What’s the Deal with All These Messaging Apps?

from Lifehacker

Dear Lifehacker,
I’ve been hearing a ton about different messaging apps these days, but I don’t understand why I should care. One search shows WhatsApp, Viber, iMessages, Snapchat, Kik, Facebook Messenger, and dozens more. I already have text messaging. Why do I need these other apps?

Sincerely,
What’s App

Dear WA,
It seems like every day we’re reading about a new messaging app. It’s pretty difficult to tell the difference between them, but they can be useful for specific situations. Let’s start by focusing in on what exactly the appeal of messaging apps is, then move on to picking the right one for your uses.

93 Responses to What’s the Deal with All These Messaging Apps?

1. Alla Dmytriieva April 12, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

What this article made me think about besides how wonderful the technological progress could be, is what effect this type of apps will have on the regular phone service contracts and prices. Many of these applications are free and are designed for not only text messages but also for phone calls (some even allow international messaging and calling), video chats and many other features. All the person needs pretty much is a smart phone and wi-fi access.
    It feels like pretty soon the services provided by the major phone companies will become much cheaper or even free. This could be good for consumers like us but it could also have a negative effect unless companies will find ways to rebuild their profits in another way like setting higher prices for data plans. But there is no guarantee that in the future people won’t invent free nationwide wireless internet access and that would really make things interesting.
    As to the security concerns raised in the article I believe anyone using these applications should also use a common sense. There is no need to text a sensitive information like social security number, date of birth and credit card number.

2. jingyi lu April 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

this seems new to me ,I am using an iphone now but never had I used such messages before.maybe imessage or text message but never this one.in China I know that students use other tools like this whatsapp,we call it wechat and we also use a softwear called QQ to comunicate with our familiies or frinends.you can the model you like there,like arrange a meeting .a multiple people chatting room.seng your voice message or the other ones as well.but for me I still prefer the very old style—imessage or textmessage ,sometimes I will call them.I dont really like those small gadets,I think they are designed for curious kids,after all,the most function communication style you will find is still the “call”

3. Ken McPherson April 15, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

When I first caught a glimpse of the content of this article I had a feeling that it would encourage a lot of comments and low and behold I was right. I think the reason for this is that many of many peers currently use at least half of the messaging apps featured here in this article. While I am not the most up to date user of messaging apps , I certainly value their contributions to speedy communication of words, pictures, videos and just about anything else. However, I recognize the potential pitfalls these apps have opened up. Many of my friends who use these various apps find themselves constantly checking them and attuned to every update each one receives. To me, that is a terrible way to live. Also, as a person who like to keep his personal life well personal- I find that some people feel the need to post and send out every single detail of their lives to their friends or anyone who wants to see.

• Cedric Kabore February 19, 2016 at 7:38 pm #

I think that messaging apps are more helpful than harmful in the sense that they allow us to be connected at any time. When it comes to privacy there’s encrypted messaging apps like WhatsApp. Privacy is designed into the product, and security is designed in. Some of our most personal data is on the phone, our financial data, and our health information, our conversations with our friends and family and coworkers. And so instead of us taking that data into Apple, we’ve kept data on the phone, and it’s encrypted by you. You control it. Online privacy is a big deal because the government want to have access to our lives and have a certain control. Especially the order that the government gave to Apple. That order requests that Apple develop a new version of iOS capable of allowing law enforcement to bypass key security settings in order to rapidly “brute force” a series of password guesses to unlock its encryption. Among other things, this would erase the time delays between false password attempts and allow for automated, electronic submission of a string of potential passwords rather than requiring that each be keyed in manually by a real person. I think big companies should stand against the government and protect the users.

4. Alexandra La Fata April 18, 2014 at 12:13 am #

Although I am up to date with the modernized technology, I have a hard time understanding why there are so many different messaging apps. As an iPhone user, I use the iMessage messaging app. To me, it makes sense to use iMessage because it is a part of the built in software of my phone. Therefore, I do not understand why someone would utilize WhatsApp, Viber, or Kik, if they all do the same thing, for the most part. Yes, apps like Snapchat are different, but what is the point of yet another texting app taking up space on your phone?

This article helped breakdown the uses of these different apps and explained what makes each individual one different from the rest. I never really thought about how helpful it could be to be able to text or instant message internationally. With regular SMS text messaging there will be unavoidable fees when texting abroad. Apps like WhatsApp allows you to communicate between great amounts of different types of devices, despite wherever you are.

Another benefit to the different messaging apps are the security factors that some apps provide. For example, the app Surespot can help keep your messages out of the hands of hackers. This app allows you to text through an anonymous profile that is not associated with your phone number or email. This means you could securely message users through a no hassle app. Even though these anonymous apps have their benefits, apps like Tinder can sometimes seem a little dangerous. It seems a little scary that other people can view a profile that tells all about you, while also being able to receive or identify your exact location.

The article recognized the same problem with all of these apps that I have always thought; each app is only as useful as the people who are using it. Standard SMS texting is still probably the most compatible way of communicating with other people and their devices. Still, there are a variety of texting apps for everyone’s unique messaging preferences.

5. Megan Gordon April 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

I think that the reason that there are so many apps that are dedicated to messaging is because it is one of the biggest markets in the app world. Although there are many apps for messaging they are mostly all different forms of messaging, there is snapchat which is different than iMessage which is different than Twitter and Instagram. These apps all go further than the first thought of messaging which would be texting because they go more into the social media aspect of messaging. These different forms of apps for messaging all comes down to appeal and demand. These apps all have something different to offer in the realm of messaging. The other reason that there are many is because you can only communicate with people that are using the same app as you so you have to have all the different ones that the people that you wish to communicate have. I think that all this is ruining the personal connections within society and things should go back to face to face communication because it is more personal and sincere.

6. Matthew Corrales April 18, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

I thought this article was interesting because it showed me that we rely on communicating with other people through messaging apps and not face to face. All these messaging apps have made it easier to communicate with others that may be far away but when it comes to being person to person, they may not know what to talk about. The good side to these apps is that they have become useful for everyone around the world; normal text messaging through a cell phone provider will cost you money to get in contact with friends or family from a different country. Even if you’re out of the country and want to get a hold of someone in the U.S., these apps are very useful because it avoids the charges you may acquire and you can talk or text anyone around the world.
    The good thing about messaging apps is that if one can’t afford a cellular device, as long as they have an iPod, or any device that allows you to download apps, they can do the same exact things such as calling texting and emailing without being connected to a cellular plan. These plans today with the specific one needs, can be expensive depending on the company. The bad side to these messaging apps is that it is taking away or communication between other people which is important because communication person to person creates relationships weather they be personal or work related.

7. Briana Jimenez April 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

With phone carriers making unlimited text messaging harder and harder to afford, people are looking for alternatives. I think messaging apps are beneficial. However, I did not know how many different ones existed. I knew of Snapchat, and I like to think of it as a more private version of Instagram. It can be fun and an interesting way to send messages and videos. I did not know about the ones that allow you to connect to other people in the area over wifi. Those I think are a detriment to society, people already use social medias to communicate when they are not face to face, and on the few times that they are in public they are forced to communicate by mouth. However, with this app people will just use wifi to talk to people in the area. I can see how that seems like a good idea, but I feel like it is going to affect society and how we communicate which is already something we have to work on.

8. Cora Meehan April 24, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

This article does a really good job explaining the several different kinds of messaging apps. However, I am still not sold on why I would need to get one! I have an iPhone and I use iMessage and SMS Messages. I’m not a fan of downloading hundreds of apps to clutter my phone, so why replace something if its not broken?

Even though I sound anti-messaging app, I have used one before. Viber, and other messaging apps can be very useful when traveling internationally. On my most recent trip across the pond, I used Viber. It allows you to make phone calls and send messages all through wifi. It was a convenient way for me to talk to my family and friends that were still in the US while I was abroad. Other than this reason, though, I don’t see a reason for the messaging apps.

I was slightly confused when the author added Snapchat and Tinder to his list of messaging apps. I have always considered Tinder a source of social media, as all the people that I know that use it don’t message people with it. They merely use it as a self-confidence booster. Snapchat, however, is really a messaging app. I had never considered it that, but it is a way to communicate between people.

9. Faye Kotsianas April 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Technology has changed abundantly over the years. From the cell phone to TV to the software that make up that TV or iPhone. The new obsession that has to do with phones is the invention of an app where you go on a market to purchase or download free apps that serve as features to your phone. This article particularly talks about texting and the many different forms of it. For an example, in the past years, if you wanted to communicate with someone, you would go over their house to speak to them one on one, and then the invention of the telephone came where you spoke to that person over a device, then e-mail came along to contact a person through the computer and then cell phones came and pagers, etc., This exact chain reaction sequence of events is occurring to the software of these technologies.
    When I was about thirteen and I got my first cell phone, where you either called a person or texted them. In today’s world, you can text them, or i-message them or download an app like Viber to talk to them. I think that this source of conversing with someone is getting too intricate where if you have an iPhone and are trying to contact someone with another iPhone, you use iMessage, but they have an Android phone, it gets sent as a text message. Although this is all done on the same app, there are two different kinds of formation. If an iMessage doesn’t go through because there isn’t enough data usage or service, it gets sent as a SMS text message. And now there are apps like Viber that allows users to speak to someone who lives overseas.
    As the world changes, technology will always improve, as will the software that make up the technology that we use on a daily basis. More iPhones will be created, as will more computers, and TVs, etc., as will the apps on these devices will. The app stores are constantly growing where people are creating all these new ideas for games or convenient apps. I won’t be surprised if more apps will be invented for advance the use of text messaging and it actually has through the invention of Facetime or video chatting where instead of texting, you talk to another person through the camera of the phone or computer. I’ve never heard of this What’s Up app but if it’s another way to talk to someone, I won’t get it just because it’s too time consuming trying to speak to someone through text messaging, twitter, and then the other apps. There are also texting apps where if you do not have an actual cell phone and have something like an iPod or iPad, you can download an app where you have a text messaging number wherever you have Wi-Fi. This was a fantastic idea but it makes having someone’s number so complicated. These different texting sources have good intentions, but I believe that it is and will make it more difficult for users in the future.

10. BM September 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Messaging apps have been upgraded since the cell phone came out. The text message started out as a quick way to get a message to someone; more recently, text messaging is used as a method of communication. Many people use messaging apps to stay in constant contact with friends, and family, make plans, and have group conversations. A wave of new apps has been released to offer people more ways to do the same functions.
    Most of these apps such as Whatsapp, GroupMe, and similar apps are only effective, and helpful when it comes to group messaging a large group of mixed smartphone users. When sending a group message between Android, iPhone and Windows phones the messages can be messed up and all split into individual texts; however, using these apps group messages can be kept in a group, and will be compatible with all the devices. Other than the purpose of group messaging I think that messaging apps are a waste of time, data usage, and storage on my phone.
    Something that was brought to my mind when I was reading through the other comments on this article was how dangerous texting is in general. This becomes especially true with the popular app Snapchat.
    Snapchat makes users feel safer because they think that their message is gone forever after the allotted time passes that they allow the user to view it; however, this is not the case. Once something is put out there or sent it cant be taken back. Similarly it can be brought back up and shown to whomever the person who received it wishes. So if I send a message to Sue about John then Sue can show whoever she wants what I had to say, and has the proof in a text on her phone, or a picture. Messaging apps are useful, and convenient; at the same time though they are dangerous, and lasting.

11. Madison King September 9, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

I definitely find this topic an interesting one, for a long time I have wondered why must there be so many different messaging apps when every phone is installed with the average texting app, why is there any need for three or four more? I understand that many have specific uses because I have used a few that are quite convenient but those who act the same as a text message I find completely redundant. What’s App is a great app for if you are trying to communicate with people who are abroad, you are able to message freely on Wi-Fi without having to pay the SMS charges that come from international texting. To be honest, I was very unaware that Snapchat was avidly associated with sexting. For my friends and I. It has almost turned into a regular messaging app. Being at school it is one of the only ways I stay in touch with my friends from home, we all send each other studying pictures or just what we happen to be doing at the moment. It’s a way I can still see my closest friends every day without even having to be there. FireChat seems interesting that it runs off of Bluetooth. I am not sure how I feel that is anonymous though. Anonymous sites always tend to throw up a red flag to me because when people are given the opportunity to communicate without their personal identity their words can become crude and mean. The amount of different messaging apps seems a little excessive. As the article points out you cannot intercommunicate between the apps and choices are significantly narrowed by the choices of those with whom you wish to connect with.

12. Amanda Del Grosso September 9, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

I have always wondered what the point of having so many messaging apps was. Remember when there were only letters and numbers we could put into a text message? There were no emojis, no pictures to attach, just plain old text. Cell phones have gone from having the most basic type of texting there could to now having several ways of messaging people, be it by text message or video. It seems the main reason is for competition. Companies want to be the latest and greatest way of communication for the public.
    Is there really such a need to have all of these apps though? These days, depending on what phone you have, there is a different messaging setup. I have an android and my friends with iPhones sometimes cannot receive parts of a message that I send. For example some emojis or pictures do not show up on my phone,at least the way it would if I had an iPhone. However, think it is great that we have so many options for communication. There are so many ways to keep in touch with some of the friends I don’t get to see all the time.
    The only downside to having so many apps are that, as the article states, if your friends do not use the same ones, they are useless; you are talking to pretty much no one. In order for you to communicate through some of these apps, your circle of friends need to be using them as well and not all of the apps are very popular.
    Snapchat, for example is very popular and great because I can communicate with my friends as if I am actually spending the day with them. Many people use them and you can connect your contacts to it so that any of your friends who have snapchat can be found and you can add them.There are even “stories” that we can create and send to each other that go up to 2 minutes or longer, so we can send pictures and videos of our entire day to one another.
    In conclusion, I feel these apps keep our options open. It is all about preference and whatever someones friends are using is what they will be using. Most messaging apps are more popular then others, but they are definitely all great and useful in there own way. Some just become more used than others.

13. emily Wilson November 6, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

This article caught my attention because I’m always curious as to why there are so many messaging apps and why they are so popular. After reading this, my curiosities have been cured and I’ve realized a lot about the purpose of it.
    At the beginning of the article, the Whats App responder mentioned how it was useful for people who speak across country borders, which I can absolutely relate to. One of my best friends lives in Australia and the only way we can text without our phone bills reaching a whopping $300 is through Facebook, which I personally hate using. I now understand and am considering using this app. Not only that but it’s a way to get around paying for texting at all. What’s App provides so many features and opportunities to talk to whomever you please and it seems like a pretty good idea.
    Snapchat, which happens to be one of my most used apps on my phone, provides an easy and fun way to communicate. A lot of the time I will be snap chatting and texting someone at the same time. I even snapchat my roommate when we’re in bed at night just because it’s fun and we’re bored. It’s a new way to talk to people and it’s fun because you can ask for clothing advice or just show them where you are, etc.
    The other applications I didn’t really find any appeal to. FireChat and Tinder aren’t my “scene” so I wouldn’t wan to use those apps, those present a more stranger danger approach than I like. Overall though, I found this article to be informative and interesting.

14. Valentina Reyes January 23, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

We live in a time period where instant gratification is what is expected. We want things to happen and we want them now. So it’s no wonder companies have moved to take advantage of the desires of this generation and created a way to both give us what we want and profit from it. Messaging is much quicker than calling and less of a hassle (if you can call pressing a few buttons and waiting, listening to the tone of the phone dialing a hassle). With messaging, you say what you need, send it off, and move along with your day. It allows for you to send your message on your own time and for the receiver to view and reply on their own time as well. This is great. It is convenient, and simple. Moreover, it helps to connect people all around the world. As the article mentioned, many of the messaging apps available work through WiFi or data, which means that you both save on messaging charges, as well as are able to use them anywhere in the world with WiFi capability. WhatsApp and Viber (the first a messaging app and the latter a calling app) happen to be the apps that I use to communicate with my family in Chile, and it saves us all a lot of money on calling cards or international calling fees. They also serve a great purpose in getting information quick in the case of emergencies or disasters, especially when phone lines are down (as was the case in February 2010 when a 8.8 earthquake temporarily knocked out the power lines, but I was able to make sure they were all alright through WhatsApp).
    Technology can be a wonderful thing and the advances are pretty impressive, but there is also a darker side to technology that not many notice while marveling at its capabilities. What is connecting us is also, in many ways, distancing us. In my case, I use WhatsApp and Viber to communicate with my family in Chile because I cannot readily spend time with them. But oftentimes, people overuse these apps as a way to replace actual human contact. There is so much you can say, so many conversations you can have, whether anonymous (like is the case with FireChat), or send pictures (Snapchat), or meet new people (Tinder). But why use FireChat in a crowded place and digitally chat with the people in the vicinity when you could start a conversation with the person standing right next to you? Why send a 10 second picture to your friend when you could go out with them and live experiences together? Why use Tinder when you could easily meet people at the library, the gym, or any other place around you if you’d just put the phone down and search for interactions rather than a new app?

15. Andrés Linares February 6, 2015 at 11:01 pm #

Being in constant contact with the people close to you, is one of the best thing texting made, when cellphones were created. In many countries different from the US a text message is pretty expensive, while is not in the US. In the US unlimited texting is pretty cheap, in other countries as it has been my own experience, in Colombia texting is expensive if you text all day as teenagers do. A text to your same movile server can me around 50c per text and 75c to other server. Imagine how expensive would it be if people texted all day as they do?
    In the other hand some apps as it is WhatsApp, it uses an amount of data that is not even notable, so internet might be expensive but you can text all day long with WhatsApp and the amount of data used in a month is not even going to get near to 1GB.

Companies as Apple and BlackBerry wanted to bring this to their servers so they created their own texting apps between same companies, between iPhones or between Blackberries is also fretting with an amount of data that is “nothing”. The difference of an app as WhatsApp is that works between every phone, is an app you download from each application center, connecting every one. In the other hand their is many people, mostly girls, that want to send pictures all the time between friends, so an application as Snapchat is the perfect one for the moment. Snapchat is an application where you send pictures to friends with a limit of 10 seconds and it can only be replayed once maximum. This also helps with data, sending one picture to someone through a normal texting app, uses a lot of data, when you send a picture through snapchat it almost does not use data at all. Also many people wants to send pictures that might be not pictures that you want the others to save, just for the moment, so this is also an app that helps. Texting is perfect way to be connected with everyone at every moment, some people just have to learn of not to be dependent from this apps, because your social life can turn into an anti-social life and if you use them in a car, hopefully not it could finish ending with your life.

16. Casey Scharer March 20, 2015 at 1:41 am #

I found this article to be very informative because I never realized how many messaging apps we are given access to. I’ll admit that I am definitely one of those people who are constantly on their phone, but I have not heard of a lot of these apps, so I enjoyed reading this article and learning about the many different messaging apps. The apps that I have heard of that were mentioned are WhatsApp, Snapchat and Tinder, though I only use WhatsApp and Snapchat of the three. One of my friends is studying abroad right now and WhatsApp is a great app to use for this because of its ability to travel across country borders. The fact that you can send pictures and videos and so much more is very convenient and this app definitely comes in handy. Snapchat is also another popular app that I use on a daily basis. I like being able to send random, timed pictures of where I am and what I’m doing. Other popular apps that I use regularly are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and GroupMe. GroupMe is great because it allows you to create group chats with your circle of friends, which may range to a large group of people. The only issue with messaging apps such as these is that your circle of friends must all download the messaging app in order to be able to communicate with one another. I found the plethora of messaging apps to be somewhat overwhelming and because they all function somewhat similarly, couldn’t there afford to be just one messaging app that does it all?

17. Matthew Goldberg March 20, 2015 at 9:42 am #

I really enjoyed reading this article because it is extremely relevant to society today. In our society today, social media and technology has become much more prevalent and important to each and every one of us. And maybe the most important aspect of technology, communication, and using this technology to our advantages. This article does a great job of describing the wide variety of messaging apps and ways for people to talk and text. This article brought up all of the different messaging applications such as WhatsApp, FireChat, SureSpot, and more. This article did a nice job of showing the differences in each app but did not convince me to choosing one and sticking to a specific app. If I am an iPhone user, that comes with iMessage pre-downloaded why am I going to want to go out of my way to download one of these messaging apps?

Although applications like Snapchat and Tinder do involve some sort of communication between people, I would not have considered them a messaging application. Snapchat focuses mainly on photographs, and tinder focuses on images as well. I do think the author did a good job of fitting these applications in this article, because he described the reasoning to want each app. It seemed he associated each application with a type of person, or how you used your phone, and that was an interesting but effective strategy. Overall, I enjoyed reading about all of these new and upcoming messaging apps and how they can benefit me in different aspects of my life.

18. Ashley Scott March 20, 2015 at 10:21 am #

Text messaging is become a very important means of communication between individuals. I found a few things in the article might have been not so common with today’s text users. The article said people use third party apps to avoid SMS fees. I believe phone companies are making unlimited text options to avoid using third party text options. In my opinion, third party applications are necessary when an individual is trying to hide their personal phone number.

Apps like “WhatsAPP” and “Text Free” makes it easier to communication when traveling abroad. During these situations using these apps will help minimize costs for the user. Applications are now making it easier to call other phones over wifi instead of their phone carriers. As long as technology continues to improve so will third party applications.

19. Joe Iuliano April 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm #

This article interests me tremendously because this connects with what our society is going through everyday of our lives. Since we live in a technology centered era, anything that has to do with a cellular device has always some controversy to go with it. In this articles regards, the messaging apps that we are bombarded with is something we interact with everyday of our lives. Now that data is a huge problem more and more people are coming up with these messenger apps that prevent data problems when sending a text, but still the app needs to be ran on data unless wifi is used. Also now more apps are being discovered for people who travel internationally who have to communicate with people from long distances away. All of these apps are ways to get around the text messaging fees. “The appeal of these apps depends on the user. For some, it’s a way to get around SMS fees. This is especially the case if you’re communicating (or just travelling) internationally.”

Unfortunately for some people, they use these types of apps to keep private from others. Furthermore, when using these apps like whatsapp, group me, etc, not many people have knowledge of them since everyone is used to SMS so people download them to talk to people about private things that people won’t know how to get too. There are so many positives and negatives to these messanger apps but at the end of the day people need to be smart when using data through apps and everything that goes on in a smart phone.

20. Tamila Garayo September 18, 2015 at 5:57 pm #

Text Messaging is certainly amazing, this feature has grown into a universal mobile platform. However, new forms of communication have broadened options for SMS, and are beginning to take its place. The growing demand for messaging and voice calling at no cost, has increased tremendously due to the explosion of popular mobile apps. Almost all of them offer some form of voice, video and file-sharing to other users, and of course, free text messaging. Mobile careers can charge up from $30 a month for unlimited plans, why not explore great apps that allow you to do just the same for free? I’ve had an iPhone my whole life, so I know firsthand how annoying it is to send messages to those outside the iOS universe. Once I saw the green bubble, rather than the blue one I knew that meant extra fee’s at the end of the month, coming out of my pocket! Much has changed since then, established free mobile apps have become the new hub for smartphones. They are growing more popular by the minute, so it can certainly be a difficult decision on which service you would like to download. There is densely populated mass of chat apps but if I had to choose, WhatsApp would definitely be my first choice. The mobile text app allows users to send text messages, photos and audio internationally for free. The cross-platform app is perfect, especially for those who have family members who live in other countries. Ever since I can remember, my mom used to go to the Deli and purchase a prepaid calling card. Since installing the WhatsApp Messenger application, it has become our lifeline in keeping us all together. Thorin Klosowski said it best in his article, What’s the Deal with All These Messaging Apps? “WhatsApp is popular for international messaging since you can do it over Wi-Fi without fees. It’s also handy when you have a group of friends who don’t use the same devices. As any Android user can attest, getting looped into an iMessage group message by a bunch of iPhone users is one of the most obnoxious things that can happen. WhatsApp makes sure everyone is on the same page” We are able to connect to friends and family using simple data package, the app does the job it promises and I recommend it to all users with family outside the United States.
    If you haven’t used Snapchat yet, you most likely heard about it. The mobile app allows subscribers to send photos and videos with a 1 second to 10 second expiration time limit. The popular conception is that it is used by teenagers to send nude photographs, although there may be some truth to that, it is also an effective form of sharing content. Perhaps more intimate than Instagram, it gives an inside look on a person’s life and their daily activities. Although, I do not think it is on the same level as other messaging apps like Line and FireChat. According to Klosowski, “Snapchat sticks to its guns and doesn’t do much more than pictures and video.” Some may argue that Snapchat brilliantly mixes video and texting, making it a runaway success. However, I don’t believe its features provide enough incentive to get users to switch messaging apps. While it may be the world’s hottest social app, it is not the most productive application for long conversations and group messaging.
    It all comes down to personal preference, some may prefer WhatsApp while others may use Facebook Messenger. That goes to say, not everyone will use the same Messaging app as you. Klosowski sums up his article with a valid point, “If you want to use WhatsApp but none of your friends are using it…you can’t really do much with it. You pretty much have to go with what your friends use.” In the digital apps world, everyone is trying to outdo one another. There’s a lot more to messaging these days, making competition very fierce. To help you make the best choice, I think it all depends on what you are looking for. Those who tend to gravitate towards more group based texting should look into applications like GroupMe. If you prefer your messaging app to have the option of also having the ability to playgames, you should look at apps like Tango. Be careful though! You don’t want to download all these messaging apps if you don’t really need them! You may not be paying an additional fee at the end of the month, but you do have storage to now worry about!

21. Ariana G. October 24, 2015 at 4:50 pm #

Reading this article about messaging apps made me think of the group chat that I have with my teammates through a messaging app called GroupMe. Like the applications mentioned, GroupMe is an app to use in place of messaging through the normal messaging feature on your device. I personally enjoy the capabilities of these messaging apps. Since not everyone on my team has an iPhone and a group message will not work properly, GroupMe allows us all to be in contact without any issues or conflicts with different technology. It also allows for the messages and pictures sent to the group to be liked by others in the chat, which makes messaging back and forth a little more entertaining and fun.

In saying that, I am also a user of both WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Using these apps allow for yet another type of back and forth communication that is not the basic text messaging on cellphones. WhatsApp allows me to stay in contact with my best friend who is stationed over seas in Japan, and Facebook Messenger allows me to stay in contact with my family members and friends who do not have text messaging. I feel that messaging apps are a phenomenal technology. They allow for different types of communication besides basic text messaging and give abilities to communicate that may not have been available if the applications did not exist.

22. Samantha R October 31, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

The creation of messaging apps have enabled the means of communication to become more accessible at anytime and anywhere. There are a variety of different reasons that make messaging apps appealing to individuals today, besides its mobility functions. In Thorin Klosowski’s “What’s the Deal with all these Messaging Apps, the author goes into detail about the appeal of these different apps and what each is being used for. After seeing some of the examples discussed, I can say that I am familiar with those mentioned such as Snapchat and WhatsApp. Standard texting is not the only way to communicate anymore and users are taking advantage of every available resource out there.
    Klosowski discussed that messaging apps are appealing due to their cost-effectiveness. This is useful for anyone who “doesn’t want to pay for texting” since the apps allow for free communication, especially when used over Wi-Fi and internationally. In the case of WhatsApp, users use this messaging app to replace texting and it allows for communication among different mobile devices. I find that WhatsApp comes in handy when the individuals I need to speak with have different cell phones. Many of my friends have IPhones, as do I, but I do know some who do not which makes group texting, at times, an inconvenience with delays. If everyone uses WhatsApp, there is no confusion or miscommunication that occurs. I agree with Alexandra La Fata when she said that the app is only as useful as the user itself. This is true in many cases where one can see the benefits rewarded from these messaging apps if each is used to its full potential. Messaging apps have made the lives of many more convenient, mine included.

23. Chris Gattuso October 31, 2015 at 11:14 pm #

This article caught my eye because a couple of months ago I switched from using an iPhone to a Samsung galaxy edge. The Samsung being an android device caused me to realize for the first time how many different messaging apps there are out there. While personally I like the simplicity of the standard text messaging application I see the merit in some of the apps discussed in the article.

I have seen from personal experience the practicality in apps like WhatsApp. A few of my friends have gone into study abroad programs or have just gone abroad for vacation during the summer and winter breaks. They have used WhatsApp to keep in touch with their families and their circle of friends at home while overseas. Over all I can say that it works pretty well because it uses wifi it come in handy to avoid some of the fees when trying to contact people in other countries.

In the current social landscape text, picture, and video messaging have become a very important aspect of life. Personally I fee like people use text to communicate more than phone calls now. However, as the article displays this seem to be changing again. No longer do people simply text there are now specific messaging apps for different purposes like Snapchat for sending pictures that become inaccessible to the normal user after 10 seconds and tinder for online dating. It’s nice to see software technology advance so much. A lot of these messaging apps have some interesting features but personally I prefer the straight forward text messaging app that comes with the standard phone.

24. Kayla James November 1, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

It is crazy to think that just over two decades ago text messaging was invented. Fast forward to 2015 and not only do you have your providers for messaging services, but access to thousands of other SMS applications. As an iPhone user, I prefer to use iMessage and FaceTime as most of my friends have iPhones as well. Although, I will admit when travelling internationally, I always download messaging apps to keep in touch with my tour director and friends on the trip. My two favorite applications to keep in touch are WhatsApp and Snapchat. I like these apps because they are easy to use (in my opinion), have minimal bugs in the software, and are commonly used among the millennial generation.
    I agree with our author, Thorin Klosowski, that “each app is only as useful as the people using it.” While my millennial friends can easily understand the app, I have to be extremely patient with my mother and grandmother in teaching them how to use the app before going abroad. Also, the article mentioned that these apps cannot communicate between one another. This could be a huge problem in cases of emergencies when someone needs to be reached and they have not yet downloaded the available application. Luckily, most young people use several different services (iMessage, Snapchat, GroupMe, Facebook Messenger, etc.) so you can locate them on at least one service. But sadly, this isn’t always the case. While I do use some messaging applications, I do prefer to use to iMessage, Facetime, and even email to send messages. I like the applications and they are amusing, but I want to be sure that when sending messages, I can be confident in knowing that it will be received.

25. Jtantalean November 1, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

I agree that there are many different messaging apps but they provide users with options. The average consumer likes options. Some of these are even better than text messaging because you just need wifi to operate some of them. Therefore, you will not get charged extra if you have a limited texting plan. You can also use these apps if you go international as long as you have wifi somewhere. Or you can use some to talk to others who are in a different country and you can avoid all the harsh fees that some service providers have. For example, I have Whatsapp because I have family in Australia that I like to keep in touch with. So I use Whatapp and Snapchat to communicate with them without the hassle of having to pay a fee to text them.

Groupme is also a convenient app because it lets you set up group chats with different phone users. I know that some of the Android users do not like group chats with iPhone users because it gets confusing and annoying. Yes, there a lot of apps but you only use them if you want to.

26. B.Brar November 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

Different messaging apps have different features in them. I personally love using Whatsapp because it is easier to stay in contact with my family members internationally. It also works for me since I have a huge group of friends with different phones. I find Whatsapp to be faster when sending videos and pictures too. Granted, text messaging was the first application used for messaging and sending pictures but apps like Whatsapp are becoming more popular now.
    Snapchat is another popular app that I am all too familiar with. I think it is the best way to send a video or picture to someone just to show them what is going on in that particular instant of your life. Snapchat also has messaging now which proves to be useful. Like the example given in the article, it is great to use if you just need an opinion or a quick response to something. Sometimes sending a picture just takes too long and it does take up room in storage space of your phone.

27. Samantha Voltmer February 12, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

My generation has been noted as the most social generation, which is very humorous because we spend the majority of our interactions with each other not face-to-face. Since the creation of the iPhone we were given the amazing gift of instant communication at our fingertips. However this communication itself has evolved and continues to evolve. We now have access to many other platforms of communication, such as GroupMe, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp, and many more. The reason behind all of these various platforms is because texting is great, but it is not ideal for every situation. For example many people chose to buy Androids rather than iPhones, which doesn’t seem like a major problem. However it is very difficult to communicate with large numbers of people all at once, Androids simply can’t handle a serious group message. But there is a simple solution, download a third party app.

This article chooses to focus on the alternative messaging app “WhatsApp”, however as of late another application has become more popular in my opinion, that being “GroupMe”. I myself use this app to communicate with the forty plus girls in my new member class for my sorority, over the summer I used it to stay in touch with my PA group here during Pirate Adventure. The app is very convenient because it does not use SMS rather Wi-Fi or data (if you are not connected to Wi-Fi). This is a great way to avoid extra fees. My little sister, before she got an iPhone, used my old iPod touch and was able to text her friends through this application. She wasn’t even on a phone plan but essentially had all the benefits of it. Overall this app, and many others like it are making it easier for mass communication, something that regular text messaging cannot cater to with ease.

In addition to mass group messages, alternative communication applications also offer communication through images. The main instant picture message app is “Snapchat”. Snapchat is very popular right now, it offers its users a way to send pictures that essentially disappear after ten seconds. In addition to sending pictures you can send videos, or share events on your “snapstory” and read articles from the Wall Street Journal, Cosmopolitan, and many more through the “Discover Channel”. Also Snapchat offers a way to send money to other people, which I personally find a bit odd, but I am sure someone loves it. Many celebrities and companies are using Snapchat to promote their image and business. For example Kylie Jenner frequently uses her snapstory, which is a channel in which the public can view whatever you post onto it for twenty-four hours. Recently she turned it into a twenty-eight part (since the segments can only be ten seconds long) movie. I personally have not seen this, nor desire to, however I can almost guarantee she was promoting either her new clothing line or lip kit. Applications like these open new doors for marketers. They now have access to many viewers from all over the world, with different backgrounds, and interests; and it is because of these apps that people like Kylie Jenner are so popular.

Another application that is very popular, especially on college campuses is “Yik Yak”. The article focuses on an application similar to this called, “Firechat”. Essentially both offer the same service of anonymous communication with those within one hundred mile radius of you. Its main appeal is that it is anonymous, giving users to say whatever is on their mind. On Yik Yak you can even up vote or down vote on the messages and polls. This is another great avenue for marketers and companies in general, because these polls are seen and voted on by thousands around the world.

This is another reason why alternative messaging services are extremely popular right now, it is because they connect us to places and people we wouldn’t even dream of knowing without them. On Snapchat you can view local stories of day-to-day lives of those who live in Germany or see pictures and videos of major musical festivals, the Oscars, or even the Presidential debates. Yik Yak lets us see what people in Sydney, Australia really think about their lives. So even though my generation doesn’t have nearly as much face-to-face communications as others, we have the extreme privilege of expanding our communication outside our immediate circles, and connect us to thousands of lives around the world.

28. Justina Baskin February 13, 2016 at 1:06 am #

Living in the generation where the simplest form of communication is via text messaging, where we live in a world that no words are actually spoken. This generation has become different and has even allowed older generations to accept that this is the way of communicating with one another will be. Not only do people just communicate through text message, but our generation also communicates through social media. I personally feel as though communicating through other forms of social networks is unnecessary. I believe that social media is another form of distraction to live in the real world. The fact that today it is acceptable to make a routine of checking all your social media when you wake up each morning is something crazy. Also another fact, spending real time with someone becomes shocking when the other person isn’t checking their cell phones or social networks.

Human interaction is more of a shock when it occurs than receiving a text from someone. Today we can not live in a world that social media isnt talked about in our everyday conversation. What has made the trend a necessity? Is it because ones satisfaction comes from feedback of another’s reaction to what one does in the day? The need for someones acceptance and feedback, craves the attention of that person. When we use other social networks, we receive a notification thus making us curious as to what they are saying and if we dont answer, is that it or do we ever hear back from them again? We are living in a society and generation of people where immediate responses are expected and if we don’t get them we feel concerned. Therefore, being someone who is considered in this generation, the “deal” with all the social networking apps is for the need to be notified as immediate as possible.

29. Parth Parikh February 18, 2016 at 9:25 pm #

I agree wholeheartedly with the preliminary writer who writes about why there are so many applications to do a simple task, which is texting. Texting and messaging in a simple, not-to-hard task that involves a platform and a keyboard. The simplest of programs that application developers can develop is a messaging application and enhance it to make it different than everyone else. Ideas like Instagram and Snapchat never suited me and I despise applications that are not even messaging anymore but a compilation of pictures and images going back and forth. I prefer to stay with the messaging application the phone has installed in my phone and I do not plan on adding and downloading more applications that do the same job and task as my preloaded Messaging application that I already have.
    I will admit that applications like Viber and Whatsapp do has its benefits and features that make it stand out as opposed to the basic applications. Viber and Whatsapp help in sending messages to foreign countries. By bypassing the foreign messaging fees that mobile service providers charge customers, customers with family that live in other countries can use these applications to stay close with their loved ones and are able to communicate with them without having to pay the fees to the cell phone providers. Also, both enable calling, so you can call other family members abroad without having to pay per minute to the cell phone providers. The charges cell phone providers charge for are long distance and foreign texting and phone calls, so using applications like Viber and Whatsapp will save customers a lot of money and be able to connect themselves with family and loved ones who live in far off countries and do not have the option or the ability to constantly meet family.
    Me, personally, I would like to use Viber or Whatsapp because being an Indian-American, I have family in India that I never necessarily was close with from the beginning because I never got the chance to talk to them whenever I wanted due to distance. Growing up I was never as close as I wanted to be but with applications like Viber and Whatsapp, I can talk to my family and be more close to my aunts, uncles and cousins back home in India. Applications like that are not only helpful are resourceful, but they are the kind of applications that everyone with that kind of problem needs. Applications like those are what companies like Google and Apple intended to see when they created an application store and a platform where people can create applications that people will use. Such applications would benefit so many people and take away the unnecessary profits that companies like Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint get when they take money from us with foolish and insane charges and fees like foreign calling fees and international texting charges that are not only bad, but cost a lot too. I am very thankful to companies like Whatsapp and Viber for helping people like us out and giving us a worthwhile application that we can actually use.

30. KoL Unger February 19, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

As someone is about to spend a semester abroad, I knew I would probably soon have to download a messaging app to avoid international fees. This article gave me the perfect run-down and review of myriad of apps that play this role. While each app offers different features, one thing they all have in common is the ability to transmit messages through Wifi for free. Sadly, they also have a lot of downsides. I had two questions posed in my mind as I began to read the article, “Do I want a messaging app or should I just use iMessage?” and “If I do get a messaging app, what is going to be the best one?”

The most popular messaging app used is WhatsApp. Whatsapp, when on Wifi, acts just like the texting on your phone with even more features. On any messaging app, one can only communicate with others who have the app, and other people can only text you if they have the app as well. For this reason, Whatsapp’s popularity is its best feature. It would be difficult to convince all your friends to use their scarce storage space and download an app dedicated solely for the purpose of texting one individual. However, a lot of people already have Whatsapp so adding you as a contact is no problem. Its popularity also means that the app is available for most phone models so you are not limited in the friends you can communicate with.

While Whatsapp remains the most popular, there are numerous other options. Most interesting among these was Surespot. Surespot encrypts your messages and protects them from the NSA or other hackers. While protecting my privacy of text should be something I am concerned with, my want to download an app that my friends already have or are more familiar with is more important.

In evaluating my decision, I wanted to see what these apps could provide that iMessage, which I already use, did not. The only feature that I could come up with is the ability to text with non-iPhone users. The decision became much easier at this point. Do many of my friends/family not have an iPhone? Will I need to communicate within those six months with the people who do not? Most of my contacts have iPhones, and the ones who do not are also the ones who I don’t text often. I have decided to forgo downloading any messaging app for my trip. While iMessage wins out, it does possess a common problem with the rest of the apps. If you don’t want to accrue international data fees, you can only receive and send texts when you have Wifi. This is rather inconvenient if you are out all day and not connected to Wifi. However, if you are in a different country then another person the matter is not likely to be urgent so it is a problem that can be easily put up with.

I personally do not see much point in the variety of messaging app, unless you are travelling internationally. While I understand that they all possess their own special features, the whole point of texting is having people to text. If no one you are close with uses the app, there is absolutely no point in having it. Yes, you may be saving yourself on some texting fees (though most people have unlimited texting plans) or protecting your privacy, but all of this is irrelevant if you aren’t able to text anyone. In today’s technology centered society, you have to be able to text people and do it without making them download a certain app. While I think there is a place for a singular texting app for people communicating internationally and do not have iPhones, I see no need for the numerous apps that have been created.

31. Wendy Chen February 19, 2016 at 8:56 pm #

I have wondered the title too because there are so many different messaging apps to choose from and I like all my messages kept in one bunch. The three main messaging apps that I use are iMessage, Snapchat, and Messenger, but I don’t really use Snapchat for solid conversations since they self-destruct unless someone screenshots or saves the chats. iMessage works between other iPhone users which is great, but group chats with other phone users can be hard, so I often use Messenger for group chats. It’s also easier since a lot of people still use or have Facebook, so Messenger is something that is a common ground for a lot of people. I like using Snapchat because it can work like sending a text to a group chat when you want more than one reply, except that the conversation will still only be between you and the other person. If I wanted to go for lunch with someone, I could send one snap asking if anyone would like to grab lunch and send it to a number of people rather than individually texting that same number of people the same text of if they would like to get lunch. It’s also easy to share tiny bits of my day with several people at a time without having to engage in a full conversation or text the same thing to more than one person. I like Snapchat, but I will only use for its purpose of ten second snaps. I like using iMessage and Messenger for conversations.
    The article was informative on the reasons why people use different messaging apps and it reminded me of the Quad app that high school seniors use upon getting admitted to a college. I don’t know if Quad is still in the app store because around last year, Quad notified us that the app was being shut down, but I’m sure there are other apps that work the same way as Quad did. The purpose of Quad was to create a safe environment for people to get to know their future classmates of a certain graduating class for a certain school. I joined several Seton Hall Quad groups and there was one group chat that people actually used and talked on about each other, where they’re from, what they like, the naps they’re taking, etc. It was a fun way to interact with your classmates, and you didn’t even have to be enrolled for the school or even admitted to the school to join the group chats since it was just a safer way to get to know other people interested in the schools you’re interested in. Quad was like Facebook groups for different colleges, except that 1) you didn’t have to get accepted into the page and 2) it was already an integrated chatting system rather than a larger page where you conversed through comments. Quad was also not exclusive to just college group chats as anyone could create their own chat and you were also allowed to talk one-on-one with other people. Quad was similar to other messaging apps, but for the purpose of focusing on college interactions.
    I had knowledge of most of the messaging apps that the article offered except for FireChat which even the article described as one of the more interesting messaging apps since it’s an anonymous group chat that is with local users of nearby Wi-Fi or through Bluebooth. Apparently, FireChat doesn’t need an internet connection, just a real life physical connection of 100 yards to the other person and the chatting can begin, and since you’re anonymous, no one really knows who you are, so that’s a little less creepy and more borderline cool, especially for times when there is no internet connection. The article says there has so far been no alternatives to FireChat, but the concept of FireChat reminded me of another social app Yik Yak that isn’t exactly a messaging app but it integrates the idea of local anonymity. I have not gotten around to be a avid Yik Yak user and I might download it again, but as for FireChat, it’s interesting, but I think it’s a little more on the wild for me. I like talking to people I know.

32. M.A February 20, 2016 at 12:52 am #

The idea of having so many messaging apps that have nearly the same functions is disturbing. Time after time, we hear about a new messaging app that has a certain feature that makes it unique. But in reality, they all are the same. In addition, they have no significant difference that the regular text messaging nowadays. What bad about having many messaging apps is people are less sociable now, which affect their personalities. It is funny to have all these apps, and have the same people in each of those apps.

What scary about the idea of having so many messaging apps is people use them, and agree to the terms and conditions, that nobody ever read. We never know what those apps developers would do with text we send, the pictures we sent, the voice notes, and the videos. As an example, snapchat now has a term where it can use the snaps people send or videos and share it anywhere they want. This particular term harms the privacy of the users. Also, we do not know the level of security each app has, to know if hackers could break in and steal the users information, including the messages, the pictures or any other things people send to each other.

As final thoughts, having so many messaging apps is confusing. Also, it makes people less sociable, and decreases face-to- face interaction. Every time people get together, it is sad to see them using their phones, heads down texting or snapchatting. In my opinion, it is a waste of money and effort to have same features in so many messaging apps. Finally, social media is affecting our natural communication skills.

33. A.M February 20, 2016 at 4:49 pm #

The increased number of social media application is just surprising. Human beings love communicating, and they are always interested on trying something new and different. Which is why there are competition between one app to another. It’s a matter of how we can attract a user and keep him/her from using any other app but ours.

The reason why people don’t just use text messaging because in some countries you have to pay for text messaging, and it’s expensive to the point that no one uses it.

With all these social media applications, many phone companies are losing money, since people depend more on these applications when it comes to texting and calling. Which is why some countries has prevented certain applications from being used. For example, in Saudi Arabia Whatsapp and Viber calls do not work. The government prevented them from working due to the huge number of users for those two applications.

I personally think most of these social media applications are time consuming, and useless if used improperly. I think people should use social media and messaging applications to serve their needs, rather than wasting their time. This reminds me of a famous quote by Henry David Threau when he said that “We have become the tool of our tools.”

34. Kevin A February 20, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

I myself use an alternative-messaging app. I prefer to use Groupme, which is not mentioned in this article. I use it simply because it has features that are not found in regular texting provided by iPhones. Groupme is better used when in a large group for example I have several group messages on the app from my fraternity’s Groupme, which has thirty people, to my Groupme with my friends from home, which has only four. With this app it is easier to manage such groups
    For example you can silent groups so that your phone isn’t constantly going off while other members have conversations within the group. You can easily remove or add yourself without starting a new group chat like you are required to in iPhone text messaging. It is also easier to be involved without wasting so much time for example, rather than typing or ignoring a message you can easily like a message someone put in the group by using the like button. Apps like these have more advantages than regular texting, which is why people would rather use them than regular texting. Although I use both the Groupme app and regular texting, I do find it more convenient to use the Groupme and would recommend it to anyone.

35. Jessica Matos February 23, 2016 at 12:03 am #

It is confusing seeing all these different messaging apps and not knowing which is the best. I mostly only use text messaging, but I have tried two messaging apps called GroupMe and Viber. I use GroupMe now because someone in one of my groups for a class wanted to use that instead of text messaging. I personally rather not use any messaging app at all and just have all of my conversations in one place, but everyone is different. I attempted to use Viber while on a cruise to Bermuda three summers ago. The app had to connect to Wi-Fi for me to be able to receive messages or send messages. I ended up paying for a Wi-Fi package for the computers on the ship instead of my phone, because it would have been more money for my phone. I would have constantly been on my phone bringing the bill to be higher and higher. Purchasing the package on the computers on the ship made me use the internet less, and I focused more on the vacation then my phone. I deleted the app instantly.
    I did not quite understand why people would use these messaging apps when there is text messaging, but the article pointed out something important that I did not realize. Not everyone has unlimited text messaging. These apps offer unlimited text messaging and then the user does not have to worry about a huge phone bill every month. Also, communicating with people from different countries is much easier with these apps. There is extra cost involved with different country communications and these apps make it cheaper and easier for the users. WhatsApp seems to be one of the popular messaging apps right now and if I travel in the future internationally, then I will consider this app to make things cheaper.
    FireChat is used with people within one hundred yards from each other and does not require an internet connection to use. If the two people are that close to each other, then they both do not need to use this app. The users can just speak face-to-face and save the hassle of communicating through this app. The article does make a good point that if the cell service is down then this app can be used to communicate with others, but I still feel that if people are that close, then he or she can communicate to each others face. I think Tinder is a great app and is working. I know a some people that have met through Tinder and things are working out for them all. Tinder makes it so easy for people to meet up with each other and see if there is a connection.
    Although there are many messaging apps in the world, I think text messaging will stay around for a while. It is still the main source people use to communicate with and everyone in his or her contact lists would have to be using the same app which is unlikely and impossible. Some people are going to like one app, while others like a different app. No one is going to want these several communicating apps on his or her phone and it just makes things easier to stick with text messaging.

36. Luciana L February 23, 2016 at 2:48 pm #

There are so many messaging apps that it’s hard to keep track. You have Kik, What’s App, Tinder, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, and those are the only ones that I actually know of. I must say that I use Snapchat, messenger, and not going to lie tinder, but for different reasons. But I do not see that point of using any of the other ones that are basically the same things as texting. Now if you are under the ager of 13, don’t have a cell phone and have to stick to relying on an iPod or iPad to talk to your friends than I guess I understand. Then again this is 2016 and what 10 year old doesn’t have an iPhone now?
    There are other apps that have messaging in them but that is not their main function. Facebook Messenger is just a separate app you can download so you don’t have to actually be on Facebook, this is good way for group messaging if you don’t have certain numbers. Tinder is used for dating and when you match with someone you can talk to him or her for whatever reason you have. I feel that unless you follow under those categories, why not just text like everyone else does? There really is no need for so many apps, but that doesn’t mean that people are going to stop making them.

37. Imani Broadway February 26, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

Text messaging and social media are a huge way of communication between our generations now-a-days. Before someone thinks about calling a friend or a family member they will text them or direct message them on any social media site such as Facebook or Twitter. In the article “What’s the Deal All These Messaging Apps?” Thorin Kiosowski is discussing the different types of messaging apps that are available to everyone to use instead of the normal iMessages and Texting that comes along with phone.
    In this article Kiosowski mentions a few different apps used for messaging but the main one discussed is WhatsApp. This app is apparently “one of the most popular in the world” when it comes to messaging apps. WhatsApp allows you text other phone numbers works for devices such iPhones, Windows phones, Androids, and Blackberry’s. The app is describe as “any old text messaging app, but you can create group chats, send photos, videos, voice messages, and share your location using your data plan and not your SMS plan.” This sounds great for people who have unlimited data and a low SMS plan, a lot of people have messaging services where they only are allowed a certain number of text throughout the month. While others have unlimited services, so this allows them to text as much as you but the down fall being that you always have to be in an area that has service or Wi-Fi. Another app mentioned is called FireChat but this app requires Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and you can only talk to people around that are on the same Wi-Fi or Bluetooth as you. Which I find to be very pointless because not every time you go out somewhere will others be on the FireChat app. I also feel as though it would be easier to just ask someone for their number and text them. Another app is Tinder which I remember was very popular last year. This was a dating and texting app Kiosowski describes it as “high-tech version of passing a Do You like me? Check this box note in grade school.” This app was also closely connected to Facebook so some of the people that might have popped up could be your friends from Facebook. The profile picture and bio used on your tinder profile were also from your Facebook.
    I honestly have not heard of WhatsApp for it to be known as “one of the most popular in the world” or Firechat. I have used many texting apps in my younger years when I had an iPod touch when everyone else had an iPhone. One of the apps I used was called “TextNow” which allowed me to text and call whoever I wanted when I was under Wi-Fi. With this app I was allowed to pick a new number that I would like to use and also change the layout and the design of the messaging app. I have not used a texting app in a while but recently started when one of my closes friends joined the Air Force and was stationed in South Korea. Any calls or text messages between us would be a small charge because of the international fees that would apply. We both have IPhones so it makes it easy for us to text, share videos, photos, and facetime with no problem. When it comes to making phone calls is where the problem comes. My friend had to get a texting app which allows him to call me without either one of us being charged with international calling. I believe these texting apps have been a great allowing people to use other numbers to text and call people without having to be charged a fee for anything.

38. Doris Motta October 28, 2017 at 6:30 pm #

Gone are the days when communication was so simple. Technology surely has made positive and negative impacts on the evolution of communicating. We are given so many more options now on how to reach out to a friend or loved one. We no longer need to meet someone in person to have a “face to face” conversation with video chatting. However, with our busy daily lives, having that feature and capability on our phones or any apps is very helpful. I didn’t even realize there are so many other options for messaging. I personally use WhatsApp frequently and mostly to communicate with family members in another country. I remember a calling card was needed to make that phone call and now all I must worry about is having a good data plan or Wi-Fi connection and within seconds, I am connected on the phone with family.

I agree that our choices from messaging options, depend on our need for it. Snap Chat for example is simply how its named, to snap a photo, send the photo and chat if you wish. I do not like to use it for chatting as conversations are not always saved and you can easily lose track of a conversation. It is mostly used to have a quick private chat session on a picture or video that a friend posted. Instagram has expanded its chatting features as well. You can have a private message with anyone you follow, where previously it was required for both to have the messenger for any private messages. Like Snap Chat, you can view pictures that are posted as a story for twenty-four hours and comment or not if you desire.

Personally, I think too many messaging apps for me is too much to keep track of. I would much rather have one app for whichever reason I need it for. I use my phone for regular text messaging and WhatsApp for my family outside of the country or when I travel. To maintain my social network and communication with anyone outside of text messaging, I use Instagram, Facebook and occasionally Snap Chat. All the other apps do not catch my attention except for Emu due to its organizational features. Fire chat I did see there was a comment on the blog site indicating that if within 100 yards, why not just go up to the person and talk. I agree to a certain extent because this isn’t easy for everyone to do. This app would help to break the ice and talk with someone nearby. Also, I wonder if this would cause for less human connection and cause our society to depend on an electronic device to speak with each other.

39. Britania Banton October 18, 2018 at 5:22 pm #

I am one of those people who have all the messages the apps like WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook Messengers, Snapchat and my regular messager. Each one to me has a numerous way of using, for instance, WhatsApp I use for my family who is in Jamaica and is able to only contact me through it. For Kik, I used it in high school and to this day I still keep in contact with those friends. For Facebook Messengers, I use it for associating with Rider students. Snapchat is a social media messenger which I do not use that but. Finally is my typical Android messenger which I use every day to tell family and friends.
    Each messenger app has different uses and options. Not everyone like their basic messenger which come with their smartphones. For an Android phone, we do not have FaceTime, iPhone does so instead people find different apps to satisfy that need of there. Technology has advanced throughout the years now we have many numerous messengers to communicate through which is an excellent thing. But who does not appreciate their basic messengers without all those features?

40. Monique Edward October 19, 2018 at 5:14 pm #

Technology has undoubtedly evolved over the years. To save users money on extra text message fees (according to their plan), users can download free apps that serve as features to a cellphone. This article justifies the various needs for different apps. The technological evolution over the years, which includes face-to-face conversations, landline telephones, e-mail, pagers, and smartphones has brought society to converse through text in many different forms. With a variety of text message applications, it is evident that many applications have a purpose; however, many applications are short-lived because it is too similar to one another.
    In the mid-2000s, people either called a person or texted them. Presently, one can text, send an iMessage, Whatsapp, Kik, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and Hangout to converse with one another. Although there are many to choose from, I think only a few have a purpose, and the others are unnecessary. I find the Facebook messenger app beneficial because it allows acquaintances to contact me without having my phone number and it is an easy way for anyone to contact me (even if they are not my friend on Facebook). Another app that I find beneficial is Whatsapp because I can keep in touch with my family members outside of the U.S. without paying extra charges. Lastly, I enjoy using Snapchat because I can send and receive messages along with a picture. Although it is an enjoyable app, I find myself using Snapchat to keep in touch with my friends more than my phone’s text message app. Therefore, popular apps that have more features (pictures, video chatting, and filters) are used more often than limited applications, such as Kik, iMessage, and WeChat.

• Monique Edward October 19, 2018 at 5:15 pm #

In the mid-2000s, people either called a person or texted them. Presently, one can text, send an iMessage, Whatsapp, Kik, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and Hangout to converse with one another. Although there are many to choose from, I think only a few have a purpose and the others are unnecessary. I find the Facebook messenger app beneficial because it allows acquaintances to contact me without having my phone number and it is an easy way for anyone to contact me (even if they are not my friend on Facebook). Another app that I find beneficial is Whatsapp because I can keep in touch with my family members outside of the U.S. without paying extra charges. Lastly, I enjoy using Snapchat because I can send and receive messages along with a picture. Although it is an enjoyable app, I find myself using Snapchat to keep in touch with my friends more than my phone’s text message app. Therefore, popular apps that have more features (pictures, video chatting, and filters) are used more often than limited applications, such as Kik, iMessage, and WeChat.

41. Rose Hyppolite November 8, 2018 at 11:36 pm #

The reasons behind all of these messaging apps are because different apps have different target markets. For example, different countries have restrictions regarding certain apps, therefor those people are only allowed to use certain platforms. Other apps such as Snapchats are more targeted toward the younger generations. With technology advancing, they are different features that also attract different people.

Similar to Britania, I also use to be one of those individuals with the all different apps. Personally, I had those apps to communicate with family abroad, as stated in the article, I also used them for group messaging, and video messaging. Now, I currently use snapchat and Imessage. Certain benefit to these apps are they are free of charge to download and requires no fee for international calls. My parents heavenly rely on WhatsApp to communicate with our family outside of the United States. WhatsApp is now charging for international calls, which is very disappointing to my parents. They are now in the process of searching for a new app that allows them the same leisure they use to have with WhatsApp. As a result of this new change, the number of users on WhatsApp will definitely decrease because a lot of people rely on the no fee calls.

As for the other messaging apps such as Tinder, although I do not see the necessity in using them, they are useful to others. That is how it works with the messaging app. One will find it useful, while the other will not. It will always be this way and I do not see a problem with it.