purpose of you being there at that moment. For presenting in front of a Board of Directors or in a scholarly setting, there is but one piece of advice I have utilized to my advantage over the years and that is confidence. If you are not 100% confident in your presentation in every way, shape, or form, it will suffer. Although researching your points and being knowledgeable in your presentation coverage will help your grade and credibility, being confident in answering key questions and even delivering little-known facts and tidbits will make you more believable and your audience will perceive you as more of an expert. Trust is a hard thing to gain, especially in the short amount of time a presentation takes, so the quicker trust can be established, the better for both sides.
    That being said, the skills outlined by Dimitrijevic in the article will certainly help build a strong rapport with the audience in order for that trust to show and confidence to rise even more. However, the charisma and personality shines even brighter if the presenter is confident in the material and themselves. There would be no worrying about “Did I pronounce that name right?” or other relatable hypothetical questions, rather there would be a focus on “How can I spice this presentation up to help me stand out?” Once the material is established, then the presenter can go on to the next step in evaluating their own creativity by adding in useful, yet identifiable bits of humor such as a key photo or meme to make themselves remembered in the eyes of the grader/evaluator. The best way to do any of this is to practice! The old cliché rings true here again. The more often you are able to put these presenting and public speaking skills to the test, you will become as confident as I am to this day when I am working in athletics. Practice makes perfect and perfect will only build your confidence and personality!

17. Isabel Goodman November 13, 2015 at 12:23 pm #

As a student in Oral Communications right now, this is a concept that relates to me. Giving speeches is hard, especially to an audience that I know is only there because their grade depends on it. But just because they are required to be there, does not mean they have to pay attention. What I have found throughout my time giving speeches and listening to them is that the best way to engage an audience is to make the audience relate. That is one of the key points made in this article. Relating to the audience is key because they are the ones listening to the presentation and without them, the speech is falling on empty ears. Another piece of advice given in the article was to make the presentation short and sweet. That relates to another tip: to make it simple and to the point. Having a good structure is key to having a presentation fit all of these criteria. When you have a strong structure you can accomplish these things. The audience will not pay attention is the speech is too long and in order to condense it, you have to be aware of where you want your speech to go and when. Condensing information makes the main points stick out more than if the speech rambles and the audience gets lost trying to find the meaning amidst the unnecessary information. Before the presentation even begins, the speaker needs to establish their structure and how they want their speech to come across. This can be done in many ways and in order to have the speech go according to plan, they must follow the structure to ensure the proper delivery. In order to deliver the speech well also, the speaker must practice their speech as many times as necessary until they are confident in how it sounds and they know they can present it well to the audience. There is nothing worse than a presenter that has to continuously look at their notes or says “um” more times than you can even count. Those are the people who do not practice and are noticeably unprepared for their presentation. That is something the audience picks up on quickly and is one of the best ways to get them to disengage with the presentation. Then the speech just goes way worse than planned because you are not prepared and you also do not have an audience. One thing I found interesting about the article was that it said to include funny images when giving a presentation. I found this sort of counterintuitive because though the pictured may provide some comic relief, I worry they might distract the audience from the presentation. I guess it is just up to the presenter to provide appropriate and non-distracting images to enhance their point rather than distract from their words with the images. It is all about balance. The article gave some really great insight as to how a presenter can give a fun, engaging, and enjoyable speech and I believe if presenters look at this and take note of the many ways they can do this, their presentations will be successful.

18. Joseph Belli November 13, 2015 at 1:57 pm #

In his article titled “10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging and Enjoyable,” Ivan Dimitrijevic gives the reader insight on how to keep the audiences attention during a presentation and seriously win over the room. Not a lot of people are excellent public speakers and that primarily relates to nerves. What if my presentation is not interesting? What if people don’t care? What if I forget my information? It is so easy to get caught up in all of the potential negative aspects of giving a speech, throwing off your confidence and giving you the jitters. Some people are just simply afraid of having all eyes on them: the attention gets to them and they realize that they are suddenly put under a microscope where every mistake will be seen by every person. Letting the pressure of presenting accumulate is very dangerous, so what I like to do is think about the positive impact of my speech. What information am I providing to my audience? How will they benefit? That way, when considering these questions, it can ease the conscience and relax all nerves.

Dimitrijevic’s 10 points are as follows:
    1) Keep the speech short and sweet – It is possible to lose the audience early, so you need to have all of your information compiled and organized in a way that will keep their attention throughout the entire speech. 30 minute long speeches will do the exact opposite of this, making the speech a “test of endurance” for the audience. Make sure you give the audience small snippets of information or key phrases that will help them remember the information you just presented.
    2) Start with a good ice breaker – In many cases, the audience will not know too much about you, and you won’t know too much about them either leaving the room in a neutral atmosphere with neither trust nor distrust. This can create an awkward situation that needs to be broken immediately for yourself and the audience. Start with a shocking fact or humor to draw their attention and lighten the mood in the room. I normally start my speeches with a short phrase that people can interpret in many ways, then often reintroduce that phrase throughout my speech to reinforce my opinion.
    3) Keep your speech simple and to the point- Clear and concise is always better than long and confusing. After relieving the tension in the room, state your key points to let the audience know why they are there and what they will be gaining from your presentation. At this point, it is easy to begin a trend towards a monotonous speech, but you must maintain the same passion given during the ice breaking period so your audience is not overwhelmed by information and tunes out before you even begin.
    4) Provide a healthy dose of humor – I believe that using sarcasm is a very dangerous method when providing a speech. Some people may view sarcastic comments in different ways which can cause varying opinions on your speech. Everyone’s sense of humor is different so it is important to use generic humor that can apply to everyone. Doing so will allow you to radiate confidence and natural charisma, two very important aspects to giving a successful speech. If the president can be humorous in his speeches, why can’t you?
    5) Tell a story – Don’t only focus on drowning your audience in information because that is a sure fire way to lose their attention. Tell a story that relates to the information and the audience to keep them interested. This is something that I personally should work on to improve the quality of my speeches.
    6) Practice your delivery – As mentioned in the article, practicing in front of a mirror is the best way to practice a speech. It allows you to watch yourself and observe your confidence, posture, and hand movement and can give you the extra boost of confidence you need to give a successful speech. I have been told my posture shifts a lot during presentations, so this is a tactic I should apply when preparing for a speech.
    7) Move around and use your hands – Having the jitters in your hand and awkwardly sliding around the room is not what this is implying. It is important to provide meaning with your movements as it shows confidence and passion in the information you’re providing. Taking up space in the room is key, but don’t make it look planned. Ensuring your movements are “powerful, yet effortless” will allow you to woo your audience over with confidence.
    8) Engage the audience by giving relative information – Why should they care? Give the audience a reason to care by basically saying “this will effect you” without actually saying so. Give examples and real life scenarios that relate to your topic. Everyone in the room is just a person and although they may play a different role in society than you, everyone can relate to most stories in one way or another.
    9) Use humorous pictures in slideshows – While not always necessary, slideshows can either make or break the quality of your speech. “Facts aren’t always black and white” so make it seem that way. Add color and interesting slide transitions to spic up your presentation a little bit. Humorous pictures or quotes can add to the quality of your speech by tickling the funny bone of the audience.
    10) Finally, end on a serious note – While this entire time giving your speech, you have been attempting to maintain a lighthearted atmosphere in the room, you still need to drive home the main point of your speech. You want them to remember you. Let things calm down at the end by leaving the audience with an important idea or quote that leaves them thinking.

Overall, I will carry the information provided through life as I attempt to improve my communication skills, primarily in speech giving. Reading this article gave me great insight on how to combat the nerves of presenting as well as ways to ensure my audience maintains interest throughout the entirety of my speech.

19. Stacy Tomaszfski November 13, 2015 at 3:19 pm #

This article is so important for not just our generation but for all generations. Giving a good presentation is so important in our day and age especially in the business world. I like how this author breaks the idea down into different techniques so it’s a bit easier to understand as well.

I know that presenting has always been a fear of mine and I’m sure it’s a big fear of others as well. Personally I believe that one of the most important techniques the author talked about was “Practicing your Delivery”. A lot of people tend to look over this because they think that it doesn’t help at all. Why would I want to do a speech twice right? But, doing this could really help you become more confident in the structure and delivery of your presentation when you’re in front of an audience. Being able to give an impromptu presentation is an important skill as well but if you have the opportunity to practice and prepare why not take it?

So many people forget that a presentation can in fact be an enjoyable thing to do. If you do practice and follow techniques like the author suggests, as well as other ones you can find, your skills can definitely improve.

20. Nicolette D November 13, 2015 at 4:10 pm #

I would like to start off by saying; I found this article to be an intriguing read. I consider myself one of many who oppose presenting. There are very few people who are actually fans of presentations. However, this article may persuade otherwise.

When I took the required course of public speaking, as a sophomore, I knew it was going to be my least favorite class overall. As much as I don’t mind watching other people present and speak, once I realize I’m up next, the nerves start to come. I absolutely despise this feeling. Once I saw this article had tips that could be helpful, I continued to read on.
    Now I can see these tips benefit ones performance as a whole. Confidence is key in order to give a strong performance. I believe it’s important to not be nervous or scared in front of an audience. The people you are speaking to may notice this and become uninterested. From the article, the tip of practicing seems to be the best way to build confidence. By practicing your speech in front of mirror can help a variety of things. You may notice how some parts of your speech sound aloud and want to change it a bit. I also see this as a good tip to make you more comfortable with how you speak to everyone. It can help you have a good presentation when you stand up in front of everyone, making you confident for your next speech.

Another tip from the article that I believe is essential would be keeping your presentation short and to the point. Majority of the audience doesn’t want to sit there and hear the same thing over and over again. Something short and simple and sweet should get the point across to everyone. Personally I wouldn’t want to listen to someone going on about such a boring topic, it’s not engaging. I sometimes may zone out without even realizing, I don’t mean to be rude but it’s not as interesting or fun as a speech ends quickly while getting the point across. As the presenter you shouldn’t want your audience bored. So keep in mind the importance of a shorter speech.

Overall there are many other great, important tips this article shared. It can certainly help out any public speaker that is still nervous and hates presenting. Out of all 10 tips, the couple I mentioned seems to be the best in order to accomplish a good presentation for any audience. This article not only benefits nervous speakers, but also certainly helped myself become more confident and improved my presenting skills.

21. Andrew Lentini November 13, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

College where they say all you do is work on your public speaking and have teachers that are rude and you can not talk to. That is simple just not true well not at Seton Hall at least. There are many presentations you must give though. Getting through these is not the easiest thing do. The key to giving a good presentation is making sure the audience is involved all the time and activity listening to everything you have to say. Sort and sweet is the way to go when talking to a large group. The longer you talk the more of the audience you will lose. Obviously making sure you have talked long enough to were you exceed the minimum but you do not want to go too much over or the audience will be gone very quickly. Taking oral communications last year I learned it is very important to grab the attention of the audience from the start and there is no better way of doing that than with a nice ice breaker. Jokes keep everything light while you can say some sad things to get their heart beating. Simplicity is also very important, it is key to know how to be able to get your point across without the audience taking much effort to understand what you say. When you are telling a story it is good to get right to the facts to keep everyone interested especially when you will be talking for a little while. No better way to get an audience than with a nice dose of humor. Humor can bring people together just through making someone laugh this will keep the audience involved and actively listening to every word you say waiting for the next joke to come along the way. Everyone does this when they are speaking even president Obama, but make sure you pick the right spots for humor every situation is different. What do people love more than a good story, nothing. So you have to give the audience what they want, tell them a story instead of just speaking or stating facts. Practice practice practice that is the best thing to do when having to make a presentation. Make sure you stand infront of the mirror and read your whole script making sure you make eye contact with yourself and are not looking down the whole time. One very important thing I learned is about the Clinton box. Many people ask what that is and it is using your hands to speak but making sure your hands don’t go wider than your shoulders or lower than your belly button. By following you will be able to have more of the audience attention on you and not your hands when you are talking infront of a large group. Make sure you can relate to your audience and that the stories you tell them will have an impact on them for a very long time to come. Relation is key and all stories should follow what you are saying. Ending on a serious note is a good way for the audience to leave with something that will hopefully stick with them for a while. Giving a presentation is not easy but that is why practice is for the best and like anything else in life the more you do it the better you will get.

22. Michael MacRae November 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm #

Sometimes you read an article and it comes at the right stage in your life when you can greatly appreciate it. This article is that article for me. I have been taking Oral Communications this semester and it drives me absolutely nuts how little students care about making their presentation interesting. Just this week, I’ve listened to presentations about how Iranians are bad people, robots are taking over the world (and so we shouldn’t use self -driving cars), and that Batman would beat Superman in a fight because he could “just buy kryptonite”. While the course is designed to help students improve in their public speaking skills, the students are not focusing on making the presentations entertaining to their audience. This article tells us to make presentations “Short and Sweet”. That means that the presentation I listened to that was about denim jeans was a bad idea because it lasted about 10 minutes longer than the time limit. This is one of the most important pieces of advice that this article gives. If you can’t make your speech or presentation decently-sized, the content is irrelevant.

The second piece of advice is to come up with a good ice-breaker. My O.C. class seems to think that a good icebreaker is something like “does anyone else love Minnesota?” This article points out that an icebreaker needs to get a reaction that reaches everybody. Maybe if you gave a short story with a twist or gave me a quote from somebody important, I’d be more interested. Our third piece is to stay on point. That is self-explanatory. If it adds nothing to your speech topic, why say it? Its dead words. The fifth piece is something I had never thought about before. It says “tell a story instead of ranting.” In the aforementioned “Iranians are bad” speech, it sounded like a racist, bigoted news source was shouting at me from the podium. It was extremely offensive and I am sure that the entire class looked at him like he was an idiot. Presentations should flow smoothly like a narrative. They should have a resolution at the end – whether it be getting an overall point across or actually telling a story.

Seventh point – Use your hands and move around. Note how the author specifies that you have to use your hands in a deliberate manner. I have witnessed a speaker’s inability to use their hands effectively and it is extremely awkward. I remember back in high school, we had to watch an example of a successful presentation. It was ironic because the woman exhibited very few strong public speaking skills. After the 20 minute video, my friend behind me said to me, “I am completely exhausted after watching that woman.” She was completely correct – keep your hands looking fluid when you move them and don’t move them too much. I find myself in disagreement with the author’s 9th piece of advice – use funny images in your slides. Typically, the images that the presenter chooses are contrived internet memes that really aren’t funny – they’re uncomfortable. I would say unless you’re positive that the entire audience is going to find it funny, don’t use these “humorous” pictures of cat’s using smartphones. Finally, end with a serious note. I like that because it is really true – if a speech ends with a strong message, I will clap wholeheartedly and enjoy it. Otherwise, it’s just a “nice speech” so long as the rest of the speech went well.

23. Linda L November 14, 2015 at 9:00 am #

Being a current Finance Major I have managed to successfully push back my most of my feared classes. Two of them being mandatory, Public Speaking and Research and Writing, but it’s here to traumatize me for next semester. You can’t hide from your fears forever they eventually come to haunt you. With that being said, I am scared to go up in front of a group of people and speak. I turn red and cannot make eye contact because I need to read from the paper. That’s pretty armature behavior if you ask me. I need to buff this section up. I can probably be added to a pool of people with the same phobias.
    Years of running I am actually happy to face my fears in seeing what this course can help me with in structuring myself in speaking within a large group of people in a single room. I am at a point in my career that has had me come out of my cubicle and express my thoughts on current changes that were occurring within a system data base or just introducing myself with different units within my Bureau. I mean they are only my peers right? They don’t bite so why so much anxiety? I ask myself. I suppose I put pressure to sound knowledgeable and professional in front of my high commands. I feel like presentation and how you communicate your message across is very important and it says a lot about yourself when you normally sit in a cubicle. For me, that was nerve wrecking. I don’t know how others more dedicated to the communications and advertising markets do it on a regular basis.
    This article helps a reader take account that it is important to be comfortable with the subject at hand, the material break downs, and the way you maneuver to engage with your audience. Preparation is key with diligent practice to master your presentation. Also, you should always be prepared for expected questions from your audience which shows your knowledge in the subject. After these steps are perfected you will naturally portray confidence, strength and understanding in the subject you speak.
    Next, one can then focus on details to help engage on your audience so you don’t lose their interest and can take this information as a valuable message they can use towards their work or any related event or life encounter. The article emphasized you should keep an upbeat rhythm when you speak so you don’t bore them with dull tones. You could also speak about a personal relation example that relates to the subject or even throw in a child hood memory to connect with more audience than before. Engagement with your audience is important it shows you’re doing your job and it shows their acknowledgement along with any feedback you can use for your personal critiques. Lastly, and most importantly keep your messages short and sweet, preferably short powerful with a short message. It’s proven that short messages stick more in someone’s memory than a scripture. This type of work or hobby isn’t for everyone but everyone should be able to speak up and out to some extent in order to communicate in the real working world.

24. Laurie Gallic October 31, 2018 at 3:07 pm #

As time goes on I have realized more and more that public speaking is one of those skills that a college student, and student of life, cannot do without. Luckily for me, I have been doing public speaking and forensic type speeches since middle school. And although I have gotten better with time the nerves still hit me each time I go up to present. As many, I am sure, can relate, there is nothing like that feeling of going up to present only to find your mind empty of any and every piece of information you had researched. I wish this was something the article had touched more on; how to get past the nerves. However, it did touch on other parts which I found helpful. One, in particular, was the idea of opening by connecting to the audience with human emotion. I have found in my personal experiences as a listener that when presenters start with humor or a story I am ten times more intrigued to hear what they have to say. After reading this article I have come to realize that this is something I can employ in my presentations with some practice. I say practice because there is nothing worse then when a speaker goes up and makes a joke or comment and gets no reaction whatsoever. This was my only issue with what this article had to say. Although humor is a great skill to use in public speaking, I think there is a certain art to it and it can easily turn into something that hurts you and your presentation. I also liked the point the author made to mention moving around. In a course I took during high school on public speaking, this was one point they went out of their way to stress time and time again. As well as captivating the audience I have found it to also be helpful in calming my nerves. While walking I am able to give myself more time to think about what I am about to say without leaving the audience staring at nothing. All of these points are good reminders that I hope to employ in my future presentations, speeches, etc. However, I think the best tool or tactic anyone can use is to keep practicing and presenting. Even raising your hand in class or asking obscure questions can help to aid your public speaking skills in the long run.

25. Britania B November 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm #

I am taking a public speaking class so we mostly presentation every other week about uninteresting topics and some that are. For the first to make a presentation short and sweet. Sometimes a professor would like a lengthy presentation for instead a 5-7 minutes, not 3-5 minutes. The second steps to open up with a good icebreaker is another way to say have a good attention getter. It works because it gets the audience to be a focus on what the speaker is about to say. The third step to keep things simple and to the point is very important because the speaker does not want to stray away from the original point that is coming across. The fourth step is to use a healthy dose of humor is only for certain presentations. The fifth step tries to tell a story instead of ranting is also for a certain type of presentation. If a speaker is doing an informative speech, they cannot include a story because that would be their own personal opinion which they can not use.
    The sixth step practices your delivery is important because practice made you perfect so the speaker will know their structure of the presentation. The seventh step moves around and uses your hands, recently my professor encourages us to do that for a speech because creates move involvement with the audience. The eighth step engages the audience by making it relatable is something speaker do so the audience will have at least one thing to understand that presentation. The ninth step using a funny image in slides could be bad sometimes because not all presentation should be funny. The last step end on a serious note is not for every speech. Taking a public speaking class teaches me all that is important in a presentation and what is not. Some of these steps are fully important, but other really just depends on the presentation that the speaking is doing.

26. Aaliyah W. November 6, 2018 at 5:58 pm #

The thought of public speaking scares me. There are many eyes on you and only you, while you are up there explaining your topic. They are watching your every move and criticizing every word that comes out of your mouth. The reason people fear public speaking in my opinion is that they do not want to say the wrong thing or embarrass themselves. Throughout the years, teachers have made me get up in the front of the class and present small presentations. I would never be nervous until I physically got up and stood in front of the class, but that nervousness never stopped me from completing my presentation. Nowadays, I must admit it is quite scary, especially with being in college. Students are older and have more opinions than ever before. I wish there was a way to develop into a well-spoken speaker and not hold back because I am scared, etc. My future profession involves communicating with different individuals daily, as well as presenting them ideas and making sure that they understand my findings/results, so being a public speaker for me is necessary.

This article by Ivan Dimitrijevic seems to provide key elements on having a well-developed presentation. There were three major elements that were brought up by Ivan that I feel are the most useful. The first one is making sure that you open the presentation with a way of grabbing the audience’s attention. It could be something along the lines of having the presentation relate to them or if it is not business related, something that will humor them into wanting to hear further. This is important because it is your introduction, if you fail at this part then you already have lost their interest. The second element I found useful is to continuously practice your delivery and ensure that it is how you want it to sound. Practice makes perfect and without that your presentation can go downhill instantly. I remember when I had presentations, I used to practice in the mirror until I was able to get through my presentation without stuttering and/or using the word umm plenty of times. The more I practiced, the more it made me feel at ease when the time came to present, for the simple fact that I knew exactly what I was talking about and would be able to answer any questions if need be. The final element that was useful is, keeping the presentation short and straight to the point. People only want to hear the necessary information; all the fluff only makes your presentation longer and dreadful/painful to listen to. Based on these elements I hope to obtain a developed presentation throughout the rest of my college years and continue to improve for my future career.

27. Clement Bourret November 8, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

Public speaking is a skill that very few people master perfectly. I used to read a lot of articles about this topic especially because English is not my first language and I had to take a speech class during my second semester in America. My english was not very good when I first came in America and of course it improved a lot during my first months but still, I was not very comfortable speaking in English in front of the class. The discomfort was not from stress or anxiety as most of the people but it was about the language barrier. Indeed, it is much easier to write an essay in english because you can proofread yourself and correct your grammar faults if needed. When you are standing in front of your classmates delivering a speech, you cannot. This is when I realized how much easier it was to deliver a speech in our first language, the language that we master the most. I talked with my teacher about my language issues. She encouraged me to speak slowly during my presentation in order to be understood clearly (with my accent). She also pointed out that my presentations will get more attention than other because people are not used to listen to someone with a different accent. This class helped me a lot, because as the article mentions the delivery is a main factor of a good presentation but it is not everything. The visual aid is very important because this is what is going to guide the presentation. It is important to have the main ideas on the powerpoint and/or notes as a reminder of what I am going to talk about. Asking questions is important as well to keep the audience engaged in the presentation. However the main important thing that I learned from this class is practice. The teacher encouraged us to practice a lot our speech before presenting in class. Practice does not mean learning our speech words by words. But it means knowing perfectly our topic in order to cover all the main ideas and also to be able to talk about it whatever the questions are from the audience. That is why the number 6 rule in this article “Practice your delivery” is the most important.

28. Aaron R November 9, 2018 at 1:56 pm #

Effective presentation skills are a necessity to move up the corporate ladder. Even though public speaking skills do not come naturally for many people it is essential that everyone takes time to build up their confidence and perfect their speaking routine. A speaker must enjoy the presentation because if they do not how can they expect their audience to enjoy it and really consider the main points. The speaker needs to quickly engage the audience and grab their attention. Demonstrating confidence initially will take a hold of the audience and make them want to hear and understand what you have to say.
    Once you have their attention you need to present your core ideas concisely and effectively. When the speaker rambles on it pushes away the audience and dilutes the overall presentation.
    The significance of using a bit of humor during a presentation is overlooked. By using humor it breaks a bit of the formality and brings the presentation to a more personal conversation. By taking this approach the speaker can genuinely interact and reach the audience at a deeper level. When doing this the comfort levels increase for both parties creating a better overall environment. Also, this allows you to effectively relay your story. The audience does not want someone who merely spits out facts but instead want to hear your story and how what your talking about has directly affected your experiences. Your presentation must have a consistent flow and order that allows you to communicate your main points without overwhelming the audience as the article mentions.
    Your movement has gestures have as much of an impact on your delivery as the way you speak. This is why practicing and perfecting your movements and hand signals is so critical. It is essential to be comfortable and relaxed as opposed to uptight and stiff. Make your movements fluid and consistent. Finally, the article talks about the significance of ending on a serious note. I agree with this point as it is always great to have fun with the audience but at the end of the presentation, you must make sure that they are aware of the importance of your core ideas.

29. Marion Waterkeyn November 8, 2019 at 1:15 am #

There are so many ways to make a presentation interesting for the listener. Yet, only a few presenters can attract all of their listener’s attention. As explained in the article, giving an interesting lecture or speech is something that can be practiced and perfected. I think that everybody should try to improve their speaking skills as everyone will find themselves in situations in which they have to give a speech, present a topic, or others.
    Communication 290, a professional and strategic speech class, is a requirement that all business major students must take in order to graduate. This class provides students with practical information necessary for effective communication in various business and professional settings. It covers communication processes, principles, and models in the modern organization. Clearly, this class is a great way to prepare business students for business-related presentations and speeches. The only negative point about this class is that teachers often give the students a topic for their speech instead of letting them decide their topic. I believe that students would perform much better if they are allowed to give a speech on something they are passionate about. How is a presenter supposed to attract people’s attention if he or she is not interested or motivated about his or her topic? This being said, I think that this speech class might be one of the most important classes, certainly for business students.
    The article covers many really important points for presenters. I am convinced that the most important part of someone’s speech is the beginning. It is crucial that speakers find a way to attract everybody’s attention from the first minute. Thus, my advice would be to be extremely confident or at least act as if you are and start with something creative, something out of the ordinary, something that triggers interest. The article illustrates many icebreaker examples, the trick is to find an icebreaker that suits your personality and your topic. For instance, I like to start a speech or presentation with a magic trick, depending on my speech topic I use different tricks. If you are a little creative, you can always find a way to link a magic trick to a topic. However, I feel like even though this works for me it wouldn’t work for everyone. So, I believe that people should try to find icebreakers that suit them. A serious person performing a magic trick won’t be successful, this person would maybe attract much more attention if he would ask the public an interesting question.
    Once you have the audience’s attention, you should do everything to maintain that. It is not always easy but as explained in the article you could use healthy humor, move your hands or move around, use funny images in your slides, etc. These examples might seem stupid, but you should try them and will see that they actually make a difference. Sometimes it is hard though because you could present a topic to a group of people and have their full attention, and later do the exact same presentation to another group of people and totally lose their attention. Thus, it is important that presenters analyze the public and interact with the reaction of their audience. I believe that the best way to practice this is by doing improvisation exercises.
    Before I wrap up, I want to repeat that practice is key. The more you practice the more you will start to understand your personality on stage, the more you will be able to play with that with as goal attracting people’s attention. The more you practice the more techniques you develop to maintain that attention from the beginning until the end of the presentation. In addition, you gain confidence, you start speaking at a good pace, etc.

30. Javier Tovar November 8, 2019 at 4:42 pm #

In this day and age everyone creates, does, or listens to a presentation as least once in their lives. I personally have listened to numerous presentations over throughout my life. I have also created and done presentations for others as well. Even though we come into contact with presentations all of the time that’s doesn’t mean every presentation I have done or seen are always interesting. I have done some really boring presentations and I have also sat through some pretty boring ones as well. Every time I find a presentation boring, I do not retain any information from it no matter the subject matter.
    This being the case, I think is article is very important and useful. Why even give a presentation if you can’t keep your audience engaged and get them to retain the information you give them? The article recommends making the presentation short and to the point. Speeches and presentations that are too dull and long tend to lose the audience’s attention very quickly. Therefore, presenters must be able to condense a presentation or speech while not losing any key ideas or important information. To do this, you could make your sentences more meaningful instead of trying to fill up the whole slide with information that could be useless or boring; quality over quantity.
    Starting off with a good ice breaker is also crucial for keeping the audience engaged. If you connect with your audience, they won’t feel indifferent about you when you speak and wont drift off into la la land. They won’t see you as a robot just saying a bunch of sentences. You will be seen as a person trying to deliver an important message to your audience. It also recommends portraying your topic a story instead of just ranting. This will also keep the audience’s attention as they will want to know what happens next in your interesting topic. Usage of humor throughout the presentation also maintains the personal connection you made with the audience in the beginning. Personally, I think people need mental breaks during presentations to be brought back to reality as humans. Using humor is the best way to give people the humanly connection they need when interacting with others.

31. Anthony Freda November 8, 2019 at 7:28 pm #

I think the 10 Secrets of Making Every Presentation Fun, Engaging, and Enjoyable is a very helpful article for any person making a presentation. Public speaking is a very difficult task for many and it can take years of learning to truly master. The largest part about being a good public speaker is being comfortable on stage. A numerous amount of the secrets this article presents can help a person be comfortable, including your introduction, telling a story, and engaging in your audience. Even though the article does not directly state the point, being comfortable is by far the most important secret a person can have. This article can be very helpful to people who did not receive an education on how to properly presents. However, a large majority of high schools and colleges are discovering the importance of your presentation skills and adding it to the curriculum.

The article itself reminds me of how a TedTalk is delivered. Almost all 10 of these secrets shared can be clearly seen with TedTalk speakers. This is a way of making your audience the most engaged, as well as retain the information being shared. I think the most important tip that was not included within the article is speaking to your audience’s knowledge level. Knowing information about your audience’s demographics and experience levels can make or break your presentation. Becoming familiar with who you are presenting towards will help make you a better presenter.

I previously stated how helpful this article can be to people who do not have any educational background on presenting. I do believe that the article is helpful but it may become irrelevant in the upcoming years. Since society is becoming so technologically advanced, all people will have the knowledge on how to share a presentation. Education is becoming more popular and more people are attending universities and earning degrees. Any smart high school or university who knows what they are doing will surely have a class that teaches their students how to present. The article is very helpful but articles like this may find itself being less and less common in the future.